Chapter 11

A TRAVELLER'S DILEMMA

Gerald walks from left to right with all his tension, thinking of the next step to make while Kim sits on the bed in silence. “What are we going to do now?” she asks.

Gerald knelt down, held her hands, “Sorry ah, nadamay ka pa. Hindi ko kasi alam gagawin ko eh. Nagbago lahat sa isipan ko.” He mutters.

“Nandyan na yan eh, hayaan mo na. Isipin na lang natin kung anong gagawin na palusot.”

He stood up, in deep breath. Kim’s face blooms, “Halika, labas muna tayo, alam mo kailangan natin? Fresh air.” She winked pulling his arms towards the door.

 

***

Kim spread her both arms, and turned around like a princess in a grand ball. Sniffing the fresh air under the sun that was about to set. Gerald took a seat on the bench near them. Leaned back and crossed his arms to his chest. Kim noticed him, “I usually go here when I feel nothing is going to be right. Kapag feeling ko inaapi ako ng buong mundo.” She smiled.

 

“Ikaw? Nararamdaman mong naaapi ka?” he uttered.

“OO naman ano, hmp!” she looked for a coin inside her bag and gave it to him.

“Ano naman ‘to?” he asked.

“Barya.”

“I know, pero anong gagawin ko dito?” he briskly asked. “Don’t tell me you are going to ask me to make a wish then toss it to the bay?” he adds.

“You got it right! Come on do it! Do not be shy. I always do that whenever I have wishes.”

Gerald smirked, “Tumigil ka nga, ano yan wishing well?” he laughed. “Why don’t you try it first?”

“Ayoko, wala naman akong wish eh. Kung ayaw mo e di wag.”

Kim saw the fishball man roaming around the bay walk. “Pabili po.” She bought two sticks for them and gave one to Gerald. “What is this?”

“Fishball! Masarap yan. Tikman mo.”

After eating, Kim next bought gulaman. “Oh, panulak.” She says.

“Thank you.”

Gerald felt a bit uneasy eating but he realized how simple Kim’s life could be when they are together. Kim is not the kind of girl that he thought at first, who spends money for things without making any sense, the sozy-girl that knows nothing but to party and shop. He is afraid he is falling in love with her. As much as he wanted to make his self believe that Kim could be the right one for him, he just cannot agree on it.

“Oh ayan busog ka na? Balik na tayo? Kaso wala pa rin tayo naisip na paraan ano?” Kim sighed. “Magwish ka na kasi bago tayo umalis.” Kim lends him the coin again but he refused for the second time. “Ang KJ mo halika na nga.”

They walked side by side together with the sunset, cold breeze of the wind and splashes of water beneath them.

When they reached the road, they are about to cross, Gerald put his arm to her left and carefully led her. Kim looked at him amazingly. She heard invisible wind chimes again that she only hears whenever she feels cared and loved.

At the hotel lobby, “Gerald! Follow me please.” His mom uttered.

He signaled Kim to follow them, he held her hands as her fingers filled the spaces between Gerald’s and walked jittery.

“I have talked to Pam’s parents and they were very disappointed with you.” Mom in high tone. “I cannot believe this, how dare you? You didn’t even let me know about this.I have fixed everything about your wedding and then what?”

“Mom, I’m sorry but can Kim excuse herself?”

Mom shrugs off. Gerald held Kim by the shoulders and whispered. “Usap muna kami babe.”

Kim went to her room with pale complexion.

“Mom.” Sighed.

Gerald sat down and cajoled his head below. “I love her. I don’t know how, I don’t know why. But I got this strange happy feeling whenever I am with her. She makes me smile.”

“Son, I understand you. I know how it feels to be in love, but my point is, why didn’t you tell me? I don’t know how I could face Pamela’s parents with all these embarrassments.”

“Im sorry.” He muttered. “All my life I have obeyed you, and Dad. I fulfilled every dream you dreamt of me. Ngayon Ma, ako naman. Para sa sarili ko, ako magdedecide. Can’t you just trust me?”

“Fine. Your Dad will be having dinner with us later, talk to him. Invite Kim, arrange things and by the way, how long have you been together? Saan mo ba nakilala iyan?”

“It is long story, I am afraid she is waiting for me. Can we just talk about it some other time?”

Mom raised her brows and let Gerald leave the room.