Change

The Howling - Part V: Restless

 

The next two weeks were long and almost painful, and they only had the alpha to thank for that.  He made regular visits to them, always having some snide comment or something he thought might dig under Joonmyun's skin. It usually did, and it made the elder afraid to leave Jongin's room, and if they did then Joonmyun clung to the boy, afraid that letting go would result in some terriblehorribleawful consequence. 
 
It was only made better by the fact that Joonmyun could curl up in Jongin's arms each night and know that he would wake up the next morning, unharmed. That was were he truly felt safe, pressed against him, tucked beneath his arms. At the end of the day their troubles were always worth it because he was still here, with Jongin. 
 
But the impending full moon brought anxiousness again, and Joonmyun found himelf growing more and more worrisome over those three days where Kai would take over. The elder wasn't at all sure he wanted to be outside this time, not with how bold and relentless the alpha had gotten, and it terrified him that he'd find them while they were outside. 
 
The afternoon of the first night found him still curled up in bed next to Jongin, enjoying the last bit of human contact that he'd have for three days. They were both awake but drifting in and out of a pleasant haze, not speaking as they enjoyed each other's company. Joonmyun was the first to break the silence, voice quiet as he ducked his head. "I don't think I'm going with you this time, Jongin."

 

Jongin knew the reason why Joonmyun didn't want to stray far from the safety of their room, from the safety of his arms, and while Joonmyun had slept one morning he'd spoken to Changmin and Yunho, asking for help in watching over his mate. He didn't know what the Alpha was thinking any more... usually the man left him alone, unless he'd done something to 'annoy' him, so all these small visits were starting to concern Jongin. He had no idea what Byunghun's game plan was, and that scared him.
 
It scared him because it was too close, too personal now, with how Byunghun threatened Joonmyun and if it hadn't been for the comfort the elder boy offered him when they could lie curled up together, he would have challenged Byunghun. Of course, he would only do that had he not a mate to think of and protect, in the chance that he lost against the Alpha and was killed.
 
But now he had Joonmyun, and he had to find some other way to deal with Byunghun that didn't inadvertently put his mate in the line of fire. 
 
He was still lost in thought on how to deal with Byunghun without risking Joonmyun when he heard the elder speak, and glanced up n an attempt to focus through his slightly feverish haze. "I know. I'm not going anywhere... Kai will have to make do with the bedroom for the next three days; I'm not leaving you here alone."
 
He spoke softly, his arms tightening around Joonmyun's body before he pulled him closer to his bare chest, face nuzzling into his hair. "I promise I'll keep you safe, from everything and everyone..."

 

With Jongin's words echoing in his mind Joonmyun nuzzled into his chest, into the warmth, ignoring the burning of Jongin's skin as he pulled himself closer. He let himself drift then, falling into a light sleep of sorts because there was nothing else for him to do, nothing else he wanted to do. 
 
When he woke sometime later the first thing he was aware of was the heat that poured from Jongin, his skin much hotter now than it had been before; the second being the darkness that had fallen. The moon would rise soon and Jongin would be forced to make the Change; Joonmyun would have to let him for a while. He didn't know why, but that thought was even more unsettling than it had been in the past. 
 
"Jongin," he murmured rather reluctantly, grip tightening around the boy as he ignoring the heat. "Jongin, I think it's almost time." Joonmyun might not have been wolf himself, but he could still feel the pull through Jongin, and he didn't want the boy to hurt any more than was absolutely necessary. 

 

Jongin's arms tightened maybe a little more protectively around Joonmyun as the elder boy drifted back into sleep, even though he remained awake. His body was hypersensitive, a by-product of the oncoming Change, and he couldn't sleep for the ache in his bones and the worry that was rolling off Joonmyun in waves. It settled uncomfortably in his stomach, and he could no more ignore it than he could stop it - save for waking Joonmyun up and distracting him with something else.
 
He knew the boy was afraid of the Alpha, knew that he wouldn't go outside while there was so much more to worry about - hell, he didn't want Joonmyun to go outside while the Alpha was wolf. Everything was accumulating so fast... why couldn't he and Joonmyun just be happy and be together without having t worry about the Alpha and everything else.
 
He hadn't even realized he'd drifted off until he was being coaxed out of his haze by Joonmyun's soft voice, by the elder's arms tightening around him, and he groaned softly as he came to. "I know; I can feel it...Don't worry, I'm not going to leave you alone.."
 
Carefully, he shifted off the bed and straightened awkwardly, his boxers sitting low on his hips as he breathed out and made his way to the center of the room. The Change this time was near flawless, a coaxing of one being as the other faded away, and before Jongin could even blink Kai stood in his place, noticeably less energetic and high strung than he had been the last time. Amber eyes glowing faintly, Kai tilted his head up a little and sniffed, testing the air before he padded over to the bed and climbed up onto the end. 
 
He could sense as well as Jongin that Joonmyun was worried, but he wouldn't let the Alpha come near him, not while he was strong enough to keep him away.

 

Joonmyun didn't move until Jongin had climbed off the bed, and even then he only sat up and pulled his legs to his chest, buring his face against his knees while Jongin made the Change. There was an awful sense of forboding in his chest as he felt Jongin fade from his senses and Kai took his place; he didn't like it, but there was not a thing he could do to change it. 
 
He didn't realize how long he'd curled up into him self until he felt the bed dip and shift, and he looked up to see that Jongin had settled at the end of the bed. Joonmyun eyed him for a moment before shoving the covers away and crawled down to where the wolf lay, curling up against him and burying his face in his soft fur as he tried to resist the strong urge to cry. 
 
It was almost overwhelming, the feeling in his chest, and it brought tears prickling to his eyes. He hated being so helpless; he felt like he was at the mercy of the alpha more and more. Jongin might have been able to offer him protection, but he could do nothing about what the alpha said and the mental state that it put Joonmyun in at times. 
 
Right now, he wanted to give up, but he held on because he needed to be here for Jongin and Jongin wasn't going to let him go so easily. He needed to hold on because he loved Jongin and he didn't want Jongin to turn out like the alpha: alone and angry at the world. 

 

Kai whined softly, unable to ignore the raw emotion amplified by the bond. He curled tighter around Joonmyun's body, nose pressing into his mate's arm in an attempt to comfort him. He knew he couldn't give much comfort in this form, and felt helpless, unable to do anything to make him feel better. He wished he could speak, even in his mind, just to tell Joonmyun that it would be okay, that he'd always keep him safe... for as long as he was able.
 
Some time later, he wasn't sure how long it had been, he was roused from his light sleep with the sensation of energy burning through his veins. Although Jongin had said he'd be fine with the room, he needed to run, needed the fresh air... needed to burn up his energy. He turned his head, eyeing the sleeping Joonmyun carefully before he slowly and awkwardly stretched himself out. He was careful not to wake the elder as he moved, nose prodding him back into the centre of the bed before he tugged the covers over him. 
 
Now standing, Kai stretched right out, back arched and eyes closing as he breathed out before he crossed to the locked door. He couldn't get out on the balcony, the door was shut and he didn't have opposable thumbs. Nor could he get out through the bedroom door; same issue with the thumbs.
 
Whining again, he dropped down on his haunches, head bowed as he sniffed at the door. He didn't really want to wake Joonmyun up either to let him out.

 

It was so easy to drift off with Kai so close, with the warmth and comfort that quickly surrounded him, and Joonmyun left himself to the gentle darkness. He didn't quite fall into an actual sleep; no, his mind wouldn't let him, but the light doze was enough to settle his emotions for the time being. That was all he really needed, something to take his mind off everything even if for only a short while. 
 
At some point during the night Joonmyun was shifted, nudged into a different position and covered with a different warmth, but he made no move to get up or open his eyes, too comfortable where he was. However, he felt the emptiness beside him, and it was that emptiness of not having Jongin or Kai right beside him, and it forced him awake. 
 
Upon waking and finding that Kai was, in fact, not there beside him Joonmyun sat up and glanced around. He found the wolf sitting by the door, for all the world looking like a hurt puppy. After watching for a moment the elder realized what he wanted, especially after feeling the energy that flowed from the other. He wanted out, wanted to run, and Joonmyun couldn't deny him that, no matter how much he wanted him to stay. 
 
After untangling himself from the sheets, Joonmyun crossed over to the door and stood in front of Kai, eying him for a moment as he set his hand on the door knob. "Go run for awhile, okay? I'll stay here. Just.... paw at the door three times when you get back and I'll let you in." Joonmyun reached out, hesitant for a moment before he ran his fingers through the fur on top of the wolf's head, gently kissing his nose before pulling the bedroom door open. 

 

Kai whined, instantly regretting moving because he heard Joonmyun move before he saw him, heard the rustle of sheets and of clothing moving against skin, felt Joonmyun come closer, and he lifted his head to meet the elder male's eye. Almost at once his eyes dropped, head drooping as he pressed his nose into Joonmyun's hand. He didn't really want to leave him, not for too long - an hour at the most would be enough for Kai... at least until the next night.
 
At his words, the wolf's ears perked, and he the boy's cheek after feeling the soft kiss to his nose. He nuzzled his head into Joonmyun's hands, wishing he could tell him that he wouldn't be gone long, that he'd be okay... that Kai wouldn't let anything hurt him and he'd be back before he knew it... but he had to settle for a throaty whine and then a soft to his fingers. 
 
As the door opened, he tested the air, searching for the Alpha's scent. Comfortable that he couldn't smell him, he nuzzled into Joonmyun's side once more before he carefully stepped out into the hallway and then made his way towards the back of the manor. He'd be back as soon as he could. And the bond would alert him to any danger.