I love you.

The Howling - Part V: Restless

 

"I like Kai as an over sized puppy," Joonmyun replied, smile ever-present. "I don't feel threatened but I still feel safe." And that's what was important, that he felt comfortable and protected at the same time. Any outweighing on one side would throw everything off balance and Joonmyun would end up locking himself away with Taemin during the full moon. 
 
The elder settled into a light doze against Jongin, feeling at ease with himself as well as with what he could sense of the younger. It was pleasant, and Joonmyun was quite content to stay like that, but after a too-short while the boy shifted and the older male looked up. At his words, he realized that Jongin did not, in fact, have clothes. But it didn't seem to bother Joonmyun like it had in the past. 
 
"You don't have to be embarrassed around me, Jongin-ah," Joonmyun said with a smile, his voice quickly changing from sincerity to playfulness alongside his expression. "It's nothing I haven't seen before." It wasn't just that. They were both males; they were bonded together and so it was something they were going to see at some point or another. Joonmyun was surprised that just the thoughts alone didn't have him blushing. 

 

Jongin's voice was a weak whine - very reminiscent to Kai's wolfish whines - and he ducked his head as his cheeks flushed red, before he peeked out at Joonmyun through his fingers. "So mean; let's see you strip down and still act nonchalant in front of someone you care about," he mumbled, his usual charm fading to give way to a slightly flustered teen that looked as if he'd just been caught by his parent doing something stupid.
 
Finally, Jongin straightened, cheeks less pink but not quite back to normal, and he offered Joonmyun a small, sheepish smile as he leaned in to kiss him softly. He hesitated for a long moment, lips lingering on Joonmyun's before he pulled back and breathed out. He was silent after that, brow furrowed in thought and fingers twisting into the blanket before he looked up at Joonmyun.
 
He just looked at him, eyes dark and full of wonder, affection and love, before he grinned brightly and leaned in to kiss him again. "Joonmyun, I love you."
 
And he did, god how he loved him. Joonmyun was a warmth that soaked into his flesh, into his bones and into his heart. He hadnt been sure before, because he hadn't known how Joonmyun would react to Kai, but now that he knew the elder accepted both parts of him, his heart had decided for him. And he'd decided to voice that decision.
 
"I love you..."

 

To Joonmyun, Jongin's words were almost a challenge, one he probably would have taken him up on if it weren't for the fact that the younger male's insinuations were correct. Despite his own words, he'd be too shy and flustered at this point in their relationship to willingly strip in front of the younger male. Some day that would all fade -- he was sure -- but that day was not today. 
 
No, today they were still shy, blushing, and awkward, and Joonmyun was sure that he was okay with that. Then again, he couldn't argue with much with Jongin's lips pressed against his own, not that he had much coherency for that. 
 
When Jongin pulled back, Joonmyun watched him, curious about the contemplative expression on his face. And then he could feel it, the emotions that ran through the boy and it overwhelmed him to the point where he almost didn't catch was the younger male had said to him. But he did catch it, and it wasn't at all what he'd been expecting, if he'd been expecting anything. 
 
Those three words, that one statement caught Joonmyun off guard and he just lay there, staring at Jongin, unsure of how to respond. Sure, the thought had crossed his mind before, that perhaps he did more than just /like/ the boy, but he'd never lingered on it long enough for his heart to lead him in one direction or another. But now was different. Now that he was staring straight at it, his heart turned him in the direction that it wanted him to go. 
 
Joonmyun leaned in closer, lips hovering just a breath over Jongin's as he whispered an 'I love you, too' in reply before stealing him for another kiss, this one longer, deeper, more meaningful than anything they'd shared before. 

 

Jongin waited, eyes filled with worry as they watched Joonmyun's facial features. Maybe it had been too early. Maybe he shouldn't have said it at all. Maybe... maybe... maybe. And yet... as soon as he heard the whispered response, his heart leapt in his chest and he leaned in to deepen the kiss, fingers tangled through Joonmyun's hair and mouth warm against the elder's. 
 
"I'm glad," he hummed, mumbling the words against Joonmyun's lips as he kissed him again before pulling back to press a kiss to the tip of his nose, to his forehead, to each cheekbone and then back to his lips. "That you do... I was afraid that-- that you didn't... or couldn't love me...But i'm glad that you do."
 
Although he was quite sure he could go on kissing Joonmyun, even after all his breath had faded and he was running on empty, he pulled away and chuckled, straightening a little as he eyed Joonmyun carefully.

 

"I just needed time, Jongin," Joonmyun murmured, one hand lifting to brush across the younger male's cheek. It takes time to see what your heart is telling you." Sometimes it took long to tell you clearly, but there had been enough time in this and Joonmyun was quite satisfied with the feeling that had settled in his stomach. 
 
After a few moments of silence between them, a few moments to just enjoy each other, Joonmyun became aware of the stone that had been placed in his hand the night before, and he remembered then that he'd wanted to ask Jongin about it when he Changed back. So, he lifted the stone so that when he twirled it between his fingers Jongin could see, too. 
 
"This is pretty," he said quietly as he gaze shifted between Jongin and the stone. "What is it? What does it mean?" There had to have been a reason behind it if Kai had given it to him; then again, it could have had no special meaning at all and he would have been completely okay with that because it still would have been special to him. 

 

Jongin flushed and pressed his face quite happily into Joonmyun's hand at his words, feeling both flustered and amazed by the elder. He didn't know what else to say, so he left it all unsaid, knowing now that Joonmyun knew how he felt and tht he reciprocated those feelings. His eyes were drawn to the stone that the elder lifted after a moment, and at first Jongin's eyes widened in shock before his face darkened bright red.
 
"...Right. Kai gave that to you..." his voice cracked, and he cleared his throat before continuing. "It... belonged to my mother. It's a moonstone, given to her by my-- by the Alpha when they were first mate bound. Before she died, she gave it to me... to give to my mate when I met her... or him."
 
He hadn't given it to Joonmyun earlier because he'd been unsure about his feelings, unsure about so much and he hadn't wanted the gesture to be looked at as something more than it was. "I-If you don't like it... I can...." He trailed off, shaking his head as he rubbed his chin a little sheepishly. "I guess Kai decided it was time to give it to you."

 

Joonmyun's attention had been drawn to the stone, but he glanced at Jongin when he heard the way his voice cracked. His eyes were wide, fond, full of wonder and love as he listened to what the younger had to say. He could see and read that look in his eyes, the almost-hesitant emotion and Joonmyun knew, with that, that what he held between his fingers was more than just a simple gift. 
 
He lowered his hand with the stone before bringing his other back up to cup Jongin's cheek, thumb brushing across his flushed skin. "I love it, Jongin. It obviously means a lot to you, so I will cherish it always." Did that sound cheesy? Absolutely. Did Joonmyun care? Not one bit. Jongin had given him something that held deep, treasured memories of the woman who had given him life, a person he was close to, someone he'd loved dearly. It meant a lot to the elder to recieve such a gift, and he would hold it close to his heart.
 
After a moment, Joonmyun drew Jongin for another kiss, soft and tender and sweeet while still playing into the grips of the bond. He might not have admitted it out loud -- though, it was likely that he didn't need to -- but he enjoyed their deeper kisses much more, but for the sake of the moment he kept himself in check.