Chapter 21

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 21: “When I left I wanted you to chase after me- Taylor Swift”

-o0o-

Hazily her vision matured better, the view of the flight attendant at the front made her realize how fast time flew when she was asleep. She could hear mutters about their arrival in Busan in a couple of minutes, so Seohyun quickly fixed her hair and hurriedly arranged her bags. Jiyoung’s flight was until that afternoon, so she was ahead of her. If only she knew where to go, she wouldn’t have to take a few glances at a tourist’s map.

Seohyun, with Sijoong asleep in her arms, looked outside, seeing the city below. It was so large, skyscrapers so high and building abound the metropolis. She was praying, may the Lord grant her wishes, that she and Kyuhyun would not cross paths with each other for the whole month. She wished to avoid him at all cost.

And where would she be staying? It was impossible to book reservations on hotels and apartments were much too inappropriate. She knew it was impossible to ask her Sunny-unnie for some extra-room, maybe house for her stay, because they only had two rooms in their whole house. Jinhye, the little troublemaker, would not like to have a roommate.

She had a lot on her mind, unable to notice the snoozing woman sitting beside her. When the engine stopped, Seohyun knew she had to wake her up. So, slowly as the other passengers fussed over their luggage, the girl nudge her seatmate, the other woman waking up abruptly.

She didn’t recognized Seohyun, but she bowed her head as soon as she got up. “I’m sorry. Thank you for waking me up.”

“It was nothing,” Seohyun said, carrying Sijoong still in her arms, his head now on her shoulder, and mind still in dreamland.

The woman fussed over her cell phone, receiving many calls from probably her friend, as quickly she heaved down her bag off the case. While she moved, she gazed at Seohyun with a smile, again lowering her head in gratitude before she finally had her back the mother and her child.

Kyuhyun, sitting impatiently at the waiting area, stared at his watch, anxiously wondering whom the surprise director his mother had wanted him to meet. The crowd was thickening, as he heard the announcer say the plane from Incheon has arrived---flight P2637KA landed now at the airport. He sighed. His mother initially justified last night that exact characters he had to remember, and this was it. Fat ones, skinny ones, old and young---not one seemed to recognize him as he waved his little flag that said CHO MARKETING BUSINESS LAW FIRM INC.

Nobody seemed to mind him there so lonely, observing how families were reunited, couples kissing in the middle of their meeting, children laughing to see their grandparents; and then he thought, what a waste of time. He sighed impatiently to express his boredom.

“Kyuhyun-sshi.”

He located the voice, following it amidst the other people coming out of the departure area. A very familiar face, the young lawyer laughing aloud at the coincidence to meet the young lady once again---unknowing now if his mother really had planned for this to happen. Or was it someone far too powerful only we can talk to in prayers?

“So, you saw the sign?” he asked, as the woman continued grinning at him.

She took the flag from his hands, waving it. “How can anyone miss this crazy old thing? You wrote it yourself, I presume?”

He nodded, smiling. “You can recognize my penmanship.”

“I’ve known you far too long not to, Kyuhyun-sshi,” she stated. “Did you miss me? Didn’t take too long, did I?”

“You’re not that miss-able,” he held out his hand to show how long he waited, shaking his head. “I’ve been waiting for an hour here, Haelee. I still can’t believe you’re going to be my assistant director.”

“Come here you ty excuse of a man,” Haelee opened her arms wide, letting go of her bag. She neared him, hugging him so strongly that it felt warm to feel his heartbeat near her. Kyuhyun was shocked at her sudden show of affection, but in the least, he found it amusing. He looked at her with confusion, but he knew that the poor girl must have had quite a journey. He patted her head like a big brother, gladly exchanging her embrace with a hug as well. Kyuhyun returned the gesture, feeling as though he had never done this to any other girl except for Seohyun. His very own mother never received such grace---Haelee seemed to be the first that granted him to actually make a move on a girl.

Seohyun, unable to comprehend the buzzing tonality she had never known to hear, fiddled with text messaging Sunny, to let her know she and Sijoong had arrived without anyone to pick them up. After sending it, she sat on the nearest bench, tired of tugging her bags behind, other arm carrying the boy. She placed the baby next to her, so that she could finally breathe in more oxygen than earlier.

And just as quickly, when she turned left, she saw someone from the past again, the same ghost that wished to haunt her. He was thinner, surely even paler, tall still and very handsome. His eyes were just as limitless as the sky, rather darker. Just as handsome Kyuhyun was every time he talked.

Now...as she could make out Kyuhyun even away, conceited smile forming, he hugged a woman, about 5’6 tall, hair straightened nearly two inches below her shoulders. The clothes, they appeared naturally identifiable...

Wasn’t the girl her seatmate earlier?

-o0o-

She could feel her breathe quiver, despite the heat of the morning, as she walked towards Ryeowook’s apartment at uptown of Busan. Her pumps were killer to her heels; her toes were squished in a rather uncomfortable matter. Her coat was extensively making her feel hot, and her skirt, a little too small.

She stared at her watch, passed eight already. He could have left his apartment. She needed help, because of that stupid broken car. She rang the doorbell, two to three times, impatiently wondering if he was still home.

To her surprise he was, Wookie answering still in his pajamas with a cup of coffee in his hands. He smiled at her, gazing from head to toe, noticing that she was doing the same as well. She laughed, bowing her head for the interruption.

“I’m sorry,” she told him, still grinning.

Ryeowook opened his door wider, requesting her to come in. “It’s absolutely okay, Luna. What can I do for you?”

“I was wondering if you could help me with my car,” Luna stated, sitting comfortably on his couch. Ryeowook shrugged, also sitting next to her. His apartment was very much what to expect from an architect. There were inner columns, circular in form, supporting the beams above, a bunch of wood tiles for his ceiling. Weird enough, though Luna knew the location of his place, she never really bothered seeing the whole interior design. The seats were very attractive, soft and squishy as Luna would define it.

“Wookie-sshi! Why aren’t you off to work yet?” Luna asked in wonder, realizing now that he was actually late for work.

Ryeowook smiled and placed an arm over her. “Aigoo, I don’t know. I just feel too tired. I’m staying home today. And I sensed you were coming.”

She giggled. “Yah! You and your senses are crazy. Wookie-sshi, can you help me with my car? I need to get to the office by ten, though.”

“I’ll just wash the dishes. Won’t take much long. Just about ten minutes,” He agreed, standing up and finishing his tea. “Why don’t you...er, read something there or...er, clear my table.”

Ryeowook, his back turned, instructed her when he went to the kitchen, heading for the piled dirty work he had to do first before helping his friend Luna.

The girl, understanding him, waited in the living room, taking out her cell phone and running her finger to Twitter once again. Her update went from a smiley to a frown, typing in, ‘Broken Car’. She placed her phone on the table, prompted with rolled floor plans and building layouts Wookie must have been reading before she arrived. She smiled, feeling pity for the guy, so she cheerfully rolled each one, knowing that they would get dirty later on if she just left them as that. The fifth one, also the last lax blueprint, was the biggest surprise of all. When she picked all five rolls, under the paper was a 20 x 12-canvas board, lying right side up. It was a picture of the open night sea, as she remembered from their reunion, the Korean Bay, a view drawn from oil and charcoal. The scenery was peaceful, dark heavy at the sides to emphasize the nighttime feel. At once, Luna felt cold seeing it, but also, finding the moon so light, she grew warmer. At the end was a faint signature of the artist, Luna still couldn’t be so sure if the work was made by Wookie.

His birthday was a week ago, so she assumed that Beige made it for him. Luna smiled, suddenly touched at the present. She turned it upside down. A golden ring hung at a lopsidedly made tie, obviously handmade by Wookie himself. Behind the ring was a pink sticky note, with his handwriting.

‘Would you marry me?’

Luna couldn’t control her gasp, seeing the proposal from him so fast that it suddenly impressed her. She grinned, sighing at the silly Ryeowook who had to do all of this.

“Wookie-ah!” she called, making sure of the proposal. Maybe she was just dreaming, Luna couldn’t quite be so sure of which was real now. She fanned herself with excitement, biting her lips, her heart sweetly admiring his efforts. He never declared their relationship---she wasn’t anymore sure if he still looked at her in that manner. She thought...the months or years they hadn’t been together, did it actually end with a wedding proposal?

Ryeowook dashed in at once, flushing red when he realized Luna had seen the surprise. He shook his head, taking the painting out of her hands as she playfully pulled it back. Annoyed, Ryeowook stopped playing, Luna tumbling back to her seat. He glared at her, his face completely red, fists already balled up.

“Don’t make fun of it!” Wookie stated, crossing his arms over his chest. “Beige would think it’s silly, too...but I think it’s a big surprise for her. I want to see that look on her face once she says yes. My parents finally decided that I should be engaged at this age.”

Luna looked up, as if expecting the proposal for her. “Pardon?”

“I’m asking Beige to marry me tomorrow,” he confessed, sighing, Luna’s smile expressing falsehood.  Suddenly, the memory of her college life rushed to her, the moments they shared just before graduation, just before the time Ryeowook admitted that he couldn’t anymore be her boyfriend.

The whole scene was roughly remembered, the honor roll being called then. They were seated according to their courses, and she found him on the opposite side, shuffling his feet in discomfort. Luna could see his hands playing on its own, his nervous lip-biting session as the next-in line hyung Cho Kyuhyun walked up the stage to receive his diploma. It would seem he topped Accountancy amongst others, and he made an oath of heading to Incheon Law School to precede his parents’ dreams.  But to Luna, he wasn’t any of her concern. Ryeowook was now the object of her admiration---for the next day they were free to do whatever they pleased, because college was over. They were finally graduating. After that, it was finished. He did call last night that he had something to tell little Luna.

With a wide grin on her face, Luna was caught staring at him, Ryeowook facing her with a weary smile. He waved back, telling her he how excited he was. She giggled lightly at this, until the ceremony was over. She immediately got up and approached Ryeowook with enthusiasm over the surprise he had in store.

With his back turned, Luna crouched behind and covered his eyes with her two hands, the man trying to shake it off. She was laughing that Ryeowook made a guess.

“Luna, this isn’t funny!” She released him, still chuckling at the incident.

He bowed his head upon seeing her, and with that, a frown crawled to Wookie’s face. She halted from laughing, as he swung a backpack over his shoulders. He cleared his throat, staring at her in confusion.

“I have something to tell you,” he told her, Luna smiling and nodding.

“Yes, you said it’s something important.”

He sat down on his chair, the rest of his friends moving along the crowd and going away. He waited until the others were farther, waiting until a few remained and it was just the two of them in earshot clearance. Ryeowook managed to take her hand into his, holding it very firmly.

“I believe this will be goodbye,” he just admitted, unable to look at her straight in the eye. Luna, also knowing that this would also be an end, stared back at the open to the rest of the leaving graduate students. From afar, she could see Kyuhyun and Seohyun, hugging each other for successfully achieving the end of their education life. She couldn’t help but feel like her love story with Wookie would not be as happy as the double Hyun’s would.

She grinned, tilting her head to other side. “Why, Wookie-sshi?”

He found it impossible to talk to Luna when she acted so unaffected, as though the hurt had not yet sunk in that she continued to give him the warmest smile. Luna, who he knew as very kind and cheery, was again lengthening her emotions to hide how she truly felt over the matter.

“Because...I think we just would not be able to work out this relationship,” Ryeowook explained, Luna nodded. She shook his hand vigorously, surprising him with her considerate state.

She freed his hand, and she stood up, bowing her head before him. “I’m sorry for...for everything. For not being the one you’re really looking for.”

“Luna, it’s not your fault,” Wookie exclaimed, in hopes that he hadn’t insulted her.

She her lips, because she felt like she was lacking saliva. Her faulty smile was exposed, but Luna did her best, practiced for this perhaps, that she was an expert at looking as positive as ever---despite the fact that it still hurts. “Aigoo, I know it is. I understand, Wookie-sshi. Have a nice summer. I have to get back to Daegu, though. My parents are expecting good news. Thank you, though.”

“Thank you for being a wonderful friend, Luna-sshi,” Ryeowook stated when she started her way. “Thanks.”

As she walked away, she wanted Ryeowook tell her he was joking, to tell her that it was all a dream. She would wake up any second now. But she couldn’t. There was no Ryeowook to chase after her. No Ryeowook that would be willing to start all over again. She wanted him to follow her, take her hand, spin her around and in the end hug her tightly and say marry me, Luna.

But then again, she was wrong.

Just like before an adorable smile was splashed unto her gorgeous face, dimples showing at the sides. “You met her a few months ago, perhaps just three months ago, and then...you ask her to marry you. That’s...charming.”

“I love her, you see.” But indeed, Ryeowook was hurting Luna deep inside, the pain of pretends had downed her esteem to the lowest. She couldn’t take much of it. He loves her, for only a few months.

Yet before...back then...during their days in college, he told her he loved Luna and their relationship lasted for nearly 3 years, more than what he and Beige had now. But he never attempted to show signs of being attached in terms of marriage.

“I really thought that...” she discontinued her statement, realizing that it was going against her own will. She shouldn’t be confessing, not to the man especially. She ought to keep shut in the least---not to ruin poor Beige’s beautiful day.

“There’s a reason why we saw each other again,” Ryeowook chirped happily. “It’s like...it was meant to be. I won’t let this opportunity slip just like how I lost her before. I won’t make that mistake again.”

Luna stood up, nodding with her fake grin, her eyes almost curving as well. “Exactly! Wookie-sshi, fighting!”

“You can keep that secret¸ right?” he wondered, eyeing her. She crossed her fingers, tongue out, even having her legs crossed.

“Of course, I can! I’m not a blabbermouth,” Luna answered, although that was untrue. When it came to Luna, whatever came about in the city, it’d be reported on the other side of the world. Because Luna worked like that.

“Shall I go on and fix your car now?” Ryeowook asked her, Luna so absorbed with the proposal that she remained quiet, although agreeing and nodding at Wookie’s suggestion.

“I hope you take good care of Ms. Jinsun,” Luna reminded him, following him outside. For now, that was the best solution to her doubts, the best passage to warm Wook’s heart. From then on, it would never be the same---the way she could look at Ryeowook for hours talking, and laugh about it all night as if she was a little high school girl falling madly in love with the dorkiest guy in the planet.

Somehow, though her feelings for Ryeowook were inactive, Luna’s heart was awakened by the proposal---the proposal supposedly meant for her. Almost for Luna, but...indeed, possibly Ryeowook was never hers in the first place.

-o0o-

Im Yoon Ah dating Kim Kibum

Im Yoon Ah, pregnant at 30

Im Yoon Ah lose Best Female Actress Award

Im Yoon Ah: Mina for real

Im Yoon Ah anti’s aim WG Company

Drama All For You hit; Yeeun’s big break

These were just a few of what Yoona saw in the newsstands showed to her by her manager, in front of the director of All For You and his wife. Of course, it was all part of celebrity life, losing and gaining some articles. She realized how hated she was for the role Mina, and how loved Yeeun was by the public.

Her cell phone rang suddenly, Yoona answering it in the flash. To her surprise, it was on one of her dearest unnies.

“Are you pregnant, darling?” came in Yuri’s voice, worried.

She rolled her eyes,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter