A Common Phrase Like

Acrimony (Bitterness)

5 years later

 

“I cannot believe this is happening” Seohyun said and she sit on the couch with a pale face, “We’ll figure out a way, don’t worry” Jessica said while rubbing her back, “It’s 2 hours before the wedding and I don’t even have a dress” she said and Tiffany bites her nails over and over to remove her tension. “Seohyun, calm down. Yuri is running to her studio and she’s trying to find help in short notice, she got lots of connections, you don’t have to worry” Tiffany said and Seohyun exhale while covering her face. Three of them stay in silent until the door open and Yuri stand there slowly catching her breath, “Did you get the dress?” Tiffany said and walk up to her, “Better” Yuri said and she walk in with someone.

Seohyun gasp and stand up, “Annyeong Seohyun-ah” Yoona said, tears roll down Seohyun’s face and she make her way to her best friend and give her the biggest hug she could give. “You’re here” Seohyun whisper and they hug tighter, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world” she said. Everyone smile and see how happy they are, Tiffany walk up to them and hug Yoona too, “Unnie, I miss you” Yoona said and Tiffany chuckled, “You should’ve told me you’re coming back” she said and Yoona give a silly smile. “Oh, Jessica unnie, you’re here too” Yoona said when she see Jessica, “Yeah I landed 3 days ago, it’s my baby’s wedding, I would not miss it” she said, “anyway, we still have a problem with the wedding dress” Jessica said, “Not anymore” Yoona said

 

SEOHYUN’S POV

Turns out, Yoona’s appearance not only the gift for my wedding but she also came with a back up dress. I don’t know why she has that but it saves the day.

I’m still in my casual clothes and Yoona’s helping me with my make up and we’re alone inside the hotel room, getting ready, “How was Europe?”  I ask, “It was really beautiful. 6 months after we stayed in paris, Donghae and I went to Greece and had a beach wedding, it was only me my mom and his parents but it was really beautiful. I thought about you a lot. I really wished you were there too” she said and I nodded, “Well, but you’re here now” I said and she smile, “I know I said it was only 3 years, I didn’t know it’s gonna be this long. But there was something keeping me from coming back” she said and I wrinkled my forehead. “What is it?”

*knock knock*

We turn out heads to the door and Yoona smile, “there’s someone I would like you to meet” she said and she walk to the door. “Is it ok to come in now?” a voice said from behind the door, “Hi Donghae” I said and I stand up but my eyes got widen when I see what he’s holding. “Seohyun, meet our son, Aiden Lee” Yoona said and I walk slowly to them, “Ohmygod, Yoona…”

“I got pregnant on our third year there and we decided to have the baby there and wait for Aiden to grow a little older to bring him here” she said and caress Aiden’s cheek, “oh you guys, he’s so handsome. I’m so… so happy for you” I said and I hug Yoona, “Hey Aiden…” I turn to Aiden who’s still on Donghae’s arm and tears roll down my face. I’ve never been this happy for anyone else in my life, before. I feel complete now that they’re here.

 

“are you ready?” Jessica unnie ask when it’s time for me to walk to the ballroom, and get married. I nodded and she kiss my forehead, “I’m so happy for you Seohyun-ah, a little jealous. But happy” she said and I laugh, “Thank you for being here unnie, it means the world.”

“Yaaah Yuri, stop cyring” I hear Tiffany unnie’s voice and I turn to my sister who looks really beautiful in her long maroon dress, “Unnie” I said, “it feels like yesterday you still need me to hold your hand to sleep, and now you’re getting married” she said and I hold her hand, “there still times when I still need your hand to fall asleep, and there will be more” I said and she hug me, “Seohyun-ah” “No no no no, no huggings!! You’ll ruin the dress” Jessica said, “And no tears! Make up people!” she said and we all laugh, “She’s right, no tears” Tiffany said and she and Jessica walk out the room. “Ok, come on let’s go. I’m ready to walk you down the aisle” Yuri unnie said and she walk out the room. I look at Yoona and she smile to me, “Oh wait” she said and open her purse, “Here” she take out a small tiara from her purse, “Yoona… my mom’s hair clip” I said and she put it under my vail, “Something old, borrowed, and blue. Now you’re ready” she said and I hug her tight, “Jessica unnie will be so mad” she said and I laugh.

 

- - -

TIFFANY’S POV

I lean on Yuri’s shoulder when we’re sitting on our chair, we look at Seohyun and Kyuhyun who are having their first husband-wife dance. “you’re not crying again are you?” I ask and she chuckled, “No, I’m really happy for her” she said and I nodded. “You should be, she looks happy” I said and sigh, “like us” I laugh and she kiss my head, “Fany”

“Hmm?”

“Marry me” she said

a smile appear on my face, I feel her looking at me but I chose to keep looking at the dance floor, but I couldn’t hide my smile. “No” I said and she look at me

I look up to her and see her confuse face and I laugh, “I’m just kidding” I said and she sigh, “That’s just mean!!”

“Well, of course I’d marry you! you’re just so funny when you’re mad” I said, “funny?? How could you be so mean?” she said and I cover “I just said that I’ll marry you, but what you heard is that I said you’re funny. You’re still so stupid Yuri-ah” I said and I slowly take my hand off , she’s looking at me with her doe eyes. “You’ll marry me?” she said, “I thought you’d never ask” I said and she hug me, tightly.

 

JESSICA’S POV

Seohyun is officially married. I look at the dance floor and see people slow dancing. Seohyun with her husband, Yoona with her hudband and their son, Tiffany with Yuri and here I am. Sitting on the bar, with my martini still thinking about her. I remember 5 years ago things were so ugly, no one was happy. It was a bitter life for us and now they’re moving on, no. They moved on.

I don’t even know how she’s doing for the last 5 years, weather she still think about me or not. I guess I’m still the only person who’s staying still.

Even USA is not far enough to get my mind off of her, even 5 years are not long enough to erase all memories I had with her. “You sure you don’t want to call her?” Tiffany said when she’s sitting next to me. I chuckled and sip on my martini, “I don’t need any drama” I said, “It’s a wedding, it needs drama.” She said, “and, you’ve had enough of this. you don’t want that kind of drama” she said and take the martini off my hand, I sigh and shook my head, “It’s been 5 years and I still have this ache in my heart every time I think about her. Everytime.” I said and I sigh. “I feel so stupid, why am I so pathetic?” I said, “No you’re not, Sica. You’re just a person who’s very much in love.” “What’s the difference?” I said and Tiffany sigh. “I can’t say anything about you Jessica, but I know Taeyeon. And I know, I know that she loved you too. It’s not something easy for her to feel, and I’m sure it’s not something easy to forget.” Tiffany said and I look at her. Her eyes got widen and smile, “You’ll see” she said and she walks away. I wrinkled my forehead from her weird behavior just know.

“Good evening everyone” a voice said on a microphone and I flinch. I know that voice, it’s the voice that kept me awake for all this years, it’s the voice that I’ve been wanting to hear.

“I’m here to present this song to someone special” I close my eyes and hold my breath as I slowly turn around and look at the stage. It’s her.

She’s standing on the stage with a white shirt, a vest and shorts. I chuckled and see how stupid her clothing choice is for a wedding. Her hair grows longer and she’s gotten skinnier but she’s still so beautiful.

“I wrote this song, 5 years ago. But I decided that this is the right time to sing it.” she said and the piano starts playing.

[Taeyeon - A Common Phrase Like I Love You]

An end, I mean parting is strange to me
I still can't believe it
It sounds like a lie

You didn't even show any sign of trouble
I wasn't aware of anything
I just thought all was well for a while

Will one day be enough
If I keep away from you for a moment
Will you come to me again

I didn't even give you a common phrase like I love you
Is it what made you feel sad, tired and decided to hide away

My heart so hurts as if it's going to stop
I can't go on without you
I'm really sorry I'll be nice to you

Sometimes I think of you and be choked with tears
I was a fool to think you'll stay with me forever

Can't you give me a chance
If I get close to you as if nothing ever happened
Would you just let me

I didn't even give you a common phrase like I love you
Is it what you made feel sad, tired and decided to hide away

My heart so hurts as if it's going to stop
I can't go on without you
I'm really sorry I'll be nice to you

I'm afraid that you will be gone

 

People clap their hands and some whistle. I just stay in my spot looking at her bowing and glance to me, she give a small smile and walk away.

The lyrics and her voice echoed in my head, I chuckled and tears roll down my face. I wipe it and run to the back of the stage, “Where’s the girl who sang earlier?” I said and the guy point at the back door, “She walked out that door a second ago” he said and I run to the door. I open it and see her walking away slowly. “Kim Taeyeon” I call her and she stop her step. She turns around slowly and I let out a small sigh as I walk up to her.

“Jessica” she said and I look at her from top to toe, “You could’ve worn a skirt, it’s a wedding” I said and she chuckled. She look up to me and give a beautiful smile, “You look really beautiful, Jessica” she said, “You too. You let your hair grows” I said and she nodded, “yeah, you’ve always wanted me to” she said and I feel a warm liquid form in my eyes, “I was going to call you when I landed, but i- -“ “Don’t worry about it… I understand” she said and I sigh.

“That song was really beautiful. But what are you really doing here? Why did you try to leave?” I said and she sigh, “I know you’d be here and I wanted to talk to you but I was too afraid”

“of what?”

“Apologizing”

She said and I take a deep breath, “Try”

She look at me and shook her head, “I’m sorry for everything”

“I’m sorry for lying to you the whole time, I’m sorry for hiding my life away from you, I’m sorry I used you and mostly…”

“I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you I love you, when I know I did” she said

I nodded, “Thank you.”

“I forgive you” I said and she nodded, “I miss you” she said and turn around

I look at her and smile

“Wait” I said and she stop her step and turn around

I reach out my hand to her and smile, “Hi, I’m Jessica” I said and she look at my hand, and look up to me. She grab my hand and shake it slowly, “I’m Taeyeon” she said and I smile, “Nice to meet you, Taeyeon.” I said and a smile appear on her face, her beautiful face.