Animum Despondeo

Reminiscence

Ahh here with a new chapter. *WARNING* This chapter might be a little intense (at least thats what I was aiming for anyways) Here are some brief medical terms that are found in this chapter (-O- sorry i work in a hospital so i really wanted to try and do some intense medical scene)

Epinephrine / Amiodarone - medication given during cardiac arrest

Saline Flush - Saltwater in a syringe. Usually given right after delivering medication by IV.

Ventricullar Fibrillation (V-Fib) - cardiac arrest

Tachycardia - heart rate over 100 beats per minute

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Third Person POV

 

“ he’s going into Ventricular Fibrillation. Keep the compressions going and prepare to defibrillate. Prepare 1mg of epinephrine and 300mg of Amiodarone. Do we have IV access?”

“IV established. Flushed with Saline. Preparing to defibrillate – pads are in place. Everyone clear.”

 

Shock

 

“Pulse?”

“Nothing.”

“Shock him again.”

 

Shock

 

“Still nothing?”

“Nothing.”

“Alright give me the 1mg of epinephrine and a saline flush. Continue compressions.”

 

The medic inserts the syringe containing 1mg of epinephrine and pushes the medication.

 

“Anything?”

“He’s still in Ventricullar Fib.”

“Alright. Shock him again.”

“Shocking. Everyone clear.”

 

Shock

 

“No pulse present.”

“Push 300mg of Amiodarone. Flush it with saline after.”

 

The medic pushes the 300mg of Amiodarone.

 

“We have a pulse. He’s tachycardia – pulse rate 128 beats per minute.”

“Continue monitoring his condition. Did you call the Emergency Room and give report?”

“Yes – they’re preparing for an admit as we speak.”

“Alright – put him on the gurney and let’s move.”

 

The ambulance pulls up into the Emergency Room. The ambulance staff is met by a team of doctors and nurses as they move the gurney into the Emergency Room. Following behind them are Seunghyun and Minhwan.

 

“Report?”

“Patient name Lee Jaejin. Age 20. Was found unconscious and pulseless on the floor around 6PM. Went into Ventricullar Fibrillation. Gave him 1mg of Epinephrine and 300mg of Amiodarone. Recovered pulse. Patient’s been in tachycardia ranging 120-040 beats per minute.”

“Any respiratory problems?”

“None.”

“Okay. We’ll take it from here.”

 

The ambulance medics and EMT’s turn away and make their way back to the ambulance. Seunghyun and Minhwan are stopped by a nurse.

 

“I’m sorry you’re not allowed inside. We’ll let you know when we manage to stabilize the patient.”

 

Desperate, tears begin to fall on both their faces as Seunghyun attempts to convince the nurse to let them through.

 

“No – we….we have to be there for hyung….please let us through…please…I’m begging you….”

 

Seunghyun falls to his knees and breaks down while Minhwan still tries to force his way through, yelling at the nurse.

 

“I’m sorry sir you can’t go through.”

THE HELL I CAN’T! OUR HYUNGS IN THERE FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE AND I’LL BE DAMNED IF WE WON’T BE LET THROUGH!”

“Sir please calm down – otherwise I will have to call security.”

CALL THEM! SEE IF I CARE!”

 

The nurse motions for two guards. The guards appear and physically restrain Minhwan and begin to both him and Seunghyun into the waiting room.

 

LET ME GO! LET ME ING GO! HYUNG!”

 

Tears begin to fall across Minhwan’s cheeks as his actions begin to falter – his arms begin to hang limply by his sides as he mutters through his tears.

 

“Hyung…..Please….”

 

Psychiatric Ward

Third Person POV

 

With a sudden jerk, Hongki awoke from his sleep as beads of sweat encased him, gently caressing his face as they descended. He had just seen him in his dreams but this one was different. It didn’t feel like the others. Even now, he could still remember the touch, the feel of the dream – this dream – such a dream, a dream that had somehow unlocked the gateway to the infinite abyss contained within his conscious. Slowly, his hands began to shake against the leather bound restraints as the memories he had tried so hard to repress began to surface, eroding the very essence of his inner being.

 

-Flashback-

Third Person POV

 

02.29.2009

1:42 AM

 

It was raining outside. The light had long faded and was now replaced by darkness and rain, drenching everyone who was caught within its vicinity. Against the rain, there was a figure fumbling through his self as he searched for his keys in front of a house. It wasn’t a grand or marvel house. It was small. However, the light that radiated from within its corridors emitted a sense of warmth and comfort – similar to the kind one would feel when with their families for the holidays. As he finally found his keys, he quickly opened the door and entered. Almost immediately, he felt the warmth embrace his cold, wet body. Feeling revitalized, he took a deep breath.

 

“OIIIII! I’m hoooooome!”

“Ahhhhh hyung! You don’t have to yell! This place isn’t big enough for you to yell!”

“Awww thanks for the ‘Hi Hyung’ Jinnie.”

“Whatever hyung. Anyways, why’re you so late? Hongki hyung was crying earlier ‘cuz you weren’t here you know. I think he cried himself to sleep.”

“Sorry Jinnie. They had me work extra hours. Where’s Seunghyun?”

“Well he was comforting Hongki hyung. He probably fell asleep.”

“Wow the both of ‘em huh? By the way Jin, why aren’t you asleep?”

“Well unlike those two, I have some serious studying to do.”

“Aww look at my baby Jin. It seems like it was only yesterday when he was asking me to check under the bed for monsters and now he’s a cynical nagging psychiatrist in training.”

“I prefer realistic hyung.”

“Its the same thing Jin.”

“No it’s not. Cynical is looking at the downside of things while being realistic is being practical.”

“Ah, tomato – tomato.”

“Tch. I shoulda known it’s impossible to win an argument with the almighty Jonghun hyung. Go wash up. I’ll make you something warm.”

 

With that Jonghun began to move towards the bathroom. As he made his way up the stairs, he was confronted by a puffy eyed Hongki.

 

He really must have cried himself to sleep.

 

“Why’re you so late?”

“I’m sorry Ki. They had me work extra hours.”

“Tch. It seems like they always ask only you to work extra hours. That place you work at must be real shortstaffed.”

“Ki, you know how things are. I really do wanna spend all my time with you – its just that circumstances prevent me from doing so.”

“Whatever. If money is that important for you, you might as well go start dating it and end it with me right now.”

 

Jonghun’s face darkened. He knew Hongki was mad and he had every right to be but those words had hit him – and it had hit him hard.

 

“Hongki.”

 

As soon as Hongki heard that stern tone, he knew he had gone too far. He knew why Jonghun was never home and he knew that he should know better than to press his buttons like that. It’s just that he felt so distant from Jonghun – more like a burden to him than a partner. Jonghun was the type to take the burden on himself. Sure they had all had jobs, but Jonghun was their primary source of income. All of them knew that. Given Jonghun’s nature, it was inevitable that Jonghun would try and generate enough revenue to support all of them.

 

“I’m sorry Jonghun. It’s just I feel like we’re such a burden to you, especially me. When you just brush me off after work, I feel so unimportant and useless. I know you’re tired and I’m being selfish but I can’t help it. I’m sorry. Go wash up. I’ll just go back to sleep.”

 

With that, Hongki began turned around and began to walk back to his room only turning around when he heard Jonghun call his name.

 

“Ki.”

 

As soon as Hongki turned around, Jonghun, in his drenched state, embraced him in a hug, whispering something in his ear as their bodies made contact.

 

“Ki. Your never a burden to me. You’re my source of strength and that goes for all of you. Sure it’s physically tiring but when I come home late at night and see you, Seunghyun, and Jaejin, I gain all the energy I need. Please Ki, I’m not supporting you guys because I have to – I’m doing this because I want to. You guys are the best things that ever happened to me so don’t you ever think that you or Jaejin or Seunghyun are burdening me, kay? And remember Ki, you are my one and only. You and only you.”

 

Tears began to fall from Hongki’s face.

 

“Ki. I know that you guys feel distanced from me because I’m hardly ever home so I’m gonna make it up to you guys. Let’s go on a trip, just the four of us for the weekend. Think of it as my early birthday gift to you.”

“But what about work?”

“I’m off for the next three days. We’ll spend some time tomorrow preparing and then we’ll head off the next day.”

 

A smile began to form across Hongki’s face. He was ecstatic. They were going to go on a trip. Just the four of them and just that thought was enough to erase every single doubt from Hongki’s mind. He was going to spend his birthday with Jonghun and that in its own right was the best present he could ask for.

 

“Now hurry up and go to bed. I don’t want you looking like all puffy and swollen on your birthday.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's Chapter 4. I hope you guys like it. Remember to leave comments please :))))))))))