Praeteritum I

Reminiscence

 

03.01.2009

4:00 AM

Jonghun’s POV

 

Beep Beep Beep. Beep Beep Beep. Beep Bee Beep.

 

Ngggggghhhhhhhh. Its too early. I don’t want to wake up. But I have to. Today’s the day when we begin packing for our little “family outing.” Lazily, I extend my hand and shut off the alarm. As I try to get out of bed, I feel Hongki’s arm tightly wrapped around my waist. I gently remove myself from his arms embrace only to hear him groan as I get out of bed as he lazily begins to mumble in his sleep.

 

“Nggggghhhhhh it’s too early Jonghun.”

“Shhhhhh. I know. Go back to sleep. I’m just going to start packing.”

“Can’t you do it later?”

“No I have to start. Now shhhhhh go back to sleep.”

“Mmmmmmkay.”

 

And just like that he gently drifts off into sleep. He looks so peaceful when he’s asleep, like a little child, sleeping without a care for the world – and peaceful is how I’ll keep this vacation. I’ve really put Hongki through a lot and he deserves to be pampered this time around. Don’t worry my sweet Ki, as long as I’m here you won’t have to worry about a thing. I smile at my own thoughts as a I gently place a kiss on his forhead.

 

5:28 AM

Third Person POV

 

After washing up, Jonghun makes his way downstairs into the living room only to be greeted by a bright Seunghyun with his characteristic megawatt smile.

 

“Morning Hyung.”

“Morning Seungie. You’re up early.”

“How could I not be? I’m so excited for our vacation. It’s our first ever family vacation.”

 

Jonghun smiled at his junior.

 

“Tch. I wish you’d be as excited about sharing the bill.”

“You know I’m poor hyung.”

“Moocher.”

“You know you love me.”

“Good one Seungie. By the way, where’s Jinnie?”

“Oh he’s in the kitchen whipping something up for breakfast. Where’s Hongki hyung?”

“Still sleeping.”

“He wouldn’t wake up?”

“Nah. I told him to go back to sleep.”

“Awwwwwww such a caring partner that you are. You’re really determined on making this one perfect for him huh?”

“Of course. I owe a lot to Hongki with what I’ve put him through lately. I just hope he’ll like this vacation.”

“Of course he will hyung. I think the mere fact that you guys are spending time together alone is enough for this to be perfect for him.”

“You’re quite the love guru now Seungie.”

 

Seunghyun smiles. Sure he was thrilled about their first ever “family vacation” but he was even more thrilled at the thought of Hongki and Jonghun’s relationship being mended. He really did wish nothing but the utmost happiness for his hyungs.

 

“By the way hyung, where will we be staying?”

“At my uncle’s place. It’s a two bed/two bath loft located on the coast of Jeju Island.”

 

At this Seunghyun’s eyes sparkled.

 

“Really hyung? What about you’re uncle?”

“He’s away in America visiting his children so he left the loft under my jurisdiction.”

“Nice.”

“Alrighty then let’s get to work eh Seungie?”

“But I haven’t even eaten yet hyung.”

 

Jaejin soon enters the living room with sandwiches and juice in his hands.

 

“Tch Seunghyun always thinking with your stomach.”

 

Almost immediately Seunghyun takes a sandwich from Jaejin and starts to eat.

 

“FOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD”

 

As the two elders watch Seunghyun rave over the sandwiches, they can’t help but laugh. Seunghyun was always the cheerful child of their family, always having a smile plastered on his face regardless of whether the situation was good or bad. As they began to laugh at the sight of the tall, lanky child gobble over the good, they were greeted by an equally ecstatic, albeit half asleep Hongki.

 

“Ki what’re you doing up so early?”

“How could I sleep when I have that brat making weird noises downstairs.”

 

At this, Seunghyun’s face flushed.

 

“Sorry Hongki hyung.”

“Nah don’t mind it. I’m actually really excited for this trip.”

“You sure you don’t wanna go back to bed?”

“Nope. This is our vacation and I don’t wanna spend a moment of it without you guys.”

 

A smile slowly crept up Jonghun’s face. For once in a very, very long time, he felt free, as if every burden he had ever carried had been stripped away.

 

“Alright then. Ki and Jinnie go to the kitchen and began packing the food. You guys will be in charge of our meals. Meanwhile Seungie and I will be packing everything else.”

 

Almost immediately the group disbands and heads over to their respective posts – all of them excited and absolutely determined to make this the perfect vacation.

 

03.02.2012

2:00 PM

Third Person’s POV

 

As they arrived at the loft, they immediately began to unpack and make themselves at home. Hongki would be sharing a room with Jonghun while Seunghyun and Jaejin would be sharing the other room. After unpacking, Hongki was the first to go back to sleep because no matter how hard he tried to resist, Hongki needed his sleep. Meanwhile, the other three met in the living room.

 

“Alright Jaejin, Seunghyun you guys know its Hongki’s birthday today right?”

“Yup.”

 

Both stated in unison.

 

“So I need you guys to help me plan a surprise birthday party for him. I want this to be the best party ever.”

 

Snickering, the younger two began to tease Jonghun.

 

“Aww look Jinnie hyung. Our eldest is quite the romantic no?”

“Why yes I believe so Seungie. Who knew that there was this mushy mushy being under that workaholic.”

“I know right? It almost seems too good to be true.”

 

Jonghun’s face turns bright red from embarrassment. He always portrayed the image of Mr. Tough Guy and it would be a lie to say that being called “mushy” was fine with him. Letting his rage get the best of him, he makes a move towards the duo as he attempts to smack them.

 

“Why you little brats. I’ll teach you to push my buttons.”

“Uh oh. I think Mr. Mushy Romantic is mad at us Jinnie hyung.”

“Then what’re waiting for Seunhyun. RUN!”

 

And with that, the three begin to run around in the living room like a group of children playing a game of tag. Eventually Jonghun catches the two and gives each one of them a smacking.

 

“Don’t. Ever. Call. Me. Mr. Mushy. Again. Understand?”

 

They both answer in unison.

 

“Yessir”

“Good. Now back to business. In an hour or so, I’m gonna take Hongki out for a walk on the beach. Jin you packed the meat in the fridge right?”

“Of course I did.”

“Good. While I walk Hongki out you and Seunghyun can start preparing the food. I’ll keep him out until around 5. Sound good?”

“Yup. We’ll take care of the surprise and everything hyung so you just go out there and do your thing with Hongki hyung.”

 

Tears of happiness began to form in Jonghun’s eyes. He was truly grateful to have Seunghyun and Jaejin around him. They might be rascals at times but he knew they meant well and at that very moment, he felt nothing but happiness. He was truly blessed and he felt that in every fiber of his being.

 

“Thanks guys. Really thank you so much.”

 

Seunghyun is the first to respond as he gently hugs his hyung. Jaejin follows suit.

 

“Hyung you know that we’ll always be here for you.”

“Thanks Seungie.”

“So don’t try to take on the load by yourself hyung. We’re here to support you just like you support us.”

“Thanks Jinnie.”

 

They remain like that for a while before Jonghun starts to head towards the showers and the two towards the kitchen as they began to make preparations.

 

3:00PM

 

Jonghun gently places a light kiss on Hongki’s forhead.

 

“Hongki. Hongki. Wake up.”

“Mmmmm….what time is it?”

“Its 3. Wanna go out for a walk on the beach with me?”

 

A smile makes its way towards Hongki’s face as he begins to get up, rubbing his eyes.

 

“Suuuuuuure…..that sounds nice…”

“Kay. I’ll be waiting for you here. Go wash up.”

 

*15 Minutes Later*

 

“Ready?”

“Ready.”

 

The two hold each other, hand in hand, as they make their way out the door. Since the loft was on the coast, the beach wasn’t far. As they began to walk across the shore, a cool wind blew across their face, caressing it ever so slightly as it made its way.

 

“This is nice. So nice.”

“I know right?”

“I wish we could remain like this forever.”

 

Jonghun smiles. He wishes that too. This moment. It was just too perfect.

 

“Hongki?”

“Hmmmmm?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too silly.”

“And I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For making you wait all this time. For putting you all through that. I know I caused you a lot of pain and I won’t make any excuses for it. I –“

 

Hongki placed his finger on Jonghun’s lips, cutting his apology short as he stared deeply into Jonghun’s eyes.

 

“Listen to me Choi Jonghun. Don’t you ever think that you cause me pain and don’t you dare apologize. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me and without you, I would not be where I am today. I love you Choi Jonghun and don’t you ever forget that. You’re mine.”

 

Tears begin to form in both their eyes and they embrace each other by the sunset, the cool coastal air enveloping them as the waves gently crash to the rhythm of love. They spend the rest of their time walking together, laughing at memories past.

 

“We should be going back. It’s almost 5. Jaejin and Seunhyun will start to get worried.”

 

The two make their way back towards the loft. Upon their arrival, Hongki gently opens the door.

 

“SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONGKI HYUNG!”

 

Surprised, Hongki turns around only to see Jonghun smiling at him.

 

“Happy birthday Ki.”

“Jonghun…Jaejin…Seunhyun – I…I –“

 

Hongki begins to tear up. He was happy – so very happy.

“Awwww don’t get all down hyung. It’s your birthday! You should be happy!”

“Seungie’s right hyung. You know how long we prepared for this so we could see you smile?”

“They’re right Ki. Smile. Crying really doesn’t suit you.”

 

Wiping his tears, Hongki stands up and gives each one of them a hug. The atmosphere is then lightened as music begins to play and the four of them begin to enjoy themselves, drinking, eating, and most importantly, being in each other’s company. Nothing would be able to stop them as long as they had each other.

 

“Seungie pass me another beer.”

“Okkkkaaaayyyyy.”

 

Seunghyun makes his way towards the fridge and begins to search only to come back empty handed.

 

“Where’s my beer?”

“I don’t think we have any left Jonghun hyung?”

“We don’t?”

“Nope.”

 

Slowly Hongki begins to stand up.

 

“I’ll get it. You guys stay put.”

“Want me to come with you Ki?”

“No you stay here. You planned this whole vacation and party for me. At least let me get the beer. I’ll be right back.”

“But –“

“He’s right hyung. The store’s only around the corner.”

“Fine. Call me if anything ‘kay?”

“I’ll be back before you know it. I can’t leave my boyfriend with two little rascals for too long. Who knows what’ll happen if I’m out for too long?”

 

And with that Hongki was out the door.