Ch. oo6

Up Here Where Nothing Matters

 

Hearing him say it so plainly, so simply made me realize, I did. I am. “You’re right.” I whisper seeing a gleam of light shimmer through my window. “We’re going to be there soon. We have the stop in Japan then Korea.”

“What are you going to do once you’re back in Korea?” L.Joe asks quietly.

Letting out a long sigh I look over at him. “Take some time off from flying I suppose. No way in hell is Miss Kim going to let me plane hop so soon.” Pausing I let out a chuckle. “I haven’t been to my room in such a long time.” I mumble trying to picture how dusty it has gotten, unless Nina actually cleans now. “I hope Nina has cleaned my room.”

“You live with her?”

Nodding my head I chuckle rearranging how I’m sitting, my leg brushes up against him, the feel of touching him made something in me churn, “Sorry.” He shakes his head. “Well, anyways, yeah. It’d be a bit pointless for me to have my own apartment with how often I’m out of the city.” Taking a breath I divulge another secret. “Besides I don’t even stay in the apartment all that much.”

“You’re telling me!” Nina says coming out from nowhere, also dressed casually now, walking by Nina waves at me.

“You’re done?” I ask raising my eyebrows, it isn’t a big deal seeing as it’s such a small passenger list, but seriously. Nina just nods her head taking a seat with the others. “Do you need to go over to them?”

“Naw, if CAP wants me he can call.” He chuckles. “What about you? Is Nina all you have?”

Chuckling I nod my head. “If you can believe it, I’m not always this great with people.”

“You seem so charming.” He jokes smiling. “Miyoung you should hang out with people more!”

“I don’t know, people normally mean trouble.” I whisper biting my lip; this is all supposed to end when we get to Seoul, nothing up here matters. I chant in my head over and over ‘nothing up here matters’.

“What about friends.”

I laugh bitterly, “I don’t really have too many considering my extensive record for trusting.” Taking a deep breath I look over at him. “L.Joe I’m sorry.” I whisper realizing how rude that last statement was. “I trust you.”

“I trust you, and that’s why I’m going to take you out with my friends, Nina can come and we’ll have a blast.” He says smiling; taking my hand he squeezes it quickly before letting go.

 

Maybe being on the ground isn’t all bad, L.Joe seems to be ok with everything that’s happened with him, maybe it’s time I stopped running myself, maybe it’s time I faced my fears.

 

“L.Joe?” I whisper looking out the window again.

“Neh?”

Gulping I grasp his hand. “I’m going to be in Korea for a while, and I’d like to try and fix my problems, do you think…” Trailing off I face him, him looking at me full of interest. “Do you think it’s possible to learn to be ok with everything? To trust and get past it all?”

L.Joe nods his head. “I’m trying, and trust me it isn’t easy but sometimes there’s something or someone you meet along the way that makes it worth it all.”

I smile at him. “I suppose I should take the first step then.” I whisper leaning a little closer, him coming closer.

Both of us lean in closer until our lips touch for a brief moment, but in that one little moment I felt a shock run through my body, like something in my life could finally bring that peace I’ve been trying to achieve by myself up here for so long. Pulling apart, me blushing, him a smile on his face. That moment changed something, something that hasn’t changed for me in the two years I’ve been a flight attendant, it mattered to me, the kiss, L.Joe, and they mean something to me.



 

Comment and Subscribe!!