Recording Studio

Bang Yongguk

Come with me to the recording studio, he said. Come see me in action, he said. I’ll teach you how to rap, he said.

Kana’s first time in Yongguk’s recording studio started out well. He proudly introduced her to all the staff members and sat her down for a live recording session. Seeing Yongguk from behind the glass, breathing life into the words he had scrawled onto paper, eyes closed and hands moving to the beat…it was beautiful. It was the kind of beauty when you watch someone do what they love, what they do the best in the perfect environment. He had always been handsome, but he looked so much more so when he was performing. When he finished rapping his part in the song, Yongguk smiled shyly at her and Kana raised a thumb in approval.

“Did you like it?” he asked when he came out of the recording room.

Kana nodded. “It was great. I like the beat and that line about being late. Very subtle, Gukkie.” He chuckled and plopped into the chair next to her, immediately reviewing the piece.

“I think the second verse still needs some work; the rhyme scheme isn’t that good…” Yongguk mused, tapping a pencil on his notebook.

There was a knock at the door and a pretty girl popped her head in. “Oppa! Is this your girlfriend?” she asked.

A smile of recognition spread across Yongguk’s face and he put an arm around Kana. “Jieunnie, this is Kana. And Kana, this is Song Jieun, who’s going to lend her pretty voice for my song.”

It pretty much went downhill from there. Kana sat on the couch as the two began discussing the song. At first they tried to include her, but her knowledge of music was too primitive to be of much help. While the two laughed and worked together, Kana felt herself melting into the couch. Eventually she felt like a nuisance to the recording session and curled up into the corner of the couch with her phone. She pulled up a notepad app and began writing her own angry lyrics.


Oppa, I think Kana fell asleep,” whispered Jieun. Yongguk looked over at Kana, who had pulled her knees up to her chest and her hood over her eyes. He bid a silent goodnight to Jieun and slid into the seat beside Kana. Her breathing was even and slow and her hands loosely held her phone, thumbs posed as if she had been typing.

Curiosity getting the better of him, Yongguk pinched the phone away from her hands and unlocked it with his birthday. 'So predictable,' he thought as a grin spread across his face.  A notepad app popped up and she had typed a huge paragraph. He skimmed it:

“Bang Yongguk, you looked so happy in that recording room. I wish I could see you work more often with your stupid focused expression and stupid flailing arms. I wish I was more musically capable so that I could help you…You’re working so well with Jieun—Jieunnie—right now that I feel like a nuisance. I’m just going to sit here and get physically stuck to the couch and die like that one woman. Jieun is so pretty. She’s a better match for you, right? You produce and rap the songs and she fills in the gaps with her voice. Ah, I shouldn’t have come to breed these kinds of negative thoughts. Bang Yongguk, you butthead.”

Sighing silently, he looked over at her tiny sleeping form. Yongguk deftly slid the phone back between her hands and then patted her gently. It took some stronger patting before Kana came to and looked at him with glassy eyes.

“Are you done already?” she asked, yawning.

“Mostly. I still have to work on a couple things…” he replied. Yongguk tried to his best to be subtle as he put an arm around her. Kana gave him an exasperated look and curled up into his side.

“You should finish then,” she said finally. Instead of getting up, Yongguk began running his fingers through her hair.

“Do you want to go out? Are you hungry? Let’s get something to eat,” he said. Sighing, he added, “We haven’t had a real date in a while.”

It was true. He was always caught up with his work and he couldn’t count the number of times he’d cancelled last minute or postponed month-aversarives. And even when they went out, Yongguk was constantly dodging camera lenses. While he didn’t mind getting his photo snapped, he wanted to protect Kana from the vicious comments and haters. So he came up with the brilliant idea of bringing Kana into the studio with him…only to get caught up with work again. And to top it off, he'd made her feel like a nuisance when he meant to share with her what he loved doing: rapping and producing. How was he supposed to tell her that there was no better match for him than her? Even thinking that sounded awkward. 

Kana shoved him away gently. “No, I like watching you work. Go on, I’ll be fine here.”

“If you don’t come up with something, I’m just going to sit here with you until you do,” he threatened, flexing his arms to prove his point.

Kana rolled her eyes. “Alright, you’re on. We’ll see how long you can last.”

Five minutes. Ten minutes. At fifteen minutes, Kana said softly, “Gukkie, this isn’t so bad.”

“What?” he asked, shifting a little to look at her.

“Sitting here.”

Yongguk smiled and pulled her close to rest his chin on her head. Yeah, it really wasn’t so bad. “Best date ever?”

He grunted as her tiny fist lobbed him on the shoulder. 

 


 

A/N: Sorry for the late update! Thank you for reading, subscribing, commenting and being fantastic. I will do my best to update more frequently!

Please leave a comment, any comment! I really want to know what you guys think of the oneshots. Suggestions? ^^

As you can probably already tell, I'm not familiar with music production, so some of the descriptions are vague.