Rice Cakes: Part 2

Bang Yongguk

The next couple days, Yongguk tried pushing Kana to the corner of his mind, but she wouldn’t stay there. It didn’t help that Daehyun was in contact with her and mentioned (offhandedly, not on purpose, of course not) that she had caught some sort of stomach bug. Final TV appearances before their Japanese promotions, rigorous dance and vocal practices, and photo shoots consumed the rest of his time. Yet he found himself in convenience stores at two in the morning buying all kinds of medicine; he scolded himself for not knowing what she had or having the guts to just ask.

The flight was 8 AM sharp the following day and he had been allowed a full night’s sleep. Yongguk had gone to eat with a couple of the members. He was driving Daehyun and Himchan back, wondering what he would’ve done tonight if he hadn’t told her goodbye.

“Hyung, what’s all this?” Daehyun had found the bag of medications under his seat. Before Yongguk could answer, Himchan was going through them.

“Yah, when did you have so many stomach problems? Indigestion, antacids…diarrhea?! Yah, are you that stressed?” Himchan asked worriedly.

“No, I got them for someone else…” Yongguk trailed off, hoping they wouldn’t inquire further.

“Kana noona?” Daehyun prompted.

“Ah, that explains why she was pale and tired when I saw her today. You’re seeing her after you drop us off?” Himchan’s question put him in a sticky spot for he hadn’t considered seeing her at all. The idea had just remained a nagging feeling.

“Wait, is that why you made this hangout so short? I see how it is.” After a tirade of playful complaints, they finally reached the dorm. As Daehyun got out of the car, he said, “Hyung, say a proper ‘goodbye’ and ‘I’ll be back’ to noona.” Yongguk grunted and drove off with only one possible destination in mind. He would just hand her the medicine and leave.

The steam escaping from the bowl of porridge grazed Yongguk’s hand while the pills rattled inside their bottles as they bounced on the side of his knee. He raised a tentative finger to the doorbell, hesitating for a brief second before pressing it. The buzz made him regret the visit entirely and he gritted his teeth, bracing himself for the worst.

When she didn’t respond, he headed back to his car in a huff. Why wasn’t she home at this hour? Why wasn’t she home when he was waiting to take care of her? He slammed the car door feeling irrationally angry and drove off. Minutes later, he was rounding the corner, hoping the porridge hadn’t cooled. Many minutes later, the porridge was lukewarm and his anger had been replaced by ruefulness.

He drove back to the dorm and wasn’t surprised to find a reporter and a couple stalker fans hanging at the entrance of the underground parking. He grabbed the porridge and medicines, perhaps Daehyun would appreciate them. As he locked his car, he nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw Kana walking in the opposite direction. She looked just as shocked, but they managed to stand a foot apart.

“What are you doing here?” he regretted the accusatory implications of the question, but she knew him better than to take it that way.

“I…ah, how should I say this…I know you’re leaving for Japan tomorrow, so I thought I’d…keep my promise I guess.” She held up a plastic box which held spicy rice cakes. The memory hit him like a train; this was what they had eaten on their first date, except she couldn’t handle even the slightest spiciness and started sweating and tearing the moment she bit into one. Since he loved them so much though, she promised to make him some before he left for a trip. He felt his saliva build up at the thought of their taste. Damn her cooking skills.

“Well, they’re cold now so I don’t think they’re good anymore…” she trailed off, waiting for his response.

“Were you…were you waiting for long?”

“Just long enough for the security guard to get annoyed with me,” she chuckled, gesturing towards the security booth near the elevators. Yongguk glared at the uniformed man, who always gave her a hard time when he wasn’t around. “Late night snacking?” she asked, pointing to his bags.

“Oh, yeah…” he cursed himself, why was he always like this? There was a tiny pause and he debated if he should just tell her the truth. ‘I was worried about you, so I bought everything I would’ve if you’d let me take care of you again.’

“I think it’s time I go now. Have a safe flight tomorrow and take care of yourself…” she smiled.

“Yeah, thanks…” His brain screamed for him to hold onto her at least, but he just watched as she walked back to her car. He finally called out, “Wait!” She looked at him in surprise as he jogged up to her.

“You’re not going to finish what you came for?” he asked, holding his hand out expectantly.

“But they’re cold…”

“You’re going to let me go to Japan without eating them? I remember someone saying they were for good luck,” he ventured, hoping he wasn’t coming off as pleading. 

She placed the box in his hands, looking him full in the eyes as she said, “Good luck….and don’t overwork yourself.”

He let her get in the car. He let her drive away. He let her believe it was truly the end. He angrily shoved the porridge and medicines into a trashcan and returned to his apartment. Daehyun was chatting on the phone at the dining table but he was forcibly displaced. Yongguk dug into the rice cakes and despite their lukewarm state, his taste buds were screaming with joy. His unknowing dongsaeng ventured a hand toward them and was quickly punished. Yongguk knew exactly what he was going to do tomorrow morning. Thank you, rice cakes.

He dragged himself out of bed and got ready for the long day. The smile and resolution on his face were impenetrable by the dreary morning. An hour later Yongguk arrived in front of Kana’s apartment and did not hesitate as he rang the doorbell.

Many rings later, the door slowly swung open and a very sleepy Kana poked her head out. Her hood was drawn over her head in attempt to hide her disheveled hair and she squinted at him through tired eyes. “Good morning?” she croaked in her morning voice. It was adorable.

He held up the bag he’d brought for her. “Porridge and medicine. Take care of yourself while I’m gone…because I’m sorry about what I said the other night. I…I didn’t think about your feelings.” He paused here and ran a hand through his hair, averting his eyes from her questioning gaze. “I was selfish, but your rice cakes made me realize that I don’t think I can let you go.”

She folded her arms across her chest and raised an eyebrow. “So you’re here to guarantee more rice cakes?” Before he could respond, she leaned back and allowed the door to shut. His arm shot out to stop it halfway.

“Kana-bear, let me finish! That came out wrong but what I meant is…I’m sorry. I really am. I…I love you.” He felt the blood pounding in his ears; no doubt they were bright red now.

She leaned out again. “What did you say?” there was a teasing tone in her voice now and it gave him confidence to look up at her.

“I’m sorry,” he began. Yongguk leaned forward and pecked her on the lips before continuing, “and I love you.”

She looked mortified and covered as she whispered, “Gukkie, I didn’t brush my teeth yet.” 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

A/N: Woo! Thanks for reading!

Please leave any requests/suggestions/something you guys want to see in the comments! I'm running out of fluffy ideas and would love to hear from my lovely readers ^^ I will take your suggestions seriously and may turn them into oneshots. 

I'm going to devote some time to writing my other fic "Façade", so please check it out and let me know your thoughts!

Check out the TVXQ Changmin version of this oneshot!

Thank you again for being amazing readers/subscribers! *throws you fluff*