Ramen Date

Bang Yongguk

 

08:52 PM

Yongguk watched his breath cloud in front of him as he exhaled. He checked his phone for perhaps the billionth time within the last hour: no new text messages.

The snow crunched beneath his feet as he trudged back to the parking lot. He brushed off the snow that had gathered on his shoulders and grew annoyed. Kana was an hour late, no calls or texts, and frankly, on a cold night like this? Yongguk slammed his car door closed and fired up the heater for warmth. He can’t remember the last time he had gotten angry with Kana, but this definitely qualified as worthy of a few angry rap lines in their next song. Ok, maybe he was exaggerating.

The worry that was expanding in his chest grew more uncomfortable as the minutes trickled by. Perhaps the worst thing besides being late was not letting him know where she was. He finally made up his mind and pulled out of the parking lot; he would trace the route she should have taken.

Just as Yongguk was about to make a right turn around the corner, he caught sight of a familiar bundle of black and blue walking quickly on the sidewalk. He made a quick u-turn and pulled up next to Kana.

Yongguk made sure he had his irritated face on when he got out of the car. She looked at him with a shocked expression that melted into a radiant smile. How did that smile get him every time?

Before she could say anything, Yongguk asked in a dangerously low voice, “Where were you for the past hour? Without answering your phone?”

Kana bit her lip and kept the distance between them, well aware of his angry aura. “Gukkie, I’m so sorry. I got caught up with some old friends and I couldn’t call you because my phone died.” She held out her darkened phone as evidence.

“We had a date though,” he added, unyielding.

“Gukkie oppa, can I make it up to you?” she asked sweetly.

He sighed impatiently since aegyo was never their way of communicating. “Kana, you could have at least, I don’t know, let me know where you were. I was waiting in the snow and I didn’t know if I should go find you or stay put in case you came.”

She brushed the snow off the lapels of his coat and said quietly, “I really tried to get here as fast as I could. And I was worried you’d be worried…are you cold?” Kana slipped her hands into his and stuffed them into her pockets.

“Don’t change the topic,” he warned, keeping his hands intertwined with hers anyway.

“I’m so so sorry that I was an hour late. And I should have called but my phone died, so I’m not sorry about that.” He widened his eyes a little, but she continued, “But I’m sorry that I made you worried sick and cold and irritated. Okay?” She had the audacity to kiss the tip of his frozen nose.

Yongguk sighed before saying, “Just let me know where you are next time, okay?”

“Yes sir!” They hurried into the car and blasted the heater. Yongguk drove to the Japanese restaurant where they were supposed to have their ramen date. Once inside, he ordered two steaming bowls of ramen. It was the best meal he’d had in a while; the nearly boiling broth warmed him to the bone marrow and well, ramen was a gift from the gods. Kana watched him devour the bowl in minutes and tried not to laugh when he ordered another.

“I think I have a food baby,” Kana complained as they stepped outside.

“You didn’t even eat much,” he retorted, tucking her hand into his pocket. The two walked like that for a couple minutes, watching their breaths fog in the still night air and letting the warmth of the hot ramen seep away. Despite the cold nipping at his nose, Yongguk felt…blissful. Was that the right word? He wrapped Kana into a tight hug and felt her fit perfectly against his chest. Yeah, blissful was the right word.

“Gukkie…”

“What?”

“I really wish we could stand like this for a long time…”

He hummed in response and held on tighter.

“But it’s freaking cold and my fingers are going to freeze off.” Yongguk laughed and pulled away, holding up her hands for inspection. They were indeed pinker than usual.

“Alright, Princess. Let’s go,” he chuckled. Yongguk kissed her cheeks and planted a long one on her lips, commenting, “There, that should warm your face up a little.”