Chapter 2

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2: “But if the chain is on your door I’d understand- Taylor Swift”

-o0o-

He took the courage of returning, after his family was reunited. Seoul was impossible to leave. It had been eleven years after he left to pursue his career as an actor, and still hoping, be famous with his new handler. Making it to different parts of America (not to mention the whole world) to film for various dramas and movies, Kim Kibum, now back and still looking handsome, was 30 years old. There were already offers of where he would be going, and decided to pick the one that had topped most popularity polls under the best label. WaeGyun or WG was a great company, holding most of its star s to the top. They always look for the best in every aspect of talent in one’s acting.

Kibum entered the skyscraper, walking straight to the information center in the middle of the great hall. He went to the counter as a woman waited.

“How may I help you, sir?” she asked.

“I’m here to see President Yoseon,” he politely answered.

The girl signaled him to take a seat and she would just inform him of where to go. Kibum did what he was told, sitting on the couch. At one chair sat twins anticipating their big break as rookies in the showbiz industry. Beside him was a man clearing his throat all the time, as he quietly sang his lines in preparation for his audition. Now across him was the one that caught his attention the most, reading a book with her legs crossed. She was wearing denim pants and a white blouse. Her hair was a bit shorter than before, for it curled around the edges and it was mousse brown in color. Yet, her facial features were ever as youthful as before, not exceeding beyond her Aphrodite-like image. Her eyes were still as pure and as innocent when she was only 19. Her lips looked rather smooth and alluring that Kibum couldn’t stop himself from staring at her in amazement.

She felt his eyes on her that she gazed up at him, smiling and nodding as a sign of greeting, but no look of familiarity appeared in her eyes, which had Kibum a little sad. She continued reading her book as if nothing happened, holding onto the armrest of the chair as the of the story tensed her.

She couldn’t remember.

How could she remember? It was a long time ago, and she would probably have forgotten about him the following days. If only she could recall the times during rehearsals, during plays on stage, during lunch and during cold sad nights on the phone.

He was simply forgettable, he thought to himself, taking it as sign that maybe they weren’t really meant to be together in the first place. But...they met here, and wouldn’t that also mean a tinge of luck came? Wouldn’t that mean destiny had some surprises in store for them?

Bravely he stood up, deciding to approach her.

“Im YoonA?” called the receptionist at the desk. The girl stood up, closing her book upon hearing her name and approaching the woman. She didn’t even glance at him, how mortifying was this moment. He balled his fist and looked up the ceiling, somewhat asking why in the world was this happening to him. Hastily he followed her, walking behind her more swiftly that as she arrived at the front desk, his hand was already on her shoulder.

She turned to face him, bowing her head in confusion. Kibum looked apologetic, as he too greeted her in reply.

“Yoona?”

The girl nodded, shyly speechless of his approach.

“Don’t you...remember me? Kim Kibum? Your friend in SMEU? Do you remember?” he said, giving her hint points.

At hearing these, she tilted her head, trying to remember college life. Kim Kibum? Yes, such a familiar name it was. Wasn’t he the man...wasn’t he her classmate in her first year at theatre? Yes, that’s right. Her train of thought ventured to the past, reminiscing the good old days----the time she truly shimmered.

“Kibum from Theatre?”

He nodded, grinning at the sudden identification. Finally.

Faintly, she smiled at recognition. “Key?”

But of course, there were two of them who possessed those names; one was his rival in class, in Yoona’s heart. Kibum sighed, depression overthrowing his feelings. He gave her a scowl, unable to control it, and then shaking his head. No, Yoona, try to remember harder.

She gasped suddenly, as his identity entered her mind. Of course, how could she forget him? The flashbacks were flooding to her all at once, the moments they shared, those scripts they read together. She had gotten better in acting all because of him, and she owed him her whole career.

Kibum chuckled, hugging her immediately---Yoona likewise embracing him tightly. “Oppa, I miss you so much,” she whispered. It was a bit long, Kibum anticipating the moment before she let go.

“How have you been?” Yoona asked him excitedly.

He shrugged casually. “Fine, I guess. Been hired to this company recently. And you?”

“Really?” she said, surprised. “That’s cool. We get to work together.”

Excitement filled his whole soul, the big break he had been dreaming.

-o0o-

“We promise to fulfill those,” Sungmin reasoned out, rubbing his throat. His voice must be quivering. On the other hand, was it because he was even more nervous to meet Sunny that evening?

Kyuhyun was already beside him, avoiding their eyes to be tangled with the mean dealers ought to get their company shut down. His mom would surely hate him for this. Near Kyu was his friend Wookie, organizing the said building for Dong Communications. They had wanted to reconstruct their old branch in Busan, which was bought back by Cho-Lee Business Law Firm Incorporated. To make the deal work, Kyuhyun would have to give up the old building if, Dong Communications worked for them. The men agreed, but only if half of what the whole company earned were theirs to own. Sungmin was defending the fact that it wouldn’t be fair on their side since Dong Communications would only mean a few percent of the totality.

“But...we are already under your control,” said a bearded man.

Kyuhyun was already tired of hearing this debate. “Since you are already in our control, there is no need for you to get half of what we have. We will give you only your fair share from Dong Communications.”

“But what is the difference in the interest?” asked the other broker, also annoyed. “The difference is that there is no difference. If we were under your power, we still get our share from the same buyers. If we were on our own, we still get the same number of products sold.”

Sungmin’s face fell serious. “We are giving you back the building if only you work for us. If you still disagree to it, then there wouldn’t be a way to restart your business back on track in Busan.”

With his arms crossed, Kyuhyun again thought of an idea to finally end this. They had been in this conference room for four hours arguing about countless stuff that all turned to one direction. It was already half passed one, and his tummy was complaining.

“Look,” he began his statement, “stay with our company and we will double the interest you get. You won’t get half of what the entire company has, instead only twice what Dong Com earns. Get it? Fair enough? That way everybody wins. We get a new company to work for us, while you get double your initial price. Okay, ing close the deal, I want lunch.”

There was a long pause between the men until they seized the papers from Ryeowook and began signing with pleasing smiles on their faces.  Sungmin and Ryeowook gained a knuckle touch as they congratulated Kyuhyun quietly for his amazing charisma. The men looked up as their faces grew serious at once. All of them stood up, shook hands with each other, and left with pleasing smiles.

-o0o-

“A bunch of idiots,” commented Kyuhyun as he put on his coat.

Sungmin chuckled, taking his briefcase as the two of them locked up the conference hall. “I know, right? What was so hard with the deal? I mean, come on. They already have their building back, and still they’re greedy for more. The building is still somewhat like our---”

“Exactly, hyung,” Kyuhyun smirked, nodding as they walked down the corridor to the parking lot. “It’s still our property. Wookie-sshi would just make a few adjustments according to what they like. After that, they’re working under our label. Under Cho-Lee Firm, the best damn firm in town. Our clients will love us more because of the innovative beginnings Dong Com will open this month. I’m...excited.”

“So it wasn’t fair,” Sungmin stated blankly, Kyuhyun opening his own black Jaguar. The other man heard him say this, so he let a weak titter.

“It’s called being in control, hyung,” Kyuhyun remarked. “Let’s take my car for lunch. You don’t mind, right?”

Sungmin nodded, getting in on the front seat as Kyuhyun started the ignition. Both men fastened their seatbelts, as they drove out of the vicinity and into the open road. Well, it was nearly two in the afternoon; it wouldn’t be a wonder if the roads were deserted by now.

“So...how are you and Sunny lately?” asked Kyuhyun, spicing up the silence between them.

The man looked up at the road, smiling. “She’s mad because I wasn’t at Jinhye’s recital this morning.”

“Why weren’t you---” Kyuhyun paused and remembered. “Oh yeah, that’s right.”

He shrugged, sighing. “Have you heard of Seohyun lately?”

Sungmin noticed Kyuhyun suddenly stiffening, his grip on the wheel tensed as he stirred it to the right. He was simply still, quiet and focused on the road that this made Sungmin laugh aloud after the calmness he showed.

“That’s the only thing that can make you keep your mouth shut.”

Kyu gave out a feeble smile. “Well...you know. She’s in Incheon, dude. I’m in Busan. That’s practically two cities away, what do you expect?”

“Don’t you two...ever talk?” he asked, a little concerned.

“Talk?” Kyuhyun snarled at the word. “There is no time for talking. I haven’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter