Seventh

Intricate Masquerade

 

 

It was vivid. Almost too clear and it seemed like his head can’t comprehend anything after those dirty images entered his mind. He blinked his eyes hard and rubbed it a few times, wishing that everything would quickly disappear. It’s a dream; Jiyong heard somewhere in his mind whispered. He wants to believe it. No. Scratch that. He wanted to. He clearly needs to believe it.

Jiyong swears his heart drops, remembering that jerk shamelessly making out with some girl. Glued bodies that can’t seem to be parted, lips sealed in one. The way she pulled him by the collar forward, deepening their passionate hot kiss and by the way he also didn’t budged and cornered her while move on to leave some kisses on her nape roughly, leaving her breathless with that pair of lips. Jiyong brought his fingers traced on the curve of his lips, wiped it afterwards remembering those rosy lips that used to kiss him before. That jerk! Jiyong ruffled his fluffy hair and pouted and accidentally banged his head on the locker, wincing when the pain stings.

“Damn Choi Seunghyun. This is all your fault” he rubbed on his forehead.

“Are you done cursing me?” Seunghyun suddenly came in the room making his back tensed, gasping upon his entrance. Jiyong just chewed his lips and pulled out a nice smile.

“Of course not. Why would I curse you? Why are you in here anyway? Didn’t I tell you to wait outside?” Jiyong closed his locker and shouldered his bag. He tried very hard to keep his tone low as possible.

“Because I get the feeling that someone is bad-mouthing me. Good to hear from your mouth that you didn’t do such cowardly thing such as cursing behind someone’s back. Are you done changing anyway?” Jiyong blinked his eyes and nodded obediently in reply to Seunghyun’s question. Seunghyun fought a laugh looking at the fake smile plastered on the boy’s face. Smiling wickedly, he walked towards Jiyong and holds out his hand causing Jiyong to look at him weird.

“Hand” Seunghyun sighs tiredly. Without further question, Jiyong puts out his hand hesitantly on top of Seunghyun’s palm and diverts his eyes back on Seunghyun.

“Good boy” the taller grinned and patted the boy on the head lightly. Somehow, Jiyong felt stupid and wanted to hit this jerk with his bag for treating him like a dog but he restricted his move and just let the brunette do what he want. He let a stupid grin crept on his face and pulled it bigger for Seunghyun. If it wasn’t for getting caught—Jiyong let a heavy sigh escaped from his mouth.

“Come on, Kwon. It’s getting late” He just realized Seunghyun was already out of the door so Jiyong quickly pulled his hands and slides it in his pocket. He greeted the workers in the club before following behind Seunghyun closely in the street. Man, this guy sure walks fast, Jiyong thought as he had trouble catching up with Seunghyun’s fast-pace. Noticing this, Seunghyun slowed down a little till the shorter one finally on his side, walking calmly.

“You sure do have short legs. No wonder you had to look up every time you look at me” Seunghyun started talking, didn’t look at him. He could hear Jiyong snorted.

“Well, I can’t help it since I was born like this. At least I used it for good things such as walking unlike someone who used it to kick people” Jiyong mocked and Seunghyun turned to look at him sharp.

“You do know your words right won’t do you good after this, Kwon. But I let it slide just for today. By the way, buy me something. I’m hungry” Seunghyun patted his empty stomach.

“I don’t want to” Jiyong whispered to himself, puffing his cheeks, nevertheless, it reaches Seunghyun’s ears and put his track to an abrupt stop.

“What did you say?” He turned to Jiyong.

“I…didn’t really say anything. What do you want to eat? I’ll buy it for you” He faked a smile and faintly chuckle then.

“I want to something though” Seunghyun said thoughtfully, fingers tapping on his chin. Jiyong gulped when the guy watched him shivered. Seunghyun took a couple of steps and closed the distance between them.

“D-did you just said ?” he was sure that his eyes are now wide open at Seunghyun’s words and jaw left hanging right after Seunghyun smirked deviously, nodding and looked downwards.

What the-

 

-

 

Oh.

“So you meant ice cream?” Jiyong found himself smiling and heaved out of relief, watching Seunghyun as he picked out an ice-cream from the plastic bag that they just bought from a 24-hour convenient store.

“Of course I meant ice-cream. What else would I mean by ?” Seunghyun on his ice-cream and narrowed his eyes. “You didn’t thought of anything dirty right?” after he questioned about it, Jiyong quickly waved his hands infront of his chest and crossed it over.

“Tchh.. What kind of a person you think I am?” Jiyong laughed weakly and avoided Seunghyun scrutiny gaze, clearing his throat. “So…about you found me working in the club earlier is forgotten, right?”

“I never said that” Seunghyun dismissed his words flat.

“But I bought you ice-creams!” Jiyong whined as he stopped walking and watched Seunghyun’s back that was far by now. Seeing the brunette keeps on walking, Jiyong just bitterly frowned and caught up to him quickly.

“Ohh… So this ice-cream is a bribe to keep my mouth shut, huh? Clever but it’s not easy to escape from my grasp, Kwon” Seunghyun said thoughtfully, opening another ice-cream after finished his first one.

“And I prefer to talk about this somewhere private like—your house perhaps?”

“Oh no. We’re not going to my house talking about this. We’re going to settle this right now, right here, that’s what we’re going to do” he retaliated firm. Jiyong shook his head, obviously doesn’t approve idea of visiting his house.

“Yes, we can do that but suddenly I lost interest talking about this. Maybe I should just go home and spread the news to the whole school tomorrow” Seunghyun turned away fast and faked a yawn. Seeing this, Jiyong grabbed on Seunghyun’s arm and pulled him.

“Fine! We’re going to my house but only for a while” Jiyong gives up and instantly those pretty dimples carved as Seunghyun pulled his lips into a victorious smile. He knew he will win against Jiyong. It’s fun playing around with Jiyong. The panic looks plastered on his face somehow amused Seunghyun and it was addicting teasing this boy.

“Ice-cream?” with a big smile, Seunghyun pulled out ice-cream from his mouth and pointed towards Jiyong latter made a disgusted face.

After almost fifteen minutes walking, both of them settled in front Jiyong’s house. Before Seunghyun could set his foot in Jiyong’s house, the shorter one warned with a clear high-pitched voice to not touch anything yet those warnings was quickly erased from his mind. His eyes reached every corner of the house, searching for something interesting but nothing piqued his interest. The other boy disappeared to change in some warm clothes. The house is not too big neither too small and looks comfortable enough for a family to fit in. Seunghyun moved to the corner which filled with a couple of frames.

There was a picture of a lady holds a baby in her arm which Seunghyun assumed was Kwon Jiyong, a portrait of a woman looking out of the window; his mom maybe and lastly, a picture of his family portrait. Seunghyun picked up the last one. The glass was cracked into few pieces like it has been smashed down or something, he figured. He traced on the smile painted on Jiyong’s face. An overwhelming feeling rushed through him. The boy was smiling very brightly like he was the happiest person in the world and Seunghyun envied that he never got to see it with his own eyes.

“What are you doing?” a hand seized the frame from his hand a little too quickly. His voice was tense. Seunghyun furrows his eyebrow at Jiyong’s reaction. Insecurity was shown across his face. As if Seunghyun just touched something private that was supposed to disclose from any eyes.

“You should fix that. The glasses are broken. A family portrait like this should be in something beautiful for people to see” Seunghyun exclaimed with a low voice, feeling a bit guilty. Jiyong looked at the picture, his eyes were down casted and Seunghyun couldn’t see any emotions in it.

“It’s not like anything will change even if I do that” Jiyong said cold, turning the frame to lay flat on its front. There was irony tangled in his voice, there was also sadness like he had lost hopes long time ago and in some way Seunghyun could tell that Jiyong was not talking about the cracked frame.

“I don’t have anything in my kitchen so I hope tea is okay for you”

“Yeah, sure” Seunghyun just watched as Jiyong left his side to walk inside his kitchen.

Seunghyun managed to settle himself across the television. A couple sheets of paper were on the coffee table alongside with pens, pencils and an eraser. After a while fighting with his curiosity, he gave up and chose to have a tiny peek (as if). Propping his elbow on the table, Seunghyun reads words scrawled over the white sheet. However, it’s nothing much actually because it kind of looks like a scribble of words here and there. Seunghyun turned the page over and found a short drabble yet before he could even read a sentence, Jiyong already came with a glass on his hand.

“Here, I made you a cup of tea to clear up your evil mind” the teacup clinks against the table as Jiyong put it down.

“Did you put poison in because I smell something fishy” Seunghyun brought the cup on his level and blew on it. Jiyong just shook his head in return and Seunghyun takes it as the answer that the tea is safe to drink so he sipped a little.

“Nothing close to poison but I did spit on it” Jiyong put on wicked grin. It made Seunghyun blew out the liquid out from his mouth abruptly after that. Seunghyun coughed a little and gaped at the boy in front, disbelieve.

“Wow, you bought that. You must be dumb” the sarcasm did tick on his nerves but Seunghyun just bite his tongue.

He puts down the cup and leans comfortably on the sofa, letting his body sunk in the soft furniture. Tilting up his head, Seunghyun closed his eyes for an instance, decided to think something for a payback. His hands were settled on his side and Seunghyun snapped his eyes quickly after realized he was touching a soft fabric. He took it in his hands and saw that it was a boxer. Spongebob version, he smirked.

“Oh look what we have here” Seunghyun waved the boxer on Jiyong’s face and the boy’s eyes widen, hands quickly tried to reach for it but failed.

“Hey, give it back. I told you not to touch anything” blushes creep on the boy’s cheek making him more adorable than usual. Seunghyun stood and puts his hand up high, waving it in a teasing manner.

“Blame on yourself. You’re the one placed this stuff here. Although, I could say I don’t really mind about these things” Seunghyun stretched the embarrassing stuff and Jiyong can feel himself turned red.

“Gosh, Choi. Can’t you just stop making me embarrassed? Give it back!” Jiyong hopped, still can’t reach it though no matter how many time he tried.

Within a flash, Jiyong was slipping on something and accidentally pushed Seunghyun, lying on the sofa with him on top. Jiyong winced as his head knocked over Seunghyun chin. Damn, it was sharp, Jiyong mumbled. A low groaned escaped, buzzing against his chest and Jiyong stilled. Uh oh. This is not good at all. Seunghyun pushed his body up with his elbow, grunted at the pain on his chin, slightly rubbing on it. But when he found a pair of round eyes was staring him, Seunghyun’s brain was shut down completely. Tangled limbs, chest against another, warm breaths mixed into one and in a sudden his eyes instantly flicked to those cherry lips.

Was it usually this hot in here?

“Give it to me” Jiyong exclaimed as he seized his favourite boxer in his hand and sighed, not to forget throwing a glare to Seunghyun. He gulped when he saw an unfamiliar looks on Seunghyun. Jiyong looks away, pretending he didn’t notice and tried to get up before anything weird happens. Sensing this, Seunghyun latched on his hips, drew him to bounce back on top of Seunghyun, cheeks flat on his chest.

“Not so fast, kitten. What’s the rush anyway?” Jiyong swears this guy existed in the world only to make fun of him, white teeth bits on his lower lips, resisting himself from diving into madness.

“I told you I hate nicknames and let me go you bastard!” he tried to wiggle his way out. Nonetheless, the warm hands trailed from his hips to his tiny waist, arms s around it. Jiyong gasped at this. His ears burned in heat and Seunghyun had a temptation to nibble on it.

“Are you embarrassed, Kwon?” a rumble of voice back in his throat anyhow came out deeper than usual. The boy seemed a bit hesitant, still he bravely opened his mouth.

“Of course, I am. Someone I barely know touched my undergarment, obviously it’s not something to be proud of” Jiyong sarcastically answered in a soft tone, cheeks painted with pink colours. It wasn’t like him to confess such things. Then, again, he was at disadvantage situation so maybe after answering the question Seunghyun will let him go.

“There’s nothing to be ashamed of” Seunghyun murmurs, boring his gaze from those brown orbs down to the cute pointed nose.

“But if it makes you better- I’ll take off mine and show it to you” the baritone voice whispers hoarsely, came out almost to rush and his heart beats rapidly when Jiyong flicks his tongue along his lips. Damn it. This boy is definitely testing his patience with the nonchalant look.

“There is it again you with the jokes. You always make fun of me” Jiyong’s eyes turned into slits. His mouth went dry, skins burning in heat and it felt like the air is getting thinner because it seemed like both of them was breathing heavily.

“I’m not” a laugh echoed in his ears as Seunghyun defended himself, loosening his holds. He gave the chance for Jiyong to get up from him.

“Yeah, right. Like I’ll believe you” The shorter one pouted and stood on his knees. Seunghyun didn’t like how Jiyong waved him off, like he didn’t trust him enough.

Seunghyun tugs Jiyong’s arm roughly and pinned him down, switching their position. Jiyong yelped as he fell and pushed away the hard chest from crashing against him. Silence hovered over them both. Seunghyun traced his finger down the slim frame, the whole body trembles and cautious looks are now occupied Jiyong’s face. Eyes were watching his every action as if Seunghyun would harm him.

“Well, your Spongebob boxer is definitely hilarious and funny to pick on. But it’s not really my type if I have to be truth” Seunghyun started, breaking the ice. The boy didn’t move and didn’t even dare to open his mouth, just gaze away from his reach. Seunghyun lifted his chin to meet his gaze, wondering if there were any tint, either little hint that Jiyong was feeling something between them because Seunghyun did. Butterflies, he can butterflies in the core of his stomach. It was not something he usually feels when flirting around though Seunghyun can cope with it.

“Just so you know I prefer something with lace, silk and red” Jiyong’s eyes snapped at his words, a tease was trailed slowly along with a chuckle.

“It turns me on” unintentionally it came out growled, rougher and deeper.  Jiyong knows he was supposed to take the joke and laughed it off but his breath hitched when Seunghyun thumbed on his apple cheek, caressing it gently. The skin was lightly brushed against him and Jiyong was startled a bit but got a hold of himself after a moment. His blood was rushing through his whole body. A tingle ran down his spine as his cheeks start to blush.

“And I better head home before I can’t stop myself” he lowly mumbled because Seunghyun can feels something pooling downwards and it’s not good if he keeps this up. His mind was busy with images, imagining wild about something or rather someone. He wasn’t supposed to, Seunghyun reminded himself because suddenly he felt like a sinner.

Finally, Seunghyun landed on his foot and stood up straight, coughing a little. Shifting his jacket, Seunghyun moved to the door, pressing his lips altogether, hand gripping on the doorknob. If he has to pick, going back home is not an answer he would usually choose. He would rather continue despite the between them. However, the difference is its Kwon Jiyong. He’s not like any other girl he frequently sleeps with and even though he’s a boy, he seemingly more innocent and fragile than any girl he ever met. So going home must be the good choice, for now of course.

On the other hand, Jiyong awkwardly shifted in his seat. He hadn’t realized that he has been holding his breath until warmth no longer embraced him. His heart raced, fast and he felt tingling all over his body. Wait—this is not something he should worry about, remembering the forgotten incident earlier.

“Wait, s-so does this mean you’ll keep my secret?” it came out stuttering and Jiyong wanted to slap himself.

So he still thinking about that, Seunghyun thought in his mind as the corner of his lips lifted a little.

“No but we’ll talk about this tomorrow. Meet me at the rooftop as usual” Seunghyun beams. The gentle look made Jiyong’s heart beats. It’s familiar. Almost the same look like Dongwook hyung always had on his face. Hearing that Jiyong can only nod weakly.

“Sleep well” Seunghyun turned the knob but stopped halfway “Don’t forget to dream about me” the guys smirked, not forgetting to throw a wink and heartily chuckled after that. Walking out, Seunghyun closed the door with a bang.

 “Please, don’t beat heart. He’s definitely different from Dongwook hyung” Jiyong cooed, clutching onto his chest.

 

-

 

Something in him certainly has changed.

He could remember Taecyeon’s voice ringing in his eardrum, asking why he suddenly became talkative and cheerful and he just shrugged his shoulders. His lips curled in a smile and he could feel his chest buzzing in happiness as he laughed. It was weird but in a good way.

Black hair falling over his eyes was fixed to the side, school uniform was buttoned up and collar was popped up. The reflected image of him made Seunghyun hummed a vibrant tune. Looking over the window, the cloud and blue sky looked brighter than ever. The sun ray that shines through his curtain lifted his mood. It is time so Seunghyun reaches the tie on his bed and slung his beg over his shoulders. Today is going to be a good day for him, Seunghyun thinks.

He had arrived early again today so he decided to wait in front school gate. After a moment passed, Seunghyun could see Jiyong walking with his head down and book in his hand as usual. The boy puffed his cheek and pouted, eyes concentrated on his book. The taller just had to smile at the boy’s expressions, sending butterflies in the corner of his stomach. Wonder what made him pouted cutely like that?

“Here we go” Seunghyun adjusted his tie and fixed his hair for the umpteenth time, clearing his throat as well.

By the time he takes a step forward, someone suddenly came running and swung his arm on Kwon Jiyong, making him stopped on his spot. Who the heck? Jiyong looked quite surprised and annoyed at the same time when the book fell on the ground. Seunghyun gripped his fist and decided to ignore the interruption but he froze, smile quickly turned into a thin line. It seemed like Jiyong knows the boy beside him and greeted him with a smile. Seunghyun blinked hard as Jiyong patted the boy on the head with affection, causing him to gulp anxiously. It looked like they’re close with each other as well.

“Yo! This is a surprise. Choi Seunghyun came to the school early in the morning. Wow!” Taecyeon patted him at the back and laughed.

“Stop mocking me” Seunghyun glared, hitting Taecyeon’s arm.

“Ouch, damn it hurts. What’s with the bad mood anyway? Woke up on the wrong side of bed, huh?” Taecyeon hissed.

“Goooood morniiiiing, my brothers! This is charming Daesung in the house” Daesung came running and laid his arms on Taecyeon’s and Seunghyun’s shoulders, smiling widely. Shoving Daesung’s arm away, he dusted his shirt and glared.

“It’s early in the morning, Dae. No need to be so loud” Seunghyun grunted, eyes fleeting back to Jiyong, watching the boy’s action closely. The other kid on his side seemed very familiar, those bruises on his face along with bandaged arm.

“Now that’s just plain rude. You know he always play like this. What’s the matter with you, dude?” Taecyeon pushed Seunghyun’s shoulder hard after saw how Daesung’s expression turned sour, shoulders slumped down.

“Ah, it’s okay, hyung. Maybe it’s really my fault. Just let it go” Daesung held onto Taecyeon’s arm, restricting him from occurring any fight. Intense atmosphere clouded over them and Taecyeon’s loud voice has caught attention of some students passed by.

“Whatever” Seunghyun huffed angrily and turned, walking away, leaving the other two stood there clueless.

Taecyeon and Daesung decided to just get inside, ignoring Seunghyun’s bad mood. Eyes wandering around the school, Taecyeon tried to find what Seunghyun has been looking at and it made him stopped on the skinny figure. Kwon Jiyong walked passed him while chatting brightly with a boy on his side. He knew that boy. It was the same boy Seunghyun beaten up couple of nights before. Why are those two hanging around together?

 

-

 

Jiyong tapped his feet on the hard surface while sighing. Shifting uncomfortably every second, eyes constantly back on his watch. Where is this bastard? Second period is going to finish any minute now. What’s the bastard thinking? Does Seunghyun even remember to meet Jiyong on the rooftop? Jiyong clenched on his jaws and turned, deciding to leave.

Furious.

Just why is Seunghyun playing him like this?

“Kwon Jiyong!” a loud voice with a bang on his desk brought him to face with Mr. Kim, his English teacher.

“Do you find my class boring? You’ve been staring outside for a while now. Why? Is there anything fun you find outside?” Jiyong can only lowered his head.

Every pair of eyes is now looking at him in question, snorts and cheeky laugh also could be heard. Jiyong could feel heat rise up to his body and his head. On the corner, Dong Youngbae was also looking at him, making him bits his lower lips. He doesn’t need this attention. His teacher looked on his clean notebook and shook his head.

“Not even a note?” His teacher banged the desk again, harder the second time with his book. Everyone was startled upon the commotion. There were displeasing looks surrounding him so Jiyong tucks in his chin. There was blame pointing at him for disturbing the class and he felt even more ashamed. What the hell is he doing?

“I expect better from you, Kwon Jiyong. Meet me after class” Jiyong nods weakly.

Once the bells ring, he got lectured for almost 30 minutes from Mr. Kim, asking what is wrong with him but Jiyong can only shook his head and tuck his chin in deeper, Jiyong can’t bear to look on those disappointed eyes. He saw them before in his father eyes and it doesn’t make him feel any better. It’s worst. The burden on his shoulders somehow grew heavier and Jiyong felt his head spinning.

 ‘Get your head straight and study!’

That was the only sentence he could hear clearly in all those blabbering nonsense. Right. Get his head straight and focus on study is the only thing he should do. Nothing else matter except study. As soon as he get out from the office, Jiyong leans back against the door tiredly, taking some time digesting everything his teacher just said.

“Hey, you okay?” Youngbae gets up from his seat and walks towards Jiyong. He just shook his head and waved off Youngbae, ignoring him.

“Here. Maybe this could help you,”Youngbae hands out a pile of papers. Jiyong stopped and stare at him.

“Notes and exercises from me. You looked like had trouble catching up so I prepared some notes. The exam’s coming up so I think this should help you. Take it” he grabbed Jiyong’s hand and put it on his hand.

“Let’s go to the canteen. I prepared a lunch from home for us. I’m sure you will like it” there was again that smile.

Jiyong diverts his gaze from the notes to Youngbae’s face. Those eyes showed sincerity and those curls on his lips made Jiyong fumed. He saw himself inside those brown orbs, Jiyong took in a sharp breath. Messy hair and loose tie hanging around his neck, most of all, the expression he made. Does he look this pathetic? He closed his mouth tight.

There was loud silence, ringing his ear. Somewhere deep in him was mad and boiling, mixed emotions gathered on his chest. It was spilling, Jiyong can feel it. A hand reached for him but he backed up, avoiding it from touching his skin. A shrill ran down his spine and irritation seething in his pore. He can’t figure out why and that made him even angrier, it was bothering him.

“Jiyong?” Youngbae asked, wondering what’s going on.

“Why are you doing this?” Jiyong blurted.

“No reason. I just want to share my lunch with you and I thought it might make you happy”

“It’s annoying” Jiyong muttered.

“Huh?” the Mohawk guy’s face turned sour. Maybe he heard it wrong—

“I’m telling you, it’s annoying! Everything you’re doing is annoying and irritating the hell out of me” Jiyong burst, half-yelling. A streak of anger painted on his face, making Youngbae surprised at his sudden outburst.

“What are you talking about? We’re friends, aren’t we? You shouldn’t said something like this—I”

“Friends?” Jiyong quickly cuts him off, smirking. “We barely had a proper conversation and you’re telling me that we’re friends? Are you totally kidding me?!” he threw away the notes in his hands. It flew away, scattering around both of them. Youngbae watched as those notes fell on the tile and Jiyong walked, stepping on it.

“I know I looked pathetic. You don’t have to rub it on my face though. There’s no such term of friends between you and me. I don’t get it why you always treat me nice but let me tell you one thing. I won’t easily fall for it. I’m not stupid. And tell your friend, Choi Seunghyun to stop messing with my life. I don’t need you both” Jiyong walked past him by the shoulder.

“Choi Seunghyun doesn’t have anything to do with this, Jiyong” Youngbae stopped Jiyong.

“I know that you won’t easily open your heart to anyone but I never knew it was this hard. Dongwook hyung was right, you’re totally one in a million”

“D-dongwook hyung? What are you talking about?” he could feel his heart beats faster hearing that name.

“I promised Dongwook hyung to take care of you before he left” the sudden revelation made him nervous, eyes looking intently.

“For now, I’m not going to tell you anything. Just come to me when you’re all cool down and we’ll talk” he added.

With that Youngbae leaves him with a smile.

Seunghyun was nowhere to be found the whole day, leaving Jiyong with mixed emotions. Seunghyun’s not going to tell anyone about his secret, right? Jiyong looked at notes on his hands. Right after he burst out at Youngbae, he picked up those scattering notes and brought it along with him. He can’t leave it there anyway. Guilty quickly punching him in the guts, it’s not like him to lash at someone so suddenly. Jiyong hits head with his knuckles. Maybe it’s because his anger for Seunghyun didn’t showing up alongside with his humiliation in the class, resulting for him to act unreasonably.

Thinking again, was it true that Dongwook hyung knows Youngbae? What did Dongwook hyung tell Youngbae? Does it mean he can be trusted? Hearts racing impatiently and Jiyong felt restless, minds can’t stop processing. He needs answers because there are thousands of questions popping up in his mind.

 

-

 

Day by day, Jiyong found himself slipping into a bigger hole. Exhausted. His mind felt light-headed and his body was sore everywhere, especially in the limbs. Jiyong yawned as he walked to the canteen.

Juggling between studies and a job is really tiring. Last night, the club was packed with people and he was running around with drinks from a room to another. In the end he went back home by the time clock strike 3 in the morning. Right after that Jiyong had to stay up, studying his homework, afraid that he will left behind for the next day’s class. Unfortunately, he got yelled at in the class this morning for dozing off due to the lack of sleep.

“Thank you” Jiyong thanked the lady and pulled his tray against his chest. Now, where should he seat? There’s not much seat left, occupied with group of students everywhere so he walked slowly, searching.

His eyes met Youngbae and the guy just gives him a brief smile. They still haven’t talk to each other. Only communicate with switching glances. It was uncomfortable for both of them but Jiyong still hasn’t thought of anything. He doesn’t know how to approach the Mohawk guy so he thinks perhaps it was better to give both of them some space. He knows the other guy doesn’t mean any harm, at the same time he can’t bring himself to speak to Youngbae.

“Hyung! Come here” a voice called out for him. Seungri was waving his hand and motions to come over, sitting with him. Jiyong was grateful that he knows Seungri because no matter how noisy that kid is, he still is the who watched over and keep looking after Jiyong. In fact, the boy always makes sure he gets home safely after they finished working.

Just as he about to drag his leg, a tall figure hovers before him. Jiyong looks up found Seunghyun with his infamous smirk. Right—just when he thought Choi Seughyun is going to disappear from his life, here he is, head cocking to the side slightly, looking innocent like he did nothing wrong.

“Starting from today, you’re going to eat with me” the guy nudged on the side, a bunch of students, which he assumed are his friends were sitting around the table, there are some familiar faces Jiyong recognized but barely know about them. Narrowing his eyes, Jiyong moved, simply wasn’t in the mood playing with Seunghyun.

“Are you mad because I didn’t show up that day?” Seunghyun roughly grabbing onto his arm, turning him around, making some of his drink spilled a little.

“Why would I be?” Jiyong thought the stupid question shouldn’t have asked because—Hell, he is mad. He waited. Not for a minute or two but he skipped three classes in a day and that was a record.

“Because if you are, I’m sorry then. We’re done, right?” Seunghyun took Jiyong’s hand and shook it carelessly. There’s no emotion, empty. It’s rather more than an absurd because Choi Seunghyun was putting up an arrogant act and drives madness to claw on his chest. Jiyong turned his heel and left without a word.

“You must have waited for a long time because damn you look pretty mad! It was written all over your face and let me tell you, it’s not cute, Kwon” Seunghyun loud voice echoed through the canteen hall, it made Jiyong halted his track. Again, attention and fleeting glances are now on him. This guy must be out of his mind, Jiyong frowned.

“I understand. You must have something more important to take care of so don’t worry I’m not mad” he turned to face Seunghyun.

“Oh please no. Don’t misunderstand I don’t even have anything to take care of that day. I’m not even sick. In fact, I don’t have any excuse for you to put up with”

“Are you telling me that you intentionally ditched me that day?” he asks in a barely controlled voice. Anger taking over his body, knuckles was turning white as he gripped tighter on his tray.

“Yeah, I could say I did”

“And you weren’t sorry?”

“I don’t think so. Nope. Clearly not” Seunghyun clicked his tongue.

“You know, I hope this answers your question so we could stop this whole dramatic scene and continue eating. Shall we?” Seunghyun said dramatically swept his sweat and gestured Jiyong to his table. The boy was a bit sceptical as he turned to look at Seungri and looks back on his tray. Seunghyun watched his actions and curled his lips as Jiyong walks to him.

Victory is on his side, Seunghyun beamed brightly and darted his gaze on Seungri, smirking wider when the boy’s shoulder dropped down. He’s not going to let anyone touch Kwon Jiyong. By hook or by crook, Choi Seunghyun didn’t plan on letting go of that boy. His triumph didn’t last long until he felt a splash, slapping him across the face and making him jumped a little. Seunghyun closed his eyes, palms swept over the liquid and swiftly snapped his eyes open.

A loud gasped was heard, followed by a moment of shocked silence. “Does it hurt your ego?” Jiyong boldly met his smouldering gaze. He could see Seunghyun fidgeting uncomfortably, bothered by his wet shirt sticking to his skin.

“What?” he asked for a confirmation, stricken facial expression. Seunghyun didn’t get it; clearly felt challenged at how the boy bravely holds his gaze, assumingly he was not sorry for what just happen.

“Does. It. Hurt. Your Ego?” Jiyong emphasized every word loud and clear for the whole canteen to hear, furrowing his brow.

“I hope it did since it’s purely intentional but I hope you’re not mad” Jiyong paused, leaning in and took Seunghyun hands, shaking it.

“Because if you are, I’m sorry then. We’re done, right?” He repeated Seunghyun’s words.

Jiyong turned his back and quickly reached Seungri’s table, leaving Seunghyun to stand there motionless. Taecyeon and Daesung came to his side, asking if he’s okay but he pushed them away and walked out of the canteen hall. Meanwhile, Seungri was staring Jiyong as he eats his food. Puffing his cheeks, Jiyong just continued munching his rice. It’s okay. Just ignore them, Jiyong chanted in his mind. He was surprised by his actions too honestly. He never thought he had that kind of side in him but it felt good. Just hoping things won’t turn worst after this.

 

-

 

Undoubtedly, his hope went down the drain.

There he is again, sitting on his chair with legs folded on his desk, chin tilted upward arrogantly as he waited for Jiyong. Taecyeon and Daesung also present by his side, face looking unmistakably scary like they mean serious business. Jiyong inhaled his breath, calmly walk into his class. His classmates were looking too since it is a rare sight for someone like Choi Seunghyun to pay a visit in a top student class.

“What are you doing on my seat?” Jiyong asked in a low voice, self-conscious that there’s audience around him.

“Well, I thought of something to ask you for forgiveness so I figured to have a talk with you about your secret in your class, in here, right now. Everyone must be curious so I hope it’s okay that we have some witnesses” Seunghyun folded his arms against his chest, smiling.

“If you’re doing this just to piss me off then it’s positively working. Can you stop this nonsense now?” Jiyong tried to lower his tone but it cracked somewhere as he saw Seunghyun’s eyes flicked back at him.

“No”

“Choi Seunghyun, please” it came out like plead, defeated shown on his face. Jiyong didn’t see this coming.

“Wow!-” Seunghyun applauses loudly, mocking him. “For a moment, I thought I’m seeing a different Kwon Jiyong back there. Is this really the person who threw water on my face?” Seunghyun gets up and grabbed his jaws hard, turning it left and right as if inspecting each angle.

“Choi Seunghyun! Let him go” Youngbae ran to his side, unfortunately was blocked by both Taecyeon and Daesung. Seunghyun turned his jaw to make Jiyong look at Youngbae’s direction, groaning in protest.

“Oh look, your saviour come to the rescue, Prince Dong Youngbae” Seunghyun chuckled. He was puzzled at the brunette’s words, there’s a hint of jealousy but maybe he’s just imagining. The boy was struggling because he’s having a hard time to breath, anxious. A shaky feeling in the pit his stomach.

“I suppose if you have this weak side of yours, there will be no fun anymore, Kwon Jiyong” Seunghyun retaliate harsh, forcing Jiyong to face him. His heart flinched when he saw hurt in the boy’s eyes.

“Fun? I’m not playing games with you, Choi” Jiyong held in his breathe, his chest was pounding hard, rise and fall as he was trying hard to façade mask on his face. He almost forgot with who he’s dealing with until this moment.

“Really? I thought you were declaring a war back there in the canteen because you were looking undeniably confident. Too confident. Thankfully, it was a misunderstanding. What a waste, I’m about to warm up. It has been a while since I played around with someone” Seunghyun let him go, faking a sad expression. Jiyong eventually collapsed on the ground, breathing heavily.

“I guess we should start discussing about your secret in private now” Seunghyun finished, squatting next to him.

 

-

 

 “Let go of me, you bastard!”Jiyong yanked back his wrist and rubbed on the part that hurts. Now that they’re finally alone on the rooftop, his anger was spilling out. The wind was strong today, slapping against skin, hairs flowing along.

“If you’re going to talk please be quick or else I’m going back to my class” Jiyong said out of impatient. A thrill ran through his body, afraid if he stayed longer than he should something bad will happen to him. Moreover, Choi Seunghyun looked like he was capable doing anything.

“Why are you hanging around Lee Seungri? Didn’t he was the one that spread the video about you?  Are the bruises on his face still not enough? Did he beg you for it?” Seunghyun tried to maintain his voice.

“Whoever I friend with is none of your business, Choi”

“Friends? How naïve are you to easily forgive someone like that? Are you that stupid? He has something up his sleeve, Kwon. Can’t you see it? How can you believe someone like that?”

“At least he proved his words with his actions unlike someone”

“Is that why you choose to have a meal with him over me?” Seunghyun cocked his mouth, teeth gritting. He waited but Jiyong just shrug off his question as if it was not important to begin with.

Frustration tugging strings of his nerve and long fingers are itching to snap something. His dry throat wasn’t making any better. Seunghyun pulls out his cigar and lit it up. However, due to strong wind the fire failed from flicking. He tried it again and exhaled a sharp breath. Again and again, yet still fail miserably so Seunghyun tossed it aside to the ground with the cigarette.

“Goddamn! it!” He pulled his hair and kicked the wall. He never felt so mad before. Those gushing emotions were killing him, choking him in the throat because Seunghyun swears he wanted to kill someone. And that someone is Lee Seungri.

Seunghyun whipped his head around, lifting his lips a bit “Remember the time I saved you from death, Kwon? This time it’s your turn to pay me back. There’s a saying, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Since, I saved your life before, I want you to pay me back with your body. From now onwards, you are going to be my runner”

“Runner?” he looked incredulously, watching Seunghyun strolled nearer till Jiyong was backed up on the wall.

“Yes, runner. You know like running errands for me, buying me foods and drinks, doing homework for me, things like that. I’m sure you’re already familiar with it. Everyone must have done it once in their life and now, I’m giving you a chance to experience it” Seunghyun put up his arms on either Jiyong’s face, invading his privacy as he bore a hole on his face.

“You’re kidding me. I told you, Choi. I don’t have time to play around with you. My hands already full enough with job and schools” There’s no way Jiyong would agree with this nonsense. He could barely keep up with his life and he doesn’t need another activity to turn his life upside down.

“And I didn’t tell you that you have a choice, Kwon” Seunghyun spats bitterly.

“If you go against me, just prepare to be a drop-out student and say bye-bye to your teachers” he exclaimed, as they stared each other with Seunghyun looking plainly nonchalant about the whole matter.

“You wouldn’t dare” Jiyong shifted in his feet, wondering whether those words were serious or not.  It’s not too late to run, Jiyong thinks and glanced at the door. The guy noticed this but what made Jiyong anxious was his brow; his unamused brow. As if he knew what exactly his thinking.

“Just try to escape from me once and I’ll make you regret it. Don’t tempt me, Kwon. I can assure you, you haven’t seen the devil in me yet” Seunghyun finally speaks, dangerously threatening. The next moment Jiyong fixed his gaze ahead, he saw evil glint was twinkling in his eyes.

“Oh please, don’t be so scared. You make me look like a villain. Smile” He lowered his head only to be stopped by Seunghyun’s hand, curling behind his neck so Jiyong forced a smile on his lips.

Oh gosh—what hell he got himself into?

 

 

____________________________________________