His Birthday.

Baby, I'll Try Smiling.

I heard the loud beeping sound coming from my iPod. That’s right, I set it up early because it’s Popun’s birthday. It spent all night making a cake and I just barely got any sleep. Slowly I crawled out of the bed and went to the dresser. Now there was the problem of what outfit would be good to wear for the special occasion. I wonder if he would like this one? I just keep thinking in my head of what would be the best one.

 

“Joo-Eun! Get down for breakfast!”

 

My mother screamed at me from the kitchen, it was rather annoying since she did this every day. I changed into a black tank top and a black and white skirt with striped knee socks. Silently I ran downstairs to the kitchen and sat down infront of my father.

 

“Are you taking care of yourself?”

 

I nodded and took a big bite out of a pancake, “Yes father.”

 

“Okay..” He nodded and sipped his coffee.

 

“Well I’m going.” I bowed politely to my parents and thanked them for the meal. I grabbed both my backpack and then a small box which contained a cute chocolate cake. As stepped into my shoes and went outside I saw a familiar face, it was my best friend Daesung. Daesung quickly ran to my side and smiled brightly.

 

“Good morning Joo!”

 

“Good morning Oppa,” I chuckled and held the box tightly in my hands. Afraid to drop it since I already knew how bad it would look in front of his friends if they thought I forgot his birthday.

 

“Ah. Is it Popun Hyung’s birthday already?” He scratched the back of his head and gave a goofy smile.

 

Since we were only a short distance away from school we could already see the fence and the large field in the front. I let out a great big sigh and felt a hand go on the side of my face gently. It was Daesung who brushed my hair behind my ear and patted my back slightly.

 

“Let’s be happy today okay! It’s your boyfriends birthday.” Daesung felt his heart sink a bit as he just gave a confident smile.

 

“See you later, okay?” I waved as I proceeded to my classroom.

 

[ After School ]

 

Hearing the taps from the heels of the shoes hit the floor I nervously walked out to the soccer field where I would see Popun and his two closest friends, one was a girl who played coed soccer with them and the other was a male who was both of their childhood friends. I sat down on the grass and closed my legs since I had been wearing a knee length skirt. Tucking it under my legs I placed the box on my lap and watched them play silently. My heart felt like it was racing, I watched as Popun looked over and gave a small glare which was quickly covered up with a smile. The pain of seeing that glare made my spine freeze up. The girl noticed me and waved over to me. I waved while my hand was shaking. They couldn’t have noticed since I was all the way over here.

 

The three friends came over to me and waved. I got up and bowed to the two friends and my boyfriend.

 

“Hey I see you later guys.” Popun waved to his two friends and then waited till they were out of the picture till he gave a death glare making me quickly take a step back.

 

“H-Happy birthday Popun oppa…” I said weakly and gave a smile. He looked at me as if I asked a question that he thought was stupid.

 

Popun snatched the box out of my hands and opened it up. A smile came across his face, this one did not show happiness it showed his evil side. Throwing it aside he watched it roll down the hill before letting out a laugh.

 

“That’s the best? Really sad considering I expect more of you.” He gave a smirk before slapping my right cheek leaving a red mark. It hurt like crazy considering on how good an athlete he was. He was built to the point that he could hit anyone and it left at least a red mark. If that man hit hard enough it would turn into a bruise.

 

“Come on.” He grabbed my hair and yanked me with him to one of the open but empty classrooms. This was my first period class room. I could see Daesung leaving the school grounds and making his way home. No matter how bad he hurt me.