Adjustment

Playful Trick

Sungmin’s eyes moved under his lids, attempting to escape from the painful process of waking up, he fisted the sheets as he exhaled the stress away. His eyes shut in irritation but finally he managed to crack them half-way.

“You are awake,” Sungmin only noticed Kyuhyun after he inhaled and exhaled a couple of times.

Sungmin responded by slowly reaching up to rub the bridge of his nose. "How long have I been out?"

Kyuhyun blearily glanced at the clock parked over the coffee table near to them. "About three hours." Kyuhyun grimaced, not liking the length of sleep Sungmin got. He shifted awkwardly at the side trying to at least gather some more space since both he and Sungmin slept over the single hospital bed.

After some minutes he got up to pour Sungmin a glass of water and slowly sat up. "How're you feeling?"

"Better." Sungmin took the warm cup from him, smiling at the affection in Kyuhyun’s tired eyes. "Still somewhat nauseous, I think, but better."

"There's some freshly made pumpkin soup if you're hungry,” Kyuhyun smiled, “Ryeowook prepared it for you and even if you aren't hungry, you should eat something, to make up for all that you've puked out."

 


 

They are all gathered in front of the doctor, this time Yesung’s thoughts seemed revolting but nonetheless had kept a stoic face. Kyuhyun bit his lips when his eyes met the nervous ones of Sungmin and discreetly, it moved over Yesung’s place. Kyuhyun hates that dull feeling of anxiety coming from Sungmin. Even though he harbours feelings of revulsion- okay that was an exaggeration-  for Yesung, still, Kyuhyun can’t take the tension.

"It could be -"

They all snapped their heads to the source of the voice.

"- the constant presence of ual with Kyuhyun in such a manner, as well as his reproductive cells in your system, which then triggered your body's inherited ability to react the way a female body would - an ability which would otherwise have remained dormant until your death." The doctor clarified. "Basically, thanks to obvious Kyuhyun, you've now got yourself a perfect little functional womb of your own."

Sungmin’s ears perked at the word “constant presence of ual ” and Kyuhyun glanced warily over Sungmin. He can sense the mere want coming from Sungmin to inform the physician that they are not on the roll to participate in that constant---

"I am still trying to come to terms with the situation myself." Sungmin placed a slow, uncertain hand on his abdomen and he felt warmth at the covered expanse of his back, Kyuhyun’s hand was doing slow rubbing patterns on it.

Yesung remained quiet and Sungmin thought he must be digesting everything he heard right now.

He wasn’t given a chance to talk to Yesung again because the moment he woke up, with few hours given to fully get back on his feet, he was summoned for a physical check-up. They doctors managed to set everything up, run an advanced, detailed scan of Sungmin's internal organs - which was also projected on the screen for everyone to see.

Sungmin must really thank Kyuhyun for always staying beside him just like this moment where his hands are safely tucked in between Kyuhyun’s palms.

The couple heaved a gleeful sigh when they were told that the uterus was functioning normally for a pregnancy. And the baby would also be able to grow normally within him, since the womb had developed in the appropriate location.

The imaging on the screen also managed to confirm that Sungmin was exactly eight weeks pregnant with a fine and healthy fetus.

It was a small, magical moment - seeing the tiny form of life on the screen in front of them- and in that moment both Sungmin and Kyuhyun felt any lingering doubts they'd had about seeing the pregnancy through (faint as they had been) immediately dissolve.

"In another four weeks we should be able to tell if it's a boy or girl," said the doctor. Kyuhyun grasped Sungmin's hand, smiling, and Sungmin smiled back; the boys exchanged indulgent looks and Yesung rolled his eyes while the doctors themselves exchanged understanding smiles.

"Well, I think we're definitely going through with this," Sungmin caught Kyuhyun's eye as the latter was pouring tea for the doctors, and smiled. The child was fine so far, and most pregnancies, from what he knew, held better chance once they were past the third month - which wasn't far away. Now that they knew there was no likelihood of any major complications despite the circumstances...

The doctors smiled warmly, "We'll be happy to assist you in any way, as always. But remember this Sungmin; we need to know when you are planning to uhm— you know- to move away from the public"

Sungmin nodded but suddenly froze on the spot when he felt Yesung’s questioning stare on him.

"You may want to be prepared for some other minor problems during the pregnancy, though." the doctor continued, completely oblivious to what’s happening between the brothers. "Like I mentioned, his body wasn't originally built for this, and there's only a certain extent to which it can adapt itself. Bone structure, mainly..." he looked at Sungmin. "Backaches may get worse when you're trying to balance the weight in the last trimester, especially. Then again, almost all women experience similar trouble... and you do already have a slightly more female frame than most males."

"And I'll be here to help," Kyuhyun said softly, in earnest. Sungmin gave him an acknowledging smile.

But now, speaking of adapting... it was also probably as good a time as any to ask his most deeply burning question: "On the subject of my ability to adapt... There's no chance that having a female reproductive system would actually -"

...Okay, perhaps it wasn't a very good time to ask that question after all, because Kyuhyun chose that very moment to have a sudden, related epiphany, straightening in his seat next to him and asking -

"Will he be able to feed because just last time he said his man s are getting harder and... swollen?"

There was silence for about two second before Donghae, who had been sitting quietly at the other end and daintily sipping his tea all the while, nearly spat it out.

"...Kyuhyun." Sungmin gave him a very calm, very deadly grin. "Don't make me murder you in front of these poor souls."

"But I'm just curious-- " Sungmin glowered at Kyuhyun more yet he remained unfazed, “ the last time you had my hands plastered over your s while sobbing at the hardness of it.”

The doctor laughed. "I can answer that question, if you'd like."

Sungmin spread his fingers slowly over his face, chagrined. "...Even if it were possible, I doubt that's something I'd want to do uhm, to feed a baby."

"Well... it certainly is possible," offered the amused doctor.

"All men do possess mammary glands as well," explained the other doctor. "Theoretically, with enough physical stimulus - which is the baby ling - one would eventually be able to produce enough milk to nurse."

"But of course, the pregnancy itself and the presence of certain female hormones would make things a lot easier. And you happen to already have this." 

"Wow." Donghae took another calm sip of his tea, eyes gleeful. "It looks like you're actually more of a perfect wife than we've all realized, Sungmin."

Sungmin glared at him and was about to open his mouth with a sharp retort when Kyuhyun interrupted again.

"Wait - wouldn't this mean that he'd really develop...---"

"Merciful Shisus." Sungmin sank his head into his hands. "Kyuhyun!"

"ies?" Kyuhyun continued innocently. Over in the corner, Yesung snorted.

The doctors were chuckling. "I'd say it's actually unlikely," one finally replied, laughingly. "Size doesn't determine the amount of milk - the amount of ling does. But then, neither does this affect size. Some women experience enlargement during pregnancy itself, but then since you're male and there's considerably less mammary tissue... I doubt you'll have to be concerned.

"Likewise, just because you now have a female's reproductive system within you doesn't mean you're going to turn into one... if that was what you were worried about earlier."

"Yes," Sungmin heaved a sigh of both relief and moderate embarrassment, one hand still held to his head. "It was." He paused. "All the same, I shall have to give this nursing issue some thought. And that's provided we -"

"Don't worry Sungmin," Kyuhyun smiled, teasing. "I'll still love you anyway - it doesn't matter if you have s or if you're female, male, or in between."

"You - !" Sungmin was left speechless, almost spluttering as the heat rushed to his face, and Kyuhyun nuzzled his hair and laughed.

Donghae grinned. "I always did wonder if there were issues about , actually." Okay another stupid in the list.

"Oh no," Kyuhyun responded, a little too helpfully - "He's perfectly fine when we..." - and belatedly realized the intimate nature of the topic and blushed slightly. "Um, yeah... Other than stamina sometimes, of course, but I mean... he doesn't have a... or at least, he still doesn't, so I'm sure - "

"Yes, Kyuhyun, thank you for so very informatively educating all of us." Sungmin interrupted pointedly through gritted teeth. “And everyone I am a hundred per cent sure that my hasn’t turned into a .”

"Ah, but now are you sure he's always been male?"

Sungmin made a mental note to scream at Donghae later; the wretched manager was clearly having a field day. And Kyuhyun, of course, still hadn't gotten it and had to go fall for the bait -

"Well... yes... I'm pretty sure he... Because when we went uhm— on the bathtub---“

"That's quite enough," Sungmin ordered sharply, cheeks flaming despite himself. "Thank you, Kyuhyun, I don't believe we'll be needing anymore confirmation from you on this matter."

"You won't turn into a woman, Sungmin , there's no need to worry."

"So he won't be losing his -" Kyuhyun's mouth popped eagerly open again before he could stop himself, and Sungmin let out a mortified, exasperated wail.

"Shisus!”  He seethed, burying his face back in his hands. "Kyuhyun, I'm going to -"

"...Puke?" Kyuhyun frantically scrambled for the paper bag they'd set nearby, just in case. "Do you need me to help you to the bathroom or -"

"NO!"

"Then... what is...?" Kyuhyun blinked.

"Never mind. Never mind." Sungmin made a large effort to stop himself from trembling, took a deep breath, and tried to will all thoughts of mercilessly slaughtering both Kyuhyun and Donghae out of the way, as well as the enormous rush of blood which had risen to - and was still staining - his cheeks. He should never have asked that question in front of them. He should never, ever have asked that question...

"Cho Kyuhyun I believe you would do well to start being more... perceptive of what he's feeling,” the other doctor who looked like a rockstar with his rainbow hair (Kyuhyun needs to ask Ryeowook if this one is really part of the team, he’s kind of suspicious with this one)

"You mean his moods?" Kyuhyun guessed, reaching to pat Sungmin's back in concern. Sungmin still had his face buried. "...Is this because I mentioned -"

Ryeowook cleared his throat in alarm and made a cutting motion across his neck in attempt to shut Kyuhyun up.  

"Oh." Kyuhyun said. "Oh."

“ He can be hormonal. These changes can cause extreme highs and lows in his moods. You... might not be as lucky the next time."

"I wouldn't be surprised," Sungmin muttered, finally lifting his head to glower at him.

Kyuhyun grinned sheepishly back. "Sorry..."

"Having a baby can be exciting, but it can also be quite tiring. Sungmin will need all the support you can give him."

And Kyuhyun worried his lower lip, silently looking over Yesung who grew quiet all over the conversation.

Kyuhyun nodded. "I know." He was at least aware of and mentally preparing for that much. Now, what else did he already know about pregnancies...? The morning sickness, the backaches, the mood swings, the food cravings... swollen ankles...

"Getting some books to read will probably be a good idea."

 


 

The whole conversation itself was starting to feel a little overwhelming, and Sungmin was already looking tired. Kyuhyun wrapped an arm around him and kissed his cheek, rubbing his shoulder comfortingly. "Are you all right?"

"Just an oncoming headache." Sungmin managed a smile.

Ryeowook looked at them understandingly. "It's been a long one."

And so the doctors took their leave, and Sungmin went to have a lie down - though this eventually involved a lot more thinking than resting. When Kyuhyun checked on him and realized he wasn't quite asleep yet he climbed in gingerly with him, slipping arms around him from behind.

"What are you thinking of?"

Sungmin sighed a little.

"Everything. But mostly the fact that I'm... going to be a parent. A mother, more appropriately. And Yesung hyung"

Kyuhyun smiled momentarily at his words, but then nuzzled his hair again, murmuring his admittance.

"...I'm still finding it kind of hard to believe, too.,” supplied Kyuhyun, “and yes Yesung hyung. You're worried, aren't you? I thought worrying was my job."

"I'm not... worried. Given the situation now, it'll probably be easier for hyung to start voicing out his thought. I am afraid that he only agrees with everything just not to make things more complicated but Kyuhyun--- "

Kyuhyun chuckled knowingly after giving Sungmin’s shoulders another reassuring squeeze. "I know... I haven't forgotten the situation." He said softly. "...But I'll be here. We'll be here together for everything. And nothing is going to happen that would drift you to apart. So don't worry... okay?"

"Hhm." Satisfied with the answer, Sungmin let out another small, tired sigh and settled against him, closing his eyes. His head was throbbing mildly, but Kyuhyun was now rubbing soothing circles into his shoulders, which helped.

"...Sungmin?"

"Mhmm?"

"You're not... angry with me, are you?"

"...For?"

"For... this. I mean, I know you already said we'll go through with this, but... I know it must've been a shock as well, and I wanted to know if..."

Sungmin turned around, opening his eyes briefly again to smile at Kyuhyun's guilty-puppy face. "I'm not angry." He murmured laughingly. "Surprised, yes, tired, yes, cranky... perhaps I will be, perhaps I won't..." He actually snuggled into Kyuhyun's embrace. "But I think this is wonderful."

Ah, how Kyuhyun's heart fluttered then. (After all, guilty as he still felt, somewhat, he had to admit that the thought was both warming his insides and giving him little butterflies as well.) There was a tiny voice in his head which was warning that Sungmin would probably be thinking it a lot less wonderful once the side effects kicked in good and proper, and another tiny voice which was trying to remind him about what Sungmin had said about torturing him the day before - but it was enough relief for now, to see that he did appear as happy about it as he was.

 


 

As it turned out, the side effects of Sungmin's hormonal balancing certainly didn't waste more time in making themselves well felt.

He'd rested well over the previous day and night, but early on the next morning, Sungmin still got up on the wrong side of bed. Kyuhyun had risen earlier, so it meant that the warmth next to him was gone - not that he minded too much, since his own body temperature had been getting uncomfortably warmer - what irked him was the lack of someone to cuddle with upon waking. And for pete’s sake since when did he want to cuddle with Kyuhyun – do not mind the taste of denial from this words.

And was that... bacon and eggs?

Now, if you were there you would probably have agreed with me that the bacon and eggs Kyuhyun was busy making in the kitchen actually smelled good. Sungmin remembered that Kyuhyun mastered cooking them so he has something to offer to Sungmin once this state of pregnancy hit them.

 And it should also be made known that Sungmin ordinarily didn't mind bacon and eggs at all, it was just that on that particular morning...

Sungmin took one whiff, gagged, and bolted for the bathroom as his stomach gave the most sickening lurch.

One heave, two heaves, three - oh, merciful Shisus - and another -

It was awful. And he could still smell the goddamned bacon.

"...Sungmin?" Yesung was stepping in some seconds later, squatting by his side and his back soothingly as he handed him a mug of warm water with the other hand. Sungmin took it, rinsed the taste of bile from his mouth and then sipped at the water slowly and miserably.

"...There's breakfast, when you're feeling better. Kyuhyun made bacon and e-"

The mere thought almost made him gag again. "No... no, just, no. Don't."

Yesung looked at his ashen face and winced inwardly. "Are you... okay?"

"No."

It sounded so harsh and bitter that Yesung flinched. He wrapped his arms around his shoulders.

"You don't have to go, you know," his brother said softly, probably talking about the new scheduled meeting for the postponed mini concert.

 "If you -"

There were many ways in which Sungmin could've told him "Leave me alone", or "No, you have to go back to Donghae or Ryeowook." But because he was suddenly upset with a lot of things that morning (Kyuhyun not being there when he woke, the smell of bacon which had made him vomit horribly, Kyuhyun not knowing that the smell of bacon had made him vomit horribly, Kyuhyun being the indirect cause of all this in the first place, the birds twittering merrily away outside while he was here feeling so miserable), what came out was,

"If you don't get out of my sight within ten seconds, hyung, I swear I am going to castrate you."

Yesung gulped and shifted tentatively away from Sungmin. He stood frozen because well angry Sungmin is so foreign to Yesung and hey, he’s such acting like how a good brother he should be.

"I'm going to start counting."

Yesung ran out from the bathroom and the bedroom with such speed and he probably broke his own bullet-dodging sprint record.

Ryeowook who miraculously materialized behind him grinned at his highly disturbed expression, "You know he wasn't much of a morning person to begin with."

Yesung rubbed the back of his neck, troubled. "Are - are you sure you'll be all right with him in this state?" He was already dressed to go (thankfully) - and Sungmin evidently wanted him out of the house right then, but he still felt bad about leaving his brother in that stat.

"I've spent much more time dealing with the princess and his hormonal moods than you have in the past haven't I?" Ryeowook smirked.

"That's... true... but -" Yesung wasn’t able to continue because the royal princess just went out of the bathroom.

"What 'PRINCESS'?" Came a screech from their bathroom, and Yesung visibly cringed.

"Oh boy..."

 


 

"Blueberries."

"Blueberries?"

"If there's one thing that's been constant in his peculiar appetite pattern these few days, they're it." Ryeowook interjected.

And Kyuhyun ended the phone call.

When he got home, he found Sungmin asleep like this.

His long eyelashes touching the soft round of his cheeks, mouth slightly opened and his body slanted, positioned to sleep on his side so Kyuhyun can only see the half of Sungmin’s angelic face.

Sungmin was a picture of bliss, and Kyuhyun found himself smiling both in fondness, and relief that he at least seemed well-rested. Gently, he approached the bed and climbed on to it before planting a soft kiss to his cheek.

Sungmin stirred and turned, his frown at being woken dissolving into a warm smile as he realized who it was.

"Hey,"

"Hey," Kyuhyun grinned back, amused at the huge contrast of his behavior compared to when he'd last left the house.

"I'm home -"

He'd barely finished the sentence when Sungmin pulled him down for a long, gratifying kiss.

Which Kyuhyun was no doubt enjoying but this is Sungmin- oh the ever reserved one- but then he realized the kiss has a purpose because Sungmin suddenly bit down on his bottom lip.

Hard.

"Ow!" He pulled back with a surprised yelp.

"That, was for leaving me alone for the entire week."

Kyuhyun wanted to be happy because apparently Sungmin developed a clinginess disease, together with his cravings but then this has setbacks. Like how Sungmin wanted Kyuhyun to stop filming and just be with him. The fanmeeting (as they decided no concert to be held at all) will also be next week and Sungmin wanted Kyuhyun to stay at the backstage because he said he’ll miss Kyuhyun.

However behind those sweet talks, what Sungmin really meant is him asking for more food from kyuhyun.

 


 

Sungmin had stopped short on his way to the kitchen to stare at the small mountain of baby books now sitting on the coffee table. Kyuhyun had indeed outdone himself, he thought with wry yet fond amusement. Those ought to serve for a good couple of months' reading, at least...

He shook his head. Hungry. Food first. Especially while he wasn't throwing anything up. Now, if Kyuhyun had remembered to stock up on the cornflakes as well... Oh yes, and there was ice cream, wasn't there? His stomach growled again.

It took two seconds for him to reach the kitchen.

It took another two seconds for Kyuhyun to come strolling after him, Yesung in tow.

He and Sungmin’s hell of a brother unwantedly find shopping for Sungmin’s food a great time to settle down their differences and right now they are partners in crime when Sungmin’s cravings kicked in.

And it took only two more seconds before Sungmin was blinking, nothing short of dumbfoundedly, at the dozen different colorful plastic bottles which had toppled out onto the counter when he'd emptied the first grocery bag.

"Kyuhyun, what -"

"...Pre-natal vitamins?" Kyuhyun offered a hopeful smile.

"...I can see that."

"They... all seemed necessary, so I kind of... just.. grabbed every single one of them.”

“Yes, I can see that too." Sungmin sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. He supposed he'd simply have to give them a look over later and decide which of them to actually start tak- aha, ice cream. His train of thought now interrupted by the sight of the cooler bag, Sungmin reached eagerly for it, only to pull out, much to his disdain, a box of –

"...Vanilla."

"Didn't you say you wanted vanilla over the phone last night?"

Baby Book rule number 1: The pregnant mother is always right.

"Vanilla," Sungmin said, conveniently ignoring his justification, "is the most unbelievably bland flavor you could have possibly picked up." He set the box down and placed his hands on the table. "Get me Strawberries. Or Rum and Raisin."

Baby Book rule number 2: Never, ever try to argue with a pregnant mother, especially not during the first 3 - 4 months.

Negative Example: Cho Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun frowned. "But I don't think there were any Strawberries... And there's alcohol in Rum and Raisin. The baby book said -"

Ah, yes, the Baby Book did say that alcohol was inadvisable for expectant mothers. But you see, our poor innocent subject, Cho Kyuhyun, also has yet to learn that the Baby Book can sometimes be about as contradictory as the Bible.

So now, as a result of this... very tactful response of his - Sungmin went very, very silent, very, very still - and glowered.

Baby Book rule number 3: If this happens, there are three options. a. Compromise b. Advise her at your own risk c. Refer back to rule number 1.

Kyuhyun, bless his poor soul, fortunately opted for a cross between a and c. He took a step backward, swallowing. "I'll uh... go get it now."

One and a half hours later, Kyuhyun and Yesung were still desperately combing the third supermarket for Strawberry-flavored ice cream (because he wasn't going to let Sungmin have any amount of alcohol if his life depended on it, and because the previous two supermarkets also didn't have the alternative option called Strawberry, oh ing gahd). And perhaps it was just as well that he couldn't find it, because then Yesung suggested that Sungmin might change his mind and wanted... cookies and cream.

Kyuhyun bit back a sigh and rubbed a temple tiredly. "What are the chances that he'll change his mind again by the time I get back?"

"Good point," Yesung said. "Why don't you just get a pint of every single flavor? They're smaller, and that way, I can slowly finish up whatever he doesn't want." He could almost see Yesung grinning over the other end.

But it was a valid suggestion, and so Kyuhyun managed to procure a few more cooler bags and haul twenty-three different pint-sized tubs of ice cream.

Sungmin had already eaten something else for breakfast while he was gone, of course, but the biggest reward of having to make that trip back for the mere sake of ice cream was the way his eyes quietly lit up and the way he then blissfully dug into one whole pint each of... Blueberry, and... Vanilla.

Ah, how relieved Kyuhyun was then that he'd taken Yesung's suggestion; never mind the fact that the little ice cream spree had cost him considerably and that Sungmin had eventually settled for vanilla again. Sungmin's sheer delight was clear, and there was even a tiny little satisfied hum which escaped his throat as he finally polished off the last spoon, now looking absolutely contented.

"You know, at this rate you're only going to get -"

Kyuhyun nearly knocked over the table and two chairs in his frantic scramble to clap a hand over Yesung's mouth.

Baby Book rule number 4: Never, ever make negative comments about a pregnant mother's weight, or call her "fat".

So Kyuhyun, who fortunately had done his studying in this area, was already shaking his head at Yesung in alarm, desperately trying to make his eyes communicate No no no don't say it, DON'T say it, or we're all DEAD.

"Oh lighten up," Yesung smirked, obviously disregarding Kyuhyun’s look of horror. "I'm just trying to have some fun."

Sungmin blinked unamusedly at both of them, his spoon still poised gracefully in midair. "I know very well what hyung was going to say, Kyu."

Kyuhyun wanted to gulp.

But then Sungmin simply rose from his seat with his own smirk and a light, "We shall see about that, bg head," and there was nothing more to that.

...Alright, so maybe the Baby Book wasn't always right about everything. That, or Sungmin was now plotting something devious and horrifically horrible. Kyuhyun chose to hope it was the former.

There was, however, to be a small problem in the upcoming week, and Kyuhyun finally found the chance to tell him about it that night as they got into bed. “Uhm, I am having the final shoot for this brand and-- It's going to be pretty busy, so we both won't be able to make it down until Friday,” Kyuhyun hesitated “or maybe Thursday evening... but we'll be back here as soon as we can. Okay?"

Sungmin looked at him accusingly. "You're leaving me." The question was half a statement. "Again."

"Yes. -No, I mean - I'd love to be here... I want to be here - and we both want to be here, I'm sure, but... we can't. At least not for this week." He tucked a lock of hair behind Sungmin's ear, already feeling horrible. Here Sungmin needed him and yet there was nothing he could do about the duties he still needed to attend to. The conference had been arranged months beforehand. "But I'll call." He promised earnestly. "Every day. Okay?”

"Fine." Sungmin sighed. The upset was clear in his voice, however, and he turned around with a huff and refused to face him, already emanating a brooding aura of gloom and unhappiness. “Then I need to prepare for the upcoming fanmeeting so we won’t be seeing each other again. Okay so this is the best Kyuhyun, yes I can feel it”

Kyuhyun reached towards Sungmin, attempting to call his attention because well, the pregnant man is throwing some honest to Kyuhyun again.

 "Sungmin-"

"Goodnight, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun heaved a silent, heavy sigh. This was turning out to be a little harder than he'd thought. After a moment's deliberation he decided to take the risk and wrapped his arms around him from behind, nuzzling into the crook of Sungmin's neck.

"I love you, Sungmin."

"Mhm." Came the disgruntled response. Sungmin didn't move, but then he hadn't tried to push him away either, so Kyuhyun supposed this was good enough, snuggled a little closer, and let themselves drift off to sleep.

 


 

Sungmin was going to be just fine. Kyuhyun thought.

But Kyuhyun was very wrong because on the third day they hadn’t met, it turned out to be one of the worst days of Sungmin's life.

"No, I'm NOT all right!" He seethed, almost screaming into the phone when Kyuhyun called to check Sungmin.

 "The santans look wilted, the heat is terrible, the air-conditioning broke down, and I can't sleep! I can't even cook anything properly because we don't have enough carrots from the refrigerator, and I need carrots! I've thrown up THREE times since morning, there was a horrendous, enormous spider in the kitchen, and and-- and - I've never felt more horrible in my entire life! And this is ALL HAPPENING BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GO AND GET ME PREGNANT! I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU!"

By the time he was done Sungmin was indeed screaming, and Kyuhyun had (figuratively) shrunk to about the size of a pea on the other end, since he had been shrinking back with each complaint, flinching more and more and now overwhelmed by the tidal wave of Sungmin's distress.

"Sungmin..." He finally managed, cringing, "Calm down-"

"Oh, I will. Once I get to call the police and allow me to murder you. Slowly. With big, nine-inch long nails. Do you know how many times I've had to visit the bathroom today?"

He swallowed. How was he to handle this? "Okay, uhmmm... is Yesung hyung. there? Or Ryeowook?"

"Yes, Kyuhyun, I'm here." Evidently Yesung had chosen that very moment to snatch the phone from Sungmin. Kyuhyun made a mental note to thank Sungmin’s hyung later.

"What is going on?" It was difficult to keep the frantic strain from his voice.

"Well,  his crankiness last week tripled," and a sigh escaped from Yesung.

Kyuhyun winced. "How are you holding up?

“Ryeowook  is the only reason why the house is still intact."

Kyuhyun sank his head into one hand. "That bad, huh?"

A small chuckle. "We'll survive. It looks like wook’s methods are a lot more... direct and practical."

As if on cue, Ryeowook's voice was now floating in from the background, stern and firm, though not raised. "...Sungminnie. Get a hold on yourself, please. A bad day is still no reason to..."

"Is he lecturing him?" Kyuhyun asked incredulously.

"Quite”

Ryeowook seemed to be finishing what he was saying. "... how worried Kyuhyun  must be – and Sungmin you're not helping."

There was a short pause of silence, and then the sound of Sungmin murmuring helplessly, "Oh god, wookie, I don't know. I don't know what I'm doing anymore. Or why I even -"

"...I think you'd better talk to him." said Yesung, and the phone was transferred.

"...Sungmin?" Kyuhyun ventured.

There was the barest choke. "I'm sorry." Sungmin whispered. "I'm sorry - I didn't -"

"Oh, no" Kyuhyun breathed, his grip tightening on the phone. "Don't cry Sungmin, please -"

It was so mundane a situation and so rare of Sungmin that Kyuhyun would have laughed, but he knew enough (especially from the baby books) about how emotionally stressful and upsetting the changes Sungmin was going through could be and - ah, - he'd heard that sob, soft as it had been. Sungmin was really crying...

"Oh Sungmin..." There was nothing Kyuhyun wanted more in that moment than to rush back home, gather him into his arms, and hold him. "It's all right..."

"Great. Now they're both going to start wailing." He could hear Yesung remarking from the other end.

Kyuhyun ignored the high probability of his statement and fought down the swelling lump of guilt in his own throat.

"Everything's going to be fine, you'll see." He tried soothing gently. "It's normal, it happens. Almost all women -"

"I'm not a woman!"

....

"I know, I know, of course not, I meant -" Kyuhyun ran a hand through his hair. Something occurred to him then and he checked his watch. Time. There was still a little less than two hours before the next shooting would start, if he could just -

"Look. I'll come over right now, okay? It won't be for long, but at least -"

"No," Sungmin's response was almost immediate. "No." He managed again, firmer this time despite choking back another sob. "Stay right where you are - that's an order. I'll... I'll be fine."

Kyuhyun pressed the phone closer. "...Are you sure?"

A deep breath. "Yes. I'm just... I probably just need to rest. My mind's a mess. My body's a mess. I'm not even sure why I..."

"I mean it, Sungmin, I can just say I am not feeling well."

There was a sigh, though he was almost certain Sungmin had smiled at that image. "If you walk through that door right now, Kyuhyun, I can't guarantee you'll be walking out of it again anytime soon."

Kyuhyun chose to take the positive interpretation of that statement over the more morbid one. "Okay, okay..."

"Don't worry too much about me. I'm in good hands."

"...I know, I..."

"And... I don't hate you." He said softly.

Kyuhyun almost laughed, if it weren't for the sudden welling of tears in his own eyes from the whole mixture of morose, relief and longing which flooded him. "I know that, too." He whispered.

And perhaps Sungmin had smiled again then (he hoped he had) but then "Wookie wants to speak with you."

"Okay."

And Ryeowook took the phone and poured out a flurry of steady reassurance. "Don't you worry about a thing, Kyuhyun," he said, and told him he would see if he couldn't get more carrots from the market, if Yesung could come down to see to the air-conditioning problems by the end of the day, and that he would make Sungmin a nice comforting bowl of pumpkin soup once all of this was over.

Kyuhyun didn't know where they would be without Sungmin’s manager and how else to thank him.

"Now go get yourself back to work. He's going to be fine."

"All right," Kyuhyun managed a smile. "Tell him I love him."

 


 

Sungmin groaned quietly and rubbed his hands over his face. Whatever his hormones were doing to balance themselves inside him had probably escalated this week and clearly wasn't giving him an easy time. However did women manage? With the vomiting, the trouble sleeping - and when everything else just seemed to keep going wrong? He'd spent the whole of the previous day just wanting to cry, (and he had, over the phone) and he was now feeling the same way all over again. It was a miserable, pathetic, helpless feeling - and the circumstances didn't serve to help - but he wasn't going to let the previous day's events repeat themselves, at least.

A moment passed. Sungmin took a deep breath, closed his eyes - and, for the first time since finding out that he was pregnant, spoke to the unborn child within him. 

I can't keep up like this, my little one... So please, please... if you can - let things settle in there... For both our sakes...

Of course, he doubted that the fetus would understand or even pick up on his desperation in any way, but it did help him feel like he had a slightly firmer grasp on things, and Sungmin let his hand linger gently on the warmth nestled in his abdomen, a small smile now gracing his lips.

Here was the cause of all his problems, and yet...

The phone rang then, breaking him out of his musing, and Sungmin reached over and answered it, already knowing who it would be.

"How's your day been so far?" Without even saying hello, Kyuhyun asked right away.

"Moderately disastrous. The stove went up in smoke, and now it won't light.”

The stove now? Kyuhyun winced inwardly. Sungmin seemed to be handling things better than he had the day before, though, at least... "Are you okay, then? Have you eaten anything? How're you feeling?"

Sungmin sighed. "Tired, hungry and miserable. But I'll live."

Kyuhyun bit his lip and took a long moment to respond. Never had he wished harder... to be able to just do something. There was nothing he could say which could actually make up for.

"You have no idea..." He finally managed hoarsely, "how much I wish I could be there right now."

"Even with the chance that I might still rip your head off any moment?" Sungmin made a weak attempt at joking.

"Even so."

There was a pause, and Kyuhyun could sense him smiling.

 "Come home soon." Sungmin said softly.

"I will." He promised. "We will. Things are set to wrap early, so we should be there in time for dinner. I'll call you again if there's any delay." He paused, now smiling too despite himself.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow evening then."

"Yeah... Take care, okay? Don't - don't do anything silly."

There was a small, disdainful snort. "I won't."

Kyuhyun smiled. "I love you."

And as expected, there was the abashed, slightly flustered halt.

"- Yes, yes. ...Shouldn't you be getting back to work?"

"I really, really love you." Kyuhyun kept at it, grinning fully now and only wishing he could be there to see the flush which had most probably already crept onto Sungmin's cheeks.

"I am going to hang up, Kyuhyun."

"Are you?" Kyuhyun pouted into the phone. "How mean..."

"Well, I can and I most certainly will."

"And yet you're still talking to me..."

"That's -"

He laughed softly. "All right, all right. But I really do."

"...I know." Sungmin finally replied, and Kyuhyun knew he was smiling again as well. "See you."

"See you," Kyuhyun returned warmly, and put down his phone just as a knock came on the door.

 


 

Later that evening, when Kyuhyun got home, and as they finally snuggled up in bed, Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around him and kissed his nose.

"How do you feel?"

Sungmin's smile was soft, contented - the morning's little embarrassing ordeal insignificant now that the reality and the quiet joy of the marriage had had the time to settle in.

“Overly joyful with gay rainbows everywhere,” and there goes the heavy sarcasm.

Kyuhyun laughed softly, mirthfully, one hand sliding up his arm to clasp his shoulder gently and pull Sungmin closer as he slowly deepened it - and Sungmin let him, pressing against him, his feet and ankles tangling with his, breaths warm and shallow when they finally parted.

"...You know we haven't really..." Sungmin murmured. "Since..."

Kyuhyun’s eyes doubled in size. Is Sungmin initiating some—but he didn’t protest because this chance is just one in a million.

"I know." Kyuhyun murmured back against his lips, smiling and closing his own eyes again.

"Hhmm." Was all Sungmin said. But Kyuhyun felt his smirk, got the message, and chuckled.

And so he kissed him again, long and deep, taking their tongues through a dance and leaving Sungmin breathless and panting slightly as Kyuhyun began to trail the kisses to the side of his face, grazing his ear with his teeth, feather-light, before he took the lobe into his mouth and . Sungmin had been about to tug down the waistband of Kyuhyun's pants but gasped, his hand gripping Kyuhyun's hip and his throat making soft noises of appreciation until Kyuhyun relented and moved on, kissing down his jawline to his neck.

Sungmin slipped a hand down Kyuhyun's pants, fingers finding him and deftly as Kyuhyun undid the first button of his nightshirt to kiss and at more skin, his other hand caressing Sungmin's side and back tenderly. Kyuhyun was about to thumb the second button through when he suddenly hesitated and looked back up, going almost rigid.

"Something wrong?" Sungmin asked huskily, kissing him again, and Kyuhyun tried very very hard not to react at the clever flex of Sungmin's fingers in that moment, because -

"What if the baby knows?"

That did it. Sungmin stopped, drew back, and looked at him as if he couldn't believe the words that had just come out from his mouth.

"What if the baby what?"

"What if the baby knows? I mean, I just realized - "

Sungmin almost choked. "The baby doesn't... won't know. How is that even possi -"

"Kid's intuition! You know... how some can always sense things adults can't? Or how they can... feel things when they're in the womb. See, the baby books all say is safe during pregnancy, but they never actually..."

Sungmin stared. "You can't be serious."

When Kyuhyun stared back, eyes wide and dead serious and his expression unwavering, Sungmin opened his mouth, closed it, opened it again - and finally managed with an incredulous, "I don't believe this."

"No, really - I mean, the brain has already started developing, right? What if it's going to inherit your level of intelligence? And -"

"Kyuhyun are you out of your mind? The have you... The baby doesn't know! Will you just -"

"But what if it does? No one actually knows for sure so I'm just saying -"

Very, very calmly, Sungmin took hold of his shoulders, closed his eyes, and said very, very slowly through gritted teeth, "Kyuhyun. The baby. Does. Not. KnowAnything. It will. Not. Know. Anything. I am barely three months pregnant. At this stage of development it is impossible for it to comprehend, process, or even sense what's going on outside, and even in later stages, there is no way it will ever perceive the nature of what we're..." He trailed off and opened his eyes to see Kyuhyun chewing a lip in uncertainty. "This whole theory of yours just isn't logical."

"Well I know it's kind of ridiculous but I was only wondering about the chances..."

"Gods." Sungmin groaned, dragging a hand down his face. "You know what, forget it. Just - forget it!" He reached and frustratedly adjusted the pillows behind his head before turning away in a huff.

"I can't believe I was actually impregnated by you."

"Okay, okay..." Kyuhyun reached for him sheepishly, apologetically, planting a kiss behind his ear as he hurriedly attempted to smooth his ruffled feathers.

"I said I was wondering. I get it, I get it, I'm sorry-- It's just... I just thought -"

"Good night." Sungmin said stiffly.

Apparently damage control had been enacted a little too late.

"Aww Sungmin don’t be like this..."

"GOODNIGHT!"

And just like that, he was thrown outside the room just in time Yesung showed up holding a glass of water, dressed in sleepwear and ready to retire to sleep until he saw Kyuhyun.

“Awww Kyuhyun.”

“Shut up!!”

 


 

a/n:  huhuhuh this is so long and i will congratulate you for trying to finish it until here huhuhu and please in exchange of a long update, a short comment won't hurt right? and yay for 1M views for the teaser and 91 upvotes for this fic and btw. I wrote a one shot Sungmin doesn't know please check it out and I am writing another chaptered fic too, Majestic Love