Venus

Reminiscence

 

12.14.2012

Third Person POV

 

It had been almost three weeks since Hongki had been discharged from the facility. He moved back in with Jaejin again, only this time, the atmosphere was brighter. Both boys were happier. Almost immediately after Hongki was discharged, Jaejin went back to work.

Hongki stayed home, eventually picking up a job as a bartender at the local bar. At first Jaejin was dead set against this idea, saying that his income was plenty to sustain both their expenses but Hongki insisted, saying that it would help him greatly in moving foward. Unable to argue against those eyes, Jaejin reluctantly agreed. As such, Jaejin would initially visit that bar every day Hongki worked so that he could keep an eye on him but the bar eventually grew on him, quickly earning a place not only in his, but Seunghyun’s and Minhwan’s hearts as well, making it a ritual of sorts to go there at least three times a week.

 

5:15 PM

It was raining outside. Although the clouds themselves were dark, the small beeds of light illuminated from the city compensated many times over, as they dyed the heavens in shades of red and green. Fall had long passed now, instead being replaced by winter and what better on a cold winter day than enjoying a drink with friends? The mere thought of heading over to the bar was enough to make Jaejin happy. It was the one place aside from home where he could truly let himself be. Finally finding his two juniors lazing around in the physician’s station, he took a deep breath before announcing for them -

 

“Oiiiii. Seunghyun! Minhwan!”

 

Irritated at the noise, Seunghyun lazily responded.

 

“Aish. Not so loud hyung. We’re right here you know.”

“Tch. Seunghyun. This is how you thank your hyung for waking you up? You’re so ungrateful.”

“I don’t think I wanted to be woken up in the first place hyung, so there’s no need to extend an form of thanks.”

“Why you little –“

 

The two of them began to run around the room, like two little boys engaged in an intense game of tag. Eventually, the ruckus disturbed Minhwan from his slumber, which in its own right was an achievement. Minwhan was quite the deep sleeper.

 

“Aish. WILL YOU GUYS KEEP IT DOWN? THERE IS SOMEONE TRYING TO SLEEP HERE YOU KNOW! I swear I can’t believe you guys are my hyungs sometimes ‘cuz you two sure don’t act like it.”

 

The two elders turned their heads towards the youngest, their faces flushed with embarrassment, as they entertained the thought that they had just been chastised by the maknae.

 

After settling down some, the three started to get ready to go home. Shift had ended at 5:30 PM.

 

“Hey Minhwan. Seunghyun, you guys on for a drink tonight?”

The two smiled. Of course they were. Nothing was better than having a drink with your buddies after work.

 

“Where are we going hyung?”

“Where do you think Seunghyun? I swear sometimes your a blockhead. Isn’t he Minhwan?”

 

Minhwan smiled.

 

“Yup. I’m almost embarrassed to call him my hyung sometimes.”

 

The two began to laugh at Seunghyun, whose face had turned bright red.

 

“You guys are so mean.”

“Awww. Don’t be like that. We love you Seunghyun. You’re the one we tease but love the most.”

“Tch. I won’t be bought over with sweet words hyung. If you’re really sorry then you can buy me a drink. You too Minhwan.”

 

Making his cutest face, Minhwan replied –

 

“But hyuuuuuunng I’m broke.”

“Broke my . We got paid today.”

“Oi Seunghyun stop being so hard on the kid. Don’t worry Minhwan. I’ll pay for all our drinks.”

“Yay! See hyung, This is why I love Jaejin hyung the most.”

“Pssh. As if I care. By the way, is Hongki hyung working today?”

“Nope.”

“Then what are you waiting for hyung? You should invite him too! Who knows? Maybe you’ll finally make your move today.”

 

Seunghyun flashed his megawatt smile at Jaejin who returned his smile with an irritated expression. What Seunghyun said was true. He was in love – madly in love with Honkgi. He always had been but unlike Seunghyun he still thought it was too soon. He knew the boy meant well but when it came to matters like this, he was clueless.

 

“Aish hyung! Jaejin hyung will confess when he wants to so stop being so nosy.”

 

Smiling at Minhwan’s defending Jaejin, Seunghyun raised his hands in defeat.

 

“Alright alright. It was only a joke. Anyways, what’re we waiting for? Let’s go!”

 

 

Bar

6:26 PM

 

A smooth piece enveloped the atmosphere, serving as a complementary piece to the sleezy environment, filled with the advances of smoke and liquor. As they made their way towards the front, someone in a black suit greeted them.

 

“Wow you guys sure like this place don’t ya?”

 

Jaejin threw a mocking glance at the man.

 

“Don’t be complaining now. We bring you good business.”

“That is true. Anyhow same place as always?”

“Yup.”

“Alright then, follow me. – although by now you guys shouldn’t even need me to guide you there any more.”

 

The group of three smiled.

 

“Alrighty then. Here we are. I’ll send someone in to look after you folk.”

“Thanks hyung.”

“Tch. If you’re really thankful then leave some tip for once.”

“We’ll be leaving you the biggest tips when we’re rich psychiatrists hyung.”

“Ha. I’m interested more in the now then twenty years from now Seunghyun.”

 

Seunghyun pouted.

 

“Hey. One more year and I’ll be a full fledged psychiatrists.”

“That’s if you pass your boards hyung. IF.

“And since when did you join this conversation Minhwan?”

“But the boy’s right Seunghyun. Studying really isn’t your forte.”

“Awwww not you too Jinnie hyung.”

“See even they agree with me Seunghyun.”

 

They all started to laugh. It was always like this. Teasing and laughing with each other. During the three weeks, Seunghyun, Minhwan, Jaejin, and Honkgi had become a close knit family of brothers, each willing to do anything for the other. Regaining his composure, Seunghyun quickly attempted to change the subject.

 

“By the way, where’s Hongki hyung?”

“Right here.”

 

The group turned their heads to the doorway, only to be greeted by an amused Hongki.

 

“Guys looked like you were having some fun over there.”

“When did you – “

“Actually I only got here about 5 minutes ago. You guys just didn’t notice because you lot were focused on laughing too much.”

 

Smiling at the exchange lovingly, the suited man excused himself.

 

“Well now that all you guys are here, I’ll be taking my leave.”

 

Minhwan pouted.

 

“Awww. Why so soon?”

“Because unlike you guys, I actually work for a living.”

“Fine. Suit yourself hyung.”

 

Gently waving his hand at the group, the suited man exited the doorway.

 

9:17 PM

 

“Drink drink! Drink!”

 

Jaejin was on the table, drink in hand, his neatly combed up hair now long gone, instead replaced by a messy, more punk-rockish hairdo. Looking up at Jaejin, Seunhyun lazily rolled his eyes, putting his drink on the table.

 

“Aww. Geez looks like Jaejin hyung’s at it again.”

“As always.”

“Now now you two. You both know Jaejin’s habits.”

 

By now Jaejin was off the table, instead somehow managing to get himself next to Hongki. Looking drunkenly at his hyung, he smiled before falling asleep on his lap.

 

“Mhhhhhhmmmmmm Hongki hyuunngg…”

 

Hongki smiled as he looked down upon the sleeping Jaejin before directing his attention to the other two.

 

“Oi. Seunghyun, Minhwan.”

 

The two looked up to Hongki at the mention of their names.

 

“You guys free on the 17th?”

 

Sporting a perplexed look on their faces, Seunghyun asked –

 

“Why what’s going on that day hyung?”

“Minhwan I forgive for not knowing but really Seunghyun…I can’t believe you don’t know.”

“Is it something important?”

“It’s Jaejin’s birthday.”

 

At this, both Seunghyun eyes had widened. He had completely forgotten about Jaejin’s birthday. Ever since Jonghun, everyone was a bit depressed so there really was no more occasion to celebrate, even birthdays.

 

“OOOOOOHHHHH!!! I completely forgot!”

 

Hongki sighed.

 

“Seriously Seunghyun…”

 

Minhwan, on the other hand, was very excited. Jaejin was one of the seniors he truly cared for, so it was only natural he wanted to throw him the greatest birthday party ever and like a little kid, he began to bombard Hongki with questions.

 

“So what’re we gonna do? Are we gonna go clubbing? Maybe we shouldn’t go out. I know! Can we throw him a surprise party hyung? Please please please?”

“Slow down their Minhwan. I was actually thinking of something more like going on a camping trip, just the four of us. What do you guys think?”

 

At this Minhwan’s eyes began to sparkle with excitement. Seunghyun on the other hand didn’t seem so enthusiastic. He slowly looked over to the side, as if avoiding Hongki's eyes, and then stole a quick glance at Jaejin who was now peacefully sleeping on Hongki's lap 

 

“I think it’s great hyung! We could do so many things out there and it’ll be so fun!”

“Well I take it Minhwan’s okay with it. How ‘bout you Seunghyun?”

“Hyung…”

 

Seunghyun looked at Hongki in the eyes before looking to the side again.

 

"Yeah, I guess it'll be fun."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: And we're finally off to happier times. Anywho, I think this fic only has about a good 4 chapters before it ends. Thank you for your continued support!