[20] The frog in the well

The tug of the heart

The next time you saw Luhan, he was sitting upon the stage for the speaking portion of the showcase.  As you watched on the side, you could see Luhan smiling and laughing along with s as the MC asked them questions. At times, Luhan even helped to interpret from Chinese to Korean, even actively answering questions. You watched on a little longer and noticed that in between some questions, Luhan would look at the ground actively, avoiding looking up into the audience. You hadn't had time to ponder over this before a message was played through your headset.

"Eun Mi and Hyun Kyun, please finalise setting and place for the showcase press conference that will be held after the debut showcase" Youngjun informed.

"Heading over now" Hyun Kyun almost immediately replied.

"Copy that" you confirmed, leaving the side stage area.

---

By the time all the preparation for the press conference was finished, Exo were performing their last stage Mama and you were ordered into the dressing rooms to help put everything away once more. Seunghwan would be directing exo into the press conference area, therefore all you and Hyun Kyun had to do was begin packing away the concert. As you folded the stage costumes into the boxes once more you grimaced as you came upon Luhan's stage attire. From the way he snapped at you before and his persona on stage, it was almost like he was putting on an act of Luhan, the exo member as opposed to just Luhan.

"Is everything okay?" Hyun Kyun asked, noticing you were spacing out from packing up the dressing room.

"Huh? Oh sorry, yeah I'm just a bit worried about Luhan." you confided, resuming your task.

"Why, did something happen?" he pressed on, handing the packed boxes to the staff.

"Just, he seems very distant today, and when I asked if everything was okay, he insisted he was fine." you recalled, the image of Luhan's annoyed expression popping up in your head.

"Is that so? This morning when I went up to see if he was okay, he was speaking on the phone very urgently. He looked stressed out." Hyun Kyun admitted.

"Do you think something has happened in his personal life?" you pondered, packing up the last of the stage clothes into the boxes.

"Mmm possibly. It might also be the stress of making a good impression in his hometown tonight." Hyun Kyun pondered, handing the last box to the staff.  The two of you were unable to discuss further as the two of you undertook separate tasks. By the time both dressing rooms had been cleared up and the stage was just about cleared up, the Exo members had finished their press conference and Seunghwan was directing them back to the dressing rooms to wait to be taken back to the dorm. 

"Eun Mi, you better leave with the boys, Youngjun, Seunghwan and I will clear up the remainder." Hyun Kyun informed, as you handed the microphones back to the staff.

"Are you sure? I can stay back and finish up with you guys, the more pairs of the hands, the faster" you offered, trying to keep your mind off everything that had happened.

"No, I think we're just about done, you better take the van back with them" Hyun Kyun insisted, taking your headpiece off. "The van's waiting down in the parking lot, I'll see you back at the dorm later" Hyun Kyun instructed, before fleeing off. You made your way back to the dressing room where the boys were crowded, talking excitedly. You scanned around to see Luhan sat on the couch, still tapping away at his phone. You sighed before calling everyone's attention.

"Exo! Good job on another successful showcase tonight. The van's waiting, let's all head back to the dorm to rest up" you announced, picking your handbag up and leading everyone towards the carpark. As you walked through backstage you looked back to see if everyone was following behind you. After two head counts you discovered Luhan was missing the group. You let Suho, who was following diligently right behind you, know of the situation and told him to take the boys down towards the van whilst you went to go find Luhan. You weaved your way through the boys and made your way back to the dressing room. As you entered you could hear Luhan talking very heatedly on the phone.

"It's fine, the show's already over anyways. I just can't believe this. How could they not even come? I'm their only son for crying out loudly. Yeah, okay I know what they said to me when I left, don't remind me. I'm just trying to show them the success. I'm not getting angry, just how could they? It's fine, the other members all left right now. No, the managers don't know, why would I tell them? It's fine, I have to go anyways." Luhan spoke rather quickly in an angry tone. He ended his call and picked up his backpack before turning to finally face you.

"Luhan, please just tell me-" you began before Luhan cut you off.

"Listen, I told you twice now, I'm fine. Leave me alone." he snapped before pushing past you out of the dressing room. You grimaced, it was like the Luhan of last night and the Luhan of today were two completely different people altogether.

---

You saw Luhan quickly slip into the van as you made it to the carpark, attempting to keep up with Luhan's fast pace.

"Is everyone here?" you asked Suho as he stood outside the second van.

"Yes, everyone's present!" Suho chorused back, giving you a salute. You smiled at his action before pushing him into the van too.

---

Back at the dorm, the boys were happily discussing the course of the two nights that had just been. You had allowed them to have a later night in order for them to properly celebrate.

"Let's all go out!" Chanyeol suggested, Baekhyun and Chen agreeing right away.

"I don't think so, maybe another night." you warned, eyeing Sehun that had already skipped towards the door, putting his shoes on. He quickly spotted your gaze and slipped off his shoes. "I promise we'll go out once the schedules are no longer that hectic, but for now, I don't think it's a good idea to go out" you promised, waving your pinkie finger at Sehun. He quickly waved his finger back before diving to look at Xiumin's phone. The rest of the boys were all lounging around, many checking the social medias pages to see what the fans were saying about the showcase. Although, the second Luhan had entered the dorm he had made a beeline straight to his room, shutting the door behind him. Kris had now gone up there and the two were had been in the room for a while now. You grew anxious and decided to ask Lay.

"Lay, can we talk?" you came by, sitting next to Lay on the couch. He nodded before the both of you made you way into the kitchen.

"What's going on with Luhan?" you questioned, your eyebrows furrowing with worry. Lay sighed slightly, looking towards Luhan's closed door. The two of you were silent for a while before he finally answered.

"I really don't think it's my place to answer. Luhan is going through some personal things right now. Has he been a bit temperamental tonight?" Lay questioned, now looking at you.

"He just seems very angry and annoyed tonight" you admitted. "All I want to do is help" you confessed, feeling a little helpless.

"Of course Eun Mi, we all know that. He just needs to calm down for now" Lay comforted, placing a hand on your shoulder. "Don't think it's your fault at all" Lay stated, bending down until he was eye level with you.

"Now, tell me, how are you?" he genuinely asked, his hand still on your shoulders, a look of worry across his face. Your worry for Luhan had completely overtaken your personal issues and you had momentarily forgot all about what had happened with your Dad.

"Well, I've been just quite busy with this job, I haven't really dealt with the personal issue yet." you admitted. Lay nodded his head in understanding before taking hold of you by the shoulders.

"Just remember, I'm always here to listen, I'll be your personal manager" Lay comforted, before bringing you into a hug. You could feel how sincere and genuine Lay was being as you settled comfortably into his embrace.

---

As the boys began settling down for the night, Kris was still in Luhan's room with Luhan, the door still shut. You eyed the door every once in a while, hoping to see Kris and Luhan emerge, or even just Kris, just so you could know what was going on.

"Eun Mi, are you going to head to bed?" Kai asked, as he stood from the couch, ready to head up the stairs. You tore your eyes away from Luhan's door to see Kai looking at you quizzically.

"Hmm? Oh right, yes, I suppose it's getting quite late now" you reasoned, also getting up from the couch. Kai waited for you to catch up to him before the two of you began climbing the stairs.

"How have these two nights been?" you questioned, looking at Kai in an attempt to distract yourself from looking at Luhan's door for nth time.

"It's been surreal, it's like the last couple of years has just been leading up to these two nights right here and everything that we've been working so hard for, has finally paid off. It's only going to get more crazy from here on in. I hope you're ready for that." Kai jokingly nudged you as the two of you reached the landing of the second level. "Although Hyun Kyun hyung and all the other manager hyung's are great and all look out for us. It's just different having you here too. Thanks for taking care of us" Kai smiled, placing a hand on your shoulder. You blushed slightly at Kai's kind words.

"You guys treat me like such a treasure, I honestly don't deserve it" you smiled back, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear out of bashfulness.

"Sleep well" Kai remarked before heading to the bedroom. Just as you had begun walking towards your own bedroom, the door of Luhan's room had opened and out stepped Kris. You met his gaze and immediately strolled over to him.

"Oh Eun Mi, you're still awake?" he commented, closing the door behind him softly.

"Is everything okay?" you worried, biting your lip as you finished. Kris remained silent for a while, your anxiety growing with every passing second.

"Uhh, well, he's called down a bit now, he just needs to rest, hopefully he'll feel better after a night's sleep." Kris warily replied, choosing his words carefully.  "Don't worry Eun Mi, I'll make sure to take good care of him, I promise. But it really is getting late now, don't make me have to take care of you as well." Kris reassured, before he nudged you back towards your own room.

"Are you sure?" you worried, looking back towards Luhan's door once more.

"Trust me" Kris uttered, and although the worry for Luhan was still there, with these two words, you felt marginally better.

"Thanks Kris, goodnight" you called, resting your hand against your door handle. Kris gave you a quick wave before slipping into his own room. You stood for a while, just staring at Luhan's door down the hallway, your mind swishing around. Just as you were about to enter your room, Luhan's door had reopened, Luhan emerging. You gripped onto your own door handle tighter, as Luhan stepped into the hallway. You were rendered speechless as you stood frozen outside your door, just watching Luhan. Luhan had met your gaze, his face completely expressionless. Although everything seemed to be moving in slow motion for you, Luhan had looked away as quickly as he had saw you, and within seconds he was already inside the bathroom, out of your sights once more. By now, the metal door handle in your hand was already warm and before risking Luhan seeing you in the exact same position, you pushed down on the handle and entered your room.

---

Although you were exhausted from the extensive two days that had passed, the second your head met with your pillow, it was like your thoughts were whirring faster and faster in your mind. Luhan's words echoed in your mind and you couldn't help but overthink so much that your heartstrings almost felt constricting. You tried hard to think back to all the comforting and reassuring words that the rest of Exo had told you, but it was like your mind was set on repeating what Luhan had said over and over.

You're not even close to being my friend.

Finding that you were still wide awake and now a little emotionally hurt, you decided to find comfort in the one thing that brought you comfort even in the hardest of times. As you skimmed through your bookshelf you looked for a pastel blue spine that was creased from being read and read again. You quickly spotted the said book and cradled it in your arm before finding a comfortable spot in your bed once more. The book was the only thing that made you feel connected to your Mother. She had given you this book when you were younger and although at the time you couldn't read that well yet, she had told you that she believed that one day, you could read this book back to front, front to back, upside down and right side up. Almost eighteen years later, after countless times of reading and rereading, you knew every crevice and corner of this book. Although the story was simple; a frog that lived in a deep well that only knew of his own world down in the well and nothing of the outside world, it had a special place in your heart and after almost eighteen years of reading this book, you had never felt more like this isolated frog than you had today.