Chapter 9

Stuck In The Middle

 

SungJong

SungJong went to school early; as usual, just so he can greet his noona. On his way to his classroom, he noticed an unfamiliar girl picking up her books on the ground. He walked towards her and grabbed one of her textbooks. The girl looked up and her cheeks heated up. “T-thank y-you.” The girl stuttered and grabbed her textbook from the young boy. “You’re new here, right? I’m SungJong!” The young boy introduced himself and smiled. The girl smiled and fixed her glasses. “SooJung.” SungJong nodded and his phone vibrated. The young boy took his phone out and grinned. SungJong-ah~ noona’s here! – Yoobin.

 

The young boy didn’t notice the new girl staring at him; she was admiring his features and she was jealous of the girl that made him smile. SungJong shoved his phone inside his pocket and looked at SooJung. “I have to go, my noona’s here.” The young boy said and the new girl nodded. “Okay, thank you again.” SooJung whispered and SungJong nodded. “No problem!” He said and ran to the school gates. Standing near the school gates, SungJong saw his noona and grinned.

 

“Noona~!” He said and hugged his noona. He felt his noona flinch a bit and he pouted. “Noona, are you okay?” The young boy asked and his noona smiled. “Yeah. I’m fine, really.” The older girl said but SungJong knew something was wrong; he could always tell when there’s something wrong with his noona. He watched his beloved noona walk away then he tried to hold her hand and it happened again; she flinched. SungJong felt a little upset; is his noona aware about his feelings? Is that why she keeps flinching? She probably felt awkward but didn’t have the guts to tell him.

 

They reached the library and found an empty table. Yoobin placed her backpack on the chair and SungJong took his books out. They quietly sat across from each other and SungJong kept staring at his noona. She grabbed his Math book but he stopped her, causing her to flinch again. “There’s something wrong. Noona, why don’t you tell me what’s wrong?” He asked. She tried to pull her hand away but his grip on her hand tightened.

 

“Noona…please tell me.” The young boy said and his noona smiled. “Pre-Calculus is hard, you know. We should start now.” He sighed in defeat and slumped on his chair. The entire time his noona tutored him, the young boy didn’t pay attention and tried to figure out what was wrong. Normally, she would tell him what’s going on but now; she couldn’t even look at him. He stared at her noona’s face and his eyes landed on her lips. Suddenly, he looked back up and saw the older girl staring at him.

 

They stared at each other for a while and for some reason, he could faintly hear her voice in his head. He tried to focus on her voice but she looked away and the voice was gone. It was one of those weird things wherein people can hear someone’s thoughts just by staring at them. “Do you get it?” She asked and SungJong just nodded. He stared at her lips again and his heart started pounding. His noona continued to talk but all he could look at is her lips.

 

“So do you understand?” She asked and he blinked. “Well?” She asked and he slammed his hands on the table, causing her to jump. “I-if y-you d-don’t g-get it…I’ll help you.” His noona said and sighed. He couldn’t handle it anymore; he had to do it and the time is right. “SungJong…are you paying at—“ His lips crashed on hers and his hand rested on her cheek. He slowly pulled away and looked at her. “Noona…” He started but she grabbed her backpack and her head hung low. “I have to go.” She said and ran off. SungJong watched the girl he’s in love with leave the library and he frowned. Maybe his noona doesn’t have feelings for him at all.