Decretum

Reminiscence

 

“What’s going on hyung? What’s wrong with Hongki hyung?”

“Seunghyun I think it’s time we admit him into a facility.”

 

He looks at me – eyes petrified with fear.

 

“….Hyung. Why so sudden? You should know better than anyone else what they’ll do to him there.”

“I know Seunghyun. That’s why we need to –“

“For Christ’s sake hyung! Why is it that you want to admit Hongki hyung into a psychiatric facility?! Are you sick of taking care of him? Are you breaking our promise?! Isn’t Hongki hyung the reason why we both became psychologists in the first place?! It was so that we could protect him after he left! That was his last wish to us and now – now you just –“

 

He broke down hitting the ground with all the strength he could muster into his fists yelling “why”.

 

“Seunghyun. He’s been cutting himself. I found a cut on his left arm and from the looks of it – it wasn’t any more than two days old. However his other arm…”

 

Silence enveloped the atmosphere. His head turned towards me, his tearstained eyes meeting mine, resonating fear.

 

“How - How long has it been going on?”

“Judging from the scars on his right, I would have to say around three years.”

“Three years?”

“Yeah. I’m guessing it started when he lost him. I….I should have noticed sooner. I shoul –“

 

I break down into tears. The guilt began to consume me. If only I had noticed this sooner we could have avoided this situation. He continues to look at me and slowly he gets up and walks towards me, gently patting my back, in between tears.

 

“Hyung it’s not your fault. Shhhhhhhhh. It’s going to be okay. We’re going to help him and before you know it we’ll be back to how we used to be when he was alive – just the three of us laughing like how we used to. So don’t cry hyung. Please don’t cry.”

 

Seunghyun’s right. I need to be strong. Strong for Hongki. Slowly I get back up on my feet.

 

“Seunghyun.”

“Yeah Hyung?”

“We need to admit him and we need to do it soon before he hurts himself even further.”

“Hyung….you know that if we admit him for suicidal thoughts, he’ll be placed int – “

“I know Seunghyun. I know.”

“Are you sure hyung?”

“I am.”

“Fine. When do you want to do it?”

“Tonight. I’ll have dinner with him and you can arrive with psychiatric . We’ll get him admitted tonight.”

6:00 PM

Hongki’s POV

Well Jaejin asked me to accompany him to dinner tonight. At first I didn’t want to go but I guess going out with someone would be nice for a change. He’s so nice to me and I feel undeserving of his kindness. He’s always there for me and I just continue to push him away. I know. I have a problem but it’s just so hard to let go but I owe it to him and to Jinnie to get better. They both want me to be happy and that’s just what I’ll be. I’ll be happy for them and with Jinnie beside me I feel like it just might be possible. Wait a little bit longer for me Jinnie. I promise we’ll be laughing like the way we used to before – before everything happened. With that in mind I head over to our destination.

 

6:07 PM

Jaejin’s POV
My hands won’t stop shaking. Where is Hongki? He should be here soon. As I begin to lose myself to my thoughts, I can’t help but feel guilty. I feel like I’m betraying him but no – I need to remain strong – strong for Hongki. He’s broken beyond my ability to repair and he needs the additional help. Still I can’t help but feel like I’ve failed them. I broke my promise to Jonghun hyung and now Hongki hyung is the one suffering because of my incompetence. As my tears threaten to fall, the door opens.

 

“Jinnie?”

 

Quickly I compose myself.

 

“Hyung! I’m glad you could make it.”

 

He flashes a brief smile.

 

“Well how could I when I have an annoying roommate who refuses to quit nagging?”

“I’m only doing this for your own good hyu –“

 

He embraces me in a hug. I feel my shirt beginning to get wet. It must be his tears.

 

“I’m so sorry Jinnie. I’m sorry for causing you so much trouble. You’re always there for me and I – I just end up pushing you away. It’s – it’s just so hard. Everything I try seems to end in failure Jinnie. But I promise to get better. Just wait for me – wait for me and I promise we’ll be able to laugh just like we used to. So please Jinnie – just give me some more time.”

 

My tears begin to fall. We remain like that, embraced in each other for a while.

 

“Hyung, I –“

 

Knock Knock.

 

Hongki’s POV

There. I confessed to Jinnie. It feels like a heavy load has been lifted off my chest. We remained like that for a while, hugging each other. Quietly he began to say something.

 

“Hyung, I – “

 

Knock Knock.

 

I look towards the door. He didn’t tell me he was expecting guests. I quickly brush away my tears and walk towards the door and open it.

 

“Hyung – “

“Seunghyun? What are you doing here?”

“Actually, I’m h –“

 

A shorter fellow interrupts Seunghyun and walks towards me. Behind him are two men dressed in scrubs.

 

“Hello sir. My name is Choi Minhwan and I’m from the Department of Mental Health. I’m looking for a Mr. Lee Hongki. I’m here to him to a psychiatric facility under a 51-50 which is warrant to hold an individual under involuntary psychiatric hold under the premise that he is either a danger to himself or others.”

 

Tears begin to fall. I look back at Jaejin, searching for some form of explanation. That’s why he wanted me to go out with him today. So that he could admit me into some psych ward. Our eyes met and it was at that moment I knew – I had been betrayed. Betrayed by the one person I could lean on – betrayed by Jaejin.  

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ahhhhhh. So Chapter 2 is up. What do you think is gonna happen? Comments are appreciated - they serve as a source of inspiration. :)))