True Love

Reminiscence

A/N: And I am so sorry for not having updated this fic in so long. To be completely honest, I had a lot of trouble putting the words onto paper (it was like i had the ending and everything perfectly visualized in my head but when it came time to write, I blanked out) Maybe writer's block? ^^ Anyways, happy readings. Thank you guys for your amazing support. You guys are awesome!

***

 

Third Person POV

 

Like a child, Jaejin happily skipped away to his room and began to pack for his upcoming birthday/camping adventure. Whistling away gently to a soothing tune, Jaejin hurriedly opened his closet and began to pack away clothes into his duffel bag. A genuine smile formed upon his face as he heard Hongki and Minhwan engage in a “spirited discussion” regarding the potential activities at the camping site.

 

Knock

Knock

 

Prying his head over to the doorway, Jaejin saw Seunghyun’s tall and slender figure leaning by the doorway.

 

“Hyung…can we talk?”

 

Putting on a slight grin, Seunghyun tried his best to hide his concern but ultimately failed. Not a slight shred of happiness or excitement could be found on his face, as it was, instead, radiating an overwhelming sense of sorrow and concern. The atmosphere in the room quickly darkened.

 

Feeling worried as to what was troubling Seunghyun so, Jaejin smiled and calmly invited the boy to sit next to him on the bed. Closing the door behind him, Seunghyun answered the beckoning. Folding the orange shirt he had in his hands, Jaejin placed it on his knees before asking in a happy, sing-song voice,

 

“So…what is it that you want to talk about? It must be pretty serious if it’s gonna get my Seungie down like that…”

 

Seunghyun stared at the orange shirt folded neatly on Jaejin’s lap.

 

“Orange…it’s such a happy color…let me guess…Hongki hyung?”

 

Somewhat perplexed, Jaejin began to feel awkward at the tense atmosphere that had settled so conveniently in between the two of them. He had known Seunghyun for years and the two of them were like brothers. However, that very brother-like Seunghyun who sat right next to him was now like a foreign person to him. It was like as if he had never known the man before.

 

Still, Jaejin was determined to do whatever he could to help out the younger fellow. Staring down at the orange shirt, Jaejin’s blushed slightly.

 

“Yeah…it was the first shirt that Hongki ever got me…”

 

Beaming at with slight happiness at Seunghyun, he continued,

 

“It’s my favorite shirt Seunghyun.”

 

Seunghyun smiled slightly back.

 

“Seems pretty new for a shirt that’s someone’s favorite…”

 

Somewhat flustered, Jaejin’s felt his cheeks even grow redder. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears. Bashfully, he answered in a shushed voice,

 

“W-well…It’s just that if I wear it…i-it might get ruined…”

“You…really like him don’t you Jinnie hyung?”

 

Unable to bring himself to speak, Jaejin nodded his head in answer. Afterwards, neither spoke to the other, inviting silence to take’s its awkward presence in between the two. As if sensing the anxiety, Seunghyun called for Jaejin once again, in a serious, almost grim voice.

 

“Jaejin Hyung…”

“Hm?”

“Do you ever plan to tell Hongki?”

 

Failing to grasp what the younger was asking, Jaejin asked innocently,

 

“Tell him what?”

“…When Hongki was in the psych ward…He was more reluctant to see me but he seemed to get along with Minhwan fine…”

“…Seunghyun…”

“Minhwan would always give me reports about their therapy sessions, so that I could follow up appropriately…as you know Hongki was in a state of severe depression…he had lost the will to live…a little more and he would have been classified as suicidal…”

 

His uneasiness amplified to higher levels, Jaejin began to shift uncomfortably in his seat.

 

“…Minhwan told me once…and I heard it from Hongki hyung himself too…one of the major reasons why he had plunged into such a state of depression was because…”

 

Seunghyun’s voice trailed off and the quietude once again engulfed the entire room, suffocating everyone within its immediate vicinity. Looking over to Jaejin, Seunghyun placed his hands over Jaejin’s, which were now shaking violently. The entire issue of Hongki’s depression and hospitalization was a hard issue for all, especially Jaejin. Although it pained him to do so, Seunghyun pressed on with the issue at hand as he asked Jaejin in a quiet, almost silent voice.

 

“…he felt that he had got betrayed by the person closest to him…”

 

Like hot knives out of the forge, Jaejin felt the words angularly stab, twist, and turn his heart. Ever since he had called for Seunghyun that day to make the proper arrangements, he had regretted every single passing moment since. Although it was for the best, the sense of betraying the one closest to him, and lest of all, the one he loved, took its toll, and Jaejin too fell into a state of lowliness. He had refused all human contact for a while, and had almost died, as the pain was unbearable. In fact, the only reason why he still was alive and breathing was because of the combined efforts of Seunghyun and Minhwan and to that extent, he had always felt an immeasurable sense of gratitude towards the two. They were his saving grace, his second chance at life, and he had been so thankful for that. But now, that sense of thankfulness was gone and was instead replaced by spite. Why? Why did Seunghyun have to bring this issue up at hand when things were finally turning out for the better? Why?! His head held down, Jaejin fought with all his might to hold back the tears that threatened to fall any second now. He was shaking.

 

“Hyung…I know you hate me for this right now…and rightfully so. I knew that by bringing this issue up again to you, I risked forever shattering our relationship…but it’s okay hyung…it’s okay if you hate me for the rest of your life hyung…but please try to understand Jinnie hyung…you, Hongki, and Minhwan are all I have left in this world and I mean it when I say I want all of us to live together happily…”

 

Clutching his hands into a fist, Jaejin asked coldly –

 

“Then why?”

 

A single tear fell from Seunghyun’s eyes.

 

“Because hyung…I don’t want you and Hongki hyung to base you’re relationship on a lie.”

 

Anger began to simmer in the very core of Jaejin’s being. He felt betrayed. Regardless of the good intent that Seunghyun bore, he felt betrayed and violated. Brushing Seunghyun’s hand off briskly, he said in the most inhospitable tone –

 

“Get out…”

“Jaejin Hyung…”

“Get out Seunghyun…”

 

Seunghyun felt all his remaining energy drain away from him. More tears began to fall.

 

“Hyung please…”

“Get out of here Seunghyun. I don’t ever want to see you again.”

 

Wiping away his tears, Seunghyun continued to venture on with what little resolve he had left.

 

“No.”

 

Jaejin turned around to look at him and the two locked eyes for a brief moment.

 

WHAM

 

In an instant, Seunghyun found himself on the floor, clutching his cheek. A slight cut formed on the corner of his lip. Bearing the pain, he tried to reason with Jaejin again. It was alright if the man hated him forever. It was alright if all he earned from now on and forevermore was Jaejin’s contempt and spite. As long as he could see Jaejin truly smile again, he would bear the pain.

 

“Hyung…you don’t understand…you and Hongki hyung…you guys are at your limits…it Hongki hyung finds out someday –“

“Stop it Seunghyun…”

“– then he’ll fall into a deeper state of depression than the one he just recovered from. And –“

“I said to stop.”

“– if he does…He might really hurt himself this time. What do you –“

“I SAID STOP!”

 

His rage getting the best of him, Jaejin stomped over to Seunghyun and punched him again and again until he could no longer. Grabbing the boy by the collar, Jaejin looked with malice. His eye hidden by his hair, all Jaejin could see now was blood and tears on Seunghyun’s face. He was never once able to see the emotional pain and suffering reflected in Seunghyun’s eyes. His voice shaking, Seunghyun croaked -

 

“What do you think he’s going to do hyung?”

 

Silence. Undoing himself from Jaejin’s grip, Seunghyun limply stood up.

 

“WHAT DO YOU THINK HONGKI HYUNG IS GOING TO DO WHEN HE FINDS OUT THAT IT WAS YOU WHO ADMITTED HIM INTO THE PSYCHIATRIC WARD UNDER A 51-50?!”

 

Thud

 

Both Jaejin and Seunghyun rapidly turned their heads towards the door. It had been opened and at it’s entrance was Hongki, kneeling on his knees. An apparent expression of disbelief and betrayal was written all over his face. Behind him was Minwhan.

 

“Hongki…let me explain…”

 

Desperate, Hongki’s deep-seated feelings of agony from being held against his will began to flood his mind. Looking at Jaejin, he hurriedly scrambled back.

 

“Hongki…”

 

He heard his voice again. Desperation, fear, and panic overtook his being, and all sense of rationality was abandoned. He had been broken. The one person he had trusted more than anyone else had betrayed him. Holding his hand out in front of him, Hongki pleaded,

 

“S-Stay away from me!”

 

With that, he quickly grabbed his keys and belongings before bolting out the door.

 

“HONGKI!”

 

Grabbing his affects, Jaejin roughly pushed Seunghyun aside, as if he were some used toy, as he chased after Honkgi. It was only the two of them who were now left in the house.

 

Quickly supporting Seunghyun to the bed, Minhwan stood up in an attempt to fetch the first aid kit but was stopped abruptly as Seunghyun held onto his wrist.

 

“…Don’t leave me…not you too…”

 

Sighing, Minhwan sat back down and gently patted his back.

 

“…Minhwan…”

“Hm?”

“I…I thought I could do it…I really thought I could bear the pain…but why?”

 

Seunghyun looked at Minhwan.

 

“Why does it hurt so much?!  WHY?!”

 

Minhwan found himself unable to answer. He couldn’t even begin to fathom the slightest fraction of what Seunghyun was going through. Seunghyun had made the most noble of sacrifices. The brotherly bond of fellowship and camaraderie he had shared so intimately with Jaejin was no more. He had sacrificed it willingly, so that Jaejin might have a chance at a new beginning; one free of lies and secrets. He had sacrificed it so willingly so that Jaejin might have a shot at love. True love.