Chapter 20

A TRAVELLER'S DILEMMA

“Does Kim usually wakes up late?”

“Ay madam, hindi naman ho. Ngayon lang kasi galing sya sa byahe kahapon.”

“Gisingin mo na, Elvie. Tell her, the table is waiting.” Alberto says.

 

Kim’s parents arrived from Davao that morning, they went straight at Kim’s condo unit to see her because they will head to California the next day.

 

“Kim? Kim?” Elvie tries to shake her.

She had a hard time waking up that’s why her mood wasn’t that good. She headed her way to the dining area and saw her mom and dad. “Hi mom.” And Kim gave a kiss on her cheek. “Dad.” She adds.

“How are you darling?”

“I’m doing good.” Kim yawns.

“Kim, stop yawning in front of the table. Have you forgotten about your manners?” her dad says while reading the newspaper.

“Sorry po.”

“Hon, don’t be so hard on Kim, ngayon na nga lang kayo nagkita, papagalitan mo pa.”

And Alberto resumed reading. “Anak, do you have anything to ask? We are going to America tomorrow for another business trip, our company hasn’t been doing good lately. That’s why we have to stay on focus. I f you want you can come with us and have your vacation again, Cali is good.”

“No ma, I will stay here. Don’t worry. I am used to it.”

“Baka kung ano anong kalokohan ang ginagawa mo dito kaya ayaw mo umalis.”

“Dad, look. Don’t blame me if you don’t have any idea of what is going on here. One day you will be surprised, I got a car accident! I am in jail! I am pregnant! Can’t you just stay here with me even for a month? Ah.. I get it. This won’t make any sense. I apologize, excuse me.” And Kim went inside her room.

Anita is about to follow Kim but Alberto stopped her. “Hayaan mo sya. Malaki na yan. She knows what she is exactly doing. Paano nya makakaya mag-isa palagi kung alam nyang may aalalay sa kanya.”

“That is my very point Alberto! Kim grew up without us. Kaya sya ganyan. We never know baka may suppressed feelings yan na hindi masabi sa atin. For once please let me take care of my daughter.

 

“Kim?”

“Ma. I’m sorry. It just spit out.”

“I know anak, I understand. Don’t you?”

“I do, Ma.”

Anita started to brush Kim’s hair. “Alam mo ba, noong bata ako, lagi ako sinusuklayan ng Lola mo bago ako matulog, para daw paggising ko, maganda pa rin ako. Sabi ko sa kanya, pag nagkaanak ako, gusto ko babae, kasi para aayusan ko yung buhok nya, bibilhan ko sya ng magagandang damit, laruan, lahat ng gusto nya bibilin ko para maging masaya sya. Kasi ako, deprived ako sa mga bagay na yun. Oo mahal ako ng lolo’t lola mo, pero malaki ang sama ng loob ko sa kanila kasi never ko naranasan magkaroon ng laruan na maganda. Inggit na inggit ako sa mga classmates ko. Kaya sabi ko sa sarili ko  magsisikap ako. Para yung magiging baby girl ko, maging maswerte. Pero mali ako, nilamon ako ng pangarap ko, masayang masaya ako nung dumating ka sa buhay namin ng papa mo, pero akala ko material na bagay ang kailangan mo para maging masaya gaya ng inaakala ko. Hindi pala. Sorry Kim ah. Naibigay ko nga ang lahat lahat sayo, pero lumaki kang naghahanap ng nanay at tatay dahil nabulagan ako. Paano mo nga naman kami ipagmamalaki sa ibang tao kung hindi naman namin maibigay lahat ng kailangan mo. Ako kasi noon hindi ko napagmayabang na magaling ang mama at papa ko, alam kong maling mali, pero nandun na yun eh. Kaya hinihingi ko ngayon ang pangunawa mo, anak.”

 

Kim hugged her mom, and let her tears fall down. “Ma, I admit. At first, super happy ako, kasi lahat ng toys ako unang nagkakaroon in my circle, pero nung nagdalaga ako, hindi na pala ako masaya.  Walang sumusuporta sakin. Walang pumupuri sakin. Walang nagsasabing proud sila sakin. Tiniis ko lahat yun ‘coz I was considering every word that you say. Na para sakin yung hardwork nyo. Pero ngayon, wala na yun, nasanay na rin kasi ako. Don’t worry ma, trust me.”

“I know anak, I know. Hindi bale, I think this will be my last year in the business, next year I might file my early retirement, pagod na rin ako.”

“Kung saan ka masaya ma, I love you so much mommy.”

“I love you too, baby. My one and only baby.”

 

Kim and Anita somehow fixed the dilemma between them but that doesn’t mean that they are spending more quality time for Kim after that. They still have to work, work and work!

 

Kim almost forgotten about Gerald’s launch party that night, he gave her a call to remind her of the said event. “Oopps.. babe sorry, nakalimutan ko. I’ll be ready in an hour. I will wait for you here.”

 

“As always, okay I will give you a call again, make it fast.”

 

Kim’s parents went home to prepare the things they needed for their trip. Their company’s sales are merely decreasing, so as they have said they have to exert extra efforts to keep their business in the market. They are into furniture making, they make chairs, tables and beds for large industries like hotels and their products are also available at some department stores in the Philippines which happened to own by Gerald’s parents.

 

 

“You look stunning!” Gerald stares at Kim from head to toe.

“Let’s go?”

 

“Kinakabahan ako sa speech ko.” He says.

“Ano ka ba, you have been speaking in front of million people in your younger years, eh eto mga Pinoy lang kakabahan ka pa.”

“Ano ka ba, shempre, iba yung doon, iba dito.”

Kim held his hand and told him to take a deep breath. “Pagkabahan ka, look at me.” And she gave a sweet smile.

“I love you babe.”

“I love you too.. “ Kim gave him a smack on the lips.

 

Gerald introduces Kim to every business person he meets, even to the smallest person in the party. He keeps on saying that she is his inspiration.

 

It is time for his speech and he left Kim with Pocholo, his cousin. “Bro, this will be fast, look after Kim, thanks!”

 

“…………………………………..to my parents who never stopped believing in me from the very start, this is all for you, I love you, mom, dad and to the one dearest to me, my girl, my love, my inspiration, Kim. Thanks for being there for me, for loving me for who I am, for your undying support, I love you babe.”

 

Everyone applauses for his 1 paged speech. Gerald’s parents expressed how proud they are because of him and that they are very lucky to have him as their son.

 

After the speech, Kim headed to the comfort room to retouch. Gerald saw and followed her right away, he waited until she finishes her stuffs. “Oh!” Kim says in horror. “Ano’ng ginagawa mo dyan sa labas?” she adds.

 

Gerald held her tightly by the waist and pushed her body towards him, “I love you. Thanks for everything.”

 

“Babe, ano ka ba, wag ka mag thank you. Wala naman akong ginawa for you to have the guts to talk in front of people.”

 

“Eh syempre, ikaw ang inspirasyon ko, love you!” He kissed her on the lips trying not to make it so passionate to avoid catching attention from the other guests.