What Happens Now?

The Howling - Part V: Restless

 

Joonmyun was quick to give up pretending to act like he didn't want the attention or affection, and he leaned into Kai as the bigger wolf curled up around him, nuzzling into him. Everything hurt -- his ribs, chest, head, and the bond with the way it tugged at him alongside the call of the moon -- and it made everything impossible. He tried not to shift too much with Kai wrapped around him, but he just couldn't stay still. 
 
Eventually, he gave up, settling in the position he'd found the most comfortable. Not long after, Joonmyun's ears picked up the sound of howling, and not long after that Kai's warmth disappeared. The elder let out a soft whimper as the other padded to the balcony, watching and listening through the open door. The howls came one after another, and Joonmyun quickly figured their significance. 
 
Kai -- and Jongin by default -- was the alpha now, and they were all submitting to him, showing their approval and willingness to follow him. Joonmyun would have followed suit, because something pulled at him, telling him that he needed to, but nothing felt right at the moment and so he didn't move from the bed as he whined again. Things were going to be rough for a while, but he'd make it through it; with Jongin's help, he'd make it through everything in one piece. 

 

When Kai returned to the bed, he nuzzled his nose into Joonmyun's neck and stretched out beside the elder male, head resting on his front paws as he watched him carefully. Things certainly felt... a bit more comfortable now that they didn't have to worry about the Alpha, and for the first time Kai allowed himself to drift off worry free, although he stirred every few hours to keep an eye on Joonmyun. 
 
By the morning after the last full moon, when Jongin mumbled in his sleep and curled tighter into Joonmyun's side, he was content in the knowledge that Joonmyun had done a lot better the second day of the full moon, and he'd enjoyed watching the way the elder moved around - albeit awkwardly and rather cutely - and he'd spent a good deal of their time just trying to teach Joonmyun what the different sounds meant, as well as he could... anyway.
 
Yawning softly, Jongin stirred, pushing himself up into a sitting position as his eyes adjusted to the half dark offered by the lack of windows. His attention almost immediately shifted to Joonmyun, and he leaned down to press a lingering kiss to the elder's forehead. 
 
"I love you so much," he whispered, his throat constricting as he brushed a lock of hair out of the elder's features, being careful not to wake him. "I can't believe I almost lost you. And I'm so sorry..."

 

For everything that had happened over the past several hours, Joonmyun slept peacefully albeit sporadically, sinking deep into darkness easily each time. He did wake often, but out of discomfort, not because he'd had a nightmare. Somewhere inside he knew that having Kai at his side helped, knowing he was there to protect him from everything. 
 
His second day seemed far worse than the first, though better for the most part. Joonmyun had been determined to become natural at movements in his new form, refusing to quit until he'd achieved something. But, after almost tripping down the stairs several times and falling off the bed more than once -- both jostling his chest rather painfully -- he'd given up. One thing he'd improved on, however, was laying down in a position that wasn't awkward while still being comfortable on his ribcage, which healed with each passing hour. 
 
Joonmyun had found deep sleep that night, and so he wasn't aware of the change back to his human form until a slight shift aroused him and he felt warm skin against his own. He clung to that warm but allowed himself to doze, mind a haze to everything around him. And then he was being pulled out by a heat against his forhead and a familiar voice whispering words that were garbled by his half asleep state. 
 
A small whine passed his lips and he curled into himself and the warm body, Jongin's body, that was next to him. Joonmyun was still achey, and some part of him feared that waking up meant facing reality and the fact that everything wasn't a dream, even though he knew it wasn't. He'd have to face it sometime, and sooner was always better than later. 
 
"Jongin...." He murmured, still refusing to open his eyes as he pressed his face to the younger male's chest. "Jongin.... I love you." Thank you for saving me; thank you for not letting me go. "I love you... so much." Joonmyun didn't know what to say; despite having a thousand questions he didn't know what to say. 
 
For a long time Joonmyun lay there in silence, clinging to Jongin, refusing to let him go, afraid of what would happen if he let go. Things were going to be different, so different, and Joonmyun was scared because he didn't know what to do. After a while he finally opened his eyes and pulled back just enough to look up at the younger boy, eyes filled with question and even that little bit of fear of the future. 
 
"What happens now?" 

 

Jongin smiled as he heard Joonmyun's voice, and he lay back down, arms wrapping around his mate's waist to hold him close as he reflected on everything that had happened. It felt like it had only been a few weeks since he and Joonmyun had met, how they'd not particularly liked one another at first - and Joonmyun most certainly hadn't trusted him at all (for obvious reasons) - and how they'd learnt to get along, and then learnt to love.
 
He couldn't see a world without Joonmyun in it, a world without him would be worthless, incomplete. And now they would be together... bonded by more than just fate, by more than just their love. 
 
It was a scary idea, the future, and what it held for them. Jongin was Alpha now, he'd killed the man he and Taemin had once called father, killed the person that had been destroying his life and his pack from the inside out (not to mention he'd tried to kill his mate; totally unforgiveable). 
 
He'd yet to see Sunny and the boys - and even Taemin - since the moon had set, but he could meet up with them and the pack later, after he and Joonmyun spent time together to tighten the bond that had been so close to being destroyed. He shifted a little to get more comfortable, his fingers drifting up and down Joonmyun's spine as he stared up at the ceiling, before he smiled and turned to face the elder.
 
"What happens now? We spend the rest of our lives loving each other, and you get to see a whole new world by my side..."
 
 

 

Final Note: Well, dear readers, this is the end of The Howling. Saphyra and I started this 5 months ago and I can't believe that it's come to this. I would never have imagined then that we would have done all we did and now it's ending. This has honestly been one of the best things I've written in so long, and I only have Saphyra to thank. I believe she was the one who suggested the "Beauty and the Beast" theme, and she's also given this plot many ideas amidst those random middle of the night hours where ideas just seem to spark. 

Now, as I mentioned before... this is not the very end end end. We do have some things in store for you guys and we really hope you decide to follow along. Honestly, your comments and input are amazing and we love waking up and reading your comments in the mornings (or even in the middle of the day for a boost) because they just make us smile -- several of  you actually make us flail, but we'll not give names. 

So, keep an eye out. There will be a chapter after this one with a bit more information and a few links for you to enjoy. 

We love you guys! 

Stay awesome!!