Nine

Intricate Masquerade

 

 

It was announced to the whole school that exam week is coming in a week. He didn’t even start studying yet Jiyong felt like his head starting to explode. Enough juggling with jobs and schools, Jiyong recently discovered that being Choi Seunghyun’s runner was not that easy as he thought. It’s like babysitting a five year old kid in a body of nineteen year old boy. It’s so hard to cater Seunghyun’s needs. It has been a few weeks he continued playing as Seunghyun’s runner and all they ever did was bickering with each other over the most nonsensical matter that Jiyong could never think of. Talking about this made him remember about the conversation they had this morning.

 

“Don’t yell at my face!” Seunghyun’s loud voice made Jiyong narrowed his eyes, glaring.

“I am not yelling!” Jiyong can’t help but raise his voice at the same time.

“Yes, you are” The guy insisted.

“Well, maybe if you’re not slow like a freaking snail I won’t be yelling at you. The school’s gate is closing in 10 minutes, Choi” Jiyong grumbled as he slapped palm across his face.

“I can’t help it, okay. It’s not my thing. Relax, would you?” Seunghyun tried not to pout his lips.

“It’s not your thing? It’s the basic thing people should learn to do, Choi. Tying shoelaces is not that complicated” Jiyong’s feet were tapping on the ground as he kept on switching his eyes on his watch.

“Just shut up” Seunghyun mumbled under breath and tried his best pulling and tied the shoelaces into a ribbon but it just won’t keep still and the laces were coming undone. Jiyong could hear a string of curses out from the guy’s mouth, he shook his head in defeat. Bending down to Seunghyun’s level, Jiyong neared the guy and swats away the guy’s hand from his shoes. This guy is unbelievable. It’ll probably take months for Choi Seunghyun to tie his shoelaces and Jiyong can’t spare any second of it. He just can’t wait anymore so might as well do it for him.

“What are you doing?” Seunghyun was about to move his feet but Jiyong holds onto both of it and lifted his face. The guy were staring at him blankly, eyes widens with mouth gaped at Jiyong’s intrusion. Grabbing on those laces, Jiyong swiftly tied it like a master, making Seunghyun looked at his moving hands in awe.

“Finished. Can we go now?” Jiyong lifted his gaze, lowered his head when he realized the guy has been staring his face.

“Sure, Kwon” Seunghyun broke a wide grin on his face, standing up. Jiyong swears his face is heating up every time Seunghyun stared him. Clearing his throat, Jiyong glanced away as well as began his tracks, trying to shrug his embarrassment off.

“Why are you at my house anyway? Can’t we just meet at the school?” Jiyong said.

“Wasn’t it obvious? It’s because I want to walk to the school with you” Seunghyun scoffed.

“Why? To mess with my head in the morning?” Jiyong glanced at Seunghyun but the guy shook his head.

“I want to see your face first in the morning, that’s why” he could see a small smile formed on his lips and Jiyong felt his heart stopped.

Blood were rushing through his body and he could feel shivers-

Bang!

Unfortunately, like a clumsy person he was, Jiyong fell on his ungracefully, with his head spinning due to bump into the pole in front of him. It was throbbing painfully on the side of his head. Jiyong touched it and swears that it was starting to swell. Damn it. Urgghh. He tried his best to open his eyes and found Seunghyun was holding in his laugh, one hand was covering his mouth and another was on his stomach.

Brilliant. An embarrassment in the early morning.

“A-are you okay?” he could see Seunghyun was approaching him and tried to stop his laugh by clasping his mouth but failed greatly as he laughed out loud. Within that second, Jiyong stood up fast and ran.

 

So embarrassing, Jiyong thought as he rested his head on his desk, closing his eyes. First time in his life, he managed to get to school in just 5 minutes. Shaking his head to left and right lightly, Jiyong focused his attention on his textbook. He’s been slacking off lately in studying. Even though life is not being kind to him these days, the exams however won’t pity him just because burdens getting heavier on his shoulders. Diverting his eyes forward, his eyes stopped at his class monitor, Dong Yongbae smiling happily as he busy talking with his friends.

 

“I promised Dongwook hyung to take care of you before he left”

“…Just come when you’re all cool down and we’ll talk”

 

His grip on his pencil tightens as Jiyong felt his head spinning. The curiosity inside him was boiling yet Jiyong wasn’t sure if he’s ready to talk to Youngbae. After everything what he said, after everything he did, he wasn’t sure how to confront the guy. Nonetheless, Jiyong still needs to hear what the guy has to say about Dongwook hyung.  When the time comes, Jiyong will talk to Youngbae. Just stay like this, for now.

 

-

 

However, the time has come a little bit too fast, to his surprise. Jiyong sighed heavily under his breath. He didn’t even manage to prepare any speech or even words. The unexpected destiny, unfortunately, managed to bind him and Dong Youngbae tied in a situation where both of them could not run from each other. Due to his lack of attention, exercises and slacking in school for a couple of months, he was put into a special activity. Dong Youngbae is now his mentor and Jiyong is his mentee. In order to get Jiyog maintains his position as one of the top students, the teachers had specially arranged them both to be studying together for 2 hours after school. Their classroom teacher had even put them sitting next to each other.

“Do you want to study here or library?”

Jiyong snapped out his daze by the sound of Youngbae’s voice echoed in the empty classroom. He looked around and realized that there were only two of them in there. Jiyong switched his eyes to look on his white, blank notebook and gulped down his throat.

“Anywhere is fine with me” Jiyong said, looking at Youngbae’s face which occupied with a happy expression. Was it easy to smile at someone that used to hurt your feelings? Youngbae just smiled at him and pulled out a chair.

They were supposed to be studying. Together. Jiyong knows it. Youngbae also knows it. Yet rather than studying, they both were silently staring on their notes. There were no noise of scribbled pencils, neither flipped pages. He could hear Youngbae cleared his throat, a sign of uncomfortable, hesitant by the way his crimson eyes flicked to Jiyong for a second.

“I’m sorry if I made you nervous” Jiyong said with a straight face.

“It’s not you. I’m having a sore throat today” Youngbae bites his tongue as soon those sentences out. It was lame. A pretty lame excuse and he knew Jiyong didn’t buy it when the smirk was shown across his lips.

“Where should we start first?” Youngbae started. His hands extended out to flip through the chapters.

“How about we start with my apology first?”, and that made Youngbae turned fully to face him.

“Look, I’m really sorry for what I have said to you that day. I know that you’re just trying to help me and being nice. Also, there were stuffs that I wasn’t supposed to say but I was so frustrated and couldn’t hold in my anger anymore. That’s why I accidentally lashed out at you. So, in return would you accept my sincere apology?”

Jiyong presented a small smile as well putting out his hand for a handshake. Youngbae looked a bit doubtful, though he returned a warm smile to Jiyong and accepted his handshake.

“I would love too”

-

Seunghyun was pretty sure back then; that there will be no second thought about love. And there’s the but. The unexpected but. But everything was shoved into the second thought bucket after he met Jiyong. Wavered feelings, stirred emotions and gushed of weird sensations. He can see the change in him. In fact, he feels it. He wasn’t the type to get angry all the time unless people pick a fight with him so Seunghyun doesn’t have the answer why he did it. He doesn’t have the reason why he threatened Jiyong to be his runner in the first place.

“Why did you do that, hyung?” Daesung repeats again.

“I don’t know” Seunghyun answered, pulling down his hoodie, covering his smoky eyes and whirled his glass.

“Are you kidding me, Seunghyun?  Like seriously— this is a bully issue, man. If this ing news reached teachers, you’ll get your kicked out, dude” Taecyeon took a long drag from his cigarette and his chest expands as he in the smokes. The guy looked mad by the way his jaw tightens and his mouth twitched in bitter. Although, Seunghyun thanked that the loud booming music saved him from the long lectures of Professor Ok Taecyeon.

“Hyung, you already hit the second straw. I beg you, please don’t hit last one. Your name is already in the blacklist. I doubt that there’ll be any toleration. The principal hates you, hyung. He’s just waiting for you to hit the third one” Daesung shook his body and dramatically tears up causing Seunghyun to laugh on his face.

Fantastic, lectures from his friends. Just what exactly he needs.

“Calm your , boys” he blinked and then shifted his eyes on both of them. Regardless of their warning, Seunghyun’s tone sounds calmer than Taecyeon and Daesung expected him to be.

“No one is going to know about this. As long as you keep your mouth shut, the teachers can’t kick my out. It’s not going to be that easy” Seunghyun clicked his tongue and poured himself another glass. Daesung just continues to whine and shook his arms, causing some liquid to spill on his pants. Glaring on his right side, Seunghyun hears Daesung mutters sorry.  The boy gives up and dragged himself to another corner, sulking.

“We’re your friends, Seunghyun. Of course, we’ll keep out our mouth shut but how about Kwon Jiyong?” than question made his eyes flicked over to see Taecyeon.

“What do you mean?”

The guy pulled himself over the couch and straightened his body, dabbing the cigarette on the table. Taecyeon could see that he has grabbed Seunghyun’s full attention now so he took a deep breath and reached for a glass, deciding to take some time. Yet, Seunghyun keeps it away from his reach and turned it upside down.

“I said, what do you mean?” Seunghyun had a streak of anger painted across his face. His fingers can’t stop tapping on the table and calm was already thrown out from the window. Seunghyun was afraid that if the guy doesn’t speak for another second, he’ll grab him by the neck.

“Can you guarantee that er isn’t going to spill s to the teachers? He’s one of the student’s models after all. With his clean image, it’s not hard to get the teachers on his side, Seunghyun. Also, if you look from other’s perspective, it is clearly obvious Kwon Jiyong is the victim” Taecyeon said.

“That er’s name is Kwon Jiyong, Taecyeon” Seunghyun managed to grip on his glass, spats out in defence. He certainly doesn’t like Taecyeon referring Jiyong in a vulgar word.

“I would prefer you calling him by his name” Seunghyun cleared his throat, settling his lips in a long thin line as he stacked words in his mind.

“And Kwon Jiyong is not going to sell me out to save himself. He’s not that kind of guy. I know it” he said low, making one of Taecyeon’s eyebrow arched at his sudden change attitude.

“Are you sure? He doesn’t even like you, Seunghyun”

“How do you know that?” he was a little bit offended by the statement. Seunghyun resisted from throwing glares at his friend.

Everyone knows that, Seunghyun. It was obvious by the way he treat you” Seunghyun didn’t missed the way Taecyeon emphasized the word.

Really? How come he doesn’t know anything about it? Was he that oblivious?

“Stop with the crap already. You’re not making any sense” It seemed like the guy himself was a bit hesitant saying it. Nonetheless, Seunghyun put up a confident face so Taecyeon just nods his head, not really believing his words but just to drop the issue.

“We’ll see then” Seunghyun catches a glimpse on Taecyeon’s smirked and make a mental note to be aware of his friend. Taecyeon usually have that look when he had something in mind and Seunghyun has a bad feeling about it.

Suddenly, a slender hand settled on his shoulder so Seunghyun turned his head and smiles. The girl casually leans in for a hug.

“Hey, boys. Long-time no see” Bom planted a brief kiss on his cheek and spare a hug on each with Taecyeon and Daesung.

“What’s with the tense atmosphere? Did anyone get killed?” She giggled, mouth cupping over her spreading mouth. Taecyeon didn’t say a word, neither Daesung that has his eyes wandering around the club as if searching for something. Sensing the weird behaviour, Bom elbowed Seunghyun, telling him to spill it. He winced a bit, trying hard not to curse out loud.

“It’s nothing. Just bunch of guy’s stuff” Seunghyun leaned back and folded his legs, arms spreading over the couch.

“What are you doing here? I thought you’re busy with the blind date. The clock didn’t hit twelve yet, Bom nuna. You’re supposed to be at home right now” Seunghyun asked, diverting the attention.

“Oh please, don’t even talk about it. The guy is a jerk and I should have kicked his nuts for the second time” Bom said. She took the glass from Seunghyun’s hand and chugged it in one go, leaving the guy stared her dumbfounded.

“Really? What happen, nuna?” Daesung joined in, ears wide open.

“Well, at first the date was fine. We had steak for dinner and decided to take a stroll at the park. He sent me home after. He gave me flowers but before I could get in the house, he asked for a kiss! Can you believe it? On the first date!” She heaved out a breath.

“Umm… Isn’t it supposed to be like that for a date?” Daesung asked while scratching his head and Bom’s mouth was gaped out wide.

“What?? No! Of course not! Not on the first date especially. Plus, I’m not that kind of girl. So I told him that I’m not going to kiss him and the guy even dare to ask me to sleep with him! Gosh, I can’t believe this” The girl gulped down another drink and Seunghyun thought that she had enough of it.

“Okay, Bom nuna. Come on, I’ll send you home. Bye guys. See you at school”

-

Jiyong threw away the garbage into the dark corner and heaved a breath. That was the last one. Straightened up his back from crouching a little too long, Jiyong decided to take a sit on the box scattered outside. Tonight was bit colder than any days, maybe because of his thin clothes. His hands rubbed on each sides, trying to warmed up his body.

“Here, Jiyong hyung” Seungri suddenly come up to him with a cup of hot coffee. Quietly mumbling a thank, Jiyong takes the cup in his hands. He sipped it a little but coughed when his tongue burned.

“Oops, sorry. I forgot to mention that it’s still hot” Seungri said, sheepishly grinned and Jiyong slapped him on the shoulder jokingly.

“Aishh…you kid. It’s on purpose, right?”

“No, hyung. I told you I forgot” Seungri pouted and Jiyong just smiled. “Anyway, hyung. Are you okay recently? You looked really tired”

“I’m fine, Seungri” Jiyong answered short, palm touched on his cheek. Does it show on his face?

“I’m serious, hyung. You looked really exhausted this week. Just quit the job if you can’t handle it”

“I told you. I’m okay. Stop worrying over silly things” Jiyong said firmly.

“If you really need money, I’ll find another suitable job for you like being a tuition teacher maybe?” Seungri came up with a suggestion, drew Jiyong to narrow his eyes.

“Seungri” Jiyong said in a stern voice.

“Jiyong hyung” the boy copied him.

“Look. I’m fine working here. It’s not affecting my study neither my health so stop spouting nonsense. You’re bringing my mood down”

“Okay then. Just don’t forget to take care of your health because by that time arrives I will say I told you so” Seungri gave up and sighed loud.

“I’m getting inside. Just stay if you need to rest for a while” Seungri tapped on his shoulders and Jiyong nodded, watched the younger boy slips behind the door.

After finishing his drink, Jiyong gets up and threw away the paper cup. He wiped off the dust from him and ready to get inside but then a sight of familiar body stopped him. Jiyong takes a couple of steps closer to confirm. It’s Seunghyun. Jiyong tilted his head and leans on the wall next to him. The guy had his hands in his pockets, feet kicking stones away. He feels his heart softens when he saw a smile on Seunghyun’s lips. It was heart-warming and he could feel himself melts, bloods rushing in him.

He had felt these feelings before. It has happened to him back in the past and it’s happening again now, like a déjà vu. His fingers touched at the back of his neck lightly, lips kept tight in a line. When did this happen? Why? How? With whom? Images were running rashly inside his head and his eyes flicked when it stopped.

“Dongwook hyung” his mouth silently whispers unexpectedly.

Blinking what just he said, Jiyong shook his head and denied all the feelings. It’s a mistake. No. He’s not feeling all of this. It’s just impossible for him to like Choi Seunghyun. He must be confused. Yes, after all Choi Seunghyun did messed up with his mind, he nodded, reassuring himself. Jiyong sauntered slowly from behind, wanting to surprise Seunghyun. He just had to smile thinking that he’ll surprise Seunghyun. He wonders what kind of expression will they guy show.

Right after that, a girl in heels came up to him and locked arms with Seunghyun. The guy beams cheerfully, planting a big smile for her and lets out a couple of chuckle. Jiyong stopped from proceeding and froze on his spot, smile faltered. Seunghyun and the girl walked side by side with arms locked and smiling at each other. It hurts, Jiyong could feel it inside. Like a needle punctured on his heart, it was subtle but the stings lingered for a couple of seconds. The picture of the couple being sweet to each other hurts him so Jiyong turned around, getting inside the club.

-

“You ditched the date, didn’t you?” Seunghyun turned to face Bom. Her eyes went big, mouth gaping widely, looking at him incredulously and stuck for a moment.

“What? Pshhh.. No! Of course not. Why would I do that?-”                                    

“Bom nuna” Seunghyun said her name in a firm voice, She avoided Seunghyun’s eyes and stilled. Her shoulders dropped down in defeat and she turned to Seunghyun, pouting at him.

“Was it that obvious?” she blinked at him and he nodded his head.

“The story was awful and I nearly cringed at the exaggeration, nuna. You should have created a better story to fool me but then again, I’m not that easy to fool” He smiles at her. She nodded her head, agreeing at his statement. It’s not like they just knew each other anyway. Bom slipped her arms around Seunghyun’s and leaned on his shoulder.

“I don’t think I’m ready to fall in love again. After he left us, I’m not sure about this whole thing. I mean, I don’t even know what I need” she clarified.

“You need to fall in love in order to forget your last love, nuna” Seunghyun said simply and she hits him on the chest.

“He’s my fiancé, Seunghyun. It’s easy for you to say. For a guy that has never be in love and never believes in it, I suggest you to shut up first” Bom lightly punched his arm.

“Gosh, it’s not that hard, Bom nuna. When there’s a will, there’s a way. You just have to make up your mind and please don’t talk about me that way. It’s not like love can feed me anyway” Seunghyun shrugged carelessly. Bom just have to giggle at his stubbornness. Likewise, Seunghyun is still ignorant about love like he was 12 years ago.

“It’s painful, Seunghyun; to forget about him, memories with him. I can’t do it. You know, it’s like your chest is being stabbed with thousands of knives and your heart keeps on throbbing so much that I thought it will burst. And the worst part is you can’t even do anything about it but to cry” she could feel her eyes watering but Bom just clasped and inhales.

“Was it really painful?” he faced her and saw her sour face.

“Yup. You’ll know it when you fall in love with someone. Happy, angry, jealousy, sad, those feelings will come unattended, before you even realize it, you already fell deep in love” Bom chuckled when saw he was making a confused face.

The guy got his eyebrow creased, weird as he found himself thinking of Jiyong at this moment. The dark pools of eyes with empty gaze, the button nose, his cherry lips; Seunghyun shook his head and shoved every single thought far in the back.

“It has been 10 months, nuna. You should forget about it already and hyung would probably want you to do so” Seunghyun said, tilting his head upwards.

“I guess so” Bom said, blinking as she thought deeply. “I’ll try, Seunghyun. I’ll find someone new and fall in love again”

“Good” he looks at her and gives a small smile.

-

Unluckily, today is the day he’ll be setting his foot on the rooftop again. It seemed like Seunghyun was already there since he could smell the burnt smell of ashes by the time he pushed the door open. Jiyong was expecting to greet a vicious smirk but his face softens when Jiyong saw Seunghyun sleeping with an arm against his forehead. He moves slowly, tries not to make any sound.

The way light illuminating his face is almost perfect. Jiyong gulped in his saliva. His brows were creased then, maybe because of the sun. The look of him sleeping is handsome but Jiyong quickly shook the thought away. Agitatedly, he pulled his hand and tried to shade Seunghyun’s face from the sun. His brows back to normal again and his lips were pulled a bit.

Jiyong takes some time getting a better view of him. His eyes landed on his eyes, nose and his lips. He wondered what he is dreaming about because seemed like he was smiling. There are couples of feature that Jiyong found a bit similar to Dongwook hyung, excluding his nasty attitude.

“Can’t get enough of me, huh?” he speaks in a sudden.

Jiyong startled upon it as he pulled his hand and about to get up, but Seunghyun grabbed his hand in the place back.

“Don’t…” He puts his hand above his face, continue shading him over the sun.

“I like this way better. In fact, I can get a better view of your face then without the sunlight dazzling my eyes” Seunghyun curled a mischievous smile. His heart raced, fast and Jiyong felt tingling all over his body.

“Stop playing around” Jiyong said and Seunghyun lets go of his hand. Jiyong puts up a serious face, tells his heart not to beat.

They sat next to each other after that. Silence engulfed both of them. Jiyong darted his gaze on Seunghyun that was awkwardly sitting up with his back stiff, moving again and again as he keeps changing his positions uncomfortably.

Now that he thinks about it, Choi Seunghyun absolutely reminds him of Dongwook hyung. The pair of dark brown eyes, black silky hair and those seemingly long legs; everything almost the same except for attitude. Snarky cold remarks, flirty gazes and rude gestures are complete opposite from kind and friendly Choi Dongwook. Dongwook hyung is far off better with his charming smile. Right, Jiyong could feel his lips curled. He missed Dongwook hyung’s charming smile.

“What’s with the long stare? Why? Am I that handsome?” Seunghyun said, chuckling. It was a joke trying to break the ice around them but rather than receiving the usual glare, Jiyong turned away and pulled up his knees to chest. Palms are starting to rub across his arms, calming his heavy heart.

“No. It’s just…you reminds me of someone” Jiyong said. Seunghyun’s face changed.

“Who? Your girlfriend?” Seunghyun tried again, cracking a joke as he smiles. The boy chuckled once and Seunghyun swears there were butterflies flying around his stomach.

“No…It’s my… brother” Jiyong paused.

“You know, when I was a seven years old kid, I had a dream which is a brother. A brother for me to hold on, take care of me and fight for me when I was in danger. I was the only child until I was sixteen years old so I thought that it was just another dream that will never come true. And one day, that dream become a reality and I couldn’t help but smiling all day long” Seunghyun saw a small smile curled up as the boy speaks.

It was beautiful.

“I got him, a brother for me to hold on, that’ll take care of me and fight for me. He was like my superman because every time I need him, he was by my side as always.  He was so special that I would even die for him. I like him very much but…one night changed everything” Jiyong inhaled his breath.

“Those hands, those calming gaze and the low voice which used to comfort me, so suddenly, had become so unfamiliar…” Seunghyun noticed those slender fingers were clutched against Jiyong’s chest and so he waited for a couple of words to come out. The continuation. The end. The solution to his story.

But it never came.

“Sorry, I got carried away” Jiyong blew out, puffing his cheeks.

“Here are your notes. I should get going before the third period starts” Jiyong shoved his hands into the pockets after gave Seunghyun his notes and turned, moving towards the door.

“What happened?” Seunghyun brave himself to ask.

Blame on his curiosity. The boy was stilled upon the question, hesitating whether to answer or ignore. Jiyong was surprised that he opened the story to Seunghyun. He doesn’t even know why but he just felt like it. Sparing Seunghyun a glance, Jiyong decided to close his mouth and left.

-

Jiyong yawned widely and clasped his mouth afterwards. Day by day passed, exam was getting nearer in the blink of eye. Not many things have changed though. His mother was outing with her other friends, doing who-knows-what and his father did get back home yesterday. They didn’t met. Jiyong knew about it because his father had left a note on their dining table.

I’ll be going on a business trip. Study hard.

That was the only thing his father jotted down. As if he was in a hurry that he didn’t have time to spend on writing him a proper note. What a joke, Jiyong scoffed. It was not a first time neither second, he’s been doing it a countless time that Jiyong can barely care anymore. His father did leave them an envelope filled with money. It was quite a lot, enough for a year maybe. However, Jiyong didn’t think of quitting his job yet. He needed the money in case for emergency. Who knows what his mother’s up to nowadays by rarely come home? He wonders if she’s doing fine out there.

“Kwon Jiyong!” one of his classmates yelled out and he sprung from his seat.

“There’s someone looking for you” the guy speaks again. Someone? Is it Seunghyun? Jiyong gets out from his seat and walked to the door, halting in his tracks when he saw a familiar figure.

 “Hey, friend” there was again the smirk.

-

He tried to escape from them by running away but it backfired. The small boy was pushed back, his back meeting to hard wall a bit hard making him hissed at the pain.  Jiyong looked up and saw Taecyeon hands him money.

“Aren’t you going to take it?” Taecyeon asked in his hoarse voice. Knowing that he’s at disadvantage, he obediently reached out for the money and crumpled it in his palm.

“Buy me a box of cigarette”

“What?” Jiyong asked in a disbelief voice.

“You heard me” Taecyeon tilted his head to the side and moved back, giving Jiyong some space.

“But why me?” Jiyong managed to ask.

“Because you’re Seunghyun’s runner, isn’t it?” he looked up.

“What? No, I’m not. We’re… friends” Jiyong tried to say it without rolling his eyes but the glare in Taecyeon’s eyes shows that his lie didn’t faze the guy.

“Stop lying, I know the truth already” Taecyeon swung his arms around Jiyong, making him conscious of the short distance between them.

“Did Choi Seunghyun tell you?”

“Yes but I figure it out already back then. Plus, Seunghyun doesn’t befriend someone that easy. It takes a lot of time and effort to win him and seeing how awful you are, it’s obvious he doesn’t consider you as a friend” Taecyeon answered lazily. Jiyong narrowed his eyes at his answer. No wonder Seunghyun grows up as a rude bastard, his friends are the exact clone of him.

“Fine, what if I am? I am his runner anyway. Not yours, so take this money and leave me alone” he shoved him the money and squeeze his body out but again, Taecyeon him to the wall. Harder this time and Jiyong finds the world whirling, head fell into dizziness.

“You’re too stubborn for your own good, Kwon Jiyong. This is my first and last warning. Stay away from Seunghyun. You’re only going to bring him trouble” Taecyeon clasped over his mouth but then Jiyong managed to blow a kick to Taecyeon’s leg. The guy fell down on his , cursing a string of curses as he glared at Jiyong, half-chuckling at the boy’s action.

“Listen, it’s not like I wanted to stay with Choi Seunghyun anyway so don’t worry, I’ll try to keep my distance away from now on” Jiyong said on a low voice. Not even wait a minute, Jiyong turned around and decided to find himself an exit.

“Maybe Seunghyun always helped you whenever you’re in trouble but it’s not like he wanted to. It’s just he wanted to use you. Plus, Seunghyun’s just playing with you because he’s bored” the steps were trailing behind him.

“And Choi Seunghyun is Choi Dongwook’s brother” the last sentence rings in his eardrum, making his knees go weak and steps slowly faltering. Carefully, Jiyong turned his heels around and saw Taecyeon’s smirk crept on his lips. Probably, due to success in grabbing his attention.

“I don’t think you know so I guess I should just at least notify you this. This sole reason should make you stay away from him isn’t it?”

Jiyong gulped his saliva down his throat and burned his eyes on Taecyeon. Gripping on his fist, Jiyong tried to not lose his composure. This is impossible. It’s far from impossible. Choi Seunghyun couldn’t be Dongwook hyung’s little brother. His breath turned shaky and his heart dropped somewhere in the corner.

It was suddenly become stuffy here.

-

The next few days went as usual, walking to the school with Choi Seunghyun, doing his homework and having lunch with him. Jiyong thought the fact about Choi Seunghyun is Choi Dongwook’s brother won’t bring any change.  Nonetheless, his eyes keep seeing Dongwook hyung in Seunghyun. And his heart can’t stop leaping in return. The fact that his shadows were haunting him made Jiyong afraid; afraid that he’ll lose his composure, the hard work, the pretence that he’s been holding all this time will crumble.

“Here” Jiyong threw the note book and it landed on top of Seunghyun’s face. The guy snapped his eyes, groaning after being woken up in such manner. His eyes blinked and squinted at the sunlight, picking up the notebook.

“What’s this?”  Seunghyun turned, looking at the boy.

“Your homework” Jiyong said.

“That was fast” Seunghyun said.

It was just yesterday he gave Jiyong the homework. He flipped through the pages, half impressed at the answers were all scribbled with pencils. His writings are neat and clean like Jiyong himself. The thought made him smiled. Although, he barely cared if Jiyong completed his homework or not, he was glad that Jiyong do it with so much hard work.

“If you don’t have anything to do with me, I’m going back to my class” Jiyong said, turning away.

Seunghyun quickly gets up and reached for his wrist.

“Hey, aren’t you going to stay? The third period is going to finish anyway. Just sleep for a while because you look tired” Seunghyun tried his best to convince the boy, almost stuttering. He tried to resist from forming a smile. The graze between their skin made his heart flutters and Seunghyun wished they could go on like this all day, hand in hand.

“I’m fine” Jiyong answered, still not looking at Seunghyun.

“Are you sure?” Seunghyun moved to face Jiyong but the boy moves the other way as if avoiding him. Seunghyun went clueless for a minute. He lets go Jiyong’s hand and forced a smile.

“Are you mad at me?” he asked out of concern.

“Did I do something wrong?-”

However, not even managed to finish his words, Jiyong had rudely cuts him off.

“Of course not. Why would I be? I owe you didn’t I? So it’s my time to show you my gratitude” Jiyong said with a low voice.

His voice was weak these past days, Seunghyun realized. And with that Jiyong dragged his feet out from the roof top. Seunghyun gripped his fist as he looked at his shoes. Unlike his predictions, Jiyong complied like an obedient dog nowadays. There was no more tug of war between them. Every single thing he asked, the boy will nod his head right away and do it without any spoken words. There were no more glares sent towards him. No more rush of excitement or chills because Jiyong had stopped looking at him.

Seunghyun can no longer reach the pair brown orbs of him because the fixed gaze was so far away. The guilt was starting to form and Seunghyun could feel his stomach churned uncomfortably. He didn’t like this feeling, his lips turned upward. There goes his hope to have a moment with Kwon Jiyong.

Great job, Choi Seunghyun”

-

Usually Seunghyun would go hanging out around the club with his friends on Friday night or continue harassing Kwon Jiyong like he would always do. Somehow, he didn’t feeling it tonight. Seunghyun, however, found himself knocking on the door of his cousin’s house, simply wanted to bother him despite the night almost hit midnight.

 It was chilly and the wind was refreshing, the moon was shining on top of the sky and the little stars helped brighten up the night. Seunghyun took a last long deep inhale and flipped the cigar away, stepping on it afterwards. There are cigarettes scattering around on the ground and empty boxes of cigarettes. Sigh. It has been a long night. He can barely remember how much smokes he swallowed down his throat since smoking was the only activity he did for tonight. His brother once said that smoking can help him to drive the stress away. Unfortunate for him, those words fades along with the blowing wind because his head felt heavier and his heart is not at calm after all of the smoking.

“Bull” Seunghyun scoffed and bite a laugh.

He massaged his temples and shut his eyes firm. His trusted hyung was fooling him and he fell for it. What a nasty jerk. He could imagine his hyung’s face occupied with amused expression. Accompanied by a gleeful laugh and calm words that’ll manage to make Seunghyun forgives him in an instant. His hyung is the only place where he can turn and search for comfort. Seunghyun chinned up as soon as the door opened, revealing Dong Youngbae in his robe, squinted eyes staring for a while.

“Don’t you have a watch? It’s almost 12 in the morning, Seunghyun” the guy yawned tiredly. Seunghyun shrugged as through like it’s not matter at all and made his way in without invited. Youngbae can only shook his head in defeat and sighed, closing the door.

“You’re lucky that my parents out for outstation. If my mom’s here, you’ll definitely get an earful from her” Youngbae said and Seunghyun scoffed.

“That’s why I’m here now. I wouldn’t come if I knew uncle and aunt will be at home” Seunghyun replied bluntly, clicking his tongue.

Moving to the kitchen, Seunghyun pulled out a glass and poured himself a glass of water. Youngbae came to his side and pulled out a chair, taking a seat then with a face stamped on the dining table. His eyes were closed shut, mind dozing off a little bit yet before Youngbae­­­ could drift to his dreamland, Seunghyun kicked his chair, startling him.

“Hey, cousin. Cook me some ramen. I’m hungry. I haven’t had my dinner yet” and so the guy ruffled his hair, twitching his lips in irritation.

“It’s midnight, Seunghyun. Who eats ramen 12 in the morning? You’ll get a stomach ache and your dad will scold me if he knows I’m feeding you unhealthy food” Youngbae was about to slump back and closed his eyes though his lovely cousin doesn’t seem to appreciate his concern and went on kicking his chair, repeating it until Youngbae stood up straight fast and threw him a glare.

“Come on, Bae. Do me a favour or I’ll bug you till the sun rise. I’m sure you don’t like the idea” Seunghyun sheepishly smiled like an innocent kid, resting his cheeks on top of his hands.

“Gosh, you’re such a kid” Youngbae decided to give up, doesn’t want to prolong the fight anymore because he knows that he’ll end up losing anyway. Seunghyun just plastered a wide smile and watched as his cousin moved his and started to cook him instant noodles.

“Don’t forget kimchi as a side dish” Seunghyun reminded Youngbae.

“Gosh, I’m so going to rip off your face. Thanks to your father for adopting you or both of us won’t be cousins” Youngbae mumbled under his breath.

-

“Damn, your ramen sure tastes good. I’ll make sure I come here again whenever I feel like eating instant noodles” Seunghyun burped loudly causing Youngbae to look at him disgusted.

“Aren’t you going to tell me what made you come here? You haven’t been here like 2 months. Can you please tell me what’s bothering you so that we can get this over with quickly and I can also continue my sleep?” the guy yawned again, covering his mouth with the back of his hand.

Seunghyun shifted in his chair, shoulders rounding awkwardly. He kept his eyes fixed on his glass as he thinks, how and where to start this conversation without coming out weird. Without sounding concern. Chugging up to his last drink, Seunghyun pulled out a long exhale and nervously looked up to Youngbae who seemed to be looking rather sleepy.

“Can I ask you something personal, Bae?”

“Just ask, Seunghyun” the guy murmured, still in daze.

“Do you like Kwon Jiyong?” those crimson eyes turned wide and blankly searched for Seunghyun’s gaze that was full of intensity.

“What are you saying?” Youngbae squinted his eyes again to focus on the person infront of him.

“Can you please answer my question instead of asking me with a question?” He huffed angrily.

“I thought you already know my answer, Seunghyun” Seunghyun was fidgeting on his seat, seemingly not comfortable with chair he seats on no matter how many times he changes his posture, ended up settled in awkward posture. This is rare, he thought.

“So you do like him” Seunghyun said, clicking his tongue.

Youngbae can’t figure out whether it’s a statement or a question but one thing that piqued his interest right now is Choi Seunghyun letting his guard off. He’s losing his composure, fail to settle down with ease. Youngbae didn’t answer him and let the long stretch of silence hovered both of them. Seunghyun felt his hands curling, itching to touch something.

“Aren’t you going to smoke?” Youngbae asked making Seunghyun’s eyebrow arched in question. His cousin nudged at his fingers.

“Already emptied two boxes of it. There’s nothing left anymore” Seunghyun ran his long fingers through the dark locks, ruffling it a little. He had waited for Youngbae’s words but it didn’t come. Instead, Seunghyun received a fit of laughter straight on his face.

“What’s so funny?” Seunghyun tried to sound mad yet it didn’t scare the guy enough and brings another joyful laugh from Youngbae.

“You” Youngbae pointed out towards him as he collected his breath. “Were you that anxious?” Youngbae asked.

“What? No!”

“Yes, you did!”

“I did not, Bae” Seunghyun blew hairs from his face as well groaned in dissatisfaction.

“Then, why are you asking me a weird question? In the midnight especially?” Youngbae continued, doesn’t even thinking of stopping.

“It’s not weird! It’s a question…out of curiosity” the brunette tried not to stutter as he speaks.

“And I asked you this because you’re his friend, being there whenever he’s in trouble, lending him a hand even when he rejected you, stayed by his side and fight against me, and writes him notes. A-and…and at some point- Somehow, I completely don’t get it, at all” those words rushing out like bullets that Seunghyun finds himself gasping after finishing his sentence.

“Which part that you don’t get it?” Youngbae was also starting to get confuse with Seunghyun’s words.

“Everything”

“What?”

“You heard me, Bae”

“What are you talking about, Seunghyun?”

“I don’t know, man. I really don’t know” Seunghyun laid his head on the chair, trying to sit in the most comfortable position but failed miserably. He ends up rising from his sit and gazing out the window, getting some space to think. There are a lot of questions he had wanted to ask, it was piling in the bucket of his mind an hour ago but it seemed to be evaporated along with his anxiety and worries.

“I made Jiyong as my runner” Seunghyun began, looked over his shoulder, waiting for his cousin to say something. They guy just looked at him like he lost his mind so Seunghyun decided to continue.

“I don’t know why I did it- Okay, maybe I did…a little. But the reason is not very clear so don’t ask me why and I think I’ve done something wrong” Seunghyun blurted out, fast.

“You think?” Youngbae’s jaw was opened wide.

3…

2…

1…

“WHAT THE HELL, SEUNGHYUN?”

 It was loud, freaking loud that made Seunghyun felt like an . It’s not that bad, right?

“I am just mad because he ignored me okay. And stop yelling at me like I’m the bad guy”

“You are the bad guy, Seunghyun!” Youngbae continued yelling despite his words of irritation

“I just wanted to ask if- I mean if you- if he… Did he say anything about me?”

Okay—so the first question that has been wandering far too long his mind just out from his mouth. Seunghyun turned his back and watched at the Mohawk guy, waiting and anticipating at the same time.

“I know that you are close to him so please tell me” Seunghyun felt his palm sweating. Rubbing his hands altogether and slides it in his pockets.

“Wait—you’re telling me that you’re here in 12 in the morning just to know what Jiyong said about you. Why? What happened? Did he stop doing homework for you? You both got into a fight again isn’t it?” Youngbae said, folding arms against his chest.

“No, none of that happened”

“Then, what’s with the long face. You should at least be grateful that he’s still keeping up with that behaviour of yours. I don’t get it why he even agreed to be your slave”

“Watch your mouth, Bae. It’s called making friends” his eyes snapped, fingers gripping on his glass.

“Your deal is him being your slave, Seunghyun. I don’t see any benefit from your proposed deal” he said at length.

“I wouldn’t call it slave though. It sounds pretty excessive and quite exaggerated. I call it as ‘making friends’ but it’s up to you”

This talk is getting nowhere, Youngbae thought deeply.

 “Look, Jiyong is not someone you can be friends just because of curiosity. He’s more than that so I hope if you really want to be friends with him, treats him nice. He deserves it. If you’re not even planning to treat him good, leave him and stay away” This time, Youngbae’s expression was tense implicating that he was serious with his words.

“Wow, now you sound like my brother” Seunghyun applauded, mocking.

Nevertheless, Seunghyun knows that Youngbae was more than right. Everything came out from his mouth was disturbingly true. In spite of what he uttered out, Seunghyun refused to admit. Yes, it was purely out of curiosity. Everything regarding Kwon Jiyong amused him, keenly interested despite the cold remarks the boy threw at him. Before, the boy was an interesting doll and he thought that it was fun playing with him.

But now, Seunghyun wasn’t even sure anymore. Kwon Jiyong foolishly does whatever Seunghyun had asked now, there was no longer intense atmosphere created between them yet the fun is starting to fade away. It was no fun playing anymore. He couldn’t make out what made him keep on sticking around Kwon Jiyong. The feelings inside his chest were also becoming more complicated for him to figure out.

“Say whatever you want, I won’t let go of him” Seunghyun insisted, looking at Youngbae and saw the guy crooked his brow.

“Why not?” Youngbae asked, Seunghyun turned to him and looked down on is glass. Seunghyun blinked hard, twice so the words dived into the core of his brain.

Because I like him, Seunghyun had the urge to say it but instead-

“Because he owes me his life” Seunghyun said in a loud voice to convince Youngbae. His cousin stared at him for a while and shook his head.

“You’re crazy” his cousin finally said it and decided to ignore Seunghyun. Getting up, Youngbae fixed his robe, wrapping it over his toned body. Seunghyun heard his cousin mumbled under his breath and he has the urge to nod his head, agreeing with the Mohawk guy.

I guess I am, Seunghyun thinks as he placed his palm over his nape.

 

_________________________________________

 

A/N: Hey.. Long time no see. Sorry for the late post. I really can't give you any guarantee about the chapters update but I'm doing my very best here. I'm so sorry if you guys bored of waiting yet I can't actually help it because of some situation I can't avoid from. Maybe you guys can finally see how the plot is going to play from this chapter... or not. If there's anyone that still confused about the story. Please, feel free to ask :) Actually, the next chapter is already 80% written so if you guys are lucky. You'll probably get another chapter by today. I know that my slow pace is so tiring but Istill hope you guys can understand. Anyway, thank you so so so much for the lots of love and comments for this story. Thank you for those who voted up and subscribed this story, I really didn't know if I deserved it though but I appreciated it so much. And for those silent readers out there, thank you for still sticking with this story, your atention is enough to bring me tears of joy. LOL.  Hope you'll enjoy this chapter and please leave me comments :) I'll see you guys soon. (I hope :P)