[2] Personalities

The tug of the heart

 

You stood there, frozen to the spot just like in Lee Soo Man's office. You took a sharp intake of breath before bowing 90 degrees at the boys. "H-hh-hii, my name is Eu- Eun Mi" you stuttered, your voice getting caught in your throat. Your palms started sweating again and you coughed anxiously. “She’s our new coordinator for now, some stupid reporters captured us together and it’s such a sticky situation." Luhan muttered before plonking himself down on the beige couch. The members stared at you before also plonking themselves on the couch asking Luhan a million questions a second. You took this time to explore your surroundings.  Facing the boy's couch was a large white 68 inch television, the screen flashing with scenes of a current Chinese drama.  In the middle stood a white coffee table with a bowl of fruit resting peacefully on top.  To the left you could see a modern kitchen that emitted what smelt like freshly made hot chocolate. A long table filled with baby blue chairs was placed next to a large glass door leading to a simple deck overlooking a small garden with a marble fountain.  And to your left was a long hall with multiple baby pink doors. *This house has a very interesting colour scheme* Up ahead oak stairs that lead up to the second level were seen. You snapped back to reality when a hand appeared on your shoulder.  You flinched and saw that a golden haired, dark brown eyed boy that was at least 20 centimetres taller than you. "Hi, my name's Kris, I'm the leader of EXO-M, I hope you find us easy to manage, but if you ever find that you're having a little trouble, you can always give me a little nudge."

He gave you a small wink and half a smile.  You stopped breathing, your mouth parted; all you could do was blink.

"Don't try and seduce her, you don't even know her name you ert!" Shot a boy that resembled so much like a panda in your eyes.

"That's not true, she introduced herself to us, and her name is Eun Mi, at least I was listening." Kris shot back. "That's right maknae." The panda gave a deflated look before turning to you and beamed. He showed his pearly whites and clung onto your arm, "Hi, I'm the groups’ bodyguard, Kung Fu panda Tao.”

"Wait what? Bodyguard? So you're a member and a bodyguard?" You questioned.

"No, he just likes to be up himself" a boy resembling a steamed bun spoke up. “Hi, I'm Xiumin." From his foreign accent Eun Mi could hear that mandarin wasn't his mother tongue. "HEY Chen Chen, come introduce yourself to Eun Mi" Suddenly a boy with dark black hair strode over to you extended his hand. You took it and felt the warmness of his hand travel up your body making your tummy squirm. "I'm Chen, EXO-M's main vocalist."  You managed a smile. Before a boy smiled showing the cutest dimple you had ever seen. "I'm Lay." he spoke, stating simply. You nodded, a smile forming on your own face. You peeped through the bodies of the boys to find Luhan sitting comfortably on the couch still staring at the television. You pouted, until Tao looped his arm through yours and starting pulling you towards the kitchen. "I'm hungry, Lay made some hot chocolate muffins, let’s have some Eun Mi. The panda continued to drag you to the kitchen constantly whining that he was hungry, you glanced over your shoulder to see that the rest of the group had also followed, even the reluctant Luhan that was being dragged by Lay. Tao plonked you down before placing himself beside you. *They are really nice and welcoming, unlike someone…* you thought as Chen brought over the tray that smelt like heaven. "Go ahead, try one, I hope you like my cooking" smiled Lay, gesturing for you to take one.  You cautiously took one and bit into it, the hot chocolate muffin wasn't too sweet and not to plain and the hot chocolate that oozes out was just the best thing in the world.  You gave Lay a thumbs up as your mouth was still devouring the heavenly treat. The others also began to dig in, even Luhan, and soon enough they were seated neatly at the dining table.  Before long, the tray was empty and the boys chatted casually, while you sat there listening intently. "So are you moving in? If so, when?" Chen asked a small smile on his lips.

"Oh, uh, I'm not sure, Lee Soo Man-ssi said he would talk to me soon" You replied a little shakily.

"Don't be so nervous around us, we're going to be spending a lot of time together so might as well warm up to each other" Tao beamed.

“You seemed pretty loud and outgoing only an hour again at SM, what happened?" Luhan teased, his plump pink lips smirking.

"Don't be like that Luhan; can't you put away your cold personality for once?" Asked Lay in Korean, oblivious that you too could understand everything he said.

"Exactly, she's new; the least you could do is show a smile hyung." Tao added on.

"Guys, we're being rude, stop talking in Korean, not everyone can understand it" Kris spoke up, glancing towards you.

"It's alright guys, I can understand too" You declared a playful smile hinting on your lips.

Suddenly all 6 pairs of eyes turned in your direction.  All 7 of you remained that way for at least a second before Chen burst out laughing, his eyes squinting. He continued laughing for a straight 5 seconds before wiping an imaginary tear away.

"You guys got tricked good, well done Eun Mi, nice work." he managed to say. He extended his hand out waiting for a high five. You beamed at him and gave him a high five, the both of you giggled before the rest of exo-m too started laughing, Luhan just merely smiling.

"I like her already" claimed Chen, holding his stomach.

"Me too, me too" chimed Tao. At that, you could feel a genuine smile lingering on your lips and didn't go away when you felt your phone buzz.

~So young ~

You excused yourself from the table to take the call. You ended up in the living room couch. The television was now off.

"What the hell were you thinking recommending me to a high end place like that?" You half whispered half shouted.

"So, did you like it? Did you get the job?" She replied.

"Did you not hear anything I just said?"

"Oh, relax, you need change honey, so can you tell me how it went?"

“Uh, I'll explain when I get back, there's way too much to say on the phone"

"Okay, fine. Love you, see you soon, I'll be waiting with ramyun so hurry back."

“Bye So young make sure it's my favourite ramyun!! You owe me"

You carefully made your way back to the kitchen cautious not to touch anything that seemed too valuable. But to your amazement you found that the only person in the kitchen was Lay peacefully washing the dishes. The sound of contact with water and ceramic with the sound of birds chirping in the fountain was pleasant and welcoming.

"Do you need some help?" You asked, not wanting to awkwardly stand there.

"Sure, you can dry for me" he beamed his dimple flashing again to make your heart drop.

The both of you continued to wash and dry the dishes in silence; you couldn't exactly call it awkward, not pleasant either. Just a silence. There weren't many dishes, only a baking tray and some bowls, so you two finished in no time. You two ended up in the living room once more awkwardly standing around avoiding each other's eyes.

“Hey, you haven't seen the entire dorm yet, I won't show you all of it today, but I'll show you my favourite room, let's go" Lay spoke as he started walking towards the stairs. The both of you walked up the stairs, Lay leading, when you reached the top, you again starting exploring the place, to your left was an alleyway with more baby coloured doors and to your right stood a big door with cartoons painted on them.

"This is the entertainment room, to me, this is my favourite" Lay exclaimed smiling. Inside there placed neatly on the wall was yet another flat screen TV, but under it was what looked like all the video game consoles ever made. You gasped at how many games stacked the storage shelf and the endless cords places under them. "That's not interesting thing, this here is interesting." Lay stated pointing at the 6 guitars hanging of the wall. We picked on up and sat down on the cream carpet. You did the same and watched in awe, as he transformed into a quiet, gentle Lay to an angelic, musical Lay. You recognised the song as the theme song to the Chinese variety show - Happy camp.  Although the guitar wasn't a huge part of the remake it was pleasant to the calming vocals. His finished with a strum of the 6 strings and a smile. You clapped in awe, a smile also creeping onto your face.

"HEY, are you also trying to seduce her?" Tao yelled storming through the door. He looped his arm through yours once more and hoisted you up making you stand next to him. You smiled as his childishness.

“Don’t be so immature Tao; no one's trying to seduce her." Kris said also walking in, followed by Xiumin, Chen and lastly Luhan.

“I’m only trying to protect her from you guys" Tao retorted eyeing his other members.

“If you don’t remember, let me remind you, the company forbids any relationship or any kind of dating, but..." Xiumin trailed of.

“Guys, stop, anyways, Eun Mi, were you impressed by Lay? Psh, then you haven't seen anything yet." Chen cut it, turning his attention to you.

"Yeah, let's show her our endless talents" Tao piped up, arm still through yours. "How about a showcase?" continued Tao.

“We can't keep her long, it's getting late" Lay spoke, checking his watch.

"What? Scared that she'll be more impressed by me?" challenged Chen.

"It's on" Xiumin urged.

They had you sit on the couch whilst the furniture was moved to form a stage space that was facing you.

Luhan lost to the scissors paper rock so consequently had to become the MC.

"Total fluke I swear, I'm just letting them win so I can save my energy, I'm the beast at scissors paper rock, definite fluke" Luhan muttered under his breath as he grabbed a pretend mike Tao made and took his place at a stand.

But you keep thinking back to what Xiumin had said about dating, you definitely heard a ‘but’ in the end before Chen cut in, but what did that mean? There were cases where the company allowed relationships? If so, what were the conditions? You snapped out of your daze when Luhan started speaking. Your focus solely on what was happening now.

“First up is the one and only Chen, the powerful vocals of Chen will keep you electrified yet captivated, let's introduce Chen." Luhan announced smiling at Chen.  Although Chen had walked into the middle your eyes were glued onto Luhan, he wore a genuine smile. You tore your eyes away from him when Chen's vocals filled your ears. His melodic voice was just as Luhan said, electrifying but captivating.

Qing ni gao su wo ruo guo zhe yan jiu shi ai.

请你告诉我如过这样就是爱。

Can you please tell me if this is love.

"Next up is the fabulous Xiumin, showing off his cute baozi aegyo. Give it up for Xiumin" Luhan smiled again, clapping along with it.

That smile again. How does this guy have two different sides. But focused your attention back on Xiumin as he showed off 3 sets of cute aegyo, you took Luhan's word when he said it was baozi aegyo, but now you believed it. In no time it was time the next performance. 

"Introducing our cocky, ice prince leader Kris, performing, uh his charisma show?" Luhan announced once more, smirking to himself.

"What? Cocky, ice prince? You are so getting it after" Kris muttered as he entered the composed stage shooting Luhan a disapproving glance  then turning around and strutting towards you just like a model on a catwalk.  He gave you one of his signature winks and a small salute before walking straight off the stage without a backwards glance. You smiled at yourself, only a few hours here and you've already started to discover each member's personality.

“You’ve seen him perform once, but once is never enough right? So here he is again, please welcome Lay dancing this time"

Lay walked into the middle, gave you a small smile, the music played. Lay moved swiftly and effortlessly, his who body swayed around to the beat and rhythm, his face contorted with perfecting every move. It felt like only 5 seconds had gone by when Lay ended uniquely by jumping up and landing on his knees, you thought it was a perfect yet unique way to end so you clapped out in happiness.

Lay stood and bowed giving you yet another smile this time, his dimple on full display.

“Last but not least, we have the kungfu panda Tao."

Tao walked in the middle of the space and smirked. He gave you a sly wink and a salute, before placing a wooden stuck on the carpet.

"WHO'S TRYING TO SEDUCE HER NOW!!" Chen defiantly shouted from the side. You chuckled at their playfulness then turned your attention on Tao.

He had a fierce glare on and his face showed signs of full concentration. The playful child Tao aura had completely vanished and was instead replaced by a charismatic strong Tao.

The music began and his body began to contort in different ways that you would only dream about.  His eyes showed no mercy whilst his body flipped in the air like it was being spun by some puppet master.  When landed he then leant down to grasp the wooden stick and picked it up spinning it effortlessly around his body.  He finished with placing the wooden stick horizontally on the floor with a smirk plastered on his face. 

"STOP SEDUCING HER YOU PHONY" Chen shouted once again from the side. You now knew why Tao was nicknamed Kung fu panda. It fit him perfectly. The rest of Exo-m had now returned the room to its normal state and were lounging around.

"So, whose performance did you like the most?"

"Uh-"