Chapter 30

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: GUYS! You must read the previous chapter cause I've rewritten it. It's a must read the last part (onsic part) because it is important to this . :) Anyway, thank you for all the love so far! I am very thankful. After this chapter will be the finale! :) So watch out and hold your breaths. This is an emotional chapter but you'll like it. :) Continue the reading!

Here I am - what Donghae sang in this chapter cr: to real artist

Last Kiss-what Seohyun sang in this chapter cr: to real artist

Listen to you- what Kyuhyun sang in this chapter (he's the singer)

-o0o-

Chapter 30: “She had to know the pain was beating on me like a drum- Taylor Swift”

-o0o-

When his fake colds and coughs disappeared, Kyuhyun went to work the following day, Sungmin giving him glare shots for taking that absence. He just laughed it off, apologizing anyway for doing that and telling him the reason for leaving out on the case works. Sungmin’s mood then shifted to steep heaven.

“Seriously?” he asked, appearing like he could jump off a cliff from happiness.

Kyuhyun nodded nonchalantly. “What’s wrong with you?”

“You two...aish...”Sungmin said, stammering. “I mean...come on. You slept together and...you moved her things for her. And...oh my god, you guys will be together in no time.”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Not this fairytale again.”

“No, seriously,” Sungmin exclaimed. “I mean...why did you make her move out?”

“She’d be comfortable if I was away,” he replied, as the two entered Kyuhyun’s office. The other man sat on the smooth black chair, raised his legs on to the glass table. Kyuhyun sat across his hyung and gazed at his state menacingly. Sungmin obediently put his feet back on the ground, reading his eyes at once.

“What do you mean comfortable?” he asked Kyuhyun who sighed.

“She’s getting married,” he answered. “I know for a fact that she doesn’t want to stay with me. So...I let her go.”

“Pfft, what’s with that drama,” Sungmin replied, nearly serious. “I’d take any opportunity I can just to be with someone I love.”

“But that’s you, Sungmin,” Kyuhyun responded. “I’m not you and she’s not Sunny.” He remembered that night when he held her so close, the feeling of nirvana and hell all mixed into one bad . He should have known she would cry. He should’ve expected such a reaction from Seohyun, who hadn’t felt his presence for more than two years. One question was why she didn’t push him away. He tried thinking that Seohyun actually liked it as well that was why she couldn’t do anything but cry. She was so sweet, smelled so nice, soft...

He shook his head. “She cried when I held her. I thought she’d play along, be with me, love me. But she cried instead.  I couldn’t move my hands anymore. I felt...cold. I felt cold when I touch her. I was overwhelmed because I want her so much that I realized it was wrong. She can...can never...ever...I don’t want her to cry because of me. I’ve had enough of that.”

“She’s coming to Ryeowook’s engagement party, right?”

Kyuhyun nodded, thankful that he changed the topic. “I asked her to.”

“At least, you two spent time together yesterday,” he highlighted. “I mean...I guess after that night, I bet Seohyun really felt sorry for you.” Sungmin laughed, patting him. “Easy does it. There’s still a chance you can have her back.”

“I’m tired of wanting her back,” Kyuhyun admitted. “I’m tired of seeing how she’s forcing herself to be happy with me. I just...I don’t want to see Seo cry.”

“You’d rather watch her leave than fall in love again?” he wondered, feeling sad for his friend.

Kyuhyun sighed, falling back to rest his head. “She’s gone, hyung. She already left two years ago. I cannot risk it. I can’t fall in love.”

“So...my guesses were right.”

The two men stared at Kyuhyun’s desk, a woman staring at them sharply with her glasses skewed a bit to the right, her hands filled with documents. Haelee approached them, Sungmin gulping in surprise that someone was actually inside, actually heard the conversation about Kyuhyun’s past.

She lowered her head in respect. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for entering without permission. But because you were late today, I thought you wouldn’t be coming so....I’m ready to receive punishment.”

Kyuhyun chuckled, shaking his head. “Haelee, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I understand.”

The woman stood straight, smiling. “You weren’t sick yesterday.”

He shook his head honestly, holding his hand out. “Sorry. I’m guilty.”

“You....were with...Seohyun? Ms. Seo Joohyun?” Haelee asked excitedly. “I overheard that you two slept together. Must have been quite a fun night. Won’t your mother love to hear about that?”

Sungmin shook his head, chirping in. “No. His mother will be pissed to hear about that.”

“Why?” Haelee was surprised, unable to understand.

Kyuhyun sighed. “You won’t get it, Haelee. Mother knows Seohyun already.”

Haelee nodded, remembering their meeting in Busan. “Yes, that’s right. That means it’ll turn out okay if she found out you two were dating.”

“Not...exactly.” the two men chorused, Kyuhyun looking away while scratching his hair.

Haelee was even confused. “I don’t get it.”

“Seohyun...Seohyun was...Kyuhyun’s,” Sungmin put it as that, grinning that Kyuhyun glowered at him for revealing the secret.

“Kyuhyun’s what?”

“Wife,” Kyuhyun answered sharply, somewhat provoked. “Honey, sweetie, darling, lover, girlfriend, friend, chagiya, woman...wife. She’s my wife. Do you get it now?”

Haelee’s mouth was as wide as the moon, circling in alarm. She didn’t imagined that Seohyun was the girl---the girl that Kyuhyun had in his heart for all these time, why he could never open up to another.

“If...if...if she’s your wife...does that mean the baby...the baby she brought...” Haelee couldn’t make out the words; her tongue tied by the unseen cat pulling also her heart to drum faster on her chest.

Sungmin laughed at the idea. As he was about to answer and shake his head, Kyuhyun replied, “Yes. Sijoong’s my son.”

“What?” both of them asked, Kyuhyun beaming brightly.

“He’s my son,” Kyuhyun said, falling serious. “Seohyun told me. Hyung, you do remember when I went to Japan? I met Seohyun there. We bought couple shirts to prove to you that we met each other. Sijoong’s going to be a year old though by September.”

“DNA test? Are you sure he’s yours?” Haelee sounded so concerned. “What will...what will the President say about this? Aigoo, her own son having illegitimate affairs!”

Sungmin couldn’t believe it himself. “You’re lying. I know you are.”

“Come on,” Kyuhyun scoffed, still acting. “I mean...Sijoong can’t be Yonghwa’s son. They started dating just this year. But Haelee mustn’t tell umma.”

Haelee nodded, bowing. “I must...go. I’m sorry. I promise not to tell. I swear.”

Kyuhyun couldn’t repress the giggles, looking at Sungmin. “You’re a liar.”

“Seohyun taught me that,” he replied.

“What if Haelee tells?” Sungmin wondered.

Kyuhyun simply shrugged, smirking. “The better. Mom will freak like...crazy. It’s good so that she’ll stop with the blind dates.”

-o0o-

“You two going out now?”

“I didn’t know you still hang out together!”

“Are you dating?”

“Is it normal for a divorced couple to be coming to a party together?”

“I smell love between the two of you.”

Although they arrived together, they never held hands like other couples and talk in hush tones like other couples. They stood side by side each other; not ever touching the other party as they greeted the people that would always doubted their situation. He invited just a few of close friends and family, Kyuhyun thought.

Because Kyuhyun was known to be the director of the business firm that Ryeowook and Beige worked in, his hands met everyone he came across with, eyebrows also raising at the lovely woman Kyuhyun had with him that night. He simply smiled, ignoring all the remarks and comments about the two of them. Seohyun also remained quiet, as what Kyuhyun told her before they drove to Ryeowook’s house. When he spotted where Sungmin and Sunny were staying, he quickly seized Seohyun’s hand, the girl just following him.

Haelee felt awkward, seeing the two together approached their table. Everyone stood up, bowed their heads, and greeted Kyuhyun a wonderful evening. Sunny’s eyes were bright upon noticing that Seohyun was right behind Kyuhyun, timidly finding a sit next to him.

“Wow! You two...are together?” she asked, surprised yet smiling.

Kyuhyun and Seohyun both shook their heads. “No.”

“Why?” Sungmin wondered, nudging Kyuhyun. “You two seem to be closer now than before.”

“If closer means no talking, I suppose so,” Kyuhyun replied, Seohyun quietly chuckling at the comment.

Haelee paid much attention to the other woman, eyeing her. She was Kyuhyun’s wife after all, and her mind was ready to fire loads of questions.

“Ms. Seo, I heard not too long ago that you were once Kyuhyun-sshi’s wife?” she seemed to be always so frank when it came to her best friend.

Seohyun’s eyes widened, looking up to Kyuhyun who simply grinned. He pretended not to hear the question by talking to Sungmin instead, yet his ears still focused on his ex-wife and friend.

Kyuhyun turned to Haelee. “Don’t bring that up, Haelee-ah.”

Haelee giggled. “What? It’s just... a question. I’m curious.”

“Well,” Kyuhyun replied, putting an arm over Seohyun’s shoulder, the woman blushing red. “She used to be. But now we’re more like friends.”

The girl nodded. “I see. Seohyun’s awfully quiet, Kyuhyun-sshi. What did you do to her?”

For a second, Seohyun and Kyuhyun glared at each other, the latter rolling his eyes to avoid more of that face. Seohyun giggled assuredly, shaking her head as she covered .

“Unnie, don’t misunderstand,” Seohyun replied. “Oppa...said he wanted me to go. I just came anyway.”

“Enjoy the party dear,” Haelee suggested, grinning. She then talked to her seatmate, completely ignoring Seohyun. Seeing all these well-known big time people made Seohyun uneasy. It was not usual to be invited over, because Ryeowook didn’t seriously request her to come---it was just Kyuhyun. Across their table sat her other friends, setting eyes on Jessica and her glittery eyeliner. Seohyun was happy seeing her other unnies too, like Sunny and Taeyeon chatting in one corner of her table. Seohyun couldn’t help but feel like an outcast.

Seohyun rubbed Kyuhyun’s arm, making him turn his head. Haelee, Sungmin and Sunny all stared at the couple: all three mixed with different emotions. Haelee’s heart was filled with jealousy; Sungmin’s in full paradise while Sunny’s was jumpy in nervousness.

“Oppa...Jessica-unnie’s here,” she whispered into his ear, Kyuhyun putting up a smile to see the other woman. Their position, though awkward in other people’s eyes, seemed normal to them because Seohyun was holding him close as he too answered her in a quiet tone.

“That ahjumma knows her way,” Kyuhyun replied, laughing afterwards. Seohyun thumped his shoulder for that comment, though her eyes flickered in mischievousness.

“Oppa, that’s not nice,” Seohyun told him.

“When have I ever been nice anyway,” Kyuhyun left it like that, going back to Sungmin now.

They were in one table with Sungmin and among Kyuhyun’s other hyungs and their wives. It appeared like a grand reunion of the dorm 13 boys because they were all present, even their Hangeng-hyung. Kangin and Shindong were invited as well, chugging on the alcohol the time they arrived.

“Seohyun-ah,” Sunny started again, nudging her. “Why don’t we move in to a different table? Let’s sit with the other girls to give the boys their privacy.”

Seohyun nodded, getting up with a smile. Kyuhyun got hold of her arm, Seohyun gazing back at him in surprise. He too was amazed at his reflexes, how quick he reacted when she was about to move away. Sunny giggled when she saw this moment, covering .

“Aish, I’m sorry, Kyuhyun-sshi,” Sunny apologized. “I forgot. I’m not used to it.” She cleared , Sungmin now also taking interest in this scene. “I’m sorry. May I please borrow your Seohyun for a moment?”

He slowly let go, lowering his head in a nod. Seohyun also bowed her head. “I won’t be long, oppa.”

They all clapped and cheered for that, Seohyun blushing as she and Sunny made their way out of the table, together with Sohee and Taeyeon also following their lead; Donghae patting Kyuhyun’s back in luck.

Heechul’s laugh was the loudest among others; trying to cover his mouth was no good either. “Yah, Seohyun-sshi! Aren’t you getting married? Why don’t you remove Yonghwa and replace him with Kyuhyun-sshi instead? Huh?”

The women were giggling in silence, Seohyun pursing her lips to smile in front of the oppa. Kyuhyun, annoyed, kicked his hyung’s foot below, clicking his tongue.

“You’re overdoing it, hyung!” he reprimanded, embarrassed.

Heechul shook his finger. “Nah, it’s the truth. You should have never let her go. Perhaps...if you have done that...I bet...you won’t have trouble now.”

“Whatever,” he mumbled, staring at the small stage where the couple stayed, Ryeowook and Beige sharing secrets and such while a singer performed for them in the center.

“Look at Donghae-sshi!” Heechul gave an example, Donghae’s smile disappearing immediately. “He’s...he’s holding on to her too tight he’s forgotten she’s already getting married!”

Donghae was deep in thought after that comment. The men chortled noisily, the two men struck by Heenim’s words were as still as a rock. What happened to him and Sunye the other week, how different it felt for the last time---were kisses so insignificant when someone else was in your heart?

The morning when he was about to work, Sunye was up awake, made him some pancakes for breakfast and cleaned the whole house. It was surprise to Donghae, knowing that she usually didn’t do all of this stuff.

“Donghae-sshi...” Sunye started with a smile, sitting next to him while he drank the coffee she made for him.

He had his chin up, but eyes on the newspaper.

“I have...I have something to tell you,” she said excitedly, but her voice seemed shaky and anxious. Donghae now looked at her, putting the cup down.

“What is it?”

Sunye timidly slipped out the ring from her finger, putting it on the table. “I...I...have to decline...our marriage for another day.”

His eyes grew big in shock. “Wh...why?”

“I’m going to Paris with my models,” she admitted happily, clapping her hands. “I’m afraid that...I’m afraid that we won’t be able to see each other now. Please don’t be angry. Please...please understand. This...this is something I wanted ever since I was a child. Please...please let me follow this dream, Donghae-sshi. I love...I love you, but I really really love this job. Let me...let me go, please?”

Donghae was gaping, astonished at this revelation. She flapped her eyelids at him, her eye smile ever so enchanting. Donghae picked up the ring a bit sadly, sighing afterwards.

“Do you really want to give me up for that?”

“Oh...you know I love you, Donghae-sshi!” she whined, putting her hands together in pleading. “This...I had trouble deciding what to do until I thought how much this really means to me. But...but...I want this. I want this more than anything. I know...I know how Jessica would love that ring. Please...do it as a goodbye gift. Give the ring to Jessica. I think she’d been dying to have it from you.”

“When...” Donghae couldn’t come up with Sunye’s sudden excitement that he fell speechless for minutes. “When...when have you been concerned about Jessica?”

Sunye sighed, grinning. “Heechul told me a secret about her fiancé Onew, the associate editor. Jessica doesn’t deserve to be played like that. Although she seems to be still in love with you. Do me a favor and give her the happiness she truly deserves.”

“Sunye? Are you my Min Sunye? Seriously, who are you?”

Sunye laughed happily. “Aish...don’t be like that. I’m okay with it now. I’m okay. I knew all this time...we could never be. I only did it because...well, you caught me. I love you very much but I could never be Mrs. Lee Donghae. I guess Jessica earns that title more than me.”

As they stared in each other’s eyes, Donghae received Sunye’s unrestricted love for her job, and he knew that he could never account to how thankful he was to her for understanding. He pulled her face to his hands, kissed fully in affectionate gratitude.

“Thank you, Sunye. Thank...thanks,” he whispered to her ear, satisfied.

Sunye was also happy that he took it lightly and not as emotional as what her previous boyfriends did when she left. She repaid Donghae with a strong hug, holding him for the last time.

“I’m sorry,” she muttered. “But this decision was made also for you. Because I know you still love her.”

Donghae sighed heavily before getting up, seeing that the performer stopped singing. He hurriedly neared the stage, gave Ryeowook a salute for a go signal, and requested for a guitar. Because Jessica was a friend of Beige’s during the SMEU days, she was unexpectedly invited, dateless if anyone had noticed it for Onew was a no show that night. Knowing that not everyone would be listening, Donghae exhaled harder---his heart beating in a swift motion upon setting his eyes on the beautiful lady in front of him. Yes, she was just there, awed at him while the girls that surrounded her were busy talking. Her attention was the most important one of all. Tonight, there would be no Sunye, no Onew----just the two of them, waiting for second thoughts and second chances.

It was now or never.

With his arms now on the guitar, he sat in the middle, Ryeowook requesting for the lights to be dimmed and a sole spotlight on the man in the middle. He sat, took the microphone close as he breathed in one more time.

“Good evening,” he greeted, his hyungs clapping for his bravery. “I would like to congratulate my friend Ryeowook for finding the woman he wants to be with for the rest of his life. This song is pretty famous before, and I’m going to sing it for everyone to hear, okay? So...here goes nothing... This is Here I am.”

Jessica was now attracted to him playing the instrument, strumming the guitar with grace and charm. His eyes, the deep cuts on the ends caused Sica’s heart to glow in pureness, in nostalgia.

“Here I am,” he started, the audience clapping at the smooth voice.

“Playing with those memories again, just when I thought time had set me free...” Donghae strummed efficiently, focused on the message. “Those thoughts of you keep taunting me.”

He remembered her wearing her university uniform, sometimes forgetting to wear her tie. He remembered her laugh---the innocent chuckle that made him smile. He recalled how she gets angry, her face all curled up into seductive cuteness. He remembered Jessica’s feisty personality---her self covered in sugary sweetness, yet she showed it when she really was pissed off. She was never fake on him, always teasing him and making faces. That was SMEU Jessica---blonde, slow, and much to his surprise playful.

As they grew apart, he saw another side of her: serious, polite, yet still honest and frank. She remained chill yet tempered, cold yet steamy. Aside from all that, Jessica managed to be a woman he had not seen before. She thought more maturely and more kindly; more compassionate now as a doctor than a student herself. That was Dr. Jung Sooyeon---patient, understanding and sensitive not only for herself but for others.

She stared in longing. “Holding you, a feeling I never outgrew. Though each and every part of me has tried, only you can fill that space inside...”

“Go on Jessica,” whispered Taeyeon, pushing her elbows to move it or lose it. She gazed back at the unnie, shaking her head.

“I’d rather smoke than go up there,” she answered, blushing.

Taeyeon scowled teasingly. “You never liked cigarettes, darling. But you loved Donghae-sshi. The man’s confessing. Just...go there.”

“So there’s no sense pretending, my heart is not mending,” he sang with ease and competence. “Just when I thought I was over you. Just when I thought I could stand on my own. Oh baby, those memories come crashing through and I just can’t...”

“Sica-ah! Go there now!” complained Tiffany, pushing her off her seat. Weak ankles to blame once more, Jessica tripped, falling on the floor. She couldn’t get up easily, but she heard the plucking stop, hearing a couple of footsteps approach her. She stared at the rugged rubber shoes, more or less spiked down with lose untied shoelaces.

She looked up lazily, gawking at the angel reaching his hand out to her. “Are you all right?”

“Shoelaces untied, Dr. Lee,” Jessica stated, holding his hand out to make her get up. She dusted her skirt first, blushing as she did, apologizing then after for interrupting. Donghae also stared at his shoes, laughing.

“I’m not Dr. Lee here, Jessica,” Donghae replied impassively.

Jessica was crabby inside, annoyed already. “Well, I’m sorry for interrupting. You may continue singing.”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged, holding the guitar by its arm. “I don’t feel like doing so. I think my girl understood my message already.”

She nodded with matching eyelids that flutter in understanding. “I see. Is Sunye-unnie around? Where is she?”

Donghae laughed, unable to control himself from doing so. “Shall we...talk outside? Take a walk around the garden? Ryeowook highly recommends it.”

Jessica sighed, whispering, “Yes, we should. People are thinking we’re a couple, Dr. Lee.”

“Weren’t we once, Dr. Jung?” he told her, Sica jokingly punching his arm as they walked out together.

“Hyung’s so weak,” Kyuhyun groaned, the men teasing him already.

“Oh, let’s see you do it,” Yesung cried, already drunk. It would seem he had always been drunk ever since the other week, his eyes barely open anymore and his words were usually senseless. And at times, he just seemed to fall asleep in tables during meetings.

Kyuhyun glowered at Yesung who was doing his best to keep his head up. “What’s up with him?” Kyuhyun whispered to Sungmin who was shaking his head.

“Aish, Jinhye told me everything,” Sungmin replied. “Yesung and Choonhee are planning for a divorce. She’s going to file lawsuits after giving birth so that her rights will be more practiced. She moved out of the house, so the school closed. And...and Yesung’s been drinking.”

Kyuhyun snapped his fingers in front of Yesung. “Oi, I never turned into a lunatic drunkard when Seohyun and I broke up.”

Leeteuk put his hand down, sighing. “It’s no use. Yesung’s suffering right now.”

“Oh well,” Kyuhyun responded, getting up. “You won’t hear me sing, then.”

The boys howled in unison, applause surr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter