Chapter 28

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 28: “I wanna feel you by my side, standing next to me- Taylor Swift”

-o0o-

“I want to learn the violin,” he told her that first afternoon.

She was already known in the whole Seoul Marshall Elite University as the daughter of the greatest modern composer ever since she entered the school. Pressure it was that brought her to be better than her own professors and thus, they wanted her to teach violin in her free time as an elective to the other students. Envied, Ahn Choonhee exceeded more than what others thought she could do.

In her second year, a boy walked up and asked for her help. He was taller than she was---well, she wasn’t exactly the one who had much in her height. Her eyes went up to stare into his, soft and so deep. He had dark brown hair, bushy that it almost covered his eyes.

With her other hand holding her precious violin, she smiled in greeting, holding her right out. “I’m Ahn Choonhee. I’m a music student, major in violin.”

He shook her hand. “I know who you are.”

“And your name?” she asked.

“Kim Jongwoon or Yesung ,” he answered timidly. “I’m a music student too, a major in voice. But I want to take up violin classes.”

“What year are you in? I...I haven’t seen you...in most music students gathering,” Choonhee answered, smiling in delight when he told her about his course. “I’m in my second year.”

“I know,” Yesung answered. “I am too. But we don’t take up the same classes since I’m in a different major.”

She nodded. “Okay. Do you have a violin now?”

“What?” he looked surprised. “I just came here to learn violin.”

Choonheee giggled. “Well, how are you suppose to learn without a violin?”

“You provide me with the instrument,” Yesung answered, Choonhee laughing harder than the last reply. “You’re holding one now.”

“You must buy yourself a violin sooner or later, okay?” she suggested, going to the cabinets. She picked out one from there, giving it to the man. He held it and gazed at its exotic style.

“This is rather old,” he remarked, checking the tag name inside and examining the strings. “Almost a a century. The strings...” he plucked each one. “They’re sturdy. A bit...out of tune”

Choonhee just smiled, nodding. “Wow, how very accurate. Yes...it is rather old. That’s why you should buy your own instrument in our next meeting. Right now...we’ll learn the basics.”

“I already know the basics,” Yesung confessed and Choonhee’s eyes widened in shock.

She placed her hands on her hips. “Then what are you doing here?”

“To learn violin? I need enough credit to take another elective next year,” Yesung answered.

Choonhee scowled. “I really don’t have to teach you. If you’re just after the credit, go to a real music teacher. I’m only here to teach those who are...totally clueless of the violin. I really don’t give the grade. I just teach them so that they’ll do better when they really take up the class with the other professors.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m after both the credit and the knowledge in violin. Are you going to teach me or not?”

“Choonhee-ah! Choonhee-ah!” he came running to the school at once, going from room to room until he found her inside the music room, playing the piano to the little children. The door was locked, so he knocked, still calling, “Choonhee-ah!”

The students all stared at the man, their other teacher, who was frantically trying to open the door.

“Ahjusshi is back,” one boy said, but Choonhee played continuously tyring her best not to turn her back to look at her husband.

When she finished, her tears dryly falling now, she stood up, faced the children with a happy smile. “Okay. Did everyone get it? That was the piano rendition of the song. Shall we try playing it now on the violin?”

“Choonhee-ah! Let me in,” Yesung knocked, his face now mixed with confusion and excitement.

Jinhye, Sungmin and Sunny’s little angel, stood up, now going to the door until Choonhee snapped her ruler on the table, preventing the child from going there.

“Jinhye-ah, stay in the front and perform a Vivaldi piece,” Choonhee scolded, eyes darting. The girl bowed her head in apology, putting her balled fist over sheepishly as she made her way to her seat, taking her violin out. Vivaldi was known to have the most extensive kinds of violin works ever created.

But Jinhye has been studying violin for two years already in the school, always present even in the summer days.

She then gazed at everyone else, now frightened. “Nobody is allowed to touch the door or I will give you a heavier punishment than Jinhye, understand?!”

“Yah! Choonhee-ah! What is wrong with you?” Yesung shouted at her.

She remembered being in SMEU, when he too went knocking in the classroom. Choonhee smirked, going to the door. She stuck her tongue out, infuriated that she wanted to punch his face for cheating on her. In an instant she forgot she was pregnant, carrying his child inside of her, and so she unlocked the door.

“What? Why?” he asked when he entered the room.

Choonhee pushed him outside, closing the door in case the students would consult to that kind of violence. The rage inside of her, the pain that hurt her, was now coming out as tears, as Yesung started complaining.

“I was just outside talking to Moon Geun about the investment her friends want,” Yesung stated. “And you could never guess what? They actually agreed! Omo, right? This is the biggest gain for both of us---”

“Ever as ing insensitive as before,” she slapped his face, her hand quick and heavy that it made a mark. Satisfied, she smiled through tears. “Expect...me raising up our child on...my own back in good old Seoul.” Choonhee flashed her hand before him, and then instantly, pulling out the ring and throwing it to a nearby trashcan. The man gaped in horror, at all th sudden instances this had to happen again to both of them. What did he do? All he wanted was a great future for his family---for Choonhee, the only woman he first learned to live with and for his unborn baby, yet to see a father as amazing as him.

“I’m sorry,” Choonhee shook her head sadly. “It isn’t even my fault but I’m the one apologizing. I guess I’ve been too sweet on you but not ever enough for you to appreciate it.” She opened the door, Yesung pulling her arm back so quickly that Choonhee easily react. He took her face in his hands, hastily making sure that she would not escape and before she knew it, Yesung was pressing his lips on to , which she defiantly refused. He forced himself on to her, pushing her to the wall, Choonhee squirming to get away. Because his hands were completely drawing her enraged face, Choonhee kicked his foot, the man letting go to feel the pain from below.

“Yah!” Choonhee cried, wiping her lips, breatheless from that action. “You can do that to Moon Geun any time from now on.” And she ran to the door, locking it again from the inside.

He didn’t expect this---an out of proportion and irrelevant situation that had him wondering why it unfortunately happened to both of them.

-o0o-

Lunchtime. He walked in the hallway nervously, doing breathing exercises in preparation. As he was about to turn to his office, he bumped into him unexpectedly, the other man squealing in fright and coincidence.

“Ryeowook-sshi!” Kyuhyun greeted him, his face morbid than usual. He seemed to be in a bad mood, Ryeowook concluded, seeing that his eyes were still weary.

Wook bowed his head in respect. “I’ll come back later when you’re...a little happier.”

He pulled his arm back. “What is it?”

Ryeowook showed his folder, his eyes hiding behind them. “Status report, sir.”

“Bad or worse?” Kyuhyun asked seriously.

The architect simple grinned, shaking his head. “In terms of progress...we’re faster than expected. Although I won’t say so for financial support...”

Kyuhyun clicked his tongue, looking away. “We need back-up.”

Wook nodded. “If...it’s...possible to...really ask your mother for more...”

“We’ve talked about this before we started the project,” Kyuhyun snapped back. “She won’t agree to it because she’ll be following our initial plan. Aish...I’ll try to ask dad for some donations anyway.”

“I understand,” he replied, remembering just earlier. “Omo, speaking of your mother, she talked to Haelee-ah earlier.”

“What?” Kyuhyun turned around, eyebrows knotted together in surprise. “Why? Where’s...Haelee now? Do you know?”

“I’m not sure. I think she was in her office earlier. But she must be out for lunch, I guess,” Ryeowook answered, checking his watch. “Aish, I have to pick up Beige at the site.”

Kyuhyun sighed, locking his office door. “Okay. I’ll try to talk mom into this again. I have to find Haelee first.”

He spun around again, remembering his thoughts with Sungmin earlier that morning. “Can you do a favor for me? Can you look for an apartment close to the public hospital? It has to be near, understand? And not...too isolated from the main road or too dark at night. I need the results this afternoon when I come back.”

He left the other man there, as hurriedly he took out his cell phone, pressing 4. The other line rang, and all he could think of was where she could be. In his watch, it was a quarter past twelve, his stomach in complaint about the delay on food.

“Haelee-ah! Where are you?”

“Kyuhyun-sshi?” she asked, her voice blurred to the noise around her. “I’m at the subway. Why? Do you need me?”

He sighed in relief. “Did you have lunch already? Ryeowook said you’ve met up with umma. What did she say?”

She giggled. “She said you need to go to the Avenue Plaza later tonight. There’s someone who wants to meet you.”

He scoffed easily, knowing what it was. “I’m not going on a blind date. When is she going to give up?”

Her laughter sounded apathetic. “Well...she’s worried about you. She’s afraid you’d turn out homo in a few weeks if you won’t meet up with new girls.”

“Aish, that’s not the case,” Kyuhyun retorted. “I’ve been on blind dates before. The women she chooses for me are so boring. Sure, they’re rich but come on. They complain about my Starcraft addiction. And besides...” he thought about Seohyun, how furious she was when he had forgotten about their agreement. He thought about her, her eyes, her smile...they all appeared so fake in front of him but he still would fall for it like it was the first time. He just loved how she would do that, even when it was unreal...he knew deep inside her heart, she would feel once again the love they shared.

“I don’t plan on marrying,” Kyuhyun answered.

“You’ll be single forever?” Haelee asked, giggling. “Your mother would be displeased. Even now I doubt your gender.”

“Yah!” Kyuhyun warned him. “I’m not interested in marrying again.”

“Again?” Haelee couldn’t believe her ears. “You got married before?”

Kyuhyun gulped, now realizing what he would be telling her. “Aigoo, it doesn’t matter anymore. It was two years ago.”

Haelee bit her lower lip. “Okay. If you say so, then don’t mind me asking. What happened? Why are you...alone?”

“Because I’m an , okay?” Kyuhyun replied angrily. “Anyway, just tell my mom I can’t go tonight. I have other important matters.”

“I’ll handle your important matters,” Haelee suggested. “Just to go to that date.”

Handle his important matters, she said. She couldn’t even er up his revelation about being attached, and now she would volunteer to take care of Sijoong?

“Don’t be like mom, Haelee,” he answered. “And...you can’t handle my important matters. They’re...personal.”

“On another side,” Haelee said, diverting the conversation. “Are you coming to Ryeowook’s engagement party next Saturday? Don’t tell me you’ll miss it, too.”

He laughed. “Of course. That man would kill me if I won’t attend.”

-o0o-

Sooyoung held her bag, pulling it as he followed Siwon to his car. She looked at her watch, only past three fifteen in the afternoon. Sighing, she lifted her luggage at the back of his car, knowing that the airport wasn’t too far off.

“Are you excited?” Siwon asked, pressing her face in those muscular hands. Being squashed her nose twitched, as she still put up a bright smile on her face.

“Nervous would be the right word,” she affirmed, laughing.

 Siwon, being a man of few words, noticed something was wrong with her, because usually she would crack one of those insulting jokes and a few words of sarcasm. Today she was plain and serious, like all the other girls he knew when they were experiencing some sort of gloominess. Sooyoung was special in her own ways, but her measure of hiding that emotion showed through her spicy coated outside.

“Shall we drop off the office today? Before we leave?” Siwon asked her, gazing as her eyes sparkled in wonder.

“What for?”

“Our flight’s an hour away,” he muttered casually. “I bet it won’t take long to talk to him.”

“No, no,” Sooyoung at once understood what exactly he wanted. “Please, I...really must not. We had already talked the other day. Chief’s...practically busy today compiling some articles for the final issue they’re going to release for the year.”

“Oh,” Siwon managed to reply. “But...I think...you’ve forgotten some of your books at your desk. You better get them now or Christmas will totally bore you.”

“Bore me? I have you,” Sooyoung replied, smiling. “But...yes, it would be lonesome without my books. Okay, let’s go to the office.”

Sooyoung did not know how to react, why was Siwon doing this for her? Onew was merely a friend, nothing more. A boss, that is, and a caring leader, Sooyoung would really miss him when they leave for the holidays. Siwon, despite their differences, actually valued her thoughts and respected her as a woman. That would be the real reason why she loved him so much.

Still, that reason...seemed too shallow.

At the office, she rushed inside, passed a bunch of desks and her own, glancing that there was nothing on it that day. She knocked on the Editor in Chief‘s door and hurriedly opened it without consenting the official sitting on the swivel chair.

“Chief...I’m going now,” she said, excusing herself with full respect, but the man sitting on the large throne was unmoving, still looking out of the window.

Panicking, she slammed her fists on his table. “Damn it, would you at least look at me before I go? Would you even say goodbye?”

“Why would I?” Jaesung answered, facing Sooyoung with a smirk. “Get going. We’ll handle the final issue on our own.”

“Where’s Chief?” demanded the outraged girl, shocked to see the junior at Onew’s seat. “Where is he, Jaesung?”

“You’re looking at him,” he chuckled, flicking a piece of paper. Sooyoung drew closer, snatching the paper and reading it, more puzzled than ever.

“As of today, Lee Jinki, or Onew has resigned his high position as Editor in Chief and is valid. I have been requested to take over until the remaining months. If Lee Jinki does not proclaim that he wants the position in the following ten days, it will be permanent. Hey! Where are you going? Pay respect to your boss!”

Sooyoung left in a flash, tearing Onew’s resignation letter as she dashed for the exit. She got into Siwon’s black Ford, surprising the man as she initially worn a look of bewilderment and alarm.

“Do you know where his dorm is? He’s not in the office,” Sooyoung inquired, now embarrassed.

Siwon looked at his watch, sighing. “Yeah, I do. We don’t have much time. Do you really want to go see him?”

She nodded, looking out of her window. “I’m...I’m sorry.”

“I understand,” Siwon gazed at her, shoving her chin to cheer her up. “Don’t worry. That hyung isn’t someone I should be jealous. I trust you.”

Sooyoung smiled unhappily, keeping much of her emotions control until they reached Dorm 10, a smaller house it was unlike the other ones on its street. Siwon parked the car, killing the engine and staring at Sooyoung before he headed outside.

“I’ll wait here,” he said. “I’ll always wait for you no matter what.”

She sighed, getting out and knocking on the door. It took nearly two minutes before someone opened it for her, a tall boy eating an apple.

“Oh, Sooyoung,” the boy greeted. “What are you doing here?”

“Where is he?” she asked, eyes yielding his presence. “Minho-oppa, I have no time.”

“He’s in his room,” he invited her over, Sooyoung forcibly entering and rushing up the stairs. “Yeah, okay. First room to the left!” shouted Minho, stunned at her sudden rudeness.

So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter