Missing You

The Howling - Part V: Restless

 

Despite the chill to the air, Joonmyun slept quite soundly that night, curled up inside Kai's large form much like the pups of a mother wolf might. But he was much more than a pup was to its mother; he was Kai's and Jongin's mate, and there was a bond between them that couldn't be severed. 
 
The next three days were simple, easy, and essentially eventless, save for the places in the garden and the maze that Kai showed him, places he would have thought to large and spacious for a place like this, but they were stunning nonetheless. Once or twice, Joonmyun slipped back into the manor -- with Kai's protection of course -- and made himself a small meal before returning to the gardens. 
 
Seeing this side of Jongin, seeing Kai was not at all what he had expected. Joonmyun had seen what power Kai possessed, saw the way it rippled beneath beneath the boy's skin on occassion, but now he saw what the wolf really was -- when he wasn't angry or provoked, that is. 
 
Simply put, Kai was a puppy, playfull and loving and attention seeking. Joonmyun spent hours playing with him, watching him and smiling and laughing as he bounded around the clearing. After all they'd been through, it was nice to have this time together where there wasn't much to worry about, where not even the full moon was such a threat anymore. Sure, the others were out there somewhere, but Joonmyun was safe with Kai. 
 
On the third and final night, Joonmyun had fallen asleep with Kai just like he had every other time -- wrapped in a blanket and curled up into him. He was comfortable and warm, but somewhere in the middle of the night, part of that warmth faded and the elder was only vaguely aware of a human arm replacing what had been a paw, but he thought nothing much of it and drifted back into sleep. 
 
When he woke in the morning it was to sunshine, birds, and Jongin -- ohheythereJongin. Joonmyun managed a small smile as he whined and curled up into the younger male's chest, stealing all the warmth he could and refusing the urge to wake up because it was a new day. 

 

Over those next three days, Kai took Joonmyun to all the hidden places that he knew Jongin had been wanting to show him, reveling in the way the elder's smile brightened with each new place, each new discovery. It was an image that he'd keep with him for when he returned to Jongin's subconscious. 
 
On the rare moments when he was full of energy and reverted to the age he actually was in maturity, Kai spent the days bounding like an oversized puppy, getting Joonmyun to throw things and chase him around the clearing. Oftentimes he felt Jongin getting very embarrassed at his puppy like behavior, but he pushed it aside to deal with later. 
 
Just before sleeping on the third and final night of the full moon, Kai retrieved a small stone, as clear as the moon, from one of his hiding holes scattered throughout the maze, and nudged it into Joonmyun's hands. Jongin could explain later what it meant, but for now, he wanted to know that Joonmyun knew how much he cared, how much he wanted him to care.
 
It was during the night, as the moon began to set, that Kai slipped back into the subconscious and Jongin returned, morphing back into boy with almost no pain and stress. Jongin shifted a little to get more comfortable, snuggling under the blanket and closer to Joonmyun.
 
Come morning, he was blissfully happy, still asleep and still very much , and it wasn't until he heard Joonmyun whine and then snuggle closer into his chest that he felt the need to stir. Opening his eyes slowly, he yawned before pressing a faint kiss against the crown of Joonmyun's head, arms tightening around the elder's waist as he listened to him breathe.
 
He'd missed holding his mate in his arms.

 

Joonmyun had been quite content with going back to sleep, but Jongin's tightening grip and the kiss to his forehead coerced him into consciousness and he slowly opened his eyes. For the longest of moments, he let his gaze linger over the boy's features, taking in what he hadn't seen in three days. Beautiful still, his presence comforting and protective and calming; he was everything Joonmyun wanted and needed. 
 
With a soft, fond smile, Joonmyun closed the distance between them and pressed his lips against Jongin's, stealing him for a deep and lingering kiss to make up for the last few days. The kisses they shared never failed to electrify his nerves, setting what lay beneath his skin on fire, and it was so easy to let the bond take hold. And he did just let, letting their connection pull him in and draw him closer to Jongin. 
 
He knew that, at some point, the bond would pull them in deep and there would be no going back. Joonmyun would gladly accept that when the time came, but for now he was content with this, the sharing of kisses, whether they be short and sweet or long and filled with desire. For now, this was all he needed. 

 

A soft hum escaped the younger male when Joonmyun shifted in his arms, and he looked down at him carefully, smile lifting his features and hair falling into his eyes, before he let the elder claim his lips for a kiss that he'd so very much desired. One of his hands lifted to cup Joonmyun's cheek, fingers caressing the nape of his neck and thumb brushing across his jawline.
 
He lingered in the kiss, lips parted a little and breath hot against Joonmyun's mouth as he pressed against him, lettig the bond for a moment draw them deeper into what he knew it wanted, but not deep enough that he lost himself. He knew he wanted the moment to be perfect, knew he wanted Joonmyun to know... to make the decision... so he pulled back when he felt the burn in his chest and the dizziness in his head that came from needing oxygen... or maybe from drowning in all that Joonmyun was.
 
Letting his lips brush once more against Joonmyun’s as he pulled away, Jongin breathed out and chuckled, lying back against the pillows that had been spread across the pagoda as he stared up at the roof. "I missed you..."

 

The kisses they shared were always the same: if Joonmyun didn’t know what had bound them together, it would have terrified him how much he enjoyed the burn in his lungs, how much he didn’t care he was drowning in whatever feeling washed over him. But he knew, and he let the fire steal his breath until his head spun and the darkness of unconsciousness began to filter in around the edges of his vision and consciousness. 
 
When Jongin pulled away the second time, Joonmyun let out a quiet whine and ducked his head into the crook of the younger male’s neck, arm draped over his abdomen as he let himself get lost now in the beautiful, earthy smell of the boy. There was something about his scent that could only belong to him and that Joonmyun would always know as his; it was something he never wanted to forget. 
 
“I missed you, too, Jongin,” he murmured softly in reply, shifting so that he could press a light kiss to Jongin’s neck. “I wish you didn’t have to leave me for so long, but it was nice to see the other side of you.” Joonmyun saw now that he wasn't the monster he'd thought when he first arrived here, but he was sweet and caring and nothing more than a giant puppy.   

 

A slight chuckle worked its way up from the base of Jongin's throat, and he drew lazy circles into Joonmyun's shoulder. "I'm glad you got to bond with Kai... Sometimes I myself forget how much like an oversized puppy he is; I guess it's because the only times I've Changed before this, I've been forced to go with the pack and Kai's always antsy around the Alpha..."
 
He closed his eyes a little, content to fall back asleep until he realized he could feel the warmth of the elder's arm pressing against his abdomen. Half sitting up, Jongin squeaked a little and tugged the blanket higher around his waist, eyes lowering to watch Joonmyun as he offered him a small smile.
 
"...Next time... remind me to bring some of my own clothes for when i Change back," he murmured, running the fingers of both hands through his hair to attempt to straighten the messy locks.