Chapter 11

Stuck In The Middle

 

SungJong

The last time the younger boy say his noona was at the library, when he kissed her. That was two days ago. He didn’t know what to do; he tried calling her but she didn’t answer her phone. He tried to wait for her in class but she mysteriously leaves without being seen by the boy. He even tried visiting his noona at her apartment but she wasn’t there. SungJong started to get worried; so worried that all he could think of is his noona. “Maknae, you look sick.” The oldest boy said and SungJong just smiled. “I’m fine, hyung. Just stressed.” He lied to his hyung and the oldest boy did believe it.

 

SungJong’s hyungs were starting to get worried since the youngest boy wasn’t cheerful at all. Even the knew girl, SooJung, was worried. “SungJong oppa, you need to eat.” The girl said and pouted. SungJong just glanced at the younger girl and sighed. “I’m fine. I’m not hungry.” He said but in reality, the boy was starving. He would try to eat but as soon as he thinks of his noona, his appetite disappears and begins to worry. “But oppa…” “SooJung, I said I’m not hungry.” The boy snapped and the younger girl stared at him. SungJong looked at the girl and frowned. “I’m sorry. I’m just worried.” “About your noona?” The younger girl asked and he nodded.

 

Today seemed longer than any other days. Actually, any day without seeing his noona seemed longer than any other days. School was almost over and SungJong didn’t even feel happy about that. He excused himself and was on his way to the restroom when he heard his hyungs talking. His hyungs would skip class but didn’t bother telling SungJong since to them; the youngest boy was still a kid. He hid behind a tree and listened to their conversation.

 

“Have you talked to Yoobin yet?” Dongwoo asked and SungJong saw Myungsoo shake his head. “Seriously? Did she magically disappear or something?” SungYeol asked as he his Popsicle. “She said she was going to visit her parents for a few days.” His hyung said and SungJong’s jaw dropped. Leaving his school stuff behind, the young boy ran home and grabbed a duffel bag. He threw his clothes and some necessities in it then grabbed his wallet and cell phone. He waited for the next train to her hometown and got on.

 

Noona, please call me. – SungJong. The younger boy texted his noona and waited for her reply. He waited and waited but she didn’t reply at all. The younger boy’s eyes felt a little droopy and he was slowly falling asleep when his phone vibrated. Excited that it might be his noona, SungJong checked his phone and his face fell when he realized that it wasn’t his noona. SungJong-ah! Where did you go?! Everyone’s worried! – Sunggyu. The younger boy stared at his cell phone and deleted the text message.

 

His eyes closed again and as he slowly fell asleep, his phone vibrated again. The younger boy felt irritated and checked his phone. Myungsoo calling… SungJong stared at the phone screen for a while until the call went to voicemail.  For the past few hours, SungJong’s hyungs tried calling him but he ignored every call. He thought they gave up but then SooJung started calling him.

 

“Hello?” SungJong said and he heard a sigh on the other end. “Oppa! Thank goodness you answered! Everyone’s worried! Where are you?” SooJung asked and the young boy sighed. “SooJung, stop calling me.” “But…why?” He could hear sadness in her voice and he felt bad for being so mean to her. “It’s just that…I’m sorry, okay? Just please, don’t call me.” He said. “You’re going to find her, huh? You’re going to find your noona.” “Yeah, I will find her. So what?” SungJong snapped. “Oppa, don’t waste your time. She left without telling you. Obviously, she wants to be away from you.” SooJung said and SungJong felt pain in his heart. Without saying goodbye, SungJong hung up the phone and rested his head on the headrest.

 

Obviously, she wants to be away from you. That line kept repeating in his head and he groaned. “Excuse me, please be a little quiet.” A passenger said and SungJong apologized. He looked outside and thought about what SooJung said. The young boy didn’t want to believe her words but a part of him was saying that it was true. His noona left without saying anything; it was obvious that his noona was avoiding him and SungJong felt stupid for getting on the train. Regret filled his heart but he couldn’t do anything. As soon as the train reached its destination, the young boy got off the train and waited for the bus. He got on the bus and after a few minutes, he finally reached the place. The young boy spotted his noona and a smile crept on his face for he knew exactly where she would be.

 

There were things that his noona never told anyone; things that were private and personal that she couldn’t even tell her own boyfriend. This was one of those secrets and SungJong was glad that she told him. He slowly walked towards his noona and he could hear her crying. He then remembered that he was the only one she could trust and she would always cry to him. It saddened the young boy to see his precious noona cry to herself; looking so fragile, hopeless and alone. He dropped his duffel bag on the ground and wrapped his arms around her. The older girl looked up and saw her dongsaeng in front of her. He felt nervous for he didn’t know what was going to happen next; would she yell at him? Push him away? Tell him to leave her alone? But instead, the most shocking thing happened; Yoobin hugged her dongsaeng and cried on his chest. She trusts him so much that she even told him her most painful secret; her parents are dead.