Chapter 29

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 29: “Baby you showed me what living is for-Taylor Swift”

-o0o-

The morning came, entering through the blinds. The baby cried, hungry it was, that became her alarm in waking up. Seohyun opened her eyes, squirming to get away from his hands. His eyebrows were crunched together while asleep, must be because of Sijoong’s noise. Slowly she peeked under the covers, relieved that she was still wearing her clothes. Kyuhyun too, so it proved that they didn’t do it last night. As he turned his back, Seohyun shoved the comforters to the side, and found her slippers, getting up to make the baby his milk.

“Yah, Sijoong-sshi,” Seohyun called his name, while he cried less upon seeing his mother. “Did you sleep early last night?”

Seohyun tied her hair up, gazing at the wall clock. It was already passed 9 in the morning.

“Omo! Kyuhyun-oppa!” she jumped back to the bed, shaking Kyuhyun’s shoulders. He was awake, a frown on his face. “Omo, oppa! You’re late for work! Yah, wake up!”

Kyuhyun clicked his tongue, his head back on the pillow.“I’m not going to work today. I feel lazy. I’m too tired. Don’t bother, I’m not getting up.”

Seohyun was exasperated at the statement that she kept on thumping his shoulder. “Oppa...oppa, you’ll get scolded. Get to work.”

“The only person who’s ever going to scold me is my mother,” he mumbled. “And I always win her over.”

“Oppa...come on,” Seohyun was worried that she would be blamed for this incident. “Get moving, please. This will not be---”

“Kyuhyun-sshi? Are you in the guest room?” someone’s voice surprised both parties that Kyuhyun bolted up immediately, staring into Seohyun’s eyes with huge ones as large as the moon. He did not expect anyone to be coming, definitely not the woman now possibly standing in front of his door.

Seohyun hastily crawled to Sijoong, pulling him from the crib. She placed a hand over Sijoong’s mouth, the baby remained quiet and cooperative. The two gradually sat on the bed with Kyuhyun, now putting a finger to his mouth as he got up gingerly, taking light steps towards the door.

“Yah, I’m here,” he shouted.

The doorknob turned uncaringly, Kyuhyun was thankful that it was lock. “Could you open the door?”

He gritted his teeth, thinking of another solution. As he was about to open the door, he looked back at Seohyun who was also concerned of being found out by other people. He started coughing loudly---cough, cough, cough, with a few sniffing sounds that indicated a runny nose.

He sneezed, before answering. “You can’t...come in, Haelee-ah. I’m sick.”

“So you won’t be going to work today?” she wondered. “Sungmin’s dying when I left the office. He said he’s going to quit if you don’t show up. He can’t handle things on his own.”

Kyuhyun scratched his head in irritation, still pretending to have the sniffles. “Tell him to quit, then. I don’t mind. I just...I just can’t...can’t go today. I’m sorry.”

“I understand,” Haelee replied, Kyuhyun hearing her footsteps move away. “Call me if you’re feeling any better. I’ll send in a doctor to check you up.”

“That’s not necessary,” he retorted at once, forgetting to cough another one. “I’ve asked Ms. Seo Joohyun about it. She told me on the phone...” Kyuhyun stared back at Seohyun, both of them grinning. “I’ll be fine in no time.”

“If you say so,” Haelee replied, finally giving up. Her voice still strained in concern over the man, bothered by his current state. “I’ll be at the office. Call me, don’t forget that. Call me if you need anything. I’ll be here as soon as I can. It’s troublesome but I might as well take a leave this afternoon to take care of you.”

Seohyun’s smile faded upon hearing the other woman’s apprehension---seeing that she really cared if Kyuhyun would be all right. She recollected some of her memories when Kyuhyun got sick, when they were still together. She had always put herself first in service for others but to her own husband, she couldn’t even give a simple medication of tender love and care.

Kyuhyun chuckled, rubbing his nose. “Don’t, Haelee. I can take care of myself. Go on, I’ll call you when I feel better.”

“Or when you feel worse,” Haelee let out a small giggle. The front door closed, both Kyuhyun and Seohyun hearing it. Quietly, and still sniffing, Kyuhyun peeked outside, closing the door behind him. He moved from the kitchen to the living area. The area was cleared.

“Seohyun-ah, you can come out now,” Kyuhyun instructed.

Seohyun with a crying Sijoong in her arms, shyly came out of the guest room, also carrying an empty bottle. “I have to make Sijoong some milk. Would you entertain him for a while?”

Kyuhyun’s lips twisted in disappointment, but still taking Sijoong from her hands. “I’m hungry. Make me breakfast.”

She grunted, smiling. “Your sarcasm never fails to amaze me.”

“Umma! Umma make me some milk too,” Kyuhyun pouted, doing aegyo in front of her while holding Sijoong. “Isn’t mom pretty, Sijoong-sshi? She’s pretty even when her hair’s a mess and she’s wearing my shirt.”

Seohyun looked at herself, shaking her head. “Yah, this is mine. It won’t fit you.”

Kyuhyun smiled, his voice turning back to its normal self. The shirt was white in color, having blue lines by the sleeves and a pink star in the middle. “That’s weird. I have one just like it.”

“Babo-yah,” Seohyun swayed her hand in the air, Kyuhyun escaping it. “I bought this on my own. It’s an exclusive line from my friend in Tokyo last year. This is the only one of its kind.”

“Your friend lied. I bought one too,” Kyuhyun said, surprised. “From a friend in Tokyo last year as well.”

“Who’s this friend?” Seohyun asked, doubting. “That’s impossible because she never studied in SMEU plus she’s a doctor. How can you meet her?”

Kyuhyun laughed, unable to repress it. “You mean, Qian? Qian Song? Seriously? Yeah, that’s right. She’s a doctor. Victoria, she’s my friend when I was a kid. How did you meet her? She did tell me that shirt was exclusive and had...only...two stocks: one for each gender. , she gave us couple shirts!”

“Same event? Seriously? This was last August,” Seohyun revealed.

“Last August too,” Kyuhyun answered, hurriedly taking the bottle from Seohyun. “I’ll make Sijoong’s milk, then.” He handed Sijoong back, but as he spun around to the kitchen, Sijoong complained, unexpectedly crying and pointing at Kyuhyun.

The man smiled. “It’s umma, Sijoong-sshi.”

“Appa! Appa!” little Sijoong called, Seohyun gawking in surprise.

“Sijoong-sshi, that’s not appa,” Seohyun reprimanded him. She turned to Kyuhyun, following him to the kitchen. He poured the hot water into the bottle, mixing it with some cold one, and then putting in four scoops of Sijoong’s milk.

“You taught him how to say appa, didn’t you?” she asked irately.

Kyuhyun shrugged. “Someone has to.”

“You’re so horrendous,” Seohyun told him. “I don’t know what I’m going to do with you.”

“I’ll help you move out,” Kyuhyun suggested, shaking the milk unto his wrist. It was good for drinking. He gave it to Sijoong who hurriedly on for his drink. He smiled. “I already hired an old lady to babysit Sijoong-sshi. Don’t worry, you can trust her.”

“How much is she for?” Seohyun wondered.

“I already paid that part,” Kyuhyun grinned. “You don’t mind, right?”

“What...do you want in return?” she asked. “I know you don’t usually give off money for nothing.”

He laughed heartily. “Nothing, really. Do you take me for that, Seo? After all of that? Seriously?” He leaned against the countertop, thinking. “Well...do you want to come to Ryeowook’s engagement party? It’s two weeks away, though. And it’s a Saturday.”

Seohyun smiled at him knowingly. “Aish, I don’t think I’m free at that time.”

Kyuhyun couldn’t hide how disappointed he was that he just nodded, turning his back now to get himself some coffee.

“But since...you ask so nicely and have done so much,” Seohyun replied, playing with him. “I guess I’d like to go with you.”

He beamed at her in thanks. “That’s great to hear.”

“You make the old times sound so corny,” she remarked.

-o0o-

“Good morning, Kibum-oppa!”

She greeted him when they crossed each other’s path in the elevator. Kibum smiled in reply, pressing the number 15 as he got in. He took out his cell phone, text messaging his manager about getting the script for his next drama.

“Going my way, Yeeun-ah?”

The girl nodded. “Where else?”

Kibum kept his eyes on the phone. “Eh...have you seen Yoon lately? She’s been missing out on my calls and messages.”

“What?” Yeeun looked at him in surprise. She really didn’t know how to react to that question. Why didn’t Kibum know? Where has he been staying all his life, under a soundproof rock? “Oppa hasn’t heard?”

His fingers stopped, eyes set on Yeeun. “About what?”

The doors opened of the lift opened, but neither one of the passenger moved out of their place, gazing at each other’s eyes. What could it be now, Kibum wondered to himself. Yoona had been ignoring his messages, had been missing all the fun and even her chances of being casted in a new drama offered by the company. Yeeun’s eyes fearfully blinked, unable to have anymore eye contact with the man because her heart couldn’t endure the pressure. She started her way out, but shockingly Kibum pulled her back, pressing the biggest number on the elevator list.

“What about Yoona?”

She grabbed her arm back, shyly shaking her head. “I can’t believe...it. Didn’t you know...about the project over to her by a Japanese company? Her manager will be dealing with it, along with Yoona. They’re flight to Kyoto is an hour away. Today’s her flight. She said this has been her dream to be casted in one of the biggest productions ever. It’s a remake movie. She’s sure to get the part. But...she has to sign a five year contract with them.”

Kibum dropped his phone. “She’s...going to Japan now?”

“For the signing,” Yeeun answered. “Waegyun agreed to let her go.”

“She can’t go,” Kibum muttered to himself. “She...she can’t.”

“You can still catch up on her,” she stated, blank as ever. “But...I don’t think you can change her mind about it. I...I’m sorry.”

-o0o-

“Eeteuk-sshi!” she shouted, crying.

He did not dare turn around to answer her, for if he did, he too would not be able to control the tears. Unsuspecting anything, Eeteuk was hugged from behind by those tiny arms that held so strongly.

“Please...don’t leave, please...”

“I have to, Taeyeon.”

“You can’t!” she seemed so hysterical about this; ambitious that he would actually let his emotions overwhelm him. “You can’t leave! You have to graduate. Forget about her. She isn’t worth anything. Damn it, you’re leaving for nothing.”

He halted, and over his shoulder he spoke, “I’m leaving for Hyunae.”

“Eeteuk-sshi, don’t.”

“Why do you care in the first place, Taeyeon-ah? Aren’t you tired of tormenting me yet? Okay, I get it. You’re the best in film. Get over it. I’m done.”

“You’re losing it,” she yelled. “I need you here. Please don’t leave.”

“I have a future waiting for me,” he responded. “I need to go, Taeyeon.”

“I love you, Eeteuk-sshi!” Leeteuk stopped, faced her with a shocked expression. “I love you with all my heart. There, I said it. Now would you come back for me? Would...you stay for me? Please?”

He smirked. “I...promised her. And I can’t...promise you anything after that. I’m sorry.”

Leeteuk sighed, shaking his head when he got up from the sofa, wondering what she could be doing now. He dreaded that memory of her, when he tried leaving and missing out on his very graduation because he was getting married to Shin Hyunae. And now his twins have heard of her. How was Hyunae anyway? Did she become a surgeon as initially planned? Or did the hatred for her almost groom still scar her until this day? For eleven years? Seriously, that Leeteuk already started doubting. Though court issues still hang about, Eeteuk was tensed by the minute, afraid to lose all the people he loved so much. Taeyeon was still at her parents’ house, probably telling them about the monstrous things he had done to her. He never meant for that, impossible, inadequate, and offensive.

“Appa, let’s go to the park today,” Yungyeo sat by the armrest. He looked up, patting the boy’s leg.

“I need sleep, Yungyeo-sshi,” he reasoned out.

“But Yumi’s playing there,” he told Eeteuk. “Come on dad, let’s cheer for her.”

“But...isn’t she with umma? Taeyeon picked her up this morning, didn’t she? So...she’s staying with umma today,” Leeteuk answered.

Yungyeo frowned. “Let’s go, please? She will be very sad. And you promised her that you’d go and watch the game.”

Leeteuk got up, sighing in boredom. Whatever possible solution he put up, he still had no escape of not seeing Taeyeon.

“All right, fine,” he said, fixing his hair. “Afterwards we come home and just watch TV, okay?”

-o0o-

Jessica, with Krystal out of her hands, visited Onew at the publication. She wore her brown hair down, a bit wavy by the ends, paired up with a pink dress and pumps. She rarely chose apparel like these nowadays, since Onew prevented her---wanting her to act out her own mature age.

She knocked on the door, noting that the other staffers were on their desks hurriedly typing their articles. She quietly sneaked in, the other staffers noticing her. Because she was the one closest to the door, Kari approached Jessica, her eyes straining to remain welcoming in front of the guest.

“May I help you?” Kari asked.

Jessica greeted her with a bright smile, nodding. “Ah, Kari-sshi. Onew did come to work this morning, right?”

“You’re living with each other and you don’t even know your fiancé’s whereabouts?” Kari sneered. “That’s pathetic. If I were Onew-oppa’s wife, I’d always keep an eye on him wherever he goes.”

“That’s because I---”

“You’re already doing that, Kari-sshi even when you and Onew aren’t dating,” the man behind interrupted, bowing his head at the visitor. “Jessica, what are you doing here?”

“Heechul-oppa,” Sica greeted with a smile. “Has he come by this morning?”

Heechul shrugged. “I’m not sure. He dropped by but went out immediately. Must be something important. Kari’s right. You’re living together and you don’t know if he left the house?”

Sica laughed. “That’s because I stayed at my sister’s apartment last night.”

“Did you two fight?” Kari wondered enthusiastically as Jessica shook her head, a scowl now on her face.

“Krystal was drunk. I had to take care of her first before anything else,” Jessica replied, Heechul seizing her from talking to Kari anymore.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter