Art Gallery

Bang Yongguk

 

Yongguk felt just about ready to pass out. Despite being a fan of the arts, he was growing impatient as he browsed the art gallery. It was filled with pockets of people gathered around a single photo, dissecting each pixel. There was something fake about it. He was uncomfortable with the crowd too, especially after being hit on several times by women many years his senior. Tugging at his stiff dark blue collar for the hundredth time, he checked his phone for text messages.

<3 My Lovely Kana <3: just got out of my meeting, be there in five!

Yongguk texted back, 'Hurry, before I pass out and one of these hot ahjummas sweeps me off my feet.'

He could barely recall how he was dragged to Himchan's art gallery's photo exhibit in the first place (must have had something to do with being BFFLs). The man himself was busy greeting guests and laughing at dry jokes over champagne.

Someone nudged his side and he turned to see Daehyun's huge grin. "What's up hyung?"

"I'm debating whether I should kill Himchan or not...for making me come and then ignoring me."

Daehyun held out his glass for a refill of champagne and sipped it eagerly. Yongguk raised an eyebrow at him but he was quick to defend himself. 

"Free alcohol! No one's checking IDs! Himchan-hyung probably paid loads for this and I'm making sure it's not being wasted. And hyung, it's just a little bit." Damn his sharp tongue.

They continued through the gallery for a few more minutes, sending death glares to their friend.

Daehyun stopped suddenly with his eyes focused on someone at the entrance. "Hyung, who is that? She's pretty," he whispered urgently.

The person in question was wearing a dark blue dress and a gray cardigan. She seemed to be scanning the gallery for someone. Yes, she was pretty. But she was also—

Daehyun gasped softly when he realized who it was. That didn't stop Yongguk from slapping him playfully with the exhibit brochure. They joined Kana and took her to greet Himchan. All they got was a brief hello followed by champagne before a wave of important and artsy looking persons steered the man of the night away. Yongguk made sure that Himchan caught sight of his exasperated expression before he veered off with Kana.

"How were the hot ahjummas treating you?"

"They were all over me, I had to give them Daehyun as a sacrificial lamb." They scanned the gallery and found the blonde-haired boy at the other side of the room. Daehyun was surrounded by a group of older women whom he was collectively calling "noonas". Kana and Yongguk shared a look before laughing, which caught the attention of some disapproving guests.

She somehow managed to drag him through a couple more rows before his collar was nearly wrinkled with his constant fiddling. Kana reached up to undo his tie and he gratefully undid the top button.

"Thanks, this place has been suffocating me since I came," Yongguk admitted as he slipped the tie into his pocket.

"To be honest, I'm not that comfortable here too Gukkie," she said quietly. "It's stuffy and it feels like everyone's watching me, who am I? Why am I here? Why do I sound like a sneezing elephant when I laugh?"

A gummy smile formed on his lips and he replied, "At least you didn't have ahjummas offering you yachts and sports cars."

"I'm glad you didn't give in to temptation," she patted his head playfully.

Yongguk took her hand and began leading her towards the entrance. They waited their turn to bid Himchan goodnight. On second thought, they called for Daehyun, but he was still caught up with his noonas. "Make sure you're the one taking him home tonight," Yongguk warned Himchan.

Once outside, he pulled off his jacket and swung it over one shoulder while Kana leaned on the other one.

"Where to, Kana-bear?"

"I'm hungry."

"I ate before the--"

She pouted.

"There's a pasta place around the block. Do you want to walk there?"

The pasta was more than enough for Kana who pretty much inhaled it. Yongguk watched her with mild adoration. The chilly night prompted him to give her his jacket and they walked back to his car.

"You know, when you first walked in Daehyun asked me who's that? She's pretty."

Kana laughed. "Dae is cute."

Yongguk stopped to give her a disapproving glare. "Don't encourage him."

"Don't be jealous. You hate 'cute'."

"I don't hate it," he mumbled.

"Oh? Care to show some?"

After barely a beat of hesitation, he mustered up, "Mae illlll". To his dismay, instead of cringing or naming him the cutest, she doubled over in laughter.

"Yah," he warned, face cracking into embarrassment.

"I can't even...Gukkie that was awful," she managed between breaths.

They reached his car after a tirade of teasing. A surprise was waiting for them; Daehyun and Himchan were right beside the car...or rather, Himchan was holding up a very drunk Dae and trying to grab the keys to his car at the same time. Dae swayed from side to side and waved haphazardly when he spotted Kana and Yongguk.

"NoOOnAAaa!" he cried. Then in a slurred voice, yet somehow managing to get the tone right, "Because noona, you're my woman! Noona, you're my--" Himchan clamped a hand over his mouth.

"What happened to him?" Yongguk asked. He allowed Dae to flop over onto his shoulder while Himchan scrambled to find his keys. Kana brushed Dae's disheveled hair aside and felt for a temperature.

"He had way too much champagne, although how you get drunk off such weak champagne, I will never know." Himchan began clearing his passenger seat while Yongguk attempted to straighten the young inebriated man in his arms.

"He's not feverish, so that's good. Just some hangover tea and sleep, okay?" advised Kana as she patted his hair back into place.

Dae cracked open his eyes and reached out to hold Kana's hand. "Noona, you are the cutest. So cute and...NooNAaa is so pretty! Looking at her I go crazy! Replay replay--"

Yongguk shoved him dangerously into his seat and gave the younger man a deadly glare as he buckled him in. "Not a drop until you're legal, Daehyun."

Kana giggled into her hand. They watched Himchan drive off before she turned to him to say, "I'm the cutest noona!"

Yongguk narrowed his eyes and replied, "Yah, there's not a drop of aegyo in you. And stop encouraging him."

"I'm not. Being Bang Yongguk's girlfriend is stressful enough with all the 'mae ill' I have to endure."

"Still no aegyo."

"Really?" she challenged. Yongguk nodded as he held out the car door for her. Instead of getting into the car, she turned to him with puppy eyes and a pout, fists raised to her cheeks. 

"Oppppaaaa...am I cute?" The overly girly voice that oozed rainbows, candies and tears of Care Bears made Yongguk double over in embarrassment and laughter. And yes, maybe his heart fluttered a little. When he recovered, Kana was still keeping up the act and Yongguk was sure his face had turned pink. 

He relented and replied, "Alright, alright. So cute that I'm going to die. Now can we go?" With a triumphant smile, she hopped into her seat.

As he made his way around the car, he was sure he heard a muffled, "I'm the cutest noona!" 

 


Author's Note: I know the legal drinking age in Korea is 20 and Daehyun is already 20, but for the story's purpose, I'm going to pretend it's 21 (like the US).