Chapter 9

Sun-kissed

Amina woke up the following morning with a pounding headache and body ache. So much for pretending to be sick!  It had to be fate, punishment for lying the other day, she told herself.  She grabbed her phone and quickly dialed Dr. Park to let her know she wouldn't be able to keep her appointment that afternoon.

"Alright Amina-yah... If you want to want me to check you out, just come by the office okay?" replied Dr. Park.

"Neh... I will."

"I'll go ahead take care of today's morning appointment.  Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow.  If you don't, just call me okay?  Tomorrow's appointment is extra early, at 8:00 AM, but I think that's because they have something going on later that day."

Amina could hear Dr. Park rustling with her paper calendar.  "The appointment scheduled for Friday will be later at night, so you'll need to check with Youngbae's manager on what time they'll want you there. That should be the last appointment until the final follow-up next week"

"Neh... Kamsahamnida."

After hanging up, Amina grabbed some acetaminophen with sleep aid and burrowed herself deep beneath the covers.  She hoped the pain would go away with a little more rest.


Youngbae's disappointment turned into irritation when Amina didn't show up for the appointment Wednesday morning. She must really being going out of her way to avoid me, he thought to himself.  He understood that she might need time to recover from yesterday's incident, but surely today she would be able to face him. Unless... I was mistaken.  Maybe she really wasn't into me as I thought? He questioned his previous assumptions and worried about it all afternoon.

On Thursday, the boys were having a private show at the Blue Square Musical Hall.  The small show was for VIPs that had backstage passes to the final concert last Saturday, but weren't able to attend due to the accident.  It was nearly 3pm on a chilly afternoon.  The skies were grey and the winds had calmed down. All of the Big Bang members had just arrived and were milling around the stage going over the final details.

"Do you have some idea on how many VIPs will be attending tomorrow?" asked Daesung.

"I don't know.  From what I heard, there were about fifty or so back-stage VIP passes that were sold or handed out for that evening," replied Seunghyun. "Since we have a short deadline, we can just pick something we've done before right?"

Jiyong looked up from where he was sitting in the middle of the stage.  "Yeah... let's just keep it simple.  Since Taeyang is injured, we'll just sing acapella - maybe 'Haru Haru' or do a little beat box mash-up of some songs." He turned to face Youngbae, who was sitting on a speaker box nearby. "What do you think, Taeyang-shi?"

It took awhile before Youngbae noticed they were waiting for him to answer. "Oh...yeah, I'm good with that."  His simple reply garnered the attention of everyone around him.  It was unusual to hear Youngbae say so little at these types of meetings.  But if anyone thought it was odd, they refrained from saying anything.

"Alright then," Jiyong interjected.  "Let's do that and also perform our encore song in acapella."

"'Last Farewell'?" asked Seungri.

"Neh," confirmed Jiyong.

The boys talked through their routine once more before moving on to the workshop portion of their event.  It was something they hadn't done before - giving their fans a taste of the YG life by grouping them into teams and "auditioning" them. "So we just need to group everyone in groups of five and have one of us mentor each group.  We'll let them sing a song from the tour and then give a prize to the winning group that does the best," announced Jiyong.

"Do you think everyone will participate?" asked Seunghyun.

"I'm not sure.  We won't pressure if they don't want to," replied Jiyong.

"So it's both singing and dancing that we'll be judging them on?" asked Daesung.

"Also stage presence," added Jiyong. "If they can give a good stage performance, they'll get bonus points for it."

"So what songs are we having them perform?" asked Daesung.

"I can't say," smiled Jiyong.  "It'll be a surprise.  You'll find out the same time the fans find out." 

A competitive vibe went through the members as they contemplated how they would showcase their coaching skills once they were assigned teams.  "What if there are individuals that can't sing well?  Can we have them overlap parts?" asked Daesung.

"Or what if they can't dance?" added Seunghyun, which earned a smirk from Seungri.

 "You can do whatever you like.  Just work with what you have," said Jiyong.  "Any other questions?"

Seungri piped in.  "Hey, we still need to talk about the Thank You party we're hosting this Saturday."

"What's there to talk about?  I think all the plans have been made," said Jiyong.

"Well, I was wondering...," Seungri hesitated, "if we can bring a date."

"You want to bring a date?" asked Jiyong incredulously. "Have you not learned anything?"

"Hyung, I think it will be fine.  Seungri's been on his best behavior lately.  I'm sure he wouldn't bring someone inappropriate," said Daesung pointedly as Seungri.

Seungri nodded slowly at Daesung.  "Um.. yeah, that's right.  I wouldn't bring someone into our mix that we wouldn't trust.  Besides, I really don't have anyone in mind right now.  I was just wondering..."

"Aish! Why did you even ask then?" said Jiyong.

"Just in case I meet someone this week," replied Seungri impishly.

"You mean, if you meet someone at the show?" Seunghyun snickered.  "If he can find someone that meets the house rules, then let him bring a date."

Jiyong relented.  "Alright, if you can bring someone that fits the house rule, you can bring them.  Remember!  House rule means that they have to be family or someone we," he moved his index finger in a circle to indicate the other band members, "already met before.  You got that?"

"Hai!" Seungri exclaimed and bowed enthusiastically.


It was sunset before Amina woke up from her deep sleep.  Her head was still pounding and her body felt weak from not having eaten anything all day.  She reached for her cell phone and noticed a message from Hanna.  "Mimi... DL flying into town next week.  Family dinner planned.  Need to be there, k?"  Amina groaned inwardly.  Speak of the devil! We just talked about him the other day... Amina didn't know if it was a good sign that David was coming back home or not.  It was near Christmas break and he always liked to visit his family during this time.  Amina just hadn't expected to meet him up with her family for dinner.  But she'd worry about that later.  First, she needed to get some food.

Try as she might, she couldn't get the energy to fix herself dinner that night.  She settled for a small package of ramyun and went back to bed.  On Thursday morning, she woke up late.  It was nearly 7:30AM, and she knew she wouldn't be able to keep the appointment today.  She immediately called Dr. Park and apologized for not being able to attend. 

"That's alright; I'll wrap up the appointment myself.  Are you sure you don't want to be checked out?" asked Dr. Park.

"I planned on swinging by to catch up on my emails. I feel a little better than yesterday, but I can't shake it off.  I think it's just a mild case of flu, but I'll have you check me out just to be sure."

"Okay, I'll see you later today then."

After hanging up the phone, Amina berated herself for missing yet another appointment.  It didn't matter that she wasn't feeling well. She hated missing her appointments.  Her head continued to pound and a slight fever still lingered.  She grabbed some medication and downed it with a glass of water, before heading to the bathroom to shower.  Once she was finished, she noticed the light indicator on her phone blinking.  It was a message from Yuri.

Unnie - Big Bang tonight!  =D

Amina groaned inwardly.  How could she forget?  The show was tonight.  It was the last place she wanted to go, not only because she wasn't feeling well, but also because it would be the first time she'd seen Youngbae since they shared their kiss.  Maybe he's forgotten about it all by now, she wished desperately.  There was no use in dwelling over it, especially with her headache.  She sighed.  Today she was just going to take Hanna's advice and let whatever happen, happen. 

Even though she wasn't feeling her best, Amina made sure she at least looked the best that she could under the circumstances.  She pulled on her favorite pair of knee high boots over dark wash jeans and tied her curled up hair in a high pony tail.  Her face was paler than usual, so she added some blush to the apples of her cheeks. She then popped on a vibrant, green, cashmere, wrap cardigan over a simple white tank.  The cardigan was form fitting and showed off her curves, but it was also practical because it would keep her warm without having to wear a jacket. Amina checked her phone for additional messages before heading out of her apartment.  She imagined the work that was piling up on her desk while she'd been away and looked forward to the distraction.


When Amina didn't show up for the morning appointment, Youngbae's irritation from yesterday turned into concern.  "Is she okay?"

"She says she's feeling better today, but thinks it might just be a mild case of flu.  I'm going to see her later today, just to be sure."

"Oh."

Dr. Park smiled and nodded at Youngbae.  "I'll let her know you asked about her though."

After Dr. Park left the dorm, Youngbae contemplated asking Boram for Amina's number.  So she really is sick? He wanted to call and check up on Amina, but didn't know if she would welcome the concern or not.  He needed to stop worrying about the whole mess.  He had a show to prepare for.  There was a small knock at his door.

"Come in."

Boram walked in.  He was dressed casually and had an excited expression on his face.  "You ready?" Although the show wouldn't start for several hours, Boram knew Youngbae liked to be early.

"Yeah, I think so.  But I'm going to put in a little walk at the gym this morning," replied Youngbae.  He needed to get rid of some stress before the show.  "I'll head over to the location afterwards." 

"Do you want me to wait?"

"No, you should just go ahead with the others.  I'll take my own car."

Boram thought that was odd but didn't say anything.  Everyone knew Youngbae hardly ever took his own car out.  "Okay.  Don't forget the press conference is at noon."

Youngbae looked at the clock on his nightstand.  "Okay, I'll be there.  I should have enough time."

"And don't forget, I'm officially off duty as of tonight," said Boram.  "I'm heading home after the show, so let me know if you need anything."

Youngbae forgot.  He knew Boram's vacation had been delayed, but forgot when Boram would be leaving.  It was on the tip of his tongue to ask for Amina's number.  But he fought against the urge.  If he needed to get a hold of her, he could always call the hospital.

"Alright, I will." 

Boram nodded and closed the door behind him.


Amina was immersed in the report that she was working on for Dr. Park that she didn't even get a chance to meet with her sunbaenim earlier in the day.  She completely skipped lunch and lost track of time.  Her phone vibrated.  It was Yuri.  Amina glanced at the clock on her desktop computer.  It was 5:45pm. 

"Aigoo Yuri!  I completely forgot!" exclaimed Amina as soon as she picked up the call.

"Okay, I'm here outside the Musical Hall.  I'll just wait for you.  The line is still forming, but no one's moving yet."

"Alright, I'm heading right over."  Amina hung up and quickly shut down her computer.  She stood up quickly and swayed a little, feeling light headed.  She in a deep breath and closed her eyes.  Not tonight, she quietly reprimanded herself.  She opened her eyes and quickly made her way out the office.


"Unnie, put this on!" exclaimed Yuri, cheesing full blown.  It was a tiara made out of the Big Bang crown logo.  Wanting to be anywhere but here, Amina put on her best effort to be excited and allowed her friend to plop the crown on top of her head. They stood in line next to a hundred other VIPs waiting for their chance to meet Big Bang.   All around her, the VIPs were exclaiming about Taeyang - some were reciting the accident, some were talking about how good he looked now that he was fully recovered.  Amina tried to drown them out as best as she could.

"Hyung... isn't that Amina? Your care-taker?  I didn't know she was a Big Bang fan," said Daesung.

Youngbae looked up from where he was seated at the greeting table, handing over the poster he just signed to a local fan.  There she was in the flesh.  He hadn't seen her in almost two days and she appeared fine.  "Yeah, that looks like her," he replied nonchalantly.  "But I don't think she's here on her own free will."

Jiyong heard the disappointment in his friend's voice and glanced towards the line.  "Wait... which one is Amina?"

"Towards the end of the group, green top with the boots," said Seungri. "What would be the future mother of my children if hyung doesn't make a move soon," he added playfully.

Too lost in his conflicting emotions, Youngbae didn't react to Seungri's comment.  Jiyong, on the other hand, kept staring at Amina in the crowd. After a long minute, he turned towards Youngbae with concern written all over his face.

"I've seen her before."

"What? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, but I can't remember when or how.  But I recognize her face from somewhere.  You said she was a medical student at Seoul National University?"

"Yes, she's the one I told you about."

Jiyong didn't say anything afterwards, which frustrated Youngbae like no other but he couldn't say anything more because the next set of fans were coming up towards the table for their turns.  Once they left, he turned towards Jiyong and quietly demanded, "Tell me.  I know you know something."

"Miahnae.. I really don't know anything."  Youngbae saw the sincerity in his best friend's eyes and knew Jiyong was telling him the truth.  He relaxed a little in his seat.  There were already a million of other things running though his mind right now. He didn't need another surprise to worry about.

"However," Jiyong interjected Youngbae's thoughts, "don't you find it odd that a poor medical student can afford $10,000 Christian Dior boots?"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive.  I've seen those black crocodile boots before at a photo shoot I did a couple of years ago for GQ.  One of the boss ladies wore them," Jiyong replied certain of himself.  "There's no way she could afford those if she bought them herself."

"Maybe someone else bought them for her," Daesung piped in.

Someone... like a guy? thought Youngbae.  He didn't say the words out loud, but everyone could tell what he was thinking. No one said anything as the line continued to progress quickly.  Before long, it was Amina and Yuri's turn to obtain signatures.

"Yuri," Amina whispered loudly, panicking.  "I don't have anything for them to sign!"

Yuri turned towards Amina, her face in shock.  "Whaaat?  Aigo.... What to do, what to do?" she repeated to herself.  "How about your crown!" she exclaimed.

"What? Oh, that's stupid!" cried Amina.  "Oh, I'm so pathetic," she worried, disgusted with herself.  "Who shows up to a signing event with nothing to sign?  This loser," she pointed to herself.

"Hmm..." Yuri worried her lip.  "Maybe they have a piece of paper or something that they could sign for you."

Amina felt like burying her head on Yuri's shoulder.  "I can't... I can't go up there," Amina shook her head.  "You go on ahead.  I'll just stay behind." Although it would be awkward to come all this way and not get autographs, it would solve another problem for her - seeing Youngbae.  Amina was immediately grateful for forgetting to bring something for the event.

"No, no, no, no...." Yuri chastised.  "You are not bailing out on me!  C'mon!"  She half dragged Amina towards the greeting table where Big Bang sat.  The guys looked up as soon as the girls headed their way.  Amina had no choice but to keep pace with Yuri.  She planted a pleasant face on herself as they greeted Seungri.

"Annyeonghaseyo." The girls quickly bowed and Yuri handed over her Big Bang photobook for an autograph.

"And who should I make this out to?" asked Seungri politely.

"Yuri, please," Yuri simpered.  She batted her eyelashes at him and he grinned in response. 

"Ah... here you go," Seungri handed over the photobook with a flourish.  Yuri giggled before moving onto the next Big Bang member, Daesung.

While waiting for Daesung to finish his autograph, Seungri nodded politely at Amina.  "Noona... those are nice boots you have on.  Christian Dior?" Youngbae glanced over at Seungri.  That maknae and his nosiness! He had his sunshades on so he couldn't even signal his disapproval.  He'd deal with Seungri later after the show.

Amina looked down towards her favorite boots, the pair that Hanna had given to her from a promotion a couple of years ago.  It was a modeling prop that was no longer needed and Hanna told her that she paid a good price for it.  "Um... yes."

"Oh, I've wanted to get a pair for my friend.  Do you know where I can get it?"

"Sorry... I don't know," she apologized.  "My cousin got it for me as a gift."

"Oh," Seungri grinned as he saw Youngbae's shoulders relax from the corner of his eye.  "That's too bad."  He paused before asking, "Do you have anything for me to sign?"

Amina blushed and pathetically replied, "Mianhae... I forgot to bring something."

"Oh, that's alright."  He held out his hand.

Amina stepped closer to the table to see what he was trying to show her.  He grabbed her hand, palm up, earning a surprised gasp from Amina.  "I'll just sign your hand," he announced boldly before penning his name.

"Do you want my number too?" He asked with a serious face.

"Mwuh?" Amina couldn't help but grin at Seungri's flirtatious remark.

"Yah!" Jiyong yelled from down the table.  "Seungri, why don't you grab us some more pens in the back?"

Amina glanced down the table towards Jiyong and could see his eyes as well as Youngbae's on her.  She quickly pulled her hand away, but not before noticing the markings on her hand.  The maknae really did put his number down! She looked up in surprise at Seungri's boldness and outright laughed when he winked in return at her. 

It was obvious that there was only another set of five individuals before the line ended, so there was no need to gather more pens.  But Seungri sighed and did what his fearless leader asked.  He knew he'd be getting an earful tonight. 

Yuri moved down towards Youngbae and Amina nodded politely at Daesung as she followed closely behind. Amina hoped she to repeat the same with the remaining Big Bang members.  Unfortunately, fate had other plans. 

"Please make it out to Yuri," Yuri requested politely.  She yanked on Amina's hand to pull her closer.  They rubbed shoulders.  Amina looked up and was confused at the nervous excitement written all over Yuri's face.  "This is my friend Amina.  She's a huge fan of yours!" Yuri's voice became breathy and nervously high pitched.

In shock, Amina felt blood rush to her face.  Too embarrassed beyond words, Amina continued to stare at Yuri's ears, hoping the ground would swallow her up.

"She didn't bring anything to sign, but if you would also write a note for her I know she'd appreciate it."

Seunghyun chuckled, swallowing the laugh behind his fist.  Jiyong, watched in amused shock at the scene playing out before him.  It was hard to see what Youngbae's reaction was behind his sunglasses.  The only visible change was a slight hesitation as he finished his autograph for Yuri.

Amina felt herself turn bright red, but she didn't care.  She couldn't just stand there anymore.  "Yah!  I can speak for myself."  She turned towards Youngbae and apologetically replied, "You don't need to do that," she shook her head.  "It's fine."  She turned towards Yuri.  "I'm going to go sit down now."

"What? Why unnie?  I thought wanted his autograph."

Aigoo! Please make her stop, Amina silently prayed.  Much to her horror, Amina watched Youngbae remove his black baseball cap and autograph the rim with a white pen.  He quietly motioned her over with a nod of his head.  Yuri, shaking and squealing in delight, half-pushed Amina towards the table.

Amina, with a pained expression on her face, apologetically replied, "Kamsahamnida." She bowed her thanks and reached for the cap, brushing his fingers along the way.  A bolt of electricity jolted her where their fingers collided, causing her to nearly drop the hat.  She felt the butterflies start in her stomach and quickly backed away.

"Yah!" Yuri exclaimed.  "You have to wear it! You have to wear it!"  Yuri quickly grabbed the crown tiara from Amina's head and plopped on Youngbae's hat in its place, pulling the ponytail through the space in the back of the cap. "Swag!" she proclaimed, earning chuckles from Jiyong and Seunghyun. A slight grin appeared on Youngbae's face.

Kill me now... Amina silently begged. The only person who sympathized with her was Daesung.  He took pity on her and interjected, "Mianhae... we must keep the line moving.  We still have our show to start and we're currently behind schedule."

"He's right, Yuri," said Amina.  "We're holding up the line.  I'm going to save us some seats, okay?" Before Yuri could reply, Amina quickly bowed to the guys and made her way inside the Hall.

"Oh.. okay unnie," replied a confused Yuri.  She didn't know what caused Amina to rush off like that.  She quietly asked herself,  "Was it something I said?"

Jiyong smiled to himself as he reached for the photobook from Youngbae.  "And who should I make this out to?"