[12] Forgotten dream

The tug of the heart

The boys were huddled in the main practice room in their last ever practice day in Beijing before their debut. They had already washed up and had been dressed and styled by the amazing stylists of SM. They now stood excitedly with their luggage, chatting away. You checked Lay's watch 6:10pm, the van was scheduled to leave SM at 6:30pm and everyone was just waiting on Hyun Kyun to finish up some calls.

"I think I'm going to burst with excitement" Tao exclaimed, practically bouncing up and down on Chen.

"I know kiddo, I'm excited too, but if you keep bouncing on me, I think I might start sinking into the ground" Chen replied, placing a hand on Tao's shoulder to stabilise him.

"One last huddle guys" Kris called, wrapping his long arms around his brothers. "This is it, we've been waiting for this for so long, on three, ready!"

"1,2,3 FIGHTING!"

----

By 6:26pm all the luggage had been stored in the trunk of the van as it hummed quietly.

"Eun Mi, are you good to ride the taxi over to the airport?" Hyun Kyun confirmed as you stood by the van, seeing the taxi pull in onto the driveway. You nodded earnestly and gave a quick thumbs up.

"See you soon" Hyun Kyun called as he closed the passenger door. You quickly climbed into the taxi behind the van.

"International airport please" you informed the driver, as he began following behind the van.

----

The night sky darkened a lot quicker during the winter and the city lights gleamed brighter against the dark sky. You were texting So young on the way to the airport trying to ease your anxiety.

~So young ~

You'll have the flight to calm down and mentally prepare yourself. Also, you should hit up James when you're over there. I heard there's this new strawberry coffee craze that's going on in Korea these days.

Yourself

I barely have time to even think about what I'm going to wear among Exo-m's debut schedule, let alone ask for time to see friends. Plus, isn’t he coming back soon?

James was the third musketeer in the golden trio. James, So young and yourself had been good friends for a good couple of years, although you've basically been shipping James and So young since you three had first come together. The three of you met at university when you had a group assignment to do. It turns out that the three of you worked really well together earning the highest grade in the class. In the years following, the three of you had grown to become really good friends, keeping in touch even after graduating university. James had travelled to Korea this year for an internship, but the three of you still kept in frequent contact online.

~So young ~

Oh, that's right, well when he comes back you HAVE to take the day off so we can all catch up, it's like our golden trio has become more 'bronzed'. We skipped silver class altogether.

You grimaced at So young's lame joke but couldn't really call her out on it just yet as the taxi pulled up just behind the van. You thanked the driver and paid him whilst he helped take your suitcase out from the boot. As you pulled your suitcase along, you quickly jogged over to the boys as they huddled by the zebra crossing. You did a quick head count as Hyun Kyun pulled out all the relevant documents from his folder.

"Everyone here?" he asked, coming to stand by you.

"All present" you confirmed, nodding.

"We should all hold hands as we cross the big dangerous road hyung, you can be the leader" Chen joked, sandwiching himself between you and Hyun Kyun.

"Alright baby Chen, we'll also get you a stroller once we check in, how's that sound?" Hyun Kyun joked back as the other members giggled behind them.

---

"You're all checked in now, I hope you guys enjoy your flight, thank you for flying with Korean Air today" the airport staff smiled, handing back everyone's passports. During the check in process you had got a little distracted as you watched the air hostesses also check in at their exclusive counter. Their entire look oozed professionalism, from their crisp uniform to their immaculate hairdos, down to their perfect postures you had admired them ever since you were younger. Truthfully, you had wanted to become one yourself, but that dream was shot down when you noticed all their angelic features and near perfect physiques.

"Eun Mi?" Tao whispered, noticing that you hadn't followed the group as they were leaving the counter now.

"Sorry, coming" you snapped back into reality and quickly jogged after the group.

"7:43pm, right on time. The plane is departing at approximately 8:30pm, we have just a less than an hour to kill, please try to stay in groups or at least pairs and make sure everyone is here, where I will stay, by 8:15pm sharp." Hyun Kyun instructed, as he sat down, making himself comfortable in the airport waiting chairs.

"Let's go see if we can get some sweets" Tao excitedly pushed Kris away, hooking his arms through Kris's.

"Xiumin hyung, want to go see if there's any of those trial gaming consoles?" Luhan asked, shaking Xiumin by the shoulders.

"I'll come too, Jongin told me he'll totally kick my at FIFA next time we're together, I need to win" Chen claimed, placing an arm around Xiumin's shoulders. Lastly, Lay had sat down next to Hyun Kyun, chatting with him intently.

"Hyung, do you think we have time to practice tonight?" Lay asked, dancing in his seat.

"Yixing… you've been practicing for a few years now, trust me, take it easy tonight, we'll be practicing with exo-k tomorrow" Hyun Kyun replied, patting Lay on the back. "Right now, just focus on relaxing, take Eun Mi and go explore the airport" Hyun Kyun finished, pushing Lay off the seat and towards you.

"C'mon" Lay smiled, placing a hand on your back as he lead you towards the airport shops.

----

Lay and yourself strolled past the candy store where you saw Tao excitingly pour candy into his paper bag as Kris stood watching him, like a father watching over his excited child.  The two of you ended up at the perfume counters, testing all the perfumes they had on sample.

"How's this one?" Lay asked, sticking a strip of perfume under your nose.

"Too floral" you cringed, scrunching up your nose.

"How about this?" You waved the perfume sample around, before letting Lay smell.

"Smells good, kind of like a sophisticated woman-ly scent" Lay analysed, giving the perfume a thumbs up. You cocked an eyebrow at his strange reply, but decided to go along with it.

"I'll think I'll buy it for my friend" you decided, looking around for the sales assistant.

"Oh yeah, how are your friends reacting to your new job?" Lay ask, setting down the perfume bottle he had in his hand and dumping all the samples in his backpack.

"Well, she was the one that made me go for the interview for this job, so I guess she expected this" you remembered, So young took the whole evening convincing you that you should go for an interview at least and that you'll never know what might happen if you don't try. It was all very dramatic, but you agreed to at least go for an interview in the end.

"Wait... I thought you got the job because of all the articles and pictures?" Lay looked visibly confused as he scratched the top of his head.

"Well, I guess that helped… I was actually on my way to the interview then, suppose that was a weird coincidence." you thought.

"It’s like something that would happen in a drama" Lay commented, as the two of you made it up to the front counter.

"Yeah…. Right" you hesitated. "Where’s my handsome prince that seemingly fixes all my problems and all the other girls are jealous of me" you joked, flipping your hair back.

"You have six of them; us!" Lay grinned. You thanked the shop assistant and carefully put the perfume into your bag, laughing along with Lay.

---

By 8:10pm the boys had already made their way back to where Hyun Kyun was seated and were chatting amongst themselves as Hyun Kyun tapped on his phone busily. You took this opportunity to reply to So young's lame joke and message James.

Yourself

Hey James, I'm heading to Korea tonight, but I probably won't be able to catch up, hectic schedule.

~ Handsome James ~

Yeah, So young told me, manager of a new kpop boy band? That's a step up from your last job; personal assistant.

Yourself

Tell me about it, although my last boss was pretty high maintenance. Do you remember that time she made me hand cut all her stupid party invitations? At least with this job, I don't have to cut spirally patterns into cardboard.

~ Handsome James ~

How could I forget, you made So young and I help you that night, actually it was more like threatened us. I cut so much damn cardboard that night, that's the sole reason my hands are so callous now.

Yourself

You're such a baby, anyways, when does your internship end? When are you flying back to the motherland?

~ Handsome James ~

In about two weeks, So young told me to bring her all these cosmetics and I haven't bought a thing yet. Did she make you bring her stuff back too?

Yourself

Hah, I don't even have time to see you, even for some strawberry coffee, let alone go shopping. You're a funny one James.

~ Handsome James ~

You should totally try that when you're here though, it's totally your style. Well, you know what they say, there's always a funny, amazing, gorgeous one in a group of three. It just happens to be me.

You rolled your eyes at James's lame comment, So young and James were perfect for each other you thought, just as an announcement played over the speakers.

Flight 224 flying to Incheon, South Korea will begin boarding from gate 23. Flight 224 flying to Incheon, South Korea will begin boarding from gate 23. Thank you.

"That's us boys… and girl" Hyun Kyun announced, glancing at you. The boys followed behind Hyun Kyun as he made his way to the gate counter, Tao still munching on lollies from his paper bag.

"Would you like one?" he offered, facing the paper bag in your direction. You politely declined, Chen diving for the bag instead.

"Tao never shares his sweets, only sometimes with Kris" Xiumin informed, cheering on Chen.

----

The eight of you settled into your seats as the air hostesses began the safety procedures. Kris, Chen and Lay in one row, Hyun Kyun, Xiumin and Luhan in another, and lastly, yourself and Tao in the middle aisle.

"Eun Mi, you can totally sleep on my shoulder if you want" Tao whispered, placing the bag of sweets in the pouch in front of him.

"Doubt it, he'll probably fall asleep on you first" Luhan commented, reaching over the aisle to inform you. You laughed as Tao began bickering with Luhan just as the air hostesses brought warm towels around, effectively putting a stop to their bickering.

"How do you feel?" you whispered to Tao, as the plane began quietening down, the lights dimming.

"Good, I feel good. We've all waited for this for a couple of years now, all twelve of us. It just feels really good knowing that soon I'll be standing on stage with my eleven brothers and we've all finally made it" Tao whispered back, his face lighting up with each word he spoke. 

"Sleep now, we need to rest up" you advised, smiling back at Tao's happiness.

"Goodnight Eun Mi" he murmured, getting comfortable on his neck pillow. "See you in Korea"

----

The cabin was definitely quiet now, you checked your watch, 9:45pm Beijing time. Roughly thirty more minutes until you arrived in Korea. You had tried to sleep or at least nap, but thoughts just kept whizzing through your mind. You peeked at Tao next to you, you saw he was well asleep, his mouth hanging slightly ajar. You looked back to see Chen sleeping on Kris, whilst Lay had settled into the corner of his chair. You looked to your right to see Xiumin had his head on Hyun Kyun's shoulder, snoring softly, Hyun Kyun's head balanced on top of Xiumin's. Lastly, Luhan had had his back facing you but you presumed he was also sleeping. You stared at Luhan's back a little longer, watching for his breaths, but was suddenly startled as he shifted around, now facing you. Apparently he wasn't asleep like you thought as he was now looking back at you.

"Can't sleep?" you yawned, pulling the blanket closer to you.

"Not really" he admitted, just loud enough for you to hear.

"Want me to tell you a story?" you whispered, careful not to wake the others. Luhan continued looking at you, nodding so softly you wouldn't have seen it if you weren't already looking at him.

"When I was younger..." you started, as Luhan got more comfortable in his blanket. "I had admired the flight attendants whenever I was on a flight. Their uniforms, their manners, their grace… everything. To me, they were like angels in the sky, literally, and I had wanted to be one of them when I was older." you continued, thinking back to when you were younger.

"Then...?" Luhan prod on, listening intently.

"Then I realised, their perfect physiques, their almost porcelain features and their warm faces, and I kind of gave up on that dream." you finished, now looking at the floor of the cabin. The two of you remained silent for a while, with only Xiumin's light snores being heard. Luhan was the one to break the silence, whispering so quietly you had to stop breathing just to hear him.

"I know what's it like to believe a dream is impossible, but hey, look at me now." He chuckled quietly. "Even if no one else does, including yourself, I believe you can achieve your dream Eun Mi."

 

 

 

So, I had to change a small detail in exo-m's flight schedule, since I realised it only took about 2ish hours to get to Korea from Beijing. (lol technical error >_<) Please comment if you find any other technical errors.

Much love ♥ ♥