Chapter 1

어쩌면 Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 1: “But I’m invisible and everyone knows who you are- Taylor Swift” 

-o0o-

With every beginning comes another fitting end.

Perhaps they were much too young to have decided what was best for them both. Perhaps they did not expect outcomes like this would exist, having a love that is said to last forever. But what was forever?

A mere word that broke the hearts of most.

In a small town at the borders of busy Incheon was his home. Well, his old home, that is. He hadn’t been there for nearly two years, never returning to that place that caused him so much pain. Kyuhyun knew they were so naïve, so innocent then to have been married at once. After signing those divorce papers, Kyuhyun had his whole focus on owning new companies in the big city. He moved to Busan, leaving behind the yesterday. He was a man of his own will now---no nagging could hold him back.

“What the do you want now, Wook?” he complained, his earpiece vibrating. Driving under heavy traffic was the worst of all the things he had to encounter that day. He had a meeting in less than twenty minutes, a bunch of big brokers were waiting on him for his final say--- some wishing to close the deal between Dong Communications and Kyuhyun’s family firm. Such a pain in the , those SOBs; he had no other choice but to get there and compromise as much as he could to reconsider the contract before his mother calls him about it again.

“Kyu-sshi, they said they won’t wait anymore.” Ryeowook’s voice matured from the last time, but due to the pressure, it sounded even more high-pitched than his high school days.

Noticing that the cars in front would not budge, he clicked his tongue in impatience, apparently nervous about the deal. His mom trusted him one of the first firms they owned, and he was failing her---all because of this traffic.

“I’m still stuck in ,” Kyuhyun replied, pushing his horn in agitation. “You’re good at making excuses, Wookie-sshi. Why don’t you stall them for me?”

“Ah, I can’t tell them lies---”

“You have to or we’ll both lose our job,” he muttered, warning the other man. “Is Sungmin-hyung there?”

Ryeowook gulped. “Not yet here. Must be stuck in the same road as you.”

“Where is he? ! He should be there explaining.” Kyuhyun was running out of hope. “Where the hell is he? What kind of partner is he? He can’t expect me to be accomplishing all that stuff I can’t---” Ryeowook’s line blurred as a new caller bothered Kyuhyun’s phone. “Hold on, I’m getting another call.”

He switched the piece to the other man, hearing Sungmin on the other line, being erratic as usual.

“Kyuhyun-sshi,” he spoke politely, “I have to miss the meeting today because I have a special appointment with Jinhye. Her recitals---”

“Get your to that meeting or you’ll be dead, Sungmin-hyung! You hear me? Dead! You’re the only one who can rescue that contract. Get on with it. I’m still stuck in traffic.” Kyuhyun couldn’t help himself from yelling at the other lawyer, for crying out loud they were at the verge of losing another dealer. They had to ing save their company in all due time or else the stocks would go lower again.

“I’m in Daeyung, Jinhye’s music school. I can get there in five minutes.” Sungmin frowned, twisting his lips in infuriation. “This will be the last straw, Kyuhyun-sshi. After this, all other favors are totally in debt. You got that?”

The man smiled to himself, nodding happily. “Thanks. You’re totally a lifesaver. I’ll be there as soon as I can.” He replaced the receiver, going back to his previous conversation with the architect of the firm.

“Wookie, what are they saying?”

The other was sighing, sounding all hopeless. “Hurry up, Kyuhyun-sshi. They’re not happy about this. You may not be able to convince them anymore of taking back the contract.”

He laughed, looking at his side mirrors as the line behind him got even longer. “Trust me, Ryeowook. I’m a professional persuader. I’ve been practicing law since I graduated. Umma would not give me this firm if I couldn’t handle it.”

“I hope you’re right,” Wookie responded, still worried. “Just get your butts here and restart the deal or something.”

“Sungmin-hyung’s on his way.”

-o0o-

“Jinhye,” he called her to his side, the girl approaching Sungmin with a nonchalant face. She was small, cheeks stubby, eyes much like Sungmin’s. She had short brown hair, tied in pigtails. Her red dress was perfect on her; she would surely stand out from the rest of the little performers. “Appa needs to go to work. Appa has to go, okay? Appa will call Umma so she can watch your performance today instead.”

The girl nodded, face saddening. “Appa always works. No more time for Jinhye.”

Sungmin tried smiling, kissing the forehead of his four-year-old daughter to cheer her up. “Ah, Jinhye. Umma will be here. I have to go. Tell teacher I’ve been here.”

“Sungmin-sshi, stay for a little,” Yesung emerged from the crowd that were all excited to see their little ones perform. “We haven’t seen each other for quite some time now. Why can’t you---”

The other man shook his head, sorry and apologetic in behalf. “Nah, Kyuhyun needs me at the office. I’ll lose my job if I don’t get there.” He kneeled before Jinhye and hugged her, before waving at Yesung a warm goodbye. Jinhye, accepting the fact that her mother wouldn’t be coming around anymore, tugged on Yesung’s sleeve, pouting.

“Teacher...” she said. “I’m scared.”

Yesung held her hand tightly, doing his best to encourage her. “Let’s go inside so Choonhee can put on your make up. I’m going to call your Mom to make sure she does attend.”

“Umma’s working too,” Jinhye told his teacher. “She won’t be here.”

Yesung rolled his eyes, suddenly remembering that both parents were law students before. “Aish, don’t think like that. Let’s go.”

They entered the room; most of the other little girls were running around in their puffy skirts excited about their recital. No parent was allowed to enter this backstage, for they were directed to the front to take their seats. Yesung noticed at once his wife, who was being yanked by the children. She seized them softly one by one to make a line, so she could put on their make up properly.

Daeyung was not only a music school, but the pre-school academic life was also provided. For Jinhye’s case, and a few of her classmates, they would attend classes at 8 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon. It was only Yesung and Choonhee who taught in their small school, making a living out of passing on their teachings. In the mornings, basic violin was Jinhye’s class (others take piano or flute, depending on which curriculum they enrolled). The three hours in the afternoon would be for learning science and math.

“Yesung-sshi! Help me,” she called him, as he let go of little Jinhye. Lee Jinhye followed him so she wouldn’t be separated from the rest of her classmates. Choonhee greeted the girl with a loving smile, asking her to go behind the last girl in the line. There were about nine girls lining up, Jinhye being the tenth.

Yesung nudged his wife, getting closer to give her a hug from behind, and then whispering, “Sungmin wouldn’t be able to watch her. Can you call Sunny, instead? Jinhye sounds so disappointed.”

Choonhee looked at him, tilting her head in dismay as well. Since Yesung appeared to be totally clueless of what to do, she gazed at Jinhye, sadly coping up with her conditions in her own little ways.

“Yes, I’ll call her,” Choonhee responded quietly. “If they’re not going to be good parents to her, I might as well adopt the kid.”

Yesung chuckled, adoring the idea. “I always wanted a daughter. Why can’t we ---”

Knowing where this rant was heading, she clicked her tongue, picking up her cell phone to call Sunny. When she heard that the line was ringing, Choonhee gave the call to her husband as he fumbled with the phone in his hands. Choonhee focused now on the first girl, applying creamy foundation.

He placed the phone by his ear instantly, as the other line finally answered. “Yes?”

Yesung cleared his throat. “Sunny? It’s Yesung. You remember me, right?”

The girl let out a short chortle. “Of course. What can I do for you?”

“Jinhye’s recital,” he simply stated, and the mother knew what that meant.

Irritated, Sunny received a beep from her phone, indicating that she was getting another call. “Hold on. I have someone on the other line.” Hearing Yesung’s affirmation, she switched, realizing at once it was him, saying his excuses.

“You’re sorry?” Sunny nearly yelled at him, betrayed that he broke his promise of taking care of Jinhye that time. “I can’t believe this. You love your job more than Jinhye!”

“Sunny, do not misunderstand,” Sungmin replied, hopeless of further overthrowing his wife. Yes, they were both experts of defending other people, but the hardest person he had to protect was his own self from the autocrat he had married. Both being lawyers, Sungmin and Sunny lived with debates and contracts, deals with obvious loopholes their clients seem to miss out. That was until of course, Jinhye came. She was the biggest case the two of their brains had tried to crack, but even they couldn’t handle the responsibility.

“Kyuhyun-sshi...needs me at the office to work out the deal with Dong Communications.”

She laughed, aggravated by his reasons again. “Kyuhyun-sshi this and Kyuhyun-sshi that. When is Jinhye going to get a real father? At 60?”

“Sunny, she needs you too.” Sungmin’s voice was dry. He had to save it for later, when the real pleading began. There was no traffic at his side of the road and no speed limit in this area. He could go at any rate he wished.

“You’re cooking tonight,” she retorted, deciding finally. “We’ll talk about this over dinner. You’re dead.” With that, she returned to Yesung’s call, anticipating from her a pleasing remark.

“I’m on my way, Yesung-oppa.”

She twisted her lips, rolling her eyes towards her side mirror. The car behind her was a bit distant, so she took the opportunity of making a turn at that corner, missing the left curve to her office. Her wheels screeched at the surprised turn, all the way she drove towards the music school.

And she had a partnership meeting in less than two hours. If she couldn’t make it, then it was goodbye promotion.

it.

-o0o-

The Yongkyung Publication, a weekly publication of Incheon, was the most trusted newspa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter