[3] Closer

The tug of the heart

 

"Uh-" you didn't want to pick favourites or anything so you thanked the lord when you felt your phone buzz again.

"HEY, WHERE ARE YOU, DON'T BLAME ME IF YOUR RAMEN IS PUFFY" So young shouted through the phone. You gave the boys a small smile and excused yourself from the room.

"Okay, chill I'm coming now" to avoid more shouting you ended the call there.

You made your way back into the room where the boys chatted, Chen lying on Xiumin with the others sprawled out on the carpet.

"Uh, I have to go now, my roommate is looking for me" you announced. They all looked up and nodded.

"It was nice you meet you all, I'll see you soon I guess" you continued.

The members saw you out and you took the same car back to your apartment.

The moment you stepped into the apartment you were eloped in a hug and dragged to the kitchen counter.

"So, how was it, did you get the job" So young asked, stirring her ramyun. You did the same and sighed.

"Yeah I got the job" you replied a little too sadly.

"I knew you would" she squealed as she pulled you into another hug.

"But…" you continued, you explained to her everything that happened and she looked at you, concentrating.

"Well at least you somehow got the job right?" she queried when you were done.

"I don't know, it's a lot for me to handle, I mean its exo-m we're talking about" you replied biting your lip in worry.

"It's okay, I'll be here for you" she replied, patting your shoulder.

You gave her a meek smile before beginning to eat your ramyun. The steam blew out from your mouth as the hot soup was guzzled down your throat.

"So how are they, are they nice?" she peered through her bowl, eyeing you intently.

"They're all really nice, well except for one of them, he's a little rude and cold, but I can stand him"

"What's his name?" She asked on.

"Luhan, it's him that pulled me into this job." you blew out a warm breath and slumped on the kitchen counter. So young patted your back soothingly as she cleaned up the wooden chopsticks and now empty bowls.

"Help me clean before I kick you" she teased as you continued to lie on the bench refusing to move.

----

The next morning you awoke to the shrilling ringtone of your phone. You groaned as you thumped off your bed and crawled to your desk.

"Hello?" you answered a little groggily

"Ah yes, is this Eun Mi? This is Jaeyoung, Soo Man's assistant executive. We're finished finalizing your contract, could you please come in at 10am to sign and we will go through with you the procedures." the voice crackled through the phone.

"Yes ma'am." You replied, your eyes starting to droop again.

"Thank you, see you at 10" -beep- the phone was cut and you rested your head back again onto your mattress.

10am? Not too early. I wonder how long I have.  You pressed your phone open and gasped at it, fully awake.

9:30am

You began flying around your room panicking. So young had already left for work and didn't even bother to wake you up.

By 9:55pm you were sprinting out the front door still munching on the remains of the morning toast.

---------

You sat back at the opposing chair in his office fumbling with your pencil skirt.  You had made it before 10 but just. You breathed a sigh of relief as he didn't seem to notice how rushed you were. He placed the contract in front of you and you immediately began scanning it. 

"You'll start working and living with exo-m as of next week, daily schedules will arrive at the dorm at precisely 6am and you'll follow it without any problems. Vans are provided at the dorm to transport them wherever they need to go; the driver will also know the schedule so all you need to do it get them on the van by the designated time. You will accompany them to each concert, show, trip everywhere they go you must be there. There is also two other male managers resulting that you will be able to have certain days off. You will be informed on when these days are the night before. Breakfast, lunch and dinner have their set times but sometimes they may be over lapped by schedules." the assistant droned on until you felt your head swirl.

"All these rules and regulations will be found in this folder to get you started" she handed you a clear plastic folder with the SM entertainment symbol on it. You accepted and hoped she wouldn't lecture you anymore.

"Any questions, queries or concerns?" Soo Man smiled

"No sir" you said bowing.

"Well if you please" he extended his hand indicating the pen and contract facing you with all its horror.  You drew out a shaky hand and began signing away.

"Pleasure doing business with you" he said when you were done.

"Thank you"

"The van will be present at your apartment at 7am on Sunday morning, please be ready by then" the assistant informed, holding the glass door open for you. You gave a polite nod and absentmindedly led yourself out. Before long you found yourself at home again, moping on your bed.

Why me. I just want to wither up and die in my room. I don't want to have to make up at 6 for a piece of paper and go to eat at set times. I'm hungry all the time. What if exo don't even like me and were just being polite. I hope I get lots of free days off. I wonder what the other two managers are like. Do they also live in the dorm? Why can't I just live here?

You eyed the folder sitting menacingly on your desk.

"If I'm already hired I might as well do it to the best of my ability then" you murmured to yourself as you sat at your desk turning on the desk light. You had read through most of the pages and was now nearing the end of the last page.

'Relationships are discouraged for the idols except for when-' you forced yourself to keep reading but your body got the better of you and dozed off into a nap right then and there.  You woke up to the smell of kimchi rice and soju. You didn't notice how hungry you were until your tummy gave a loud belch. You stuffed the documents into the folder and made your way out to where So young was waiting, the relationship statement completely left from your mind.

------ 

The rest of the week flew by and before you knew it, it was Sunday morning and you were looking through your practically bare room for anything you might have left behind. All your belongings had been neatly placed in boxes but the furniture remained.

"Don't leave me alone" So young pouted in the doorway.

"Just go visit your family” you replied stuffing the folder in your handbag.

"Independence woman, do you not listen to me ever?" she smirked, coming over for a hug.

The two of you remained that way before a knock on the day interrupted you two. She saw you out and hugged you one last time before you slipped into the black van anticipating your new lifestyle.

You drew in a long breath. You were outside the dorm, key in hand. You hadn't mustered enough courage to open the door just yet. Your boxes were scattered around you. With no last thoughts you forced your hand and key into the key hold and unlocked the door.  The door slid open and the lounge room came into view.  Xiumin, Chen, Kris and Tao were sprawled across the lounge watching the television. As soon as Tao recognised you he sprinted towards you.

"Noona! Are you finally moving in?" he asked excited.   You gave him an unsure, small nod as he began picking up your boxes. By now, Kris, Chen and Xiumin had claimed the rest of the boxes and were making their way up the stairs. You followed in suit after Tao as he happily hopped away.  Reaching the second level, you heard music being played through the cartoon doors and thought of Lay, from his adorable dimples to his heavenly cooking.  You smiled at the thought but didn't bother to disturb him. You found the four guys behind a baby green door. Tao had taken the pleasure of rolling himself on the bed whilst Kris watched him amused. Xiumin and Chen on the other hand took the courtesy of rearranging your boxes to be more convenient. You thanked them as they filed out, a reluctant Tao being dragged by Kris. “Noona, I’ll be waiting for you downstairs, don’t forget about me!” he shouted as he was continued to be dragged down the stairs. You chuckled and began unpacking.

-----

Your room had now be arranged and all your belonging stored away. You collapsed onto your bed and breathed a sigh of relief. An hour had passed and your muscles were beginning to get sore. You decided to stretch out your muscles and wander outside your room. You thought back to what Tao had shouted and decided to visit him, but before you made you way down the stairs, the music continued to be played through the cartoon doors you in, so you decided to peek this time. As predicted Lay was sitting on the floor, music sheets scattered around him, a pencil sat on his ear and a guitar in his lap. You watched silently as he scribbled down on the sheets. His eyebrows knotting every once in a while, you observed how he gave a little smile to the paper when he seemed to find the right notes. He spun the pencil around his fingers delicately as the gears in this brain turned. He wore a grey undershirt with a checkered shirt over it and a pair of jeans. The sunlight hit his backside and he seemed to glow.

"Please do come in, I'd rather you sit closer than stand" he patted the space next to him. You grew flustered and stumbled your way next to him. Your head hung low from the embarrassment and you could feel your cheeks turning red. He chuckled and continued to strum on the guitar. You began growing curious as to what he was writing so you itched closer straining to see. Suddenly Lay's face dipped forward. You could see his every feature up close. From his hazelnut brown hair to his chocolate brown eyes all the way to his soft pink lips. Your breath hitched. You mind went hazy and you felt the pits of your tummy churn with excitement. You turned your head away from the contact and let your hair fall over your face.

"I'm glad you became out coordinator Eun mi" he whispered his minty breath tickling your cheek.  “I’m really happy about it” he smiled. The defined dimple was shown even through your peripheral vision. You peek through the strands of your hair and could see him gazing at you.

"Yixing are you comin-" Luhan had barged into your room and froze from what he saw.

“What are you two doing?”