Look At Me

Noona, Will You Ever Love Me? {HIATUS}

 

 

Kai sends you a text saying he's staying at Taemin's for the rest of the weekend. Although he didn't want to see you, but he didn't want you to worry. You text him back, asking if he's ok, but you don't get anything back.

A few minutes later your phone rings. You hurry up to answer because you think it's Kai, however it's from Mr. Kim instead. (Kai's dad)

"Hello Mr. Kim. What can I do for you?"

"Hello Miss Noh. We are letting you know we will be back on Tuesday. You need to prepare for a small banquet we will be having on Thursday."

"Oh Ok. How many people?"

"It is not going to be too big, but you might need a couple of helpers. We are expecting close to 100 people. We will send the precise amount and menu by email tomorrow."

"Thank you for letting me know in advance. I will work hard."

 

The next day you get the email. You check everything and sure enough you will need help. The total amount of people arriving are 97. You will need at least two helpers. Since you only work for the Kim's and feed one person you didn't need anyones help. However, now you needed extra hands and didn't know who to turn to so you decide to call Mirah.

 

On the phone:

"Unnie are you going to be busy on Thursday?"

"Yes, I actually have a few places to cater to. Why?"

"Oh it's because I have a banquet coming up and I need a couple of helpers. Can you recommend anyone to me?"

"Hmm let me think...I have to ask around. I'll call you back."

A few hours later Mirah calls you back.

"Lina! You remember Kris from culinary school?"

"Oh yeah. I almost forgot about him since I graduated a year early."

"Yeah well it's his last year and he is still trying to get recommendations. I asked him to help you and to bring a newbie as an assistant. What do you think?" 

"That would be great! I remember he was really good. Thank you."

"Here let me give you his number..."

That day you study everything in the menu. You like doing your best so whenever you have to do something this big you do a lot of research. You also call Kris and tell him to meet you on Wednesday so you could go over things in detail. You forward the email to him since you want him to know what to expect.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai comes back from Taemin's and you welcome him back and he blushes. You laugh and say nothing else since you believe he's embarrassed because you know he has a crush.

I missed her...Why can't I stop myself from liking her?

The next day you go out to the markets to find out where to buy the best ingredients. You still cook for Kai, but since you're busy going out and he's busy with his dance classes you hardly see him. He starts missing you, but concludes it's for the best.

The Kim's arrive and you greet them. It turns out they will only stay a couple of days and will leave early Friday. Preparations start fast. The banquet will be held at their home therefore tables, chairs, and tent are brought over along with heaters since it's almost November.

 

The next day you meet up with Kris. You catch up a little and he introduces you to Chanyeol the one who is going to be assisting you.

"Hi Kris. It's been a long time!"

"Yeah I know. How you've been? You must be happy since you're working at a nice place."

"Yes it took me a while to get it, but I'm really happy now."

"That's great! Let me introduce you to Chanyeol. He's a second year in culinary school."

"Annyonghaseyo noona. Please take care of me." Chanyeol says with a big smile and deep voice.

"Annyonghaseyo. It's going to be great working with you two. And who knows if tomorrow goes well I'll call you back whenever we have another banquet."

"Sounds great!" They both say.

"Ok you already looked over the menu so you know what to expect. Basically Kris and I will be in charge of cooking and you Chanyeol will make sure we have everything ready...

Arrive early tomorrow so you can get familiar with the kitchen...

Now let's talk about pay..."

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally the day of the banquet arrives. It's a very busy morning since workers are coming in and out with flowers and other decorations.

Kai doesn't care much for what is going on and is in the living room watching the movie you watched with him and Taemin a while back. You are outside meeting with the waiters and waitresses giving them basic instructions.

The doorbell rings and Kai opens the door. Two very handsome men are standing there, he asks who they are and they tell him they're here to help you with the banquet. He walks them outside to where you are and then goes back inside. You greet them and tell them to wait a little while. You finish up with the waiters and then turn your attention to Kris and Chanyeol. A few minutes later the three of you make your way into the kitchen. Kai was in there getting something to drink. You come in smiling and laughing. Kai only catches the last bit of the conversation,

"So then I said, 'Maybe next time.'" Kris says.

"Haha you're so funny Kris. That joke never gets old."

Kai doesn't say anything, but stands at a distance. He's paying very close attention to how you are treating Kris. You seem to be comfortable around him and Kai doesn't like it. He wants you to act this way towards him and no one else. At the same time he hated that he was feeling this way. He leaves without saying anything, but is annoyed at the fact that you are in there with two guys.

The next couple of hours are spent getting everything ready in the kitchen. Everyone is chopping, pealing, washing and more. After you move on to the appetizers since the guests will be arriving in a couple of hours and you had to have those ready for the waiters.

The three of you are very busy during the banquet and there is no time to take a break. Waiters were coming in and out demanding the orders. You felt the pressure, but that only gave you more adrenaline and you were able to handle it all. 

Kai is sitting down at a table a little bored. He becomes curious as to what you are doing, but brushes those thoughts away. However, those thoughts continue invading his mind that finally curiosity get the best of him and he walks towards the kitchen. He can see you from a distance and sees how hard you're working. It looks very hectic, but you make it look effortless. You even seem to be enjoying yourself, he finds it very attractive. He envies that passion you have for what you do. Now he wants to find that passion in life.

Kai walks into the kitchen pretending to refill his drink and hears you laughing. You're joking around with Kris and laughing. He doesn't like it. He doesn't understand why he's feeling jealous if he doesn't want to like you. Though he's been trying to avoid you, but he had the urge to get your attention. Although Kai's mind is telling him not to like you, but his feelings are too strong. He wants your attention, he wants you to look at him, but at the same time he's fighting against those feelings. 

Why don't you look at me? Pay attention to me.

Finally he panics and doesn't know what to do. So he does the only thing that comes to mind. He tries to get your attention by being in the way. You bump into him a couple of times and ask him to move away. He does, but only to bump into you a couple of minutes later. Finally, after a while you get mad because this is something very serious and he's causing problems. You tell him sharply to get out because you're working. Kris and Chanyeol turn around and look at him, he looks at them back a little embarrassed, but tries to hide it. They go back to what they were doing, but with a small grin. He catches that, doesn't like it and says, "No one is even eating anyway." then leaves.

 

It was a very hectic day, but it was finally over. You clean up the kitchen as much as you can, say good bye and thank Kris and Chaneyol for helping you. You ask them if you can count on them for the next banquet they say yes. You are happy to have two hard working men helping you. You are beat because by the time you're done it is close to three in the morning. The Kim's have a flight to catch tomorrow, so you try to be as quiet as possible since they are already sleeping.
 
Since it has been a stressful and annoying two weeks you decide to go home for the weekend. You wake up late since you went to bed close to 3:30 in the morning, the Kim's were already gone and Kai wasn't there as usual. Before leaving for the weekend you prepare a few things for Kai to eat and leave them in containers. Your mind thinks back to when you first did this and how you had to come back because he was being childish. You missed the old Kai, the one who use to hang around you like a lost child, joking, and being immature. You let out a sigh and continue with what you were doing.
 
Kai doesn't come home that night so you send him a text asking if he's ok. He sends you one back saying he's at Taemin's. You let him know you'll be going home for the weekend, but apparently he doesn't receive it. The next day you send him one last text before going home. You tell him that just in case he gets hungry you left food. He sees the text and feels bad for acting the way he's acting. Although he's avoiding you and treating you coldly, but he sees how much you still worry about him.

While at Taemin's he's sulking around not wanting to do anything. Taemin is trying different ways to get him to cheer up, but it doesn't work. Eventually Kai feels annoyed enough to go back home.

Sunday comes around and he doesn't get up in the morning. Instead he sleeps all day, but even in his dreams you appear. He gets up close to 4:00 pm going into the kitchen and walking around doing little things to keep his mind occupied, but nothing seems to work. His thoughts always go back to you, he misses you. 

I can't help but miss her. This is torture!

 

It's around 9:00 pm and Kai is expecting you home any minute. While he's waiting he's in the living room scanning through the channels. 
9:30 pm nothing.
10:00 pm nothing. He's feeling restless and worried because you're still not home. He takes out his phone and starts composing a text, but erases it in the end. He's pacing back and forth looking out the window every so often to see if you're coming. Nothing.This isn't normal. Why isn't she home?
10:30 pm comes around and he's really worried. He decides to call you. No answer. He tries a couple more times, but still nothing. He gets really worried. I know something happened. He would've called your house, but doesn't know the number. 
 
 
I promise I won't be so cold to her just as long as she comes back safe.
 
It's close to 12:00 am and Kai is sitting down on his couch going crazy with worry when all of a sudden he hears the front door.
You're trying to open the door and are in the process of getting the key into the key hole. Kai rushes towards the door and swings it open. You're a little surprised at the fast action. You and Kai look at each other for a few seconds then you say, "What are..." Before you could even finish he pulls you into a tight, but caring hug. You could feel the warmth of his body against yours. While this is going on your mind is moving really fast. What's going on? Why is he acting this way? He's so warm. Omo, what am I thinking!? 
 
"I was so worried."