[17] Becoming Exo

The tug of the heart

The introduction clip was the only light that illuminated the stage area and as it dimmed down, exo-k were rushing onto the other side of the stage, finding their formation. Exo-m were still on the sidelines as they silently looked on at their brothers, quietly cheering them on. You held your breath as the entire stadium was silent for a fraction of a second. Next thing you realised, History had begun playing through the speakers, lights were suddenly illuminating exo-k onstage and the whole stadium had erupted with cheers from the fans. Exo-k passionately performed upon the stage as the fan's cheers never died down. Before you could even process, exo-m were swiftly making their way on stage as exo-k spun their way off the other side. The fan's screams were heightened as exo-m had begun performing. You watched on the sidelines as the boys all had this passion whilst they sang and danced their hearts out. You couldn't quite catch your breath as the exo-k boys rejoined exo-m as they hopped down from the back stage and onto the front stage. All twelve boys were finally standing on stage as exo. The performance seemed to fly by and soon enough the boys were ending in a triangular formation, their backs towards the audience. As the lights dimmed on the stage, the boys rushed off stage towards you, each one of them sporting a grin of their own. The lights shone upon the stage once more you could hear the manager counting down in your ear piece. You notified Leeteuk with a look and quickly directed him on stage. You began handing out water bottles to the boys as Leeteuk began MC'ing. The boys were quickly getting into formation, lining up in their respective positions. The staff were quickly handing each member a microphone and now Tao stood excitedly in front of you as he bounced with excitement. Leeteuk now introduced exo back on stage you directed Tao outwards, Baekhyun following behind him. You were left with a plethora of water bottles that you collected and set in a box by the side stage. Your mind was still whizzing from their first official performance on stage and you had missed both the group and member introductions and soon enough the boys were coming off stage to change into their second set of outfits. The dressing rooms were a frantic mess as members were quickly changing in a hurry as the makeup artists frantically tried to dab away the sweat that had formed.

"Kai to side stage in 5 minutes" your ear piece chimed as you stood by the doorway, overlooking Kai as he changed. Once Kai was changed and the makeup artists had finished dabbing the sweat off him, he had jogged right back over to you and the two of you began your way back to the side stage.

"Movement of Kai confirmed, we are heading to left side stage now" you announced over the earpiece as Kai was diligently following behind you.

"Eun Mi, how was our stage?" Kai asked nervously as the two of you were on standby. You handed him another water bottle before answering.

"Perfect, I'm so proud of all of you" you smiled, patting Kai on the shoulder. The exo teasers were playing on the big screen and as Kai's solo teaser had begun playing, Kai had closed his eyes and was prepping for his entrance.

"Movement of Tao confirmed, approaching right side stage now" Hyun Kyun chimed over the earpiece as you gave one last encouragement to Kai, before sending him off onto the stage. The fans cheered on as Kai performed his solo stage and were almost sad to see him go as he quickly jogged back towards you. You shot him a quick thumbs up as the two of you fled back to the dressing room once more, just as Tao begun his kungfu solo stage.

"Eun Mi, standby on the front main stage to direct Luhan back to dressing room." the headpiece instructed as you jogged down towards the sidelines of the main stage. Lay, Luhan and Xiumin were in the middle of their dance stage as you waited by the sidelines. Luhan and Xiumin exited from different sides and you began guiding Luhan back to the dressing rooms.

"Luhan back to dressing rooms" you informed, standing by the doorway once more as you waited. Chen had come to stand by you as the two of you waited for Luhan to change.

"You're going to be fantastic" you encouraged Chen as he took deep breaths.

"Chen and Luhan to main side stage in five minutes." As Luhan quickly made his way to the two of you, you could see the contrast in their outfits, with Chen in the dark grey and Luhan in the bright white. The three of you quickly made it back to the sidelines and the two boys quickly rushed on. The solo and member performance stages were going by quicker than you could keep up and soon enough, you were down to the last performance stage; Kai and Luhan's dance stage. The three of you were on standby by the main stage and as Kai was stretching by the sidelines, Luhan had come by to stand in front of you.

"Is everything okay?" you asked concerned whilst he took a deep breath. You saw the sweat that was glistening on his forehead and quickly retrieved a tissue from your pocket and began dabbing at his forehead. Luhan gripped onto your shoulder for support as he rested some of his weight on you.

"Luhan, speak to me, are you okay?" you pressed on, grabbing both his shoulders.

"I'm okay, just nervous" Luhan finally answered as the tassels on his shirt glistened.

"You can do this, you've been incredible so far" you sighed in relief, continuing dabbing at his forehead again.  Luhan looked down at you as you finished dabbing away his sweat.

"Thank you" he whispered as Kai and himself rushed back onto the main stage.

"Eun Mi, stay on standby on the stage as exo are coming towards you now" Youngjun informed.

"Position secured" you confirmed as you could see Tao now in a white and gold outfit approaching you. As the rest of the boys trailed behind him you could see all of the members were wearing white and gold outfits. Along with the members, a handful of staff were also onsite, getting ready to place stools upon the stage for the interview portion of the showcase. Leeteuk was also on standby as he read through his note cards. As Kai and Luhan's dance stage ended, Leeteuk and the staff had quickly made their way onto the mainstage. The staff placing stools across the stage whilst Leeteuk began MC'ing. Luhan and Kai had quickly made their way into their respective positions in the group line and the makeup artists were all dabbing away at their sweat once more.

"Are you ready?" you heard Leeteuk ask as he looked towards the side stage, you gave him a quick thumbs up as Tao began filing onto the stage once more, the boys all following behind him. As you saw the boys begin sitting down on their stools, you had noticed that Leeteuk was missing a stool. You quickly called for Kris's attention as he was the closest member. You waved for Kris to come back towards the side stage and handed him an extra stool you had ordered earlier.

"Leeteuk, MC" you guided as he took the stool from you, striding towards Leeteuk with his long legs. Just as you watched Kris return back to his stool, you were hit on the head by a stool that a staff member was carrying.

"Oh so sorry" he apologised quickly as you clutched your head in pain.

"I'm okay, I'm okay" you affirmed, waving him off quickly. "Please, continue your task" you finished, your eyes fixed back upon the stage. You could see that Lay had seen what had happened and had gotten off his stool and was going to make his way towards you. You quickly motioned you were okay and frantically waved for him to sit back down.

"Eun Mi, come back to the dressing room" Hyun Kyun ordered as you clutched your head, making your way back to the dressing rooms. As you walked in, you were greeted by Hyun Kyun placing an ice pack upon your forehead.

"Are you okay?" he questioned, as you took the ice pack from him.

"Thank you, I'm okay, I wasn't looking around me" you grimaced as Hyun Kyun guided you to sit down on the couch.

"It's not your fault, just rest for now, they will be a while in the interview portion, you can watch on the screen here" Hyun Kyun instructed you as he pointed towards the tv monitor in the corner. As Hyun Kyun took a seat next to you, you sighed out in relief for the first time since the showcase started.

"This is crazy" you commented, as the first fan question was being played on the big screen.

"It's okay, only two more performances after this, then we have the flight over to China tonight to rest up." The icepack was now numbing the throbbing pain of your head from earlier.

"Eun Mi and I are in the dressing room, ready to be on standby" Hyun Kyun updated through his earpiece.

"Seunghwan and I are situated by the sidelines of the mainstage" Jaehyuk reported back.

"Good job guys" Youngjun thanked.

"I really am so proud of them" you smiled, as you watched the boys through the screen, a sense of awkward energy surrounding them.

"They've worked incredibly hard, I'm happy to see them finally on stage, where they want to be" Hyun Kyun added as he also watched them. You two laughed at Kai's awkward aegyo, as he hid his face.

"Beagle line are definitely going to for that aren't they?" you grinned as Hyun Kyun clapped out in laughter.

"You bet" he confirmed, wiping a metaphorical tear from his eye. By now, the throbbing pain in your forehead had slightly subsided and your hand was numb from holding the icepack to your forehead.  You placed the ice pack back into the mini fridge by the snacks and sat back down on the couch.

"You've done a great job today, you've worked really hard" Hyun Kyun complimented, the sound of exo filling in the background noise.

"Thank you, I want to do the best I can, not just for the company, but for the boys too" you looked up at the screen to see all twelve boys sitting on stage. A comfortable silence fell upon the room, Hyun Kyun and yourself just watching the boys up on stage, where they've worked so hard to get to.

---

"Hyun Kyun, Eun Mi, to side stage to help collect the stools once interview portion is over" the earpiece sounded as Hyun Kyun and yourself sprung up from the couch, getting back into action. As the two of you arrived at the side stage, a couple of staff were already situated and on standby, with half of them ready to retrieve chairs on this side and the other half on the other side. You lined up behind them and counted the respective stool you'd be taking, you concluded that Lay's stool would be the one you'd be collecting. Suho had introduced the Angel stage and the lights dimmed, the staff were quickly forwarding onto the stage and as you reached Lay, he grabbed your wrist tightly.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Is everything okay?" he quickly whispered, not letting your wrist go. You panicked slightly, afraid the lights were going to turn back on at any time. Luhan had now also come to stand behind him, staring intently at your head.

"I'm fine, I promise" you reassured the two as he finally let go of your wrist. Just as you came off stage, a staff member had taken your stool off you and directed you to look backwards. Luhan had followed you back off stage, a stool in his hands.

"Hey, what are you doing?" you frantically asked, taking the stool from him. Luhan didn't answer you as he wrapped his hands around yours now. He stared at your forehead before looking into your eyes. 

"Don’t get injured without me from now on" he scolded lightly, releasing one of your hands to where you had been hit. He smiled down at you before jogging back onto stage. You watched as Luhan jogged to his position, high fiving Tao on the way. You hadn't really come to your senses and even as a staff member had taken the second stool from you, you still hadn't quite grasped your surroundings yet.

"Eun Mi, on standby by the side stage, directing exo back into the dressing room once Angel stage ends" the earpiece instructed.

"Position secured" you confirmed, the manager's order snapping you back into reality. As you watched the boys perform, you hummed along to the soft tune, Luhan's words repeating in your head.

Don't get injured without me from now on.

As the chorus for angel begun, Chanyeol, Xiumin and Luhan were exiting the main stage towards you, as Chen, Tao and Kris exited from the other side. Apparently the news of what happened had slowly peppered through the rest of the group and as Xiumin was the first to reach you, he had immediately come to your side, ignoring the water bottle you were offering him.

"Have you put ice on it?" he asked, examining your forehead intently.

"I can quickly run back to the dressing room to get one" Chanyeol inputted. You quickly grabbed onto his wrist before he could make a dash for it and placed a water bottle in his hand instead.

"I already put ice on it, I'm really fine, please focus on the performance" you reassured everyone. Lay, Kai and Sehun had now also come off from the main stage and the crowd around you had grown bigger. Fortunately for you, they didn't have a long time off stage and as the second chorus began they had all returned back on stage. Lay was last to leave as he absolutely had to make sure you were okay. The lights dimmed on stage once again as the song ended. The boys were all rushing back into the dressing rooms to change into their last set of outfits.

"Eun Mi, please stay behind to begin pack up of the dressing rooms after the boys have changed"

"Yes, I understand" you replied, slipping into the first change room to begin packing up. A couple of racks of clothing were already ready to be packed up and you began taking the outfits off the hangers and placing them in their respective covers. Jaehyuk had also come into the change rooms and begun helping you pack up the stage outfits.

"Would you ever wear this out on the street?" you questioned Jaehyuk, as you held up a metallic silver jacket and some gold pants. Jaehyuk laughed as you packed them both away.

"Definitely not, but after all, these boys are from out of this galaxy" he commented, handing your packed clothes to a staff member. Soon enough, the boys had all changed up and were now clearing out of the changing rooms for their last performance stage. With all hands on deck, it took no time packing away the two dressing rooms.

"Could the managers please meet in dressing room one" the earpiece chimed as you finished placing the spare chairs in the storage room. As you entered the first dressing room, Jaehyuk, Seunghwan and Hyun Kyun were all standing around, their clipboards on the table in front of them.

"All present" Jaehyuk notified Youngjun.

"Alright, as everyone knows, exo will be flying off to China tonight, travelling with them are managers; Hyun Kyun, Eun Mi and myself, all other managers are to remain behind after the showcase to finish packing everything away. From now until the end of the showcase, Hyun Kyun, you'll be situated by the side stage accompanying exo for the rest of the showcase. All other managers are to begin packing away everything they can and restoring the stadium. Once exo are confirmed to be finished, please make your way back to the first dressing room. Any questions?" Youngjun instructed everyone through the headset.

"Yes, understood" the four of you replied back.

----

You had compiled all the rubbish from the two dressing rooms and were now emptying them in the bin outside. As you stepped outside the stadium, you could see the moon shining brightly against the dark sky, the stars twinkling around it. Even from outside the stadium you could still hear the faint screams and shouts of the fans. Your phone buzzed in your pocket and you took this opportunity to give it a glance.

Eun Mi, this is your father. Let's meet up when you're available. Your eyes skimmed across the sender and saw that it was the same foreign number that called you yesterday. You hadn't had time to process fully before your ear piece sounded again.

"Exo have left stage, moving to dressing room now" Hyun Kyun informed. You quickly locked your phone and slipped it back into your pocket before entering the stadium once more, focusing at the task at hand. As you walked into the changing rooms, the boys were found celebrating. Kris was on the phone, to his mother no doubt. Lay and Xiumin were busily thanking the staff around them. Suho was embracing an emotional Tao, with Chanyeol coming along to wrap his long arms around the two. Baekhyun, Chen and Sehun were all dancing around, each one of them grinning from ear to ear. Kai had his arm around D.O's shoulders as they talked excitedly with Luhan. Jaehyuk and Seunghwan had promptly arrived at the dressing room to also celebrate with the boys and finally Youngjun had walked into the dressing room.

"Alright boys" he called, bringing everyone's attention to him. "Congratulations you guys, you have finally become exo" a round of cheering and clapping erupted as the boys returned to their celebratory mood.

"Now of course, this couldn't have been possible without the massive help of all the staff on hand, so round of applause to them" Youngjun continued, as the boys began clapping and bowing to the staff around them. "Now, this is only one half of it, remember, tomorrow night you will also be performing your debut showcase in Beijing. Once again, you've done well and should be proud of yourselves." Youngjun concluded, ending off with one last round of applause. Suho had now come to stand next to Youngjun and the boys quietened down once more.

"On behalf of exo, I would like to thank all the staff on hand that were able to cater for this event, we are very thankful for your help in making this a successful showcase for us. I would also like to thank the boys' parents, for creating such amazing boys that have come together to create exo. Lastly, I'd like to thank our managers, Youngjun, Seunghwan, Jaehyuk, Hyun Kyun and our newly recruited, Eun Mi. Without them this would have not been possible, we're thankful for all their hard work, not only tonight but all the months and even years leading up to this very day. Thank you!" Suho announced, as the boys exploded into another round of cheers and claps.

"Alright, as Youngjun said, this is only one half of it, could exo please start gathering up their things, we'll be leaving in approximately 20 minutes. In 20 minutes, please all regroup here" Hyun Kyun instructed the boys, checking his watch. The boys had dissipated from the group circle and were gathering up their belongings, returning into their celebratory mood. Youngjun had gathered all the managers in a smaller circle and were beginning to collect the head sets.

"Thank you for all your hard work today, and congratulations on creating a successful showcase" Youngjun thanked. Your phone buzzed in your pocket once more but the continuing vibration was something you couldn't ignore. You pulled out your phone from your pocket to see the same foreign number calling you once more. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Couple of things

  1. So sorry for the late update, this one is a bit longer so I hope that's okay~
  2. Exam season is coming up, so I wish everyone all the best. As a result, next chapter might also be a little late.
  3. OH MY GOD, GUYS ARE YOU HYPED FOR MONSTER AND LUCKY ONE!?!?