[4] Almost starting

The tug of the heart

 

You froze, your eyes slowly widened with each second. Reality came rushing back at you and you scrambled up from the floor, managing to whack Lay in the process. You gasped out in horror and began apologising profusely. But that didn’t stop you from flying out of the room, past Luhan and back into yours. You buried yourself in your bed covers all the blood rushing to your face. You screamed internally into your pillow as you began flailing around in your bed. You lay there for a while, face down. You were slowly losing breath and air so you cocked your head to the side, your bookshelf had come into focus and you mentally began counting each one to distract yourself. 45,46,47….. Yours eyes began to flutter close and you just let them.

 ------

 

"Xiumin, why don't you go get Eun Mi" Kris called as he set down the forks and spoons.

"Can I go? I'll go get her!! What about me duizhang I can do it!!" Tao repeatedly bickered as he sprinted to the stairs. Xiumin's eyes still set on the television as if he didn't hear a word Kris said.

"Be careful!" Kris called as he eyed the maknae suspiciously. You had remained in the same position and were half awake when you heard footsteps trampling towards your door.

"Eun Mi, are you in there?" Tao called softly as he knocked on your door. You scrutinized your face believing that this was just a dream, you felt so comfortable so you let your eyes get the better and you fell back asleep.

Tao's POV

No audible sound could be heard through Eun Mi's room so I decided to take a peek. I cautiously opened the door and craned my neck to see, and what I saw was that she had fallen asleep on her bed, legs dangling off the side, her lips tuned up ever so slightly. I formed a plan in my mind and smiled at myself as I put it to action.

Eun Mi's POV

You were dressed in a princess gown and lay on the grassy plains, you closed your eyes and took in the scent of fresh air and grass. You fantasized about how wonderful it would be to be able to remain like this, in pure bliss. Abruptly two arms had encircled your body and hoisted you up, the arms took you down a hill were food could be smelt, you perceived more voices and you knotted your eyebrows in disapproval. The arms began shaking you and you buried your head into the unknowns’ chest in annoyance. The voices laughed and you slowly began gaining consciousness. You awoke to the smiling face of Tao as he looked down at you grinning smugly. He placed you on the ground and your legs wobbled their way over to the dinner table. You took a seat and tried to regain feeling by swaying your legs. Tao had claimed a seat on your right whilst Chen on your left.

"Bon appetite" Lay sang as he set down the last dish. They began digging in whilst you sat there blinking at all the dishes set out, you hadn't quite come back to your senses and had trouble grasping what exactly you were supposed to do at that moment.

"I know I make delicious food but it's even tastier if you eat it" Lay laughed as he placed a piece of sushi onto your plate.

"He's right noona, here have some of mine" Tao added on, dumping a whole bunch of vegetables onto your plate.

"Don't even try that" Kris intervened as he grabbed your plate to scrape all the vegetables back onto Tao's plate. Tao feigned a defeated look and shoved a piece of broccoli into his mouth.

----

 

You offered to clean up after dinner was over; if you were going to stay here you wanted to pull your own weight. You would begin working tomorrow but you thought little of it since you didn't want to stress yourself out. Lay had also offered to clean up whilst the other members didn't give it a second thought and jumped at the chance to avoid house chores. Kris had decided to take Tao out for a jog whilst Xiumin and Chen raced each other up the stairs to play video games. Luhan had absentmindedly wandered to sit at the bench beside the fountain.

"How is the house so far?" Lay questioned as he took his spot washing whilst you dried, just like the first day.

"I haven't had time to explore just yet, but you're all very nice" you smiled making it as convincing as you could. In truth, you had wanted Luhan to maybe soften up a bit, but to no avail.

"I'm sorry Luhan isn't quite as nice" he prod on, as if reading your mind. You grimaced but let it go.

"It'll take time" you replied. “Sorry about before” you apologized quietly as you flared up.

“It’s alright, I know you didn’t mean it, Luhan startled me too” Lay laughed.

“You’re cooking is really good” you complimented in an attempt to lighten the mood, frantically trying to move on.

“I’m a better eater though” he joked. The two of you laughed out, the mood lightening with it.

----

 You waited impatiently at the door of the bathroom, whoever was in there had already spent close to an hour in there. Your things were bundled in your towel that you hugged close to your chest.

“What takes so long” You grumbled to yourself as you eyed the door angrily, hoping it would magically open.

“Open sesame” you whispered, pointing a finger at the white door. As if almost magic the door opened revealing a topless Luhan. He glanced over at you and raised his eyebrows in suspicion.

“You know that there’s a bathroom in your actual room right?” he smirked, a towel ruffling through his wet hair. You gulped and rushed into the bathroom, locking it in record time.

*Guess she didn’t then heh* Luhan thought as we trailed his way back into his own room.

-----

You nervously fiddled around as you waited by the door, the clock read 5:57 and it seemed like you waited for forever. You thought back to the incident last night and mentally whacked yourself at how stupid you would have looked. You scolded yourself and fell back onto the couch squirming about. *Why must you act so embarrassing, WHY.* The ring of the doorbell travelled through the air slapping you back into reality again. You ran your way towards the door, pulling it open a little too harshly. You found a man in jeans and jacket tapping away at his phone in the door frame.

"Oh you were quick" he exclaimed, a little surprised.  "Hi I'm one of the other two managers; I'll be with you for the first two days so you can see what to do. We have time today, so I'll wake them up and we'll have breakfast, oh and here’s the schedule” he tossed a folder at you patting you on the back as he slid into the house.

"No need hyung, everyone is already up and I'm starting breakfast now." Kris smiled as he descended down the staircase. “Though some might fall back asleep i.e Tao” he added on chuckling slightly. Luhan groggily followed rubbing his eyes whilst walking down the stairs.

The manager had smiled at them affectionately as he trampled up the stairs to greet the others.

"Let's go Eun Mi, help me yeah?" Kris sang as he pushed you into the kitchen.

“Uh, let me just put this away” You replied waving the folder at him.

You skipped back up the stairs and into your room; you sat at the desk and took out the paper.

Exo-m schedule 22/03/12

08:00- MBC Radio Interview

12:00- China Vogue Photo shoot + Interview

17:00- Hyundai Shopping Complex fan meeting

18:00- End.

You sighed out and placed the paper back in its folder. You eyed your battered watch; you were due for a new watch but never bothered to get one.

“Looks like you’ll be busy from now on” you spoke to it, setting it to the right time before stuffing it into your pocket.

“Eun Mi, don’t try and get away, you’re still helping me” Kris called as you stepped outside your room.

“Okay I’m coming!” you shouted back, smiling to yourself.

-------

"You can do the washing Lulu, you do the chopping Eun Mi, while I of course will cook." Kris ordered. Luhan grunted ay this nickname as Kris snickered.

"Please, Eun Mi will cut herself before she even touches the vegetables." He teased as he took the knife from you. You pouted in disapproval and took another knife out, poking your tongue out at him.

"Fine whatever" Luhan sauntered off and went to wash the rice and vegetables.

--------

The vegetables sat on the chopping board, waiting to be cut. You had never been good with knives, So young had always been the one to cook in your household, and you don’t think you would have gained skills in the timeframe from being here. Luhan had been watching you ever since and added in sly remarks as he watched you relax. By now, Xiumin and Chen had also flocked into the kitchen and were enthusiastically cheering you on by the side and soon enough Tao stumbled into the kitchen, still rubbing his eyes slowly. He rested his chin on the counter as he watched you through half open eyes. You finally began cutting away as some pressure was taken off when Tao fell asleep on the counter, Luhan had manoeuvred his body to the living room couch. Xiumin and Chen found it a golden opportunity to prank the younger. The carrots and mushrooms had been chopped decently. There was still the task of capsicum and tomato chopping. You contemplated on how you would go about the capsicum as you span it this way and that on the chopping board.

"Need some help?" Lay asked as he came by your side. He wore a loose grey sweater paired up with light blue sweatpants.

"Pleases and thank you"

"It’s easier to cut it into stripes then dice them, so in half, then cutting into roughly 1cm strips" he instructed pointing at the different parts of the capsicum.

You did as you were advised but it seemed as though the capsicum didn't want to be diced as it rolled around on the board.

"Here let me help" Lay laughed as he watched you struggle. Lay had grasped both of your hands and began guiding them. You squeezed your eyes shut and stiffened. The knife made a distinct sound as it came into contact with the board. You risked a peek and saw that the vegetable had been perfectly cut into two, Lay now emptying the seeds into the bin. He smiled at you, the defined dimple showing once again.

"Anytime this morning" Kris urged as he smirked, strutting towards the bench, leaning on the countertop.

“And here I thought you were an expert, what a shame” he clucked eyeing the knife in your hand. You slowly handed the knife to Lay as you dint want to waste any more time, by now the second manager could be heard in the living room laughing with Xiumin and Chen.  Lay diced the capsicum in no time and the tomatoes were finely chopped shortly after.

“Always so efficient” Kris remarked as he took the chopping board with all the vegetables stacked on top and made his way back to the pan. You flocked after him excited to at his cooking skills. He set the board down and began heating up the pan. Lay took a spot beside you.

“The pressure is on, cooking sensei is judging” you challenged as you bounced around.

“Oh I’m nervous” Kris responded jokingly as he tipped the rice into the pan. Spreading it evenly, next flew in the carrots followed by the capsicum then the mushrooms and lastly the tomatoes. He finished in no time and began serving the rice into eight bowls.

“How boring, couldn’t even tease you” you pouted as he handed you and Lay bowls.

Little did you know, Luhan had been watching the whole time.