Confidimus

Reminiscence

 

11.27.2012

9:15 AM

Third Person POV

 

As Minhwan made his way through the halls, he finally found the room he was looking for. Standing outside the door, he took a deep breath. Things hadn’t ended so well last time and he hoped that today would be a little better. With a renewed resolve, he entered the room.

 

“Good Morning Mr. Lee.”

 

Hongki doesn’t respond. Instead he looks at Minhwan and gives a curt nod. Taking this as a sign of approval, Minhwan sends the sitter out of the room and seats himself directly in front of Hongki’s bed. The two stare at each other in awkward silence. Feeling uncomfortable, they both ask each other at the same time -

 

“Have anything to say?”

 

Both of the boys blushed at the coincidence. Minhwan, being the first to regain his composure, gave a quick nod to Hongki, signaling for him to speak first. Hongki’s face flushed a little as he began to speak.

 

“I – I just want to apologize for the other day. I shouldn’t have lashed out at you like that.”

“It’s perfectly fine Mr. Lee.”

 

Regaining his composure, Hongki nods.

 

“Well Mr. Lee, if you don’t have anything to say, would it be okay for me to speak?”

“Sure.”

“Well I have several things I want to discuss with you. First off, I want you to know that those restraints will be coming off today. We’re only allowed to use those on patients for a maximum of three weeks.”

 

Hongki smiles. Finally he would be freed from his leather bounds.

 

“However, that doesn’t mean you’ll be discharged. You still must be cleared psychiatrically by me.”

 

Hongki pouted for a brief moment before relaxing his self. Sure it staying here but at least he was getting the restraints removed.

 

“That’s all I have to say. If you don’t have anything else to state, I’ll be on my way.”

“Wait…”

“Yes?”

 

Looking Minhwan straight in the eye, Hongki asked –

 

“Was it Jaejin?”

“Excuse me?”

“The one who reported me. Was it Jaejin?”

 

Taking off his glasses, Minhwan rubbed his temples. Jaejin hyung had asked him personally to admit Hongki, not because he was crazy but only because he was scared that Hongki would hurt himself. Given Hongki’s current status, he knew it was only a matter of time before he did, which is exactly why Jaejin asked Minhwan. Unlike other psychiatrists, Minhwan never judged his patients. Instead, he treated them like respectable individuals, ultimately establishing a strong bond between himself and the patient. If was a rare ability and Minhwan knew that Jaejin had hoped Hongki would open up to Minhwan since he refused to open up to either Seunghyun and Jaejin. However, given Honkgi’s current condition, he knew that it would impossible to reason with him, least of all make him understand.

 

“No it wasn’t.”

“Are you lying to me?”

“No.”

 

Hongki eyed Minhwan. He didn’t look like the type who would lie about something like that. Convinced that he was telling the truth, Hongki felt like a burden had been lifted from his shoulders.

 

“Anything else Mr. Lee?”

“No.”

“I’ll be on my way then. Oh, and before I forget, please do not forget to take you medications.”

“Fine.”

 

Hongki’s POV

I feel so free. I wasn’t betrayed by Jaejin after all. How could I be so stupid. Jaejin would never betray me like that – he’s my brother. Argh! I’m such an idiot!

 

Knock Knock.

 

“Yes?”

“Mr. Hongki? I’m your nurse for today. I’m here to give you your meds. Is it okay if I come in?”

“Sure.”

“Thank you.”

 

Positioning herself by my bedside, she begins to crush some pills in a cup and pours some water onto the powder, creating a milky fluid. I hope she doesn’t make me drink that. Medication or not that looks disgusting.

 

“Um….I don’t have to drink that do I?”

“Actually you do. These are your medications. Now drink up. After drinking, them, you’re going to feel sleepy.”

 

I reluctantly take the cup from her hands and drink the fluid, and just like I thought, it tastes disgusting.

 

“Um Ms. Nurse?”

“Call me Nimfa.”

“Nim-pa?"

"No. Nim-fa."

 

Hongki tried his best to prounounce the name but it didn't work as well as he hoped. Having minimal English experience didn't help the fact that he couldn't the pronounce "f," the closest thing being "p." As such, whenever he tried to say her name, he got "Nim-pa" insted of Nim-fa." Oh he was frustrated, and just the thought of his rudimentary English skills caused a pout to form on his face. Witnessing the boys efforts, Nimfa couldn't help but smile. He was just like a little boy. 

 

Can I just call you noona? Nimfa is so hard and it sounds a lot like noona.”

 

She chuckles to herself.

 

“Fine. Call me noona then.”

“Okay! Um noona can you tell Dr. Minhwan something for me?”

“Sure. What is it that you want me to tell him?”

“Can you tell him I want to talk to him today. Not when he’s working though. Ask him if it’s okay if he could talk to me here after his hours end.”

“Sure. Now go to sleep.”

 

Choi Minhwan’s POV

 

Buzz Buzz.

 

I take out my phone. Looks like Seunghyun sent me a message.

 

Minhwan,

 

Jaejin-hyung just woke up. The doctors says he’s fine but he wants to keep him here for one more day just to watch and make sure he’s really fine. Come by and visit after work if you can.

 

Seunghyun

 

What a relief. Jaejin hyung is okay. Good. Just as I’m about to reply, someone calls my name.

 

“Dr. Minhwan?”

 

I turn around to see who it is. It’s Hongki’s nurse Nimfa.

 

“Nimfa. How are you doing today? How’s Hongki? Did Hongki take his meds?”

“Yes he did sir. He seems to be doing a lot better now that the restraints are off. It’s like all his anger disappeared.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“By the way sir, he told me to ask you if you could spare some time after work to talk to him.”

 

Did I just hear that right? Did she say that Hongki wants to talk to me? This is the first time he’s approached me like this. If anything, this can be an indication of Hongki’s recovery. This is good. Very good.

 

“Sure thing. Tell him I’ll be there around 8PM.”

“Okay sir.”

“Anything else?”

“No. That’ll be it.”

“Alright then. Good day Nimfa.”

“Good day.”

 

Seunghyun’s POV

 

Buuuuuuzzzzzzzz.

 

Looks like Minhwan replied to me. I sure hope he can visit today.

 

Hyung,

 

I might be a little late today. Hongki wants to talk to me after my hours end. I’ll keep you posted. Send Jaejin hyung my regards!

 

Minhwan

 

A smile begins to form on my face. Looks like he’s done it after all – he’s broken through Hongki’s wall. Ever since Jonghun hyung, Hongki hyung doesn’t really open up to us about anything. I mean I know he’s the oldest amongst us but he needs to know that it’s okay to show weakness and ask for help. Sigh I swear, with regards to pride, he’s just like Jonghun hyung.

 

“What’re you sighing at Seunghyun? And stop smiling like that out of the blue. You’re creeping me out.”

“Wow. It hasn’t been even 2 hours after you’ve woken up but it looks like your mouth is working fine hyung.”

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me hyung. Unless of course you're ears aren't functioning. Aish. I guess I should call the doctor and give him an update on your condition - all thats working properly is his mouth."

“Song Seunghyun. I dare you to say that again.”

“Sure. All. Thats. Working. Is. Your. Mouth. Hyung.”

 

Jaejin throws a mischievous look at me before he grabs his pitcher and splashes the water all over me.

 

“Ahhhhhh hyung!”

“That’ll teach you to insult me.”

 

And with that he starts laughing and I start laughing along as well. Its been a while since we’ve laughed like this – without a care for anything in the world.

 

“Alright enough. Seriously Seunghyun what were you smiling about?”

“Oh nothing really. Minhwan just texted me. It looks like he finally broke through Hongki hyung’s wall. He told me Hongki hyung requested specifically to talk to him after work hours and that he’d keep me posted.”

 

Jaejin’s smile quickly disappears, instead replaced by sorrow and melancholy, as he hugs his legs and lowers his head.

 

“That’s good.”

 

I slowly walk over to Jaejin hyung and gently start to pat his back, rubbing it up and down just like how he used to do it to me whenever I was feeling down.

 

“Hyung it’s not your fault. You didn’t do anything wrong. Hongki hyung needed this.”

“But I betrayed his trust Seunghyun. I betrayed him.”

 

He muttered those words as tears began to form in his eyes.