The beginning

If I don’t have you

 

‘Unnie, what do you think of this?’ Sohyun asked turning around in front of her friend.

‘I like it’ the older girl said giving Sohyun the “good” sign.

‘So, you think it looks good?’ the short girl asked turning around once more.

‘Sure’ Jiyoon nodded and shrugged at the same time, then, she went back to her phone. The younger girl observed her friend smiling at her phone while typing something. She sighed and went back to the changing room.

‘I bet she’s chatting with Gayoonie…’ thought Sohyun a bit sad. ‘I could never compete against Gayoonie for Jiyoonie’s heart, she already has it…’

‘Hey, Sohyun-ah!’ Jiyoon called from outside the changing room. ‘Do you want to go for ice cream?’

‘Sure!’ Sohyun smiled widely thinking she was going to have some nice alone time with her unnie.

‘Good, then I’m telling the girls to meet us at the parlor’

Sohyun’s smile faded away immediately. It wasn’t the she doesn’t like to be with the rest of the members but, she wanted to be alone with Jiyoon for at least a day.

‘Hurry up!’ Jiyoon’s voice sounded from outside the changing room.

‘I’m going!’ the younger girl replied trying to change her clothes quickly. When she went out, Jiyoon was waiting for her with a nonchalant look.

‘Are you buying it?’ the older girl asked pointing at the dress Sohyun had in her hands, the latter shook her head in a negative. ‘Ok, then let’s go’

Sohyun followed Jiyoon out of the store and moved hastily to catch up with her unnie.

‘Why the hurry?’ wanted to know the maknae.

‘The girls arrived already’ said Jiyoon not stopping.

‘So fast?’

‘They were already in this mall when I called them’

‘Oh…’

Sohyun tried to catch up with Jiyoon the whole walking to the parlor, and when they got there, she couldn’t hold a hopeless sigh. Jiyoon almost ran to Gayoon’s arms and the latter received her with a huge smile. Sohyun felt sorrow.

‘Did you buy anything?’ Hyuna asked to Sohyun.

‘No, I didn’t’ she replied a bit too rough. ‘There were none that I truly like’ she said trying to fix the tone she spoke.

‘I see…’ Hyuna half nodded and turned her attention to Gayoon, Jiyoon and Jihyun that were talking about something they saw in a certain store.

‘Let’s buy ice cream, I’m starving!’ complained Jiyoon out of the blue. All of them laughed and went to the ice cream bar and ordered five ice creams.

They sat on a free table and started to eat and talk about random things.

‘Unnie always seems to have more fun with Gayoonie than with anyone else…’ Sohyun thought observing Jiyoon talking and laughing with Gayoon. She noticed how Gayoon’s hands had traveled to Jiyoon’s face, shoulders, hands and legs frequently. She wondered if Gayoon had a thing for Jiyoon and if it was reciprocal.

Jiyoon was always dorky around Hyuna, childish and lovey-dovey around Gayoon and respectful and almost a grown up around Jihyun, but around Sohyun, well, around the maknae, Jiyoon tended to behave like a big sister yet she was kinda rough and bully sometimes, but only in a playful mode, and sometimes, only sometimes, Jiyoon followed some dorkiness but never as when she was with Hyuna. This makes Sohyun felt sad and often disappointed, she wanted Jiyoon to be as cheery as when she is with Hyuna and as lovey-dovey as when she is with Gayoon…

‘Yah, kiddo, are you paying attention?’ Jiyoon’s voice brought Sohyun back to earth.

‘What?’

‘Hyuna is asking you if you want more ice cream’

Sohyun’s eyes travelled from Jiyoon to Hyuna and this one gave her a strange look.

‘Ani unnie, I don’t want more, thanks’

‘Fine’ said Hyuna almost nonchalant and went away.

‘Is Hyuna angry?’ Sohyun asked Jiyoon when the long haired girl was gone.

‘I don’t think so, she’s just tired’ this one replied and went back to the conversation with Jihyun and Gayoon. Sohyun nodded but she knew something was wrong with Hyuna so she decided to ask her later.

Sohyun space out half listening at her unnies’ conversation, she wasn’t interested at all in what they were saying, something about a guy that called Gayoon again and that, as usual, she rejected.

‘Poor guy’ Jiyoon commented as she laughed hard. ‘You always break their hearts’

‘They just annoy me’ Gayoon replied nonchalant as always.

‘Who called you this morning?’ suddenly asked Jihyun. Sohyun noticed that her leader was directing the question to Jiyoon. She turned her head to watch her unnie’s reaction and answer.

‘How did you know that someone called me?’ Jiyoon asked with half a smile in her face.

‘Because I’m the leader’ Jihyun replied calmly.

Jiyoon remained silent for a moment. ‘Kyuhyun-oppa called me’ she finally answered still with that half smile on her lips.

Sohyun’s heartbeat raced.

‘Oh, he finally accepted that he was in love with you?’ Gayoon said teasingly, but Jiyoon wasn’t that amused.

‘I don’t think so, but he did said he wanted us to meet’

Gayoon’s expression changed and Sohyun’s too.

‘Did you accept his invitation?’ the leader asked not really noticing the sudden change in her dongsaengs’ moods.

Jiyoon took a moment to reply. ‘Yeah, I did’

‘You like him, unnie?’ Sohyun couldn’t keep quiet with these news on the table.

‘I think I did when we were in Immortal Song, but now…well, we haven’t seen each other in months so, I don’t know’

‘What are you talking about?’ Hyuna arrived to the table with a couple of ice creams in her hands.

‘Nothing, just that uri JeonJi is having a date with Kyuhyun-oppa’ Gayoon said half teasing half serious.

‘Wah! Is that true, unnie?’ Hyuna sat on the table next to Jihyun and passed one of the ice creams to Jiyoon. This one took the ice cream and took a bite to the cold cream before replying.

‘Is not really a date, he just said he want us to talk, that’s it’

‘Talk about the future’ mumbled Jihyun snickering.

Hyuna giggled and Gayoon half smiled. Sohyun on the other hand, was not amused at all.

‘Jiyoonie likes men…’ Sohyun’s head was basically a pool of sorrow in this particular day, and her unnies weren’t helping. ‘Of course she likes men, you idiot!’ she yelled to herself.

‘Sohyun-ah…’ Hyuna’s voice sounded like a whisper to Sohyun’s ears. She turned her attention to her slightly older unnie.

‘What is it, unnie?’ Sohyun’s voice sounded low and husky.

‘I know your secret’ Hyuna said piercing her eyes in her friend. Sohyun got pale. ‘Don’t worry, I won’t say a word, but you should have told me’

‘I-I don’t have a secret unnie, what are you talking about?’ Sohyun tried to play cool. Hyuna didn’t say a word, she simply directed her a cold stare before returning to her ice cream.

‘GREAT! This is just great!’ Sohyun started cursing in her head while trying to avoid any eye contact with her unnies. ‘Ugh! Stupid Sohyun!’

‘Sohyun-ah, are you sick?’ a loved voice said near the girl’s ear. Sohyun moved her head and found the very eyes she loves staring at her, worried.

The younger girl leaned her head on her unnie’s shoulder. ‘Maybe I am…’ she mumbled closing her eyes thinking she really might be sick because she likes her own gender...

‘Do you want to go back to the dorm now?’ Jiyoon’s voice was soft and caring. Sohyun tried to memorize that tone of voice Jiyoon does when she’s trying to take care of her…

‘Ani, it’s ok…’ the younger girl said enjoying the feeling of her unnie’s shoulder and arm.

‘Fine, but tell me if you’re not feeling well, ok?’

Sohyun nodded and kept her eyes closed a bit more, but when she opened them, she noticed Hyuna was staring at her. Sohyun shivered, she wasn’t used to Hyuna’s cold stare so she looked away.

‘We should get going’ suddenly Jihyun said getting up the seat. ‘It’s getting late’

The other four girls followed.

Sohyun started walking holding onto Jiyoon’s arm when Gayoon caught up with them and held the other.

‘Are you really going out with Kyuhyun-oppa?’ Sohyun heard Gayoon asking Jiyoon.

‘Yeah, it’s just a talk, it can’t harm, right?’ Jiyoon replied as if it was no big deal.

‘Right…’ Gayoon tightened her jaw and looked away pretending to be looking for clothes in the shopwindows.

‘Unnie, what would you do if he asks you to be his girlfriend?’ Sohyun asked feeling curious about the topic. She knew the answer might hurt but she didn’t care, she was already feeling like crap, a bit more wouldn’t be that bad, right?…

Jiyoon chuckled. ‘What’s with all the questions? Since when are you guys that interested in my dates?’

‘We’re worried you might break his heart’ Gayoon replied with a grimace.

‘You’re the heart breaker in 4minute, don’t throw your trash to me’ Jiyoon chuckled again, this time looking a bit more amused.

Gayoon simply half smiled and leaned her head on Jiyoon’s shoulder.

‘This is odd…’ Sohyun thought watching her unnie in such a lovely state towards Jiyoon. ‘Maybe she likes Jiyoonie for real’

‘Kiddo, you’re in another planet today, are you sure you’re ok?’ Jiyoon’s voice brought back Sohyun.

Sohyun shook her head. ‘I guess I’m just tired…’

‘Getting home, I want you to go sleep right away, ok?’

Sohyun nodded feeling a bit happy thinking that Jiyoon care for her that much…