Chapter 3

Stuck In The Middle

 

Yoobin

Yoobin didn’t know how to ask her dongsaeng. He looked so fragile and weak; demanding for an explanation is the last thing she wants to do. “So how are you?” She asked and smiled. The young boy just looked at his noona and shrugged. “Okay.” He mumbled and she nodded. “Oh. How are your studies? Do you still want me to tutor you?” She asked, hoping he would say yes. Yoobin remembered the time when her adorable dongsaeng didn’t understand Math or English. She tutored him and was proud of him when the young boy showed her his grades. “No, thank you. I understand Math and English.” SungJong answered and Yoobin frowned. “What about Science?” “I understand it, too.” The young boy mumbled and Yoobin sighed. She didn’t know what to do.

 

Her dongsaeng was slowly pushing her away and she felt guilty because she was slowly pushing him away and she was aware of it. “SungJong-ah…we never talk anymore.” “I know.” He said. Yoobin was taken back by her dongsaeng’s reply; since when did her lovely and happy dongsaeng become so quiet and cold? She held his hand and she noticed him jump a bit. “Tell me what’s wrong.” She said. “Nothing’s wrong.” “There’s something wrong.” She insisted and the young boy didn’t say anything. Yoobin squeezed his hand and he bit his lower lip. “What’s wrong, SungJong-ah?” This time, her dongsaeng let go of her hand and grabbed his backpack. “Class is about to start. Bye noona.” He said and left.

 

She watched her dongsaeng leave and she frowned. He would always tell her what’s wrong; he even told her that he was once jealous that she would hang out with his friends rather than spend time with him but this time, he didn’t say anything. He even said goodbye to her; he never says that word since he believes that he will really leave his noona. Yoobin is grateful to have a dongsaeng like SungJong and she never understood why people said that he likes her. Sure, the young boy would always hug her and bring her drinks and sometimes walk her home but that’s because he cares about his noona a lot.

 

Watching him leave made Yoobin think; what if SungJong, her dongsaeng, really does like her? What if he was really jealous of Myungsoo? She continued to think until her phone started vibrating. She took her phone out of her pocket and read the text message; Hey, where are you? I went to your classroom and you’re gone. – Myungsoo. She didn’t bother to reply to her boyfriend because she needed to do something; figure out what is wrong with her dongsaeng. Her phone vibrated again and Yoobin was starting to get irritated. She likes Myungsoo, a lot but there are times when she just wants to be by herself and think. She checked the message and smiled. I’m sorry for leaving you, noona. I’m fine, just really tired. Also, I never meant to say bye. You know I’ll never leave you, right noona? – SungJong. Yoobin read the text message over and over again and slightly laughed at her dongsaeng’s innocence. He knew how much he meant to her and he made a promise never to leave her side.

 

Yoobin kept her phone in her pocket and went to the cafeteria. Her boyfriend with a hug greeted her but she was anticipating something else. “Hi noona!” She heard her dongsaeng’s cheerful voice and saw him sitting with his friends. He smiled at her and she smiled back. “Hi dongsaeng.” She said and sat next to Myungsoo. She watched SungJong talk to his hyungs and she noticed him smile, too. Unknowingly, she smiled and Myungsoo nudged her side. “Happy to see your dongsaeng smile?” He asked and she nodded. Myungsoo knows that Yoobin cares about SungJong a lot and instead of feeling jealous, he admired her for that.

 

“We finally got our old SungJong back!” Hoya said and ruffled SungJong’s hair. Yoobin watched SungJong pout and she smiled. A lot of people think that SungJong is a baby but in reality, he’s not; Yoobin is a bigger baby than SungJong. She hated how everyone around him treats him like a baby and not give him a chance to show them who he really is; a dependable guy. SungJong once told his noona that all he ever wanted was someone to depend on him and not treat him like a baby. Without realizing it, Yoobin fulfilled his wish.

 

“Hey, do you want to hang out tonight?” Myungsoo asked. Yoobin snapped back to reality and noticed SungJong waiting for her to reply. She smiled at her boyfriend and shook her head. “Is it okay if I hang out with SungJong? I miss my dongsaeng.” Her boyfriend smiled at her and nodded. SungJong smiled and clapped his hands like a little kid. “Yay! I get to hang out with noona!” He cheered, causing the guys to pinch his cheeks and hug him. School for today ended and SungJong was waiting for his noona near the school gates. Yoobin smiled as she saw her dongsaeng waiting and ran up to him and gave him a back hug. “N-noona!” He stuttered and turned red. She grinned and grabbed his hand.

 

“Let’s go?” She asked and he nodded. The entire time they were walking home, Yoobin was holding her dongsaeng’s hand and was listening to him talk about his hardships at school. “I thought you understand everything, huh?” She and he shook his head. “Not everything. Math is getting harder, again and I at writing in English.” Yoobin pinched his cheek and smiled. “Don’t worry, noona will tutor you, okay?” She said and the young boy nodded.