Chapter 12

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 12: “And if you’re missing me, you better keep it to yourself- Taylor Swift”

-o0o-

Favorable access to another fine restaurant, Ryeowook found it the easiest way to party for Beige’s success. That evening he asked her out on a date, nervous yet excited, Wook restlessly preparing for that night. As he got out of his expensive-looking black car, the one that he got free from Kyuhyun, he approached her. Beige seemed to be waiting for him for quite some time now, sitting alone in a park bench outside her apartment. Her hair was tied to a high ponytail again, exposing her incomparable beauty---her eyes glittering as she saw him. Even her cheeks appeared magical in the night.

“I thought you weren’t coming,” Beige told him worriedly.

Wookie bowed his head and shrugged, shoving his fists down his pockets. “I’m sorry. I prefer to be fashionably late. Shall we go now? We should have gone out yesterday if it weren’t for my busy schedule.”

“It’s okay,” she inserted her arm around his. “Where are we going tonight?”

“Just fine dining,” he said. “I hope you don’t mind that it’s all I could afford now. It’s not payday yet.”

“Aish! It doesn’t matter,” Beige replied. “As long as I’m with you tonight, I’ll be the happiest girl in the world.”

Ryeowook felt like he had never even been thirty. It was then that he caught himself blushing at her comment, hiding in the shadows as he drove towards the restaurant. He couldn’t easily ignore what she just said, that all the way to the restaurant, he was thinking of Beige and her paintings. He went back to the times when their friendship blossomed. He was indeed very lucky to have her as a close friend.

Little did he know, she was thinking of the same thing at that time, thrilled and excited. The last time she had that yearn of being with Wook was 9 years ago, but...the feeling reappeared after years of attempt to disregard. It was such an ecstatic sensation, a dream she had wanted to feel all her life, the way her whole heart pulsate faster than the passage of time. This...his pale face as same and as handsome as before, lighted by the road’s street lamps---it felt so amazing to be seeing him once again, going out and having fun together. The night was theirs to own, she just guessed.

“You don’t mind if the manager of the restaurant eats with us, right?” Ryeowook asked suddenly, Beige’s thinking snapping back to reality. She found it rather annoying that he caught her dazed in one of those daydreams.

She nodded gleefully. “Yes, most definitely.”

“The restaurant was reserved for the night, only for the two of us. Are you all right with that?”

Beige gawked at the statement, giggling. “How can I not be all right with that? Wookie-sshi, this...this...is too much. I mean...I’m not really...you’re spending a lot all because of...my job. It’s...not really a big thing to celebrate about.”

“Are you saying I’m being a complete fool of myself and it is impossible for you to appreciate this stuff I’m doing for you?” Ryeowook wondered, chuckling loudly after asking.

She shyly bit her lower lip, looking now outside the night sky. “It’s not that. It’s just that...you’ve done so much for me. I haven’t repaid you with anything.”

He pulled on the brakes carefully, parking the car at a corner of drug store. He couldn’t help himself from smiling as he took her hand into his, her whole face evolving into a big red tomato. Her heart pumped hoarsely, impatiently wanting more than just a simple hand-in-hand hold stuff. It was practically elementary---they should have gone this stage a long time before.

“You repaid me with the friendship, the canvas...everything...” Ryeowook mumbled, unable to look at her straight in the eye. “I don’t even know if what I’m doing counts as paying you. I’m more than indebt to you. If slavery still exists, I bet I would be one of your slaves.”

Her blush was nonetheless obvious even in the dark. “Aigoo, this is more than enough. Thank...thanks, Wookie-sshi.”

“Are you hungry?” questioned Ryeowook, still not letting go of her hand. He observed how silent she suddenly became, seated across him with eyes still dreamily wandering. “You look red. Are you sick?”

She shook her head, quickly evading his hand. Her hands felt hot, burning that she hid them from his sight at once. “Yes, I’m...just hungry. We should eat. Don’t mind me. I applied the make-up that gets redder when the night gets longer. So...please don’t mind me.”

That excuse seemed to work perfectly. Wook understood, believing whatever it was. “You should have read the label. Maybe you’re allergic to it.”

“I really should avoid getting in contact with things that make me...blush so hard,” Beige joked literally, as she sighed, the car moving now around the bent. He would not suspect anything about it though; she just knew he would be slower to make reservations about her emotions. Wookie made her blush so hard.

Arriving at the destination, the two walked towards the entrance. She raised her head to read the name of the restaurant. Happiness? Indeed, by the sound of the name, she giggled agreeably. It was going to be a happy night. The doors were closed when they stepped towards it, but at once, opened when Wookie showed his ID. She smiled at him proudly, everything turning out all right.

“I did tell you that...the manager’s going to dine with us,” Wook whispered as they were ushered towards their special table.

Beige agreed thinly. “As long as I’m with you, I’ll be happy.”

After being escorted to the glimmering room, Beige wished to have taken back those words. At the far end was their reserved table, with a woman (her back on them) was sitting. Beige did not expect that manager to be a ‘she’. Ryeowook was the first to approach her, clearing his throat to indicate that they had arrived.

Beige’s heart sunk, the sulky feeling of jealousy streaming to her from the very days of her first year in SMEU. What was it, why did she suddenly lose a battle she almost won a while ago? Crippling tightly, the impression of being used stormed to her head, but she cautiously shook it out, trusting that Ryeowook had plans. But...the manager was gorgeous, with her hazel brown hair flowing two inches down her shoulders. He greeted her with a pleasing smile, and then a hug, laughter following this. Closely from afar, she watched, as the two enjoyed each other’s company. She was left on the side, ignored, neglected, and unnoticed. It made her think knowingly of whose date it was in the first place.

With her head down, she hadn’t noticed how swiftly Wookie’s hands were already on her shoulder, shoving her to sit with the two of them. Eyes nearly breaking down, Beige reluctantly decided to just let the night pass as if it was nothing at all. Ryeowook sat next to her, Beige still shocked why. The other woman, whom appeared with familiarity, made Beige uneasy. She stared at her, as the manager smiled encouragingly.

Ryeowook once again cleared his throat, his lips awkwardly. “You must know her, right?”

Beige wasn’t sure whom he was referring to by now, but no one seemed to be talking. She lifted her eyes towards him in wonder, and then to the other girl.

 She simply shrugged. “I’m sorry. My memory’s not that good.”

“That’s all right,” Wook answered her. “Beige, I would like you to meet---or that is recall---Luna.”

Luna, Beige sadly remembered with anxiety. But of course.

-o0o-

She was practically nervous about the scene. Though she had been shooting with her sunbaes all day, she was insecure with Kibum the most, for it would seem he took everything so seriously. She was scared, that if she made a single mistake, Kibum would freak out. That if she caused trouble, he’d scold her and would regret ever working with her at all. Yeeun was praying nothing like that would ever happen on the set.

“Are you tired?” Yoona asked, who was beside her during their make-up session. It was already past nine, and the bags under their eyes were starting to grow. Yeeun’s stylist was tying her hair tightly, while Yoona was veiled with thick elegant shadows around her eyes.

Yeeun noticed this at once, a bit bothered. She had accepted Yoona’s change of attire during rehearsals, from loose polo shirts to fitting blouses that exposed her bosoms. The younger girl knew very well that it was all part of her character in the story...but, somehow, she appeared truly like the one she portrayed---rude, mean, and easily irritated. Yoon wasn’t anymore the sunbae she knew.

“Unnie...” Yeeun whispered, hoping that the artists wouldn’t hear them. “You hate being girly. I think the question’s for you. Are you tired?”

She snorted loudly, surprising little Yeeun with the personality switch. Yoona stared at the mirror, fluffing her hair as the woman behind her left with sigh, probably annoyed with the she had to deal through the whole shoot. She made cute faces, puffing her cheeks and afterwards, smiling brightly. Almost at once, Yoona’s fatigue showed as she slouched back, frowning undeniably with a rather heavy sigh before turning to Yeeun.

“Tell me about it,” Yoona mumbled, closing her eyes.

Yeeun inhaled inwardly. Thankful enough, she was so happy that Yoona hadn’t been like those actors that put stardom first before anything else.

“Maybe...you should ask Eeteuk-oppa to let you go home---”

“And what? Be scolded the next day?” Yoona couldn’t help but show how irritated she was for shooting all day. She saw how Yeeun flinched at her expression. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be like that.”

Yeeun understood, getting up when they heard the director’s call. She gave Yoona a charming smile, holding her hand out to help her. “It’s okay. Oppa promised two more scenes and we get to go home.”

“I know,” Yoona nodded, standing up as well and following the other characters to the set.

-o0o-

Beige remained silent as the other two talked spiritedly---about this and that, about before and now. She kept on staring at her own food, unable to take a bite of the delicious salad specially prepared for the two of them. Although she was the one asked out, she thought miserably, the date seemed to be exclusively for Ryeowook and Luna alone. She was just another tag-along-friend, additional decorations to make the night more...boring, as she would put it.

“How’s the food, Beige?” Luna wondered, now glancing at her.

Beige smiled, nodding her head as she picked up a fork. “It’s wonderful.”

Luna left her to her musings, going back to her conversation with Wookie. Beige bit her lower lip, her head down, as she continued to stare at the food. What was the point? Occasionally if they would include her to their talk, it was about something else---the light, the food, her job, his job...the list was seemingly endless, but none of them had meaning.

The woman across them finally stood up. “I really must go, now. It was nice meeting you, Beige. I’m sorry for taking Ryeowook’s time. You see, we don’t see each other nowadays. Anyway, good luck with the new job. I hope Kyuhyun-sshi doesn’t make it too hard for you.”

Beige tilted her head in confusion, as Luna held her hand out for her to shake. Beige, being lively in nature, shook it feebly, happy that the third party was finally leaving. Ryeowook chuckled to himself, before putting an arm over Beige, shocking the girl. She looked at how his hand rested there, as he let out a sigh.

“Kyuhyun won’t be like that to her,” Wookie responded, now glancing at the uncomfortable Beige. “She has me. I’ll make sure she won’t be treated harshly.”

Beige’s face was remarkably getting redder, that even Luna started giggling. She patted Beige’s shoulder, while whispering, “It’s a good thing Wookie-sshi can’t detect that.”

“You two take care for the night, okay?” Luna bid her goodbyes, her hand sill on Beige. “Wookie-sshi, go easy on Beige, tonight. She’s younger than me, you know.”

She turned to Ryeowook who was curiously wondering what Luna said. With bearing, Luna bowed her head, leaving them officially alone. Before she knew it, Ryeowook’s hands were caressing her pink-stained cheek, rubbing the red part again.

“I think it’s a rash,” Wook concluded, still it. “You’re allergic to that makeup. You look like you’re blushing even more. You should see a dermatologist to have it---”

She moved away instantly, frightened that if he kept on doing what he was doing, it would lead to another dangerous thing, and that maybe something she would regret for the rest of her life. With discomfort, she pushed his hand away, turbulent emotions gathering inside of her.

“What’s wrong? Did it hurt?” His innocence drove her mad, something she wished she could stop liking.

She shook her head, fanning herself with her hands as she looked up at the ceiling in hopes of controlling the fast pacing of her heart. “No, no. I’m all right. It’s okay. It’s normal. My cheek does that all the time.”

“Wow, and I didn’t know,” Wookie was marveled. He considered himself as a friend of hers and he still didn’t even know of her rarity?

Beige nodded encouragingly, knowing that she had calmed dow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter