THREE

The One That Got Away

 

-Flashback-

“I can’t find him everywhere.” I whined out loud, puffing my cheeks out and slumping my body on the couch in Daeyoung’s room.

“Get out! I don’t want to keep listening to your whines all day long!” Daeyoung laughed when he wrapped something that seemed to be a chocolate bar in baby blue, glittery wrappers.

“But I really can’t get in contact with him! What kind of couple that doesn’t go out on Valentine’s day?” but Daeyoung didn’t even take a glance at me, making me pout even further and have the urge to break his concentration tying up those ribbons. “Yah, the ribbons are messed up! No girls would want to receive that kind of messy gift.”

Daeyoung finally turned his attention to me, there was that infamously irritating smirk on his lips. “Oh really? Don’t you know how many girls would kill just to get this from me?”

I rolled my eyes, sometimes my brother just had to be full of himself. “Oh, there is? I thought their favorite is Hyukjae Oppa.” I reflected the smirk he was giving me.

“Yah! I told you I’m their favorite! And that would never, ever change.”

“I don’t know.” I shrugged my shoulders innocently. “You can’t dance like him. You messed up at your Prom, remember?” I chuckled, causing his cheeks to turn red in embarrassment. If that mortifying accident didn’t happen, I believe he would at least be the runner up for Prom King. Well, the first winner was Hyukjae.

“Yah, Kang Nayoung!” he shouted, getting on his feet, unconsciously leading the incompletely wrapped chocolate to slide off his lap. With a soft ‘thud’, the white chocolate broke into several pieces on the floor. And Daeyoung was utterly shocked, his eyes went big at the sight of his ruined ‘masterpiece’.

I was about to laugh maniacally for his hilarious expression when I felt my phone vibrated in my jeans pocket. I fished it out and looked at the screen, finding his name there. A grin was soon creeping up my lips as I stepped out of the room.

“Yah, Kang Nayoung! Where are you going?! You’re responsible with my hand-made chocolate! YAH!” Daeyoung’s angry shouts didn’t stop even after I closed my bedroom’s door.

I wasn’t even paying attention to what he was shouting. I was busy grinning like a fool as I saw his name as the caller ID once again, bouncing up and down to ease away the nervousness.

Taking a deep breath, I picked the call up.

“Hello?” I greeted shyly, sitting on the bed with my heart pounding hard against my ribcage.

“Hi, Nana.” He replied softly, making me grin from ear to ear.

Nana is a nickname given by him when I had my 16th birthday – two years ago, right before he confessed to me and asked me to be his girlfriend. For these sweet 2 years with him, being happy was an understatement. With him, I was beyond contented.

“Happy Valentine’s day,” however, I noticed his voice was croaked.

“Oppa, are you okay?”

“Come... to dinner with me... tonight.” He stuttered quickly, instead of answering my question. I mentally squealed in commotion. How cute, he was still shy asking me to dinner even after two years of dating! Gosh, my boyfriend was so innocent with this kind of things.

“I’d love to,” I bite my lip to prevent bursting out giggles.

He laughed nervously. “I’ll pick you up at six?”

“Okay,” I answered. “What should I wear?”

“It’s up to you. Everything looks good on you, anyway.” He told me cheekily, making my cheeks burning red. “Hey, I’ve got to go now. See you at six, baby.”

“See you... Ah, w-wait, Oppa..” I paused when he was about to hang up, gathering the courage to say this one thing. Inhaling a deep breath, I muttered slowly, “I... I love you, Hyukjae Oppa.”

There, I said it. It had been so hard for me to tell him that I no more liked him, I loved him. Deeply. It took me months to gather all the courage to say it to him, but at this moment, I couldn’t bear it anymore. The feeling was overwhelming in my chest and there was a voice at the back of my head saying that I should tell him soon. Which I finally did. And I could have sworn my heart was so ready to explode if he replied my confession.

But unfortunately, he didn’t.

“Uhh... Bye, Nana.” He said awkwardly with a more croaked voice before hanging up.

The smile disappeared from my face when a slight pang could be felt in my chest. I pressed my lips together and tried encouraging myself.

It’s okay, Nayoung-ah. Maybe he’s not ready yet to tell you the same. Just wait more patiently.

 

At the evening, I prepared myself, getting ready for the dinner. I wore the prettiest dress I’ve ever had, my favorite heels, and a light make-up. I wanted this dinner to be perfect. After checking up on my reflection in the mirror for the millionth time and making sure I looked decent enough to be brought to a dinner, I walked down the stairs. And I could hear his voice laughing melodically from the living room with Daeyoung and my parents. My heart started racing again.

“Oh, that’s Nayoung.” My mother smiled at the sight of me on the stairs. All of the eyes were soon diverted to me, and the three guys; my dad, Daeyoung, and Hyukjae Oppa – looked at me with their eyes widened.

“What? Do I look weird?” I asked nervously. The first person to speak up was my dad.

“Weird? You look gorgeous! I even thought my baby girl was a falling angel.” My dad commented.

“Appa!” blushing, I nudged him on his arm.

Before I could steal a glance of Hyukjae Oppa, Daeyoung stood in front of me, getting on the way between me and him. “Hmm, not bad.” He nodded his head cockily while his eyes scanned me up and down, earning a smack from my mother.

“What’s with the comment? You’re making her nervous in front of Hyukjae! Your sister is really pretty!” my mother scolded him, before winking at Hyukjae. “Right, Hyukjae?”

Being shy as he is, he just nodded his head and looked at me warmly. He stepped closer, making sure to keep my gaze meet his. “You’re so beautiful, Nana-yah.” He said sweetly with a noticeable flush on his cheeks, before taking my hand in his. Just the touch of his hand was enough to send chills down my spine. “Uncle, Auntie, and Daeyoung-ah, we’re going now.”

“Be careful on your drive.” My mother smiled at him.

“Take care of my baby girl, Hyukjae-ah.” My dad patted his shoulder.

“Take your time babysitting her, bro!” was all Daeyoung said before earning another good smack from my mother. I just stuck my tongue out when he glared at me for laughing at his wince.

The drive to the restaurant was filled with a comfortable silence. Sometimes we would steal a glance of each other, and when our eyes met, we would laugh shyly. He was so handsome in that tux that it was hard not to keep looking at him. His hair was styled up neatly, making him even more perfect in my eyes.

My, my. Lee Hyukjae and his spell to me.

When we arrived at the restaurant, he was being a very sweet gentleman, pulling the chair for me to sit on it. As he whispered something to the waiter, my eyes scanned the restaurant. It was reserved for us, I could tell, since no one came to the restaurant except us. There was a grand piano at the corner, the pianist playing romantic songs smoothly – which totally quieted me down in awe. Not to mention the interior of the restaurant was beautifully decorated.

“Do you like it?” Hyukjae Oppa asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I nodded my head excitedly. “This is so beautiful, Oppa.”

“Just like you.” He winked at me in approval, making my face burning hot.

“Aish, CheesyHyuk.” I cupped my face in embarrassment.

Soon, the food came with the drinks. The dinner was very satisfying for me, for I haven’t met Hyukjae Oppa for quite awhile. He was busy doing this and that, so we didn’t really have the time to frequently go on dates like the way we used to. Nonetheless, this dinner made up for it. He would occasionally feed me, wiping the sauce at the corner of my lips, or just simply staring at me deeply with those wonderful chocolate oceans in his eyes when I was talking.

“Are you happy?” he laughed when I kept on beaming foolishly.

“Of course! All these things are amazing!” I answered heartily. We exchanged warm, contented glances for awhile until I found myself being drowned in his charms. And without hesitation, I blurted it out again. “I love you, Oppa.”

Little did I know my words would erase the smile on his face. He quickly lowered his eyes so that he wouldn’t meet mine again and inhaled deeply.

“This is it.” I faintly heard him whispering to himself. Before I could understand his gesture, he spoke up softly, his eyes meeting mine again. “Kang Nayoung,” he called out solemnly. “All these times with you are the most colorful moments of my life. You’ve been the most amazing girl I’ve ever seen. You make me understand things that I didn’t. You give me the chance to feel all the happiness I haven’t felt. I... I know I’m not good at speaking this kind of thing but I just... want to thank you for being a perfect girlfriend for these past two years.”

I nervously smiled. His words are so sweet, sounding so truthful. I could tell he was much more nervous saying those sentences to me, just by looking how he fidgeted his fingers. I couldn't help but adore him even more. You're the perfect one, Oppa. I just wanted to wrap this moment with us.

However, there was something I didn't understand; the way he looked at me. His eyes were like a window for me to see what's inside his deepest heart. But at that moment, they didnt show me the happiness that I expected to see. 

“Nayoung-ah,” he forced a smile on his lips. That was, until I realized his eyes were becoming red and teary.

“O-oppa, why are you cry-”

“Let’s break up.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heyyy readers and subbies, I'm updating! ^^

Sorry if it's kinda short, but I hope this chapter can represent how inlove she was with Hyukjae before they broke up.

Oh! And the next chapter would be the continuation of this flashback (I hope you don't get confused with me separating the flashback into two chapters, though)

So stay tuned! And I'm looking forward to your comments and subscribes :DD

Have a great daaayy~~ ^_^