Chapter 2

Stuck In The Middle

 

SungJong

SungJong has always had a crush on his noona ever since she helped him from those bullies. He was amazed at her bravery for standing up to those older students and he was also touched at her kindness towards him even though she didn’t know who he was. After she had helped him, they became instant friends. They didn’t have the same classes; heck, she’s a year older than him but that didn’t stop her from being friends with him. Every time they would see each other, she would actually take time to talk to him and not just give him a simple nod and leave. He remembered the day that she gave him her number and his question made her laugh; noona, why are you giving me your number? He even remembers exactly what she told him; because you’re my friend! Friend. At that time, he liked hearing that word from her. As months passed by, the word friend turned into dongsaeng. He liked it but now, he dreaded that word. He wanted to be more than just a dongsaeng but he knew it was impossible.

 

His noona is dating his hyung; not just any hyung, one of his closest hyungs. He never ever introduced his noona to his hyung because he was selfish; it was hard to admit it at first, but now he accepts it. He didn’t want any of his hyungs to be friends with his noona or even be close to her. He wanted his Yoobin noona all to himself. He tried so hard to keep her away from his hyungs but he failed. Myungsoo met Yoobin at the library and asked if he could sit with her since there were no open seats. Yoobin, being the nice girl that she is, said yes and they started talking. SungJong didn’t mind at first since he thought that Myungsoo was not his noona’s type but as days passed by, he noticed that his noona would rather spend time with his hyung than him. This made SungJong angry, very angry.

 

The young boy remembered that awful day when his noona told him that she had feelings for his hyung. She asked him for advice, something not a lot of people would do, but he couldn’t give her any. It was hard enough for the young boy to see his noona with his hyung but asking him for advice? He couldn’t handle it, at all. Then the news about his noona and his hyung dating was the only thing the school could ever talk about. Everywhere he went, he could hear people talking about his Yoobin noona and his Myungsoo hyung. The young boy tried to plaster a fake smile when his noona told him and he tried his best to get over her and be happy for them but he couldn’t.

 

For SungJong, it was hard to get over someone who saw him more than just little kid. Sure, Yoobin is older than him but she always asks him for advice and he was always there for her. Once, she admitted that she could only trust him and only him. That made SungJong very happy but now, now that his noona has someone else, he feels betrayed and wondered if he was still the only person his noona could trust.

 

There were days that his noona would talk to him and he tried to cherish every moment of it but his hyung would always take her away and leave the young boy alone. He doesn’t remember the last time he talked to his noona face-to-face but they always send each text messages. At least his hyung wouldn’t take his phone away just so the older boy could text Yoobin. Every morning, the young boy would always send his noona texts and she would always reply back. She would always say that they would see each other at school and that made him happy but every time he waited for his noona outside, he would always see her with his hyung.

 

Today, as soon as he read his noona’s text message, SungJong decided to look his best for his noona. He ironed his uniform, took time to fix his hair and made sure his teeth were perfect. The young boy even polished his school shoes. He wanted to make an impression to his noona, even though she was already dating his hyung. He went to school extra early and even practiced his smile and greeting. He wanted everything to be perfect; smooth and flawless. He looked at his phone and sighed to himself; it was way too early and no one else was at school. Slowly, students started arriving but there was no sign of the young boy’s noona. He was starting to get nervous; what if his noona suddenly got sick? Or what if she’s late? No, SungJong knew his noona well; she’s never late.

 

Still waiting for his noona outside, he suddenly heard her familiar laugh. His eyes brightened as he heard her laughter getting closer. He wanted to be the first one to greet her but his smile turned into a frown when he saw his hyung with his noona, fingers intertwined and smiles on their faces. He swallowed the hard lump that formed in his throat and tried not to cry. Of all places, he hated the thought of crying at school. He didn’t want anyone to see him cry; especially his Yoobin noona. He tried to smile but his lips wouldn’t move upward. Yoobin’s eyes met his and she frowned. His heart twitched a little and the young boy grabbed his backpack then left. He never wanted to see hiss noona frown.

 

Instead of going to class, SungJong went to the library and sat at the very corner table located at the very back of the library. No one knew about that spot and he was thankful about that. His backpack fell on the carpeted floor as he crawled under the table and pulled his legs up. He buried his face and started whimpering. If he cried, then people would hear him and he didn’t want attention. A cry escaped his lips but the young boy immediately bit his lower lip and tried not to make any noise. SungJong didn’t know how long he stayed under the table because he heard footsteps and a familiar voice. “SungJong-ah, can you please come out? Noona wants to talk.” The young boy looked up and saw his noona staring at him.