Chapter 17

A TRAVELLER'S DILEMMA

The next morning, Kim is planning to buy food stuffs for her Daddy lolo and her Mamita for she will visit them by tomorrow at Batangas, there they own their largest farm with 8 horses, 12 cows, and poultry. They also have trees that bear fruits and a rice field. She called Gerald to accompany her at the mall. “Ge? Can you come with me? I need to buy something for my grandparents.”

“Sure, pero coding ako. We can hail a cab instead.”

“No, I’ll pick you up. Let us use my car. It is no big deal.”

So they agreed with each other, Kim picked him up at their house, she did not bother to get down the car because Gerald’s parents aren’t there anyway.

“What are you going to buy?” Gerald asks while driving. They switched places.

“I do not know yet, maybe pastries, or what. Sama ka sakin? Please. I will stay there for three days lang naman eh, para makita mo na rin iyong farm namin doon.”

“Okay, sige. Next Monday pa naman ‘yung welcome party ko sa company eh, basta promise mo you’ll come with me too.”

“Oo ba, party pala eh.” She smiles.

They are hitting 3 blocks away from the mall, when suddenly…

Gerald went down the car and found out that the car overheated. “Kim?”

“Naku sorry, hindi ko pala napacheck sa mekaniko kung in good condition tong sasakyan. Ngayon ko na lang kasi ulit nagamit yan mula noong galing akong states eh.” Kim says while biting her nails.

“It’s okay, no worries. Let us hail a taxi. I will call a towing service.” He says.

They waited for taxis to come but all of them were occupied. Kim started to look a bit impatient. Gerald saw the LRT station above them, “Babe? San tayo bababa if we ride the train?”

“Are you kidding? Ang dami kayang tao dyan! I have no plans of getting harassments.”

“Hindi naman siguro, eh that is the only way eh, kesa naman jeep.”

“Hay nako. Ang malas malas ko naman!”

She had nothing to do so she agreed to him, Gerald bought the tickets, “It is my first time here.”

“Ako rin noh! Akin na nga yan.” Kim smirked.

Gerald followed her and they waited for the next trip.

“Sabi naman ng guard we will only need three stations to be there eh.” And he put his arms at Kim’s shoulders trying to make it up to her.

Kim crossed her arms to her chest and squinted.

The train arrived with hundreds of passengers inside. Gerald hugged her from behind and pushed her body on him to protect from the crowd. There were no available seats so they remained standing. Gerald’s left hand gripping the safety rail while his other hand at Kim’s body. They are facing each other, he noticed her frown, and so he leaned his nose towards her face. “Smile na.” he says.

Kim still ignored him, and looked down.

“Kapag di ka nagsmile hahalikan kita.”

“I do not care!” she says.

Gerald gave her a smack despite of the numerous numbers of people inside. After the kiss, he pushed her towards him even tighter and cajoled her face to lean onto his chest.

Everytime the train will stop they will both be out balanced that is why he makes it a point to handle her gently.

 

After 15 minutes, they reached the mall. Gerald noticed Kim’s sweat. He get his hanky from his pocket and wiped her face down to her nape, Kim smiled at him.

 

 

“Have you decided what to buy?” he asks.

“I think I will just bring those jams and some pastries.”

“What about a basket of fruits?”

“I told you we have farm of fruits there too, remember?”

“Oh I see.”

“Oh! Wine! My Daddy Lolo loves wine that can only find here at Manila.”

As they reached the liquor station, Gerald suggested his favorite wine, “You know this is the most popular wine in our town, it has a refreshing taste kinda sweet and best with ice.”

“Sure? Okay let’s try this. Daddy drinks any kind of wine, basta wine.”

“And what’s for your Lola?”

“Hmm.. They don’t really need anything from me, gusto ko lang syempre kahit papaano may bitbit para sa kanila. I’ll buy sponge cake for her. I think that would be enough.”

 

 

***

“Si Manong Erwin na lang ang magdrive okay? ‘Wag ka na magpumilit.” Kim says. “Just leave you car sa parking lot and we’ll use our van.” She adds.

Gerald had nothing to do but to let Erwin to drive for them to Batangas. They will be there for three days.

“Did you have your lunch?” Kim asks.

“I had my heavy breakfast two hours ago. You?”

“I’m full. Yaya cooked lunch for me.”

Gerald anchored his left arm at Kim’s shoulder while she is facing the window. She looks stunning in her oversized shades, short shorts and an orange polo. He runs his fingers at her arms up and down and squeezes her body. Kim faced him and gave a sweet kiss. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Kim fell asleep on his shoulders, he turned her face to his chest and covered it by his hands as he put Kim’s arms around his body.

Erwin cannot control the rough road. Kim woke up feeling dizzy. “Nahihilo ka?” Gerald asks.

“Oo. Parang. May candy ka ba jan?”

Gerald doesn’t have any candies but Erwin offered a minty one. “Thanks kuya.”

Gerald cajoled Kim’s head and let it rest. “Parang nasusuka ako.”

“Oh don’t do this for the third time.” He smiles. “Okay here, take this.” He gave her a sando bag.

“Ma’am gusto nyo mag stop over muna tayo?” Erwin says.

“Oh sige ho manong para makahinga si Kim.”

They stopped in a gasoline station.

“You want anything from the store?”

“Water will do. Thanks.”

Gerald bought three bottles of water for them and a bag of mint candy.  “Aren’t you hungry?”

“No I’m fine.” Kim says in low tone.

Gerald wiped her forehead trying to give her a gentle massage.

 

One more hour and they will be there. Kim decided to play her Ipad. She shares the other pair of earphone with Gerald. She noticed that his eyes are falling. She grabbed the pillow and placed in on her lap, “Stretch you legs and lay down.”  She put his head on her lap and wraps her arms around his neck while giving kisses all over his face. From his forehead, to his nose, cheeks, chin and finally on his lips. Kim gave her an open-mouth kiss as he pushed her head towards his face.

After that sweet and enchanting moment, Gerald fell asleep.