[15] Sassy Chen

The tug of the heart

The boys were now done with group dance practice and were split into individual practice groups. Suho, D.O, Luhan, Baekhyun and Chen made up the vocal practice team. Sehun, Kai and Lay remained practicing dance whilst Chanyeol, Kris and Tao were on rap practice.

"Are you coming to watch us?" Tao came by, hopefully questioning.

"Ahh I think I'll go do some preparing for your debut Tao" you replied. Tao pouted as Chanyeol patted his head, Kris pulling the two to the rap practice room. You made you way down to the private working rooms heaving a sigh as you placed your bag onto the desk. This morning you had packed all the relevant schedules, information and notes into your bag and planned on restudying everything just so you weren't behind in any way. In university, you would call yourself an adequate studier. You didn't leave anything until the last minute, but you didn't exactly start everything just as you got it. Despite the overwhelming majority, you had actually quite enjoyed studying, So young called you crazy all throughout university, but you'd always just laugh it off. The ding of your phone snapped you out of your memories and you checked it to see that you had been paid. You gasped in excitement and quickly checked your bank account. Seeing you had enough, you quickly transferred your half of the rent into So young's account, shooting her a quick message. You couldn't help the giant grin that sat on your face as you began your revision.

---

Lay's watch was set on the desk as you continued studying, it currently read 5:21pm, the boys were due to finish practice at 6:00pm but you had seen in the group chat that some of the boys wanted to stay overtime to continuing practicing. Suho had messaged the group chat saying it was a good time for them to have a group meeting. Hyun Kyun had let you know that since the boys were going to be finishing later than schedule, he would be leaving back to the dorm first in order to prepare dinner. You had wanted to leave with him so you could help him, but he noted that there should be at least one manager with them at all times.  By now, you had gone through the majority of the notes and information that SM had provided you ever since you started the job. There was one last folder you had received just after you signed your contract on the rules and regulations. You had wanted to quickly finish it off, but your eyes protested with you and stung when you closed them, so you decided to give them a break.  You rested your head against the desk and yawned. It had been a long day and the refresher on everything was now sitting, swirling in your head. Your eyes were still a bit sore so you decided to close them momentarily. The tiredness took over and soon you were snoozing, the remaining folder pressed against your cheek.

---

"Can someone please see if Eun Mi is okay? I've messaged her but she hasn't been checking the group message?" Suho worried, as she saw that his messages weren't being seen.

"I'll go" Kris trailed towards the door.

"No we can't, Lee Soo Man wants to quickly see us in his office" Suho called, just before Kris had reached the door. The boys were finished with their group meeting now and all concerns and worries that the group had about debuting were all out in the open.

"I'll go" Chen answered Suho as he jogged past Kris, out of the door.

"Thanks Jongdae" Suho called after him as Jongdae shot up a thumbs up sign above his head. Chen made his way down the building and stepped out the elevator. He peeked around and saw that all but one door was open and reasoned you must be in the closed one. He gave the door a small knock.

"Eun Mi, are you in there?" Chen questioned, hearing out for any response. Hearing that no response was given, Chen turned the doorknob and opened the door a sliver, seeing that you had fallen asleep upon the desk.

"Ahhh, she must be tired today" Chen whispered to himself, as he tiptoed into the room. He took a seat across from you ever so silently. She's so hardworking, Chen thought, as he saw all the folders and paper strewn across the table. He sneakily took out his phone and quickly snapped a photo before he decided to wake you up. You felt a hand shaking your shoulder followed by a calming voice.

"Eun Mi, we're all done with our meeting" a voice you recognised as Chen's whispered as you stirred awake, your eyes adjusting.

"Oh, I didn't mean to fall asleep" you grimaced, yawning. Chen laughed, quickly slipping his phone back into his pocket. You quickly began packing away your belongings, wriggling the watch back onto your wrist. Chen held the door open for you as you exited the room, closing the light behind you.

---

All thirteen of you had been dropped off back at the dorm by the vans, the coldness hitting everyone as they exited the van. The boys were all quickly rushing into the dorm to avoid staying in the cold any longer.  You quickly thanked the driver and ran towards the door yourself.

"Welcome back boys…and girl" Hyun Kyun greeted, as he set the last bowls of rice on the dining room table. "Menu tonight is stir fry vegetables, corn soup and mash potatoes." Hyun Kyun called, as you locked the door behind you. The boys wasted no time in digging into the meal, all of them thanking their manager before eating. You took a seat next to Suho at the corner of the table, thanking Hyun Kyun as you sat.

"Eat up" Suho commented, as he placed some vegetables into your bowl.

---

As you stacked the remaining bowls in your hands, walking into the kitchen, you saw Lay placing the dirty dishes into the dishwasher, the clean dishes from this morning lying on the counter above him.

"It seems we're always the two doing the dishes" you smiled, coming over to hand Lay the remaining of the bowls.

"Seems that way doesn't it? Well, now that there's almost double of us, we just have to put them into the dishwasher" he smiled back, finishing putting all the dishes into the dishwasher. He closed the dishwasher and started the cycle.

"Where do these go?" you queried, picking up the plates Lay had emptied from the dishwasher. Lay directed you the cupboard and opened the door. The two of you packed up the clean plates in no time and were now making your way out of the kitchen.

"Are you sure you don't want some extra blankets down here?" Lay asked, as the two of you were making your way towards the study.

"I'm sure, thank you though" you reassured, patting Lay on the shoulder. Just as you were going to say goodbye to Lay and make your way into your room, both of your phones dinged with a notification. You shuffled in your pocket and slid out your phone. Chen had sent a photo to the group chat with a message. Look at our cute manager, don't be too jealous exo-k~~~ You quickly unlocked your phone and gasped when you saw what Chen had sent the group.

"YAH KIM JONGDAE" you shouted, rushing towards the stairs. Lay was slowly following behind you, as he giggled and saved the image onto his phone.

"WHERE ARE YOU" you continued shouting as you reached the second level of the dorm. Chanyeol, Xiumin and Sehun were all sitting on the couch in the lounge area, waiting for the bathroom but all had their phones open. You rushed towards them demanding for Chen's location. They all pointed towards the bathroom door, all three of them grinning wildly as they did so.

"Why, you look peaceful" Xiumin giggled, showing you the photo Chen had taken when you were asleep earlier today. You sighed out in annoyance, as you rested your hand on your hip.

"Kim Jongdae is dead to me" you made a face at the bathroom door before turning around, walking back down the stairs. You phone buzzed with all the replies in the group chat and you ignored them, immediately throwing your phone onto your bed as you entered your room.

---

Your photo was still the talk of the house the next morning at breakfast. Chen had chosen a seat furthest away from yours as you shot him a mean look as you ate your congee. The boys were all chuckling at Chen's shyness as he timidly ate his own congee. Even Hyun Kyun couldn't help but comment on the situation.

"It's alright Eun Mi, this just means you gotta get a photo of Jongdae now" he raised his eyebrows, pointing his chopsticks toward Chen. The rest of the boys all agreed and hollered as you smiled widely at Hyun Kyun's proposal.

"Just you wait Kim Jongdae" you snickered, as Chen pouted at you, blinking his eyes. 

---

The schedule was the same as the previous day, and will be leading up to the days of the boys debut. Another meeting was scheduled for the morning and you took along a notepad and pen, your phone sitting next to them on the table in the meeting room. All the managers from yesterday had already arrived and Hyun Kyun took no time in catching them up on the current photo war going on between Chen and yourself.

"Genius" one of the managers commented. "If you want, I have some golden photos of not just Chen, but everyone from the high school and younger days. You ears perked up at this, and you immediately unlocked your phone.

"Send them to me" you nodded, opening up the group chat, typing a quick message. I hope you're all anticipating my next move. Wait for it hehe. You sent the message just as an incoming message came in. You quickly opened the chat room of exo-k's manager and yourself and quickly skimmed through the photos he had sent you.

"Oh perfect, thank you so much" you chuckled, spotting a few photos of Chen in his high school uniform, a pair of rectangle framed glasses perched on his nose. The CEO had walked in with his assistant just as you locked your phone, deciding to choose a photo later.

---

The meeting went on for longer than the previous one as the CEO explained a new system that was going to implemented once Exo had debuted. Since schedules were very unstable and constantly changing in their pre debut stage, schedules were delivered in the morning of every day, the very latest point but that was to be changed once schedules became more stable and set after their debut. Instead, schedules were released two weeks before hand via both paper on Sunday mornings and electronic copies. Any changes that were made to any schedule will be directly noted and sent to the managers phone. As meetings like this one were going to become far less frequent due to being in two different cities, skype meetings were going to be organised in order for any emergency situations that arise whilst the group was split. The assistant had handed you more notes of the logins and passwords of the company skype account and a set schedule for the two weeks following exo's debut. This schedule now sat in your bag as you made you way back down into the study room. On the plus side, you wouldn't have to continue waking up at 6am in the mornings just for a piece of paper and you smiled at your small gain.  On the down side, you had skimmed through exo-m's schedule two weeks after their debut and it seemed to be packed to the brim, sometimes leaving only travel time to have lunch/dinner. You took the schedule out from your bag and placed it upon the desk, the folder staring back at you menacingly. You heaved a sigh as you began studying the schedule littered with radio shows, show performances, tv interviews, award show appearances, photoshoots and more. Chen's pre-debut photo popped back into your mind and you excitedly picked up your phone, taking a proper look through the photos the manager had sent you. You came across a collection of Jongdae photos where he was posing chicly against his classmates, a pair of rectangular framed glasses on his face as he stuck his out. You cracked up just staring at the photo and you had to take a while before you could actually send it to the group chat. Prepare your eyes my friends, for the one, the only, sassy Jongdae, Sassydae~~ You quickly sent the photo along with the message to the group chat and waited for the replies to flood in.

Oh my goodness, my eyes, this had made my entire day -Jongin

OH MY GOD HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH JONGDAE I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS SIDE OF YOU - Baekhyun

WE DEFINITELY HAVE THE MOST SASSIEST MEMBER OF BEAGLE LINE NOW, HANDS DOWN - Chanyeol. Your phone continued buzzing with reactions to the photo and at last Chen had seen the image too.

This is war, /flips hair back/- Jongdae. You laughed at Chen, as he had adopted his new sassy persona. You set down your phone getting back down to work. Just as you began memorising the schedule your phone buzzed repeatedly indicating you had an incoming call. You picked up your phone from the desk and checked to see that it was an unknown number with a Chinese area code. Your mind wandered to who it could possibly be, you had just messaged So young this morning meaning she hadn't changed her number recently and James was still in Korea. You quickly picked up the call, feeling slightly anxious.

"Hello?" you spoke over the phone, your heart rate speeding up.

"Hello? Is this Eun Mi?" a familiar voice spoke back, the static muffling his voice a little. "Eun Mi, it's your father" the line continued, the static picking up. You hadn't noticed you were standing but by now your heart rate had sped up, your palms becoming clammy. "Eun Mi, can you hear me?" the voice continued as tears were now welling up in your eyes. "Listen Eun Mi, I hear you have finally gotten a proper job now, that's great, now listen, I can't seem to be able to access your bank account anymor-" you cut the call, a few tears had now fallen onto the desk, wetting the corner of the schedules. 

 

 

 

 

~Suspensful music plays in the background~