Chapter 10

Stuck In The Middle

 

Yoobin

The older girl ran out of the library and continued to run until her legs gave up. She fell on the concrete floor and leaned on something. Her eyes scanned the surroundings and she realized that she was on the side of one of the buildings. Her knees were up to her chest and hugged them. “What just happened…?” She asked herself and sighed to herself. Her hand found its way on her chest and she could feel her heartbeat. “This isn’t happening…this is impossible…” She mumbled to herself and sighed.

 

Yoobin never had any girl friends and she wasn’t really jealous of girls who have girl friends to talk to but right now, she wished that she had one. She had tons of acquaintances; her classmates and her neighbors, but none of them were her close friends. Her phone vibrated and Yoobin felt nervous; what if her dongsaeng was calling her? What would she say if he asked her questions? She hesitated at first but her phone wouldn’t stop vibrating. Taking in a deep breath, Yoobin took her phone out and stared at the caller I.D.; SooYoung.

 

SooYoung was one of Yoobin’s classmates. Believe or not, SooYoung is the complete opposite of Yoobin; a rebel, a drop-out and who knows what she’s been up to lately. SooYoung may be a rebel but she was different; she would always smile and she didn’t use drugs or drink or work as a hooker. SooYoung just wanted to live a life away from her overprotective parents that drove her crazy. At least SooYoung has a family. Yoobin has always been so jealous of SooYoung’s life, mainly because of her family. Yoobin answered her phone and she heard her friend’s voice on the other line. “Yoobin! Guess who’s in town! That’s right, me! I’m waiting outside school, come out!” The girl said and hung the phone up. Yoobin sighed and dusted her clothes.

 

Yoobin looked around and sighed in relief. She grabbed her backpack and met with her friend outside of school. SooYoung still looked the same; wavy brown hair, pale skin with huge eyes but something was different; she was way skinnier. As soon as Yoobin stepped out of the school, SooYoung tackled her and grinned. “Hey goody-goody!” The cheerful girl said and Yoobin smiled. “Hey rebel.” She said. SooYoung grabbed her friend’s arm and dragged her to the nearest café. They picked an empty table near the window and ordered their drinks. While waiting, SooYoung noticed that her friend hasn’t said anything. “Yah, what’s wrong, huh? Did that boyfriend of yours hurt you??” Her friend asked and she shook her head. “Aniyo. Myungsoo is really nice to me.” She explained but her friend still looked at her.

 

“Then what’s wrong? Oh wait, did that little kid finally confess his feelings to you??” SooYoung asked and Yoobin’s eyes grew bigger. “W-what…?” Yoobin stuttered and SooYoung smirked. “Oh so he did. Finally! I swear, that kid is obsessed with you! I remember sophomore year that he would always follow you like a lost puppy and you thought it was adorable!” SooYoung said and laughed. The cheerful girl was always like this; she made fun of SungJong for being so clingy, obsessive and calling him a kid. Sometimes, she would call him girly and Yoobin would always tell her never to call him that.

 

“I do think it’s adorable. Besides, he doesn’t like me. Maybe he’s infatuated but that’s because he’s not close with any girls. Girls treat him differently; they treat him like a kid or a girl. It hurts him.” Yoobin explained and SooYoung made a face. “If I didn’t know better, I would think that you have developed a crush on that kid.” She said and smirked then realized that Yoobin didn’t say anything. SooYoung’s eyes grew bigger and she scoffed. “No way! You like that kid?? Seriously Yoobin, you can do better than that! I thought you were crazy when you said yes to your emotionless boyfriend but now, I think you’re insane!” Her friend continued to ramble on and on about how SungJong is too young and that Yoobin shouldn’t like him because it is somehow considered as . Yoobin started to get irritated and she stood up.

 

“Yah, what the hell? What are you doing?” SooYoung asked, shocked about her friend’s action. Yoobin didn’t say anything and SooYoung smirked. “Yah, are you mad? Look, I’m just stating the truth. You shouldn’t like SungJong. He’s just a little kid. He probably didn’t have his first ki—“ “He already did.” Yoobin cut off SooYoung and the girl’s eyes grew bigger. “Don’t tell me…” SooYoung said and Yoobin nodded. “He kissed me. That’s right. That kid; that adorable kid that you think is obsessed kissed me.” Yoobin said and SooYoung arched her eyebrow. “Did you like the kiss?” This time, Yoobin’s eyes grew bigger and she felt nervous. Her heart started pounding again and she could hardly breathe. The scene of her dongsaeng kissing her replayed in her mind and she bit her lower lip. “Well?” Her friend asked, getting a little impatient as SooYoung waited for Yoobin’s answer. “Yeah. I did like it.”