Miserum I

Reminiscence

 

Miserum I

-40 Minutes Earlier-

Third Person POV

 

Hongki is sitting on his bedside chair, staring outside the window as early morning dawns upon the world. An attendant enters and lays out his breakfast tray in front of him. Hongki remains motionless, just staring outside the window as if nothing had happened. After preparing his breakfast, the attendant exits the room. After a few minutes, Hongki shifts his focus onto the breakfast tray. There was nothing special. Just toast, jam, eggs, and two pieces of bacon. Slowly, Hongki's hand drifted towards the jam knife and picked it up. Gently, as if he were a puppet being manipulated by strings, he placed the knife against his wrist and slowly smiled, as if he had found the key to all his problems.

 

Hongki's POV

 

Share the burden. There are people waiting for you. All you have to do is ask. Everyone deserves a chance to be with someone. His words keep on repeating themselves in my head. I can't get them out. -Sigh- I want things to go back to normal again like how they were before this - before everything happened. -Chuckle- Don't be stupid Hongki. That's not possible. Stop dreaming. You don't deserve to dream. It's true. I don't. After that day, I couldn't sleep. Everytime I do, I keep on imagining his face, keep on imagining how if I wasn't so stupid, none of this would have never happened…People like me….People who inflict suffering….we can't sleep….our guilty minds won't let us….but today, I want to sleep…I want to finally close my eyes to this living nightmare and lay down, knowing that I won't ever have to wake again. I'm sorry Jaejin. I'm sorry Seunghyun. I don't deserve your love. I don't deserve your friendship. Please. Just forget about me. Forget about me and move on. 

 

-Present-

Third Person POV

 

Minhwan and Seunghyun run into the psychiatric ward, frantically making their way towards Hongki's room. Upon their arrival, they were mortified. There was Hongki on the seat, pale, lifeless, his wrists slit open. There was blood all over the floor. 

 

"What the hell happened?!"

"We're not completely sure. We found him like this. From the looks of it, he used the toast knife to slit his wrists open. We've controlled the bleeding for now but his blood loss is very severe. He needs transfusions stat."

 

Minhwan's arm fell limply across his side while the nurse rushed away to help the others with stabilization. Both Seunghyun and Minhwan were petrified, almost like statues, unable to do anything. Suddenly, the senior physician in the room began to call for them.

 

"Minhwan! Seunghyun! Get in here!"

 

His pleas fell on deaf ears.

 

"CHOI MINHWAN! SONG SEUNGHYUN!"

 

No response.

 

"Damn it! Get the them out of here NOW!"

 

Two nurses begin to make their way to the petrified individuals and them out of the ward into the waiting room. Even as the nurses tried to explain the situation and comfort them, they just stood there - too afraid to do anything. Afraid that they would lose Hongki. 

 

9:10 AM

The senior physician made his way to the waiting room. Upon his arrival, he found both Seunghyun and Minhwan standing there, their faces still laced with the same expression as they had nearly 2 hours ago. He knew something was off. They were faced with suicidal cases on an almost daily bases and this wasn't the first time there was an emergency situation either. It wasn't like his students to freeze like that. 

 

"Seunghyun. Minhwan. Look at me…now."

 

As if awoken from a deep trance, the two friends turned their heads toward the physician. 

 

"What's the relationship between you two and the patient?"

 

They stood their motionless. After some minutes, Minhwan finally managed to speak up.

 

"He's…he's Seunghyun and Jaejin's childhood friend sir. They asked me to take him as my patient…"

 

The physician then shifted his attention to Seunghyun.

 

"Seunghyun?"

"It's - it's exactly how Minhwan put it sir."

"You do realize that this goes against hospital policy and regulations."

"I am aware sir."

"And you know the consequence for giving preferential treatment?"

"I am fully aware sir."

 

At that response, the physician eyed both Minhwan and Seunghyun before sighing. Usually, it was only policy to fire psychiatrists who gave preferential treatment to patients but he couldn't bear himself to fire his best students. 

 

"Seunghyun…I need you to remove yourself from this case. Don't come near the patient at all. Do not speak of him. Do not question about him. From this moment on, you are not allowed to have any form of interaction with him. Understand?"

 

Surprised by his mentor's response, Seunghyun questioned -  

 

"Sir aren't you supposed to fire me? I broke the hospital's poli -"

"As far as I'm concerned you and the patient were never friends in the first place."

 

At this, Seunghyun had understood. His mentor was going to cover for him, turn a blind eye to his violation, earning him Seunghyun's respect and everlasting gratitude. Smiling, he replied -

 

"I guess so. I never knew the guy. I guess I'll be leaving now then."

 

This earned him a smile from his mentor who then shifted his attention to Minhwan. 

 

"He's not your friend?"

"No sir. I met him for the first time as a patient. Nothing else."

"Good. Then as his primary psychiatrist, I guess I'll give you report on his condition."

 

10:23 AM

Jaejin's POV

 

Knock. Knock.

 

"Come in."

"Hello Mr. Lee. How are you doing today?"

"I'm doing fine. Looks like it’s a beautiful day out no?"

"It is. How's your body? Any fatigue, dizziness, or lethargy?"

"No. It’s the opposite actually. I'm actually itching to get out of here."

 

The nurse smiled. 

 

"Well I think you'll find what I have to say next to be quite nice then. The doctor just signed for your discharge."

 

My eyes widened with happiness. Finally. Finally I can get out of here. I mean I know I've only been here for a day but still it felt like I've been in here for an eternity. 

 

"Do you need any help packing?"

"No. I don't think I came here with much in the first place."

"That's good. Call me when you’re ready to go. I'll come over and wheel you out."

"That's really not necessary."

"It's hospital policy."

"Well in that case, I think I'm ready to go now."

 

I smiled. She's so nice to me. 

 

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me. Everyone deserves great care."

 

Smiling, she leaves the room only to come back in minutes with a wheelchair.

 

"Well then Mr. Lee. Are you ready to go home?"

 

Giving her my biggest smile, I replied happily - 

 

"Yes."

 

Third Person POV

As Jaejin and his nurse made their way out of the hospital, they were greeted by a somewhat disheveled Seunghyun waiting for them with his car. Despite, his appearance, Seunghyun smiled brightly as he saw Jaejin being wheeled out of the hospital. Without further delay, he made his way to Jaejin and embraced him in a tight hug as soon as he was out of the wheelchair.

 

"Hyuuuuunnnngggg! You're finally out!"

 

Oblivious to Jaejin's struggling to breathe, Seunghyun continued to smother him.

 

"AHHHH! Seunghyun! Get. Off. Can't. Breathe."

 

Embarrassed at his overwhelming display of affection, Seunghyun quickly releases his hyung. 

 

"Oops. Sorry Hyung. Guess I kinda got excited."

"Aish. You could have had me hospitalized again Seunghyun."

 

Seunghyun smiles at Jaejin. Slowly they both enter the car and Seunghyun begins to drive Jaejin home, while the latter notes Seunghyun's poor appearance, worrying him.

 

"Seunghyun. Did something happen?"

 

Surprised at Jaejin's forward question, Seunghyun tries to his best to support a facade, sporting a fake smile and laughing awkwardly.

 

"Ahahahaha. No. Why do you ask?"

 

Jaejin sees right through him. 

 

"You should really learn to stop lying Seunghyun. You know you can’t lie to me."

 

The fake smile fades, being instantly replaced by a more worried and fearful expression. The car stopped as it pulled up to Jaejin's home.

 

"What happened?"

"Hyung….first go wash up. We need to go somewhere today..."

"Seunghyun? Wh - "

 

Jaejin's eyes made contact with Seunghyun's and for the first time in a very long time, Jaejin could note the seriousness in his face. Realizing this, he decided to stop asking questions. The silent atmosphere tensed between them, the two entered Jaejin's home. Finally Seunghyun broke the silence.

 

"Go wash up hyung and get some rest."

 

Jaejin obeyed, making his way to the restroom to wash up, leaving Seunghyun alone in the living room. Taking a seat, Seunghyun quietly whispered to himself -

 

"You'll need it…"