Eight

Intricate Masquerade

 

 

“I like you, oppa. Please accept this” the high pitched tone breaks the ice between them. The girl bowed down, almost bending to her knees as her hands extended out towards him with a gift along that was presented along with a love letter on top of it. The guy stared at her, unamused, looking back at the gifts.

His name is Choi Seunghyun. Age, 19 years old. His bad habit is smoking and currently known as the troublemaker in school and discipline teacher is his enemy.

“Please, take this” she said again in low tiny voice. Seunghyun wanted to say something but nothing came out from his mouth. There’s nothing really he can say at the moment. He doesn’t feel like talking to a stranger. He could care less if she likes him or not, Seunghyun still didn’t like the fact she was looking at him with so much affection.

“You don’t have to give me the answer now. I’ll wait for you” The girl took his hands without shame and put the gift in his holds, quickly retreating back after shyly smiled and waved a goodbye. A couple of girls came behind the bushes and gaggles of girly voices reached his ears, making him cringed.

His eyes diverted back to his hands and opened the gift. It was home-made cookies; lots of them in a heart-shaped. Seunghyun narrowed his eyes at this, mouth crooked a little. Tchh. What is he? A ing kid? Looking around, Seunghyun caught a sight of trash bin and walked. It wasn’t his first time getting a confession from girls. There are lots of times and many kinds of people met him, giving him thousands of candies, chocolates and presents, with a little hope for him to return their feelings. Seunghyun fought a laugh back in his throat.

And one thing about Choi Seunghyun you need to know is he doesn’t believe in love and didn’t even get to know about it. Rather more than he doesn’t want to actually. He once crushed on Park Bom, his best friend but it was only for a moment and nothing too serious. Seunghyun guessed the reason he was attracted to his best friend was maybe related to his hormones. He gave up on her when he knows she got her eyes on his brother. It was okay, Seunghyun remembered he told himself. After all, Bom nuna deserved his brother instead of him.

Being raised in the orphanage home together with his brother, Seunghyun learns to mature at a very young age. While his brother was leaning towards trust and love, Seunghyun had made up his mind and gave up on it long time ago. Ever since he knows the truth that their parents abandoned them at the orphanage home, Seunghyun has shut the door of his heart. Love is only joke to his ears. People changed at the end of the day so trust is not something he would spare easily.

“Stupid” There will be no way he’s going to give them a chance. He hangs the gift in the midst of air, looking at it again before decided tossing it in the trash bin.

 

-

 

“What can I do for you, sir?” those beautiful jaws were clenched tight as Jiyong spicily spats out in front of the customer. Dark chuckles from the man in front just made him burning all over again, eyes forced shut and sharp inhale was heard.

“Aren’t you going to flaunt your beautiful smile like you did to other customer? I’m going to report your petty attitude to your manager if you’re not treating me nice, Kwon” Seunghyun said, leaning against his palm comfortably. Those lips were kept in a straight line, amusement no longer found in his eyes.

A loud sigh escaped. Seunghyun is not satisfied.

He doesn’t like the way those pretty smiles faltered upon seeing his face. He didn’t like the way those brow turned tense when they’re switching glances. And he definitely doesn’t like how Kwon Jiyong doesn’t please at his presence. Seunghyun let his eyes travel on the petite frame in front of him. A couple of buttons were left opened, giving a glimpse of those delicious collarbone and Seunghyun can’t drag his eyes away from the long neck that led himself to burn the images of Jiyong’s soft skin in his head. He wonders how it felt under his touch. Is it soft like the way he thought it to be?

“I thought I warned you to quit this job, Kwon. It’ll be a pain in the once the news about you, a smart student working in a club floating around the school after this. You wouldn’t prefer to be a drop out, don’t you?” there was again the smirk on his lips. Jiyong threw a murderous glare on Seunghyun, feeling his face turned red.

“I prefer you to not give me trouble, sir” he emphasized the last word, forcing himself to remind of his current position. He would have spats out in bitter if Choi Seunghyun wasn’t his customer right now. He also would have chased this arrogant boy out of this club if he could. Unfortunately, Seungri has told him that any complaint about Seunghyun wouldn’t work. Seunghyun has been a good friend with the manager of the club. No wonder his didn’t get kicked out the last time they met in front of the Mist.

“Oh I can’t guarantee that” Seunghyun hissed as he drowned the alcohol in his hand. “Unless if you stop working here. This is my final warning, Kwon”

Choi Seunghyun was alone again this time. Jiyong tried to held in his anger and just exhale calmly. Apparently, the time Seunghyun caught him working in the club; Jiyong just had to drop off his guard and practically begged Seunghyun not to tell anybody about it. Well, it was not easy for Seunghyun to agree with him, resulting to their current situation. The brunette suddenly comes up with a stupid deal which is being his stupid ‘runner’.

Jiyong watched Seunghyun’s index finger playing at the rim of the glass, catching a sheepish smile planted on Seunghyun’s face. Why is this troublemaker keep on shoving problems into his head? Jiyong his lower lips and pulled his lips on each side, boldly looking into Seunghyun’s eyes as if challenging the other man.

“My decision is final. No means no” Jiyong merely shook his head.

“Sadly, I don’t take no as an answer, Kwon” Seunghyun’s eyes perched straight into his eyes, looking very serious. Standing up, he walks to Jiyong and circled around him, taking some time examined the boy on every angle with a glass in his hand. He could see Jiyong squirmed under his gaze and couldn’t help a little snort at that. It was obvious that the boy was self-conscious yet pretending by acting tough.

“A suicide attempt, smoking in school area and working in a club wouldn’t make a good impression to people, Kwon—especially when you’re a top school student” Seunghyun continued in deep rasp, shrill ran through Jiyong’s bone.

“Are you seriously threatening me, Choi? Stop acting childish please. Jiyong exclaimed in restricted voice, almost losing his temper.

“I guess I can’t help it. It amused me seeing you’re anxious” The distant between them was too close, almost breathing in the same air and Jiyong swears he could feel nervous clenching tight on his chest. Seunghyun reeks out dark fragrance of liquor and smokes from cigarettes. Bitterness was the only thing he could smell from him.

And perhaps—being bitter is the only thing he’s good at.

“I have to go if you don’t have anything to do with me. Please excuse me, sir” perhaps it was best to put a stop of this conversation. He took a step back slow before turning his back on Choi Seunghyun. Whatever. He’s going to ignore this jerk that has been wasting his time. He’s not going to let Choi Seunghyun play him again.

“You can’t ignore me, Kwon” Seunghyun said aloud, trying to beat the music that has been blasting through the club.

“Of course I can” Jiyong waved his hand, not looking back.

 

Not if I won’t let you—

 

Seunghyun shook his head a little, feeling tipsy from the liquor he just shoved down his throat. He also lost count of glasses he has been drinking. Cheeks flushed and everywhere in his body burned so he pulls down zipper of his jacket, letting breeze sunk in his flesh. Seunghyun darted his eyes across the club and saw the boy was smiling brightly at one of the waiter. Seunghyun remembered that waiter of course; he was the one that beat him to pulp but his mind can’t seem to remember his name. Probably starts with Lee. Lee-jerk?Lee-? Ahh, screw the bastard. Nevertheless, he was the reason Kwon Jiyong got humiliated at school. The real question is: why is Kwon laughing with that ing bastard? And why he never received that angelic smile?

Seunghyun fought a laugh back in his throat, he felt ridiculed and stupid at the same time. His mouth went dry, maybe he needs another drink, Seunghyun thinks. His right hand reached for the bottle neck and pours the liquid in his glasses. He lifted his glass up and shifted his eyes on it only to trail back to that petite body. Those brown eyes seemed to be twinkling even under dim-light while talking to that bastard. A hand that was slung over Jiyong’s shoulder, however, didn’t fazed Seunghyun. It somehow managed to make him fuelled in anger.

Even though, he tried very hard to smile from afar, Jiyong didn’t fail to notice Seunghyun’s looks on him. It was unavoidable. His eyes met Seunghyun’s. Placing his hands over his stomach, Jiyong bows down elegantly and pulled a smile, narrowing his eyes at Seunghyun. Jiyong caught his smirk as the guy holds up his drink in the air, mouthing cheers. Jiyong’s eyebrow creased in confusion but decided to finally disappear from those cold eyes.

“If you’re going to smile, put in some sincerity at least” Seunghyun muttered under his breath, sipping the drink in his hand and lazily whirled it afterwards.

Before Kwon Jiyong could walk away, Seunghyun threw away the glass in his hand and it crashed on the ground, spilling some of the liquid. The loud shattering shook him from trance, stopping his tracks. Jiyong was taken aback at the sudden noise. Seunghyun has definitely grasped everyone’s attention in the club now, he figured. The music was abruptly stopped and it went quiet. Jiyong narrowed his gaze on Seunghyun and scoffed with jaws dropping.

Unbelievable.

“Oopps” Seunghyun faked a gasp.

 

-

 

“This is the second time you’ve broke the glasses this week! I’m afraid I have to fire you if you keep on this bad habit of yours” the supervisor raises voice at him and Jiyong couldn’t help but to bow again and again.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry but trust me I didn’t break it. Choi Se-”

“Who did it, then?!” The man in the 30s yells at him. “Mr Choi? Do you think I’m going to believe you? Choi Seunghyun is a good friend of Miss Park. Moreover, he’s our regular customer so he wouldn’t dare to do that. Use your brain the next time you wanted to accuse someone”

Jiyong held onto the man’s arm, bowing 90 degrees. “Please, trust me. I didn’t do it. I swear on my life. I need this job so please don’t fire me” the man swats his hands away.

“I won’t fire you this time since Lee Seungri suggested you for the job but I have to cut your pay as compensation. And I want you to be the last one to stay until the club is close. Take it as your punishment. Do you have anything to complain?” the man brushed his shirt and folds his arm on his chest, waiting.

Jiyong bows. “No. Thank you, sir. Thank you very much, sir. I’m sure it won’t happen again. I’ll give you my word” and the man waves his hand in the midst of air, gesturing to walk out from his office.

The next moment he was out from the office, he sighed out of relief. Jiyong clutched on his chest. It really felt like his chest going to burst. He was so afraid that he will get fired from this job. What would he do if something like that happen? He was sure that his mom won’t let him get in the house. Jiyong ran his fingers in his fluffy hair and pulls it out. This is so frustrating. This is so hard and Jiyong afraid that he can barely keep up anymore.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Seungri’s head poke out between the door slits. “What does the supervisor said? Are you going to get fired? Aishh… Did you tell him that Choi Seunghyun was at fault?” the boy came up to him and puts his hands on his shoulder.

“The supervisor said he’ll let it pass. He doesn’t believe me anyway even if I told Choi Seunghyun was the one did it but don’t worry about it. I’m okay.” Seungri sighed heavily.

“Okay if you say so. Change your clothes, I walk you home today” Seungri pushed Jiyong to the locker room but Jiyong stopped him.

“No, I’m going to stay back. You can go home first, Seungri”

“But tomorrow is school, hyung. I’ll go talk to the supervisor-”

“Just go home, Seungri. I can take care of this” Jiyong firmly exclaimed and smiled, assuring that he is completely fine. It was enough trouble for tonight. He doesn’t need another scolding for Seungri defending him. The boy already gave him a plenty of help, he wasn’t sure if he need another. There was agitation as the boy opened and closes his mouth back and forth, holding his words but Seungri just nodded quietly, understands.

“You’re too stubborn, hyung. Alright then. See you tomorrow at school” and Jiyong just had to laugh at the boy’s disappointed face. Jiyong patted him on the head and waves him a goodbye.

It was past midnight now and he could hear his stomach growling. Ugh. There was unbearable pain was, something was kicking inside and his vision turned blurry. He shook his head and crouched down, both palms covering his face. An urge to throw up increased as his head fell into dizziness. Why is this keep happening? Was it because of lack of food? Because Jiyong did remember he ate before start working. Jiyong pushed himself to walk to the changing room, hoping there’s still some bread left in his bag.

Jiyong heard footsteps behind him when he got into the changing room. Someone was waiting for him and he didn’t need to turn around to figure who it was because right after that, the door’s lock clicked. Jiyong didn’t say anything and continue to rummage through his locker to find his bread.

“Got fired, huh? Poor you” Seunghyun said in sad tone, shrugging his shoulders like it was nothing.

“Now, let’s head back to your house. I’ll walk you home”  

“No but thanks to you, I’ll have to stay back until the club is close” Jiyong grabbed a mineral water from his bag and gulped down a couple of times.

“So please—get out. You’re not someone I need to see right now. Just go anywhere, flinging around the girls or whatever. I don’t care, help yourself out” his back tensed when he could feel a sting in his stomach. Jiyong quickly clasped over his mouth and tried to collect his piece of mind, restricting from making any sound.

“Oh stop being so bitter, Kwon. You’ll thank me afterwards for saving your sorry ” his voice came out raspy. Seunghyun sat down on a chair on the corner and folded his legs, completely unaware of the situation. He looked around the room, searching for something to grab his attention only to find his eyes lay against the small body again. A smile crept on his lips but soon fades when Kwon Jiyong was glaring at him so he chuckled heartily.

“Don’t be too full of yourself. Thank you will be last word I’ll ever think of” Jiyong smashed close his locker and leaned against it. Seunghyun smiled and pulled out a box of cigarette from his pocket only to get snatched by Jiyong. Seunghyun grabbed Jiyong’s wrist and looks up at the boy, questioning what the hell he is doing. Seunghyun doesn’t like someone taking his things, especially before asking his permission. It’s irritating.

“This is no smoking area” Jiyong answered, a little bit blunt so Seunghyun snorted. “I don’t see any sign here” It was not a lie to defend himself because he really didn’t see it. Seunghyun looked around again, scanning each corner if he did missed one.

“Just get out if you want to smoke and please do me a favour, leave” it sounds more like plead to his ears. As if Seunghyun was only a nuisance to Jiyong’s eyes; like a chewing gum that keeps on sticking on his shoes no matter how hard he tried to get rid of it.

“I told you, you’re not the boss of me, Kwon. I’ll do whatever I want”

“But you can’t always get everything in your way, Choi”

“And who the hell told you that I can’t? You might want to take back your words, Kwon. I’m afraid it’ll bite you back you in the ” Seunghyun threw away Jiyong’s hand a little carelessly once he get his cigarette box in his hand. Flickering the lights up, he in deep breathe and let those smokes hung in the air as he opened his mouth.

“Can you just leave me alone?” Jiyong steps back coughing a little bit, feeling suffocated.

“I won’t go until I get what I want and let me tell you one interesting fact” Seunghyun’s feet fell flat on the ground and he allowed his arms settled on both side on Jiyong, trapping him against the hard wall. Invading his privacy, Seunghyun bite on the white tube, letting it hung over on the edge of his lips. Jiyong darted his gaze on the floor, refused to breathe the same air with Seunghyun.

“Look at me” Seunghyun ordered but it didn’t manage to frighten the shorter one.

His hand flew to trail on the long neck and went to the back of Jiyong’s nape, slowly running his hand in those fluffy locks of hair and tugged it a bit hard, making Jiyong winced. Guilt was crawling to his chest yet Seunghyun managed to shrug it off. He was furious and angry at how Jiyong was not paying attention to him, care less about him and didn’t even think about how he was feeling. There’s a tinge of a feeling Seunghyun didn’t recognized—hurt perhaps?

“I said look at me” Seunghyun glowered. The deep velvet voice turned soft, however, still sounds demanding and intense. This time Jiyong didn’t play push and pull, decided to just follow Seunghyun order and let himself melt under those dark gaze.

“My current interest is you, Kwon” Seunghyun paused, eyes searching for a spark inside Jiyong’s gaze.

“I’m interested in you so make sure you stick by my side until you graduate or else—prepare to be a drop out” he picked the white tube between his index finger and thumb, hard from the tube before threw it across the floor and stepped on it. Jiyong was infuriated by his threat, wanting to kick this jerk on his face but he only found himself gripping his knuckles till it turned white.

“You’re drunk, Choi” he was unable to mask his incredulity.

Seunghyun laughed at this, chest buzzing in sudden happiness. “I wish I am but sorry to disappoint, I am not” Jiyong finds himself staring at his Adam apple as the guy gulped.

“Tomorrow is your first day playing a role as my friend so make sure you come early tomorrow”

“See you at school” Seunghyun managed to breathe in his ear, lightly caressing his cheeks before get out from the room, leaving Jiyong breathless in shock, slumped on his bottom.

 

-

 

He was defeated. The white flag has been raised and Seunghyun smiled bigger than he should. Jiyong halted in his tracks, having a second thought of his decision. Yet before he could manage to turn his heels around, the long arm was already slung around, circling his neck and Jiyong groaned. There is no turning back.

The boy looked at Seunghyun’s face and his other two friends, looking confused as well. There were a lot of stares, whispers and comment about him and Seunghyun. Well, the big fight in the canteen was pretty recent since the whole school still talked about it so this friend-thing between Jiyong and Seunghyun must have shocked everyone. He surprised himself too by agreeing with the so-called deal with Choi Seunghyun.

“Can someone explain what’s going on?” Taecyeon speaks up in a stern voice. He seemed displeased at the whole deal. Kang Daesung just stood by his side and faced Seunghyun and Jiyong. Jiyong gulped at the sudden confrontation.

“There’s nothing to be explain. The answer is already in the big picture, Taec. From now on, Kwon Jiyong is going to be one of us and I want you guys to treat him like a friend” Seunghyun’s simple explanation made Jiyong released his breath in relief but he stopped as Taecyeon’s eyebrows was furrowed.

“One of us? Friend? Are you pulling my legs, Seunghyun? Since when we hang around the smart ?” Jiyong didn’t miss the glare Taecyeon sent.

“Yeah, hyung. I thought you hate kids like him” Daesung came up, ganging up against Seunghyun. Jiyong quickly looked up and darted his eyes on Seunghyun.

“I guess I don’t anymore” the guy plainly shrugged off and exhaled in exasperation. Seunghyun shouldered his bag, casually clapped his hand on Tacyeon’s shoulder and gave it a little shake. His answer didn’t changed Taecyeon’s and Daesung’s bitter expression, and so Jiyong thought he should say something; anything that’ll make sense to their ears. Unfortunately, Taecyeon has already caught up to him and grabbed by his collar. His eyes widened upon Taecyeon’s sudden attack, gasping.

“Ok Taecyeon” The firm voice of Seunghyun made Jiyong flicked his eyes back at him. Jiyong knows fear was smeared across his face, it was reflected in Taecyeon’s eyes.

“Relax, Seunghyun. I’m just welcoming our new friend” Then, a smile curved along Taecyeon’s lips, those hands eased by the bridge of his shoulders and patting it. The tall guy leans and whispers.

“I’ll get you later, friend” he emphasized the friend and a scoff trailed along behind.

Seunghyun was still far from both of them, scrutinizing eyes were on them. Jiyong wanted to put on his usual nonchalant mask, but the iron grip on his shoulder made him feel tiny next to Taecyeon. He wanted to call out for Seunghyun, ask for help. However, they’re not really friends like everyone saw them as. This whole deal is just to make sure the students around the school don’t know his position as Seunghyun’s runner.

Jiyong finally exhaled calmly. They have disappeared from the hallway, leaving Jiyong to find for Seunghyun. The brunette was staring at him with a dissatisfied face, making him scrunched his nose in return. Did he done something wrong? The guy rolled his eyes and exasperatedly strolled to his locker with Jiyong followed him quietly.

Seunghyun took out a couple of book from his locker and gave it to Jiyong. As he did it, he steals a couple of glance at the boy and the boy just look at him silently. It was unusual. He looks naïve, nice and tame. Too tame.

“Were you scared with Taecyeon?” Seunghyun asked. The boy was a bit hesitant but shook his head instead. He just has the urge to scoff out loud and he did, bringing Jiyong to throw a glare at his direction. As always, the boy would rather shove him a bunch of lies. What would Choi Seunghyun expect? It’s Kwon Jiyong, he’s talking about.

“I saw it, Kwon. You were scared less”

“I did not, Choi” Jiyong said in defence.

“You were

“I said, I’m not. I’m just uncomfortable, that’s all”

“Uncomfortable? You were shrinking back there with Taecyeon gripping on your shoulders” Seunghyun shouldered his bag.

“Oh, so you saw and did nothing? Why didn’t you help me?” Jiyong spats out, irritation was crawling in his nerves.

“I’m planning to, Kwon. It’s not like I don’t want to. I was waiting” Seunghyun paused.

“Waiting for what? Till I got my neck break in half?” the sarcasm in his voice made Seunghyun slammed the locker shut. It sent Jiyong startled a little.

“I’m waiting for you to call out for me. Ask for my help” Seunghyun seizes his book from Jiyong’s hand harshly, making the boy losing his balance a bit.

“But you didn’t. You didn’t call out for me. Just like last time. You were in trouble but refused to ask for help. Well, at least last time you didn’t even know my presence” he snickered, chuckling half-heartedly.

“What are you saying?” Jiyong furrowed his eyebrows, unsure what’s the guy trying to say.Jiyong doesn’t know why he feels weird in his chest. Seunghyun’s burning stare was making him nervous.

“I was there, Kwon. You could have called out for me when you’re scared” Seunghyun looks at him and took a step forward. Jiyong was caught off guard. A second passed as those words sunk in his brain. He didn’t see it coming. Those words seemed to fill with thousands of meaning that Jiyong doesn’t even dare to dream. Jiyong pinched himself, reminding not let loose of his guard.

“Choi, I’m just…” Jiyong tried to stop the guy but Seunghyun didn’t even spare him a glance as the guy walked passed him after collecting books in his arms.

“Save it” Seunghyun said in return, stopping dead in his tracks. Seunghyun turned his head and said,“Just remember to have lunch with me. You, alone”

 

-

 

It was hate.

Seunghyun was sure that he hates the little brat named Kwon Jiyong. He kicked his table and sat down. Closing his eyes shut, Seunghyun decided to sleep. The uneasy feelings in his chest will probably go away after he takes a nap. Another second passed by and Seunghyun found his mind wandering somewhere else. He feels funny after getting mad at Kwon Jiyong. Chest constricted, heavy.

It’s called guilt, you stupid. Choi Seunghyun told himself.

Seunghyun doesn’t like how his heart softens when being around Kwon Jiyong. It was weird to have so many feelings when being around Kwon Jiyong. At one time, he’s happy but then, he’s in rage. And at another time he would feel guilty, sad, and mad. Who is he to make him feeling all of these emotions?

“I’m waiting for you to call out for me. Ask for my help”

Seunghyun banged his head on the desk and hissed at the sting. Why the hell he said that? What is he expecting? What does he wants from Kwon Jiyong? And why is he being so childish? Seunghyun doesn’t like how Jiyong made him weak with these emotions. He suddenly sat up, making his friends stopped laughing and turned their heads, wondering what’s going on.

“Hey, can I ask you something?” Seunghyun started.

“Sure, hyung!” Daesung said happily.

“Hmmm… have you…I mean, did you…”the boys was looking at him weirdly as Seunghyun having problems finding the correct words.

“Okay…so let’s say you know someone and you keep bumping into him. And you always help him every time he’s in trouble. Are you... I mean, does it consider normal to have weird feelings for him?” he asked with his big eyes, earnestly waiting for an answer.

“Are you referring these weird feelings to be good or bad, hyung? And is it a guy, hyung? I’m confused” Daesung pouted, scratching his head.

Seunghyun stared for a while.

How stupid of him.

“Forget it. Just pretend I didn’t say a word” he fell back to his desk, making Taecyeon eyeing him from the corner.

 

-

 

“Gosh, such a bastard!” He slammed his hands on his desk and kicked the table. He winced when his feet stings a bit.

Choi Seunghyun is a rude bastard, he thought to himself. There is no doubt about it. What does he mean by that? If Seunghyun wants to lend him a hand then why would he needs to wait for Jiyong to call for him? And what’s with the demanding voice? Arghh. Let’s forget about it. He slides his hands under his table and grabbed a few books stacked in it. Pulling it out, Jiyong settled it on his table. There’s a scribble of hangul characters on it. The writing’s, however, not that easy to read.

“Ch..hoi.. Seung…hy..hyeon” he scrunched his nose.

Oh.

“Oh, Choi Seunghyun” Jiyong smiled at his attempt reading the name. Jiyong took out a pencil and start flipping through the pages.

“Now, where is that essay question?” Today is his first day as Seunghyun’s runner so he’s going to do his best so the guy would leave him alone. Yup, that’s right. Jiyong nods, convincing himself that all he has to do is do whatever the devil said. It’ll spare him out from trouble.

He sighed heavily. Jiyong puts down his pencils and stared on the blank piece of paper. What is he doing? Doing homework for Choi Seunghyun? This is not himself. He’s not the type to give in easily to someone else. But the devil will spill his secrets to whole school and he definitely doesn’t want that. And why is he giving in so easily?

Man up, Kwon Jiyong!

Although, Jiyong knows it’s just a matter of time till his secret blow off. It’s still too early to quit the job. He needs the money. With his mom still wandering around looking for jobs and his dad that has yet to come home, Jiyong is sure that it’s a good decision to be Seunghyun’s runner. It’s not like it’s that hard, right?

 

-

 

As soon as the bell rings, Seunghyun was the first person greeted him out of the class. The students in his class were surprised upon his visit. People outside stopped and looked at the tall guy with the nonchalant face. Jiyong noticed Seunghyun doesn’t have the usual smirk on his face, only irritation placed across as his lips twitched. It seemed like Seunghyun was displeased, he thought. Was he mad about the conversation they had in the morning? Carefully, Jiyong closed the distance between them and stands beside Seunghyun. Like he was promised, Seunghyun dragged him to the canteen with his nonchalant face. 

“What are you doing still not picking up the tray?” the tall guy asked, eyes diverted on the rows of tray stacked in front of them.

“Hmm? What?” Jiyong asked, clueless suddenly.

“It’s lunch, Kwon. And I need to eat something so aren’t you going to pick up the tray for me?” Seunghyun turned his head, making Jiyong scoffed at him.

“You have your own hands, Choi. Why would I pick up your food for you? I’m just your runner, remember?” Jiyong said and saw a smirk bloomed on Seunghyun’s face. Sweet dimples curved on his cheeks.

Exactly” he emphasized. Seunghyun leaned in, making Jiyong jerked backwards.

“Now, stop staring and pick up the tray. Come on, I’m hungry”

Not even bothering to throw Seunghyun a glare, Jiyong puffed his cheeks and do as what he was told. Seunghyun had his arms folded the whole time they picked up the food and Jiyong can’t believe they’re arguing over something that doesn’t even make sense.

“Don’t take the veggies. I hate it” Seunghyun makes a weird face.

“Why? They’re healthy” Jiyong nudged the ahjumma to just put it in their tray but Seunghyun pulled away the tray.

“No, they’re not. Look at how slimy they are and they’re green!” Seunghyun retorted, not giving a chance to the ahjumma to put the vegetables in.

“It’s vegetables, Choi. They are naturally green and they taste delicious” Jiyong managed to put in their tray.

“They taste yuck, Kwon” the childish boy tried to take it away from his hand.

“No, they are not”

“I said yes they are”

“I said no they are not”

“Yes!”

“No!”

“Umm… I’m sorry to interrupt but there are others still waiting in the line” The ahjumma speaks up, cutting in their fight and both of them huffed angrily. She looked troubled and annoyed at the same.

Jiyong turned over and saw a long queue of students behind them, he bowed down and bits his lips. He almost forgets that there are still others in the canteen and realized that they were bickering in front of others, and about a freaking food most of all. This is so embarrassing. After so much trouble arguing with Seunghyun about the food, both of them walked to an empty table. Jiyong looked at the tray in his hands, there’s only kimchi, plain rice, meats, chicken and meats again. He chinned up and met eyes with Seunghyun that has been biting on straw for a while now.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” Jiyong shoved the tray towards Seunghyun and the guy shook his head.

“Naahh, I’m stuffed. You can eat it. I’m buying it for you” Seunghyun said and Jiyong stared at him, in awe, completely.

“A-are you serious?” he asked. Seunghyun leans in over the table and nods his head. He looks genuine, Jiyong felt his heart and face softens when Seunghyun looked into his eyes. Is this real?

He’s so…so…

“It’s so sweet” Jiyong breaks into a smile, blurted it unconsciously so he clasped over his mouth and eyed Seunghyun from the corner of his eyes. It doesn’t seem like Seunghyun heard him because the guy had his gaze around the canteen but Jiyong noticed a smile crept on his lips. Shrugging it off his shoulders, Jiyong picked up his spoon and started to dig in.

“Ahhh….” Suddenly, Seunghyun leaned in closer and opened his mouth.

“W-what are you doing?” Jiyong doesn’t know why he felt warmth came up on his cheeks.

“Ahhh…” Seunghyun repeated again his action and heading closer to his spoon that Jiyong takes away before Seunghyun could takes a bite from his food.

“Choi, stop it right now. People are looking” Jiyong said in between his gritted teeth. He was blushing; heat went over his head because he knows people are looking at them.

“It doesn’t hurt sharing a little, Kwon” Seunghyun rolled his eyes.

“Why would I?” Jiyong puts down his chopsticks.

Instead of answering his question, Seunghyun popped up another obvious question to him. “Who buys you this food?”

“You?”

Exactly.  Now stop with the questions and feed me” Seunghyun smirked went wider.

Rolling his eyes, Jiyong shoved his spoon into Seunghyun’s mouth before the guy could retort with another stupid words. Jiyong covers his face and puts the palm on his forehead, feeling annoyed and embarrassed at the situation he stuck in. Seunghyun on the other hand was munching cheerfully at him with rice stucks on his cheeks. There’s no doubt about it, Jiyong scrunched his nose, lips twitched, annoyed.

Choi Seunghyun is annoyingly cute and conceited jerk! 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________