Chapter 24

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 24: “If I could only say, I’m holding every breath for you- Taylor Swift”

-o0o-

It was a quarter to six when Shira’s heartbeat finally coursed back to normal. Thanks to Heechul’s submission, Shira survived the accident with 70 stitches on the head and a fractured leg. Overall, Donghae was proud of the success, along with the other surgeons around who had worked their hardest to put Shira’s blood to average. He got out of the room, Sohee and Heechul staring at Donghae in inquiry---hoping that it was a success. His smile exposed the result, so Sohee squealed in joy, hugging Heenim fervently as she jumped up and down.

Heechul kissed the woman’s head, also proud of her for being brave. “Can we see the girl?”

He shook their hands in encouragement. “She’s still asleep. So...it’s best to keep quiet.”

Sohee couldn’t keep in her joy that she hugged him in gratitude. “Omo! Thank you so much, Donghae-oppa! Thank you so much!”

Just as the couple were about to enter room 389, a turn of commotion made all of their heads turn as a young woman came rushing in, tirelessly struggling to locate her patient.

She bumped into Sohee, who greeted the girl. She appeared very young, about 17 years of age with long legs and very pleasing height. Sohee bowed her head in apology, the girl also doing the same. She stared passed them, looking at the door and smiling.

“Is this Ms. Kim Shira’s room?” she asked them, all three nodding. She grinned at them. “I am Soojin, the child’s older sister.”

Heechul’s eyes widened, putting a hand over his mouth. He fell to his knees, head down, his hands trembling. “Forgive me, Ms. Soojin. I caused the accident.”

Soojin laughed as if it wasn’t a bother. “Please sir. She gets in to trouble all the time. It’s true this is the worst she earned so far. I’ve been irresponsible. She’s just 6. She lives with me in an orphanage; every day I go to work in a restaurant, saving every won I earn the time we both leave.”

“Aren’t you too young for work?” Sohee wondered. “Or...aren’t you too old to stay in an orphanage?”

“How old are you?” Heechul got up, rubbed his knees.

“I’m 27,” she confessed, blushing, Sohee’s expectations exceeding. “My sister could almost be my daughter. But she’s not. I stay with my friend. She owns the orphanage and agrees that I stay with them.  I do kitchen duty at the orphanage oftentimes. Our mother died shortly after our father did. We had been for each other since then. Don’t worry, sir. I brought enough of our savings to pay the bill, although...I’m not sure we would still have anything to eat for tonight.”

Sohee shook her head, beaming. “No, that’s...that’s not necessary, dear.”

Donghae nodded, smiling at Soojin in compassion. “Well...your sister’s feeling better. You may see her now.”

Soojin paused, taking notice at the doctor. He had clear brown eyes; very considerate smile that made the girl’s heart beat endlessly. She neared him, touched his face in curiosity, mouth gaping in amazement. Donghae started chuckling as she continued touching his face, pulling his cheeks afterwards.

“Omo! You...you’re so handsome!” Soojin commented. “Where have you been all my life?”

Donghae blushed, able to lower his head hastily. “Thank you, Ms. Soojin. Ah...I’ve been in Incheon.”

“Do you have a girlfriend?” she asked, eyes focused on Donghae. Still laughing, he moved her hands awkwardly, looking at Heechul and Sohee chuckling silently. Knowing that he owed the doctor, Heechul did the honors of calming Soojin down---taking the girl out of Donghae’s way.

“Okay,” Heenim said, pulling Soojin. “I think you should go and check Shira.”

Soojin nodded, batting her eyelids at Donghae who hurriedly bowed his head and excused himself. “Oppa, do you have a girlfriend?” she shouted in the hall, the other nurses swiftly like wild fire snickering and gossiping about her attraction towards the engaged surgeon.

“He has apparently,” Sohee answered her, Soojin falling depressed.

“That’s...awful,” the woman told them sadly. “How could he have a girlfriend?”

“Well...” Heenim shrugged, spotting Sica walking across the hall. Abruptly, he pulled the medical technologist, surprising Jessica with all of the commotion. “This is Donghae-sshi’s girlfriend.”

Jessica’s mouth dropped, slapping Heenim’s shoulder. “Heechul-oppa! What are you talking about?”

“Soojin,” Heechul introduced. “I’m sorry, kid. You were too late.”

She crossed her arms, as Chul let go of the Sica. The woman rushed out of view, mortified, with Sohee apologizing for Heechul’s shenanigans. Jessica just nodded and ignored them, proceeding to her station.

“Oh well,” Soojin sighed, holding the door knob. “I hope Shira’s feeling better.”

-o0o-

He stared at his watch, wondering about her if she was still overworking herself again.

Running. The traffic infected the whole streets---no other option except to run quickly to get ahead. Twilight had come around, the whole city falling to darkness, as all other employees leave their offices at this hour. He wasn’t expecting any of the rush hour mania, so now he was running, leaving his car along with Sooyoung his drive in the middle of an unmovable line.

As he reached the hospital, he headed for the front station, wishing that she still hadn’t left.

“Is Dr. Jung still here?” Onew asked, panting as he carried with him a plastic bag.

The woman recognized Lee Jinki at once, put a wide smile, and nodded at the man. “She has been your girlfriend for more than five years and you’re still not able to get her schedule right. Yes, Onew-sshi. Ms. Jung is still in her station. You may go and see her.”

He smiled, thanking the woman. His feet led him to the third floor of the hospital; his heart guided him to which way he had to go, since he had only been to the hospital thrice. He never bothered to visit Sica during her shift. Onew realized that anybody would suspect him to be Jessica’s big brother, never a boyfriend. He hadn’t been just as convincing as he thought he was.

The third floor was barely lighted, only a few nurses in the hallway. He found his way to her section, knocking and entering at once to the door that had ‘Dr. Jessica Jung’ at its front door.

The whole room, white it was and so clear under that bright fluorescent light. He fled to her side, running his fingers across his hair, smiling now in seeing her. He was tired, no doubt, but with when their eyes met, his heart felt inspired. Sica was  just as gorgeous, innocently tucked in her desk, with a coat across herself for some warmth.

Onew showed her the bag he brought and she clapped her hands in joy.

“Omo, you really didn’t have to bring dinner,” Jessica stated. “I was about to order anyway.”

He chuckled, pulling a chair and sitting across her, hurriedly taking out boxes. One by one, Sica stared at the food he prepared, opening one box and then another. One was ramen, hot boiled ramen that scented through her nose. Another was kimchi. And another was rice, with cheese and eggs on top. He even brought unsweetened tofu.

She gaped, tilting her head in surprise. “Oppa, you didn’t have to.”

“It doesn’t end there,” Onew said, taking out another bowl. He even had chopsticks and spoons with him. She started giggling, while he continued beaming at her.

“This all comes for free,” he introduced. “Let’s play a raffle draw. I’ll pick a name and she gets to have three gifts from me.”

She snorted, laughing. “Okay. And by raffle draw...”

“I pick...” he closed his eyes, putting his fingers by his temple, closing his eyes in concentration. “Ah! Ms. Jessica Jung?”

She raised her hand high, waved it happily. “I’m here! I’m here! What gifts do I get?”

He shrugged, giving her bowl of ramen and chopsticks. Pleased with Sica’s expression, Onew couldn’t help but feel like all the miserable pieces of the puzzle were falling in place. Finally, it was his time to show her. It was his time to show her how much her leave meant to him---that it was his from then on until the end of time.

“First,” Onew began, putting a hand on his eyes. He flipped his hand open, his eyes beaming as well at her. “Your first gift is...me!”

Sica swayed her hand on him, as though pushing a fly away. “No! No! That shouldn’t be included!”

“Do you want me to leave?” Onew asked, already standing up, but the doctor pulled his arm back, her smile enchanting him.

“No, please have dinner with me tonight.”

He laughed, getting rice and kimchi, adding some tofu into his bowl. “Well, let’s dig in first before I give you the other two.”

Jessica pouted gingerly. “Aigoo, please give me the other two before I eat.”

He was already eating, because of all the running, and because his tummy begged for kimchi. “Just eat your ramen.”

She nodded anyway, like an obedient child, picking up her chopsticks and gathering up the noodles at her stick. It tasted like chicken, just the way Onew wished every flavor of his food were, her nostalgia making her hungrier for it. It was delicious indeed; Onew was a marvelous cook. She didn’t know how she could live without Onew---her lunch was always prepared by the responsible boyfriend.

She smiled at him as she swallowed. “Thank you, Oppa.”

“Do you like it?” He asked, interested.

Hating it never crossed her mind. “It’s so good, a different taste. What did you put in it? I don’t think I’ve tasted something so good.”

He chuckled. “Cucumber.”

Shocked all of a sudden with that revelation, she stood up, her chair rolling backward, flashing her tongue out and jumping up and down. She glared at Onew menacingly, as he continued chuckling.

She pointed at him, angry. “Oppa! Yah, you know I can’t stand cucumber!” Her voice suddenly bred hatred, and then the language she used wasn’t anymore Korean. “Yuck, how can anyone take cucumber? Why did you put it in? This is disgusting.”

He laughed, noticing that Sooyoung was right about the expression. “You can throw it away if you want.”

She realized what she had done, how insulted Onew must have been after what she said. She knew he must know how much she couldn’t tolerate the vegetable, and he might have thought it was a good idea as a joke. Jessica bowed her head, suddenly silent and calmer than a second ago, getting back on the table. Her guilt was overpowering her quickly than her pride.

“No, that’s not what I meant,” Sica stated infirmly. “I will finish it because you’ve made it.”

Onew sighed profoundly, eyeing Sica. He stood up, swiped her bowl of ramen quickly, and headed for the sink. Jessica blanched as she followed him, scurrying to save the effort he had done for her. Just in time, she seized the bowl from him only causing him the trouble as he struggled to win it from her, Onew actually having it all planned out. At that time, most of the ramen spilled on himself and the rest on the sink.

He started laughing loudly as he fell on the floor, Jessica covering in shock.

“Aigoo! Oppa!” She got down at his level, brushing the noodles from his shirt. Upon closer inspection as she was still fuddled with the accident, beside Onew was something shining under the slow lighting. Noticing it, Sica stopped fussing over him, and now just gazing at the precious thing. Onew followed where her eyes went, finally sensing that she found it because curved open and dropping widely ----her legs falling to the cold floor as well.

He picked it up, sighing and showing the beautiful ring to her. She covered , tears starting to appear at the sides of her eyes. She couldn’t keep her eyes off of it, their silence slowly echoing in her office.

Onew cleared his throat, grinning as he prompted his knee before the two of them. “The second gift. Hmm...oh what were the words I was suppose to say again? Congratulations? Happy Birthday? Condolences?”

She was quiet, now gazing at Onew, only this man in front of her.

“I remember now.” He chuckled, rubbing the side of her face with his free hand. “Sooyeon Jung, will you marry the man who made you eat cucumber without knowing it?”

After a couple of silent seconds, Jessica nodded wearily, tears falling down her cheeks. He wiped them with ease, watching her express all the mixed emotions inside. He didn’t know if they were because she still possessed feelings for Donghae.

“Finally,” she told him contentedly, pulling his head to hers and kissing him wholly on the lips, Onew half-heartedly thankful for Sooyoung’s endless love tips. Somehow, they seemed to work out for him. It had been a long time since the two of them shared such a strong one; her force against him surprised Onew a little. Was she this assertive?

As she let go to breathe, Onew stared back at her eyes, wondering if her feelings weren’t fake. “Wait, what’s...the third gift?”

Onew shrugged, closing in and whispering, “I’ll give it to you tonight, do you like that?”

“Dr. Jung, Kim Shira’s sister asked me to have another blood test and---” The couples eyes fell on the interrupting visitor, Onew hating him even more for disturbing such an important moment. He stared at them, his expression just as unfathomable as his stare, at wonder now at them sitting on the floor, Onew spilled with ramen.

Donghae, being a good boy bowed his head, fixed his glasses quickly that the light reflected his lens to blur---his eyes suddenly hidden from the others.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled impulsively. “Please come to Shira’s room if you’re ready.”

He immediately went outside after those words, whispering idiot repeatedly for interrupting the lovers when they were having dinner or whatever it was that had them caught up in each other on the floor. He didn’t know why his heart slowed down at the sight of Onew holding her like that.

Maybe he should just get used to it, like what Hyukjae once told him. Well, how was his best friend these days? He heard of a new rap just this morning, written by the man himself---and he found the emotions so real. But enough of Hyukjae, while the thoughts of Sica still bothered him. Donghae thought, after all those years of being together, friendship was a not enough solution to his heartbreaking situation, nor was marrying Sunye another applicable choice.

Truth is, his feelings for Sunye had exceeded beyond his normal expectations simply because the woman had never loved someone as dear as Donghae. He knew that, so he knew he could not do anything other than give up Jessica for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter