Chapter 12

Sun-kissed

"Amina-shi?" a loud voice called, shaking Amina out of her thoughts.

"Neh?"

"Are you alright?  I called your name almost four times already," Yuri proclaimed, her voice full of concern.

"Oh... mianhae," Amina said, embarrassed to have been caught unaware.  "I have a lot on my mind."

"Are you feeling better?  You looked pale last night."

"Neh... I feel a whole lot better," Amina replied.  It was true.  Whatever ailed her two days ago was no longer in her system.  Maybe it was the soup. Or maybe it was the person who bought you the soup, her heart interjected.  Amina shoved the thought aside.  "I just have a lot to catch up on, that's all."

Yuri nodded her head.  "Did you want to catch a movie tonight?"

"I can't," Amina apologetically replied.  "I have one last appointment with a patient later this evening."

"Tonight? But it's already five o'clock," Yuri whined. They both looked outside the window. The sunset was almost gone and whatever light remaining turned gray from the heavy clouds.  It looked like it would snow tonight.

"I know..." Amina knew it was odd. Boram oppa had called her earlier that morning to push the appointment out to later in the evening.  He had just remembered a photoshoot that was lined up for Big Bang today and called her while on his vacation.  "I guess it was the only time they had available today."

"Humph... Whomever you're caring for must be really important.  I've never heard of in-home calls this late at night."

Amina could only nod in response.  She wished she could tell Yuri the circumstances but it wasn't wise. At least not right now.  But soon, after the assignment, Amina planned to tell her who the secret patient was.

"Well then, I guess I'll just head on out of here.  I'll see you on Monday."

"Neh... Have a good weekend Yuri."

"Annyeong."

"Annyeong."

Amina sat back in her office chair and stared at the computer screen.  She had been staring at the screen for the past couple of hours now, with little work to show for it.  Her mind wasn't focused.  She couldn't stop thinking about last night.  At first, she thought it was a dream.  She woke up to the warmth of her favorite throw blanket.  The lights were all turned off and the apartment was securely locked.  No remnants of last night's dinner remained in the kitchen.  All seemed normal until she spotted the coffee mug filled with tea on her night stand.  She cringed, imagining Youngbae's reaction when he found the cup. 

He must think I'm a crazy, obsessed fan! her heart wailed again for the nth time that day. Amina remembered when he had asked her who her bias was and her lame response. She hadn't seen him yet today and she was already anticipating the embarrassment. Aigoo.... She let out a large exhale and cupped both of her hands around her face. And who could forget the kiss?  Why did you kiss him again? she asked herself.  She closed her eyes and sighed.  And why did it feel so good to be kissed... especially by him? a small inner voice added.  She worried her bottom lip and looked into the distance. 

Just focus on tonight, she told herself.  Tonight was the last night that Amina would be caring for Youngbae's wounds.  His final appointment was with Dr. Park the following week.  After tonight, she wouldn't see him again - there was no need to.  They didn't share the same circle of friends or knew the same people. Amina felt her heart grow heavy with the thought.


Five hours later....

Amina stared up at the intimidating YG building, with its massive steel structure and lights blazed aglow.  The temperature had dropped significantly from earlier this afternoon.  She huddled deeper in her wool coat and firmed her grip on her medical bag.  Amina approached the security guard near the entrance. "Annyeonghasayeo," she bowed and introduced herself. She explained her reason for being there and waited.

"Oh...." the security guard replied.  "Let me call up there then.  He picked up his cell phone and made a quick dial.  "Neh.. Amina Eun from Seoul National University Hospital...." he paused.  "Neh... Annyeong." He turned to face Amina.

"You can go right in," he said after entering his biometric readings and code for the security door.  He held the door for her.  "They're on the third floor, in the recording studio, which is immediately to your left after you exit the elevators.  Can't miss it."

"Kamsahamnida," Amina bowed.  She entered the building and stepped into the elevator, punching the button for the third floor.  The halls were dimly lit when she walked out of the elevator. It was also eerily quiet on the floor.  Had the security guard not told her to head toward the recording studio, Amina would have left because it appeared no one was on this floor. She continued walking until she found the door marked "Recording Studio."  Through the frosted door pane, she could see shadows moving in the room.  Amina gently knocked on the door.

The door opened.  "Ah, noona!" exclaimed Seungri. "You found us.  Come in!"  He was dressed more casually than she had seen before.  He wore light faded khaki-colored jeans with a fitted black mock turtle neck ribbed sweater.  His hair was un-styled, giving him an innocent look.  Amina smiled at his warm greeting.  "Annyeong Seungri."

She stepped into the room and could see Jiyong looking over different bars on a large computer screen.  He wore a red plaid shirt and black stocking cap.  When he heard her voice, he turned around in his chair and greeted her and she returned the same.  She noticed Youngbae in the back of the room, half-slouched on the black leather sofa. As usual, he was decked out in black from head to toe. But before she could greet him, Amina was interrupted by Seungri.

"Noona... you left the performance early yesterday," complained Seungri. "I wish you would have came by to say goodbye."

"Oh... mianhae. I didn't feel well, so I left a little early."

"You got sick?"

"Aniyo... I was sick a couple of days earlier," she briefly explained.  "I guess I still wasn't a hundred percent last night."

Seungri nodded his head.  "Must be going around."

Amina quirked an eyebrow at him questioningly.

"Oh.. hyung's been feeling sick today too, isn't that right hyung?" Seungri nodded towards Youngbae.

Youngbae shifted slightly on the couch but continued to look straight ahead.

Amina felt her cheeks grow hot.  "Yeah... must be going around," she lamely replied.

Jiyong turned around in his chair, but not before Amina noticed a knowing smile on his face. She wondered if he knew. At that thought, she blushed even more.

"Well, you were great last night!" Seungri exclaimed, breaking her worried thoughts.  "I thought I was watching a true professional up there.  From the dancing and singing... Are you sure you're not like an undercover trainee?" he teased.

Amina smiled, "Aniyo... I took some classes when I was younger, but nothing professional."

"So you've never been in a recording studio before?"

"Aniyo... this is my first one," she replied.  She watched excitement light Seungri's eyes.  He couldn't wait to show off their studio.

"Let me show you around."

Amina shook her head. "It's okay.  I can tell you're working on something right now.  I don't want to intrude."

"No.. it's okay.  We're taking a break anyway." He tugged on her bag and set it down on the couch next to Youngbae.  "Come on," he tugged on her arm, leaving her no choice but to follow. Jiyong looked up as they made their way pass him towards the recording booth.

Seungri pulled open the recording booth door and pulled her in. Immediately Amina felt the effects of the sound proof room as it created a barrier from the outside world.  The echoes from within the room seemed to disappear inside the walls. She felt a little claustrophobic standing inside the tight room with Seungri.  But it didn't appear that Seungri minded at all. She forced her body to relax.

"Here, put these on," Seungri commanded, giving her a pair of headphones.  He gently pushed her in front of the recording mic. A flat computer screen hung directly behind the mic.

"This is a song we're currently working on for my album.  It's a collaboration between the hyungs and me."  He tapped on the touch screen and scrolled through the lines.  When he reached his part, he looked through the vocal booth window and nodded towards Jiyong.  "Hyung, can you re-play the track?"

Jiyong glanced quickly up before returning his gaze on the screen, flicking his wrist slightly before clicking on the mouse.  A bar of music notes blasted through Amina's headphones and she watched in amusement as Seungri swayed as he re-sang his lyrics.

Jiyong tapped on the glass.  "Put on the headset," he mouthed.  Seungri grabbed a second set of headphones sitting nearby and quickly plopped them on.

"I need you to record that part again," Jiyong directed.  He sounded serious and all business.  Amina felt uncomfortable hanging out in the booth.  "I think I'll just leave now," she quietly said, and slowly started to remove her headphones.

"No, no... it's fine," Seungri stopped her mid-motion. "It shouldn't take long. I'll show you how it's done," he replied with confidence.  "Okay, hyung, I'm ready."

Amina stood frozen, trying not to breathe or create any noise that would pick up on the recording. She listened as Jiyong replayed the track, the background vocals picking up slightly.  Seungri sang his verse with gusto and was cut off when Jiyong stopped the track.

"Again," ordered Jiyong.

Seungri cleared his voice and attempted to sing his line once more.  He was cut-off once more when the track stopped abruptly.

"Hold out the last note longer.  It needs to be in A-minor," directed Jiyong.  He hummed a sample of what he was looking for and replayed the track. Seungri tried once more but held up his hand to Jiyong to replay it again. The went back and forth several times.

Amina felt awkward watching Seungri struggle with his part.  She could see what Jiyong wanted Seungri to do, but the notes weren't connecting for him.  During a frustrated pause, Seungri looked at her with slight embarrassment.  "Mianhae... it usually goes smoother than this." He rubbed his neck in irritation.

Amina took pity on the maknae and shook her head in understanding. "It's alright... I think you're doing great."  She paused slightly before adding, "It's a difficult chord."  She glanced at the lyrics and casually sang the verse herself, holding the notes as she remembered Jiyong hum them earlier.

"Yes! Just like that," Jiyong's relieved voice blasted through their headphones. He unclicked the intercom button and said over his shoulder, "At least someone was taking notes."

Youngbae remained quiet, amused at the situation.

Inside the booth, Amina looked apologetically at Seungri's mock hurtful eyes of betrayal.  "Noona..."

"Miahnae..." She winced slightly at her faux pas, but couldn't help grinning slightly. 

Seungri sighed.  "I think you better leave now," he nodded while pretending a small frown on his face.  It contrasted greatly against the amusement that lingered in his eyes.

"Neh," Amina bowed her head solemnly, biting back her laughter.  She sat the headphones down on a nearby ottoman.  He leaned against the wall to allow her to squeeze on by. When she reached the door, she turned back and called out, "Seungri-yah..."

He glanced up at her, his lips pursed in a slight grin.

"Fighting!" Amina slightly pump-fisted the air and grinned whole-heartedly.  She watched as he broke into a full smile before shutting the door.

Laughter still lingered in her eyes as she made her way back.  Feeling light hearted, Amina sat down next to Youngbae who still had not moved, his slouching form and baseball cap concealing his eyes from her view.  She tilted her head and peered at him from underneath the rim.  "Annyeong," she said quietly. He straightened slightly and pushed up into a sitting position.

Seungri and Jiyong continued to work on the song in the background.  Amina lowered her voice to lessen the distraction.  "How are you feeling?" Blushing slightly with concern in her eyes, she added, "Are you really sick?"

He gazed into her eyes but ignored her question, "How are you feeling?" He searched her face for signs of fatigue.

"I feel a lot better today," she whispered.  "Thanks again for the soup... it really worked miracles for me."

"I'm glad it worked for you... It didn't seem to do anything for me." He angled his head slightly and gazed at her inviting lips.  "Are you sure it was the soup?"

Amina felt a tug of a smile on her lips.  "Do you have to start off our conversation like this?" she begged.

"Wae?" he grinned. "I have no idea what you mean."

Amina looked into his laughing eyes and could see that he wasn't going to give an inch.  He knew exactly what she meant.  Why there was still lingering awkwardness around them.  Why they couldn't seem to keep their lips off each other.  Why it felt so easy to tease one another when they knew it was really how they felt inside.  Amina sighed inwardly.  She would continue to play his game... for now.

"Well then... I have no idea what you mean either," Amina replied with ignorance.

He sighed, still smiling at her. "Amina-ah... tell me.  What does your medical school teach you about the flu?  Is it possible to get sick again if you're introduced to the same virus twice?"

She knew what he was trying to ask her.  She couldn't help smiling at his round-about question.  Tired of playing his game, she looked into his eyes and ily whispered, leaning in close to his face, "Youngbae-shi... if you want a kiss," she quirked an eyebrow and heard him in his breath, "then all you have to do is ask." Amina slowly moved away and grabbed her medical bag, paying him no attention.

Amina felt his hot gaze on her as she busied herself with getting the equipment set up.  Feeling dizzily happy inside, but trying not to showcase it, Amina nonchalantly asked, "Is there an electric outlet nearby?"

She waited patiently for him to respond, but he continued to sit there with a dumbfounded expression on his face. "Mwuh?" Amina asked innocently.


Youngbae knew he had been outplayed this round.  Curse Jiyong and his advice!  He said to take control and put it all out there, but Youngbae hadn't expected Amina to react so unaffected by it all.  Instead of him taking control, he felt like a little school boy again.  Her teasing left butterflies in his stomach.  He couldn't even find the right comeback to with because she had just expressed his uppermost desire tonight. He glanced around the room for an outlet.

"I think we're going to have to go next doors.  The only ones available are being used by the stereo and computer equipment."  Youngbae stood up and told Jiyong they were heading into the lounge. Jiyong nodded and returned his attention to the monitor.

Amina, feeling slightly disappointed in Youngbae's reactions, nodded and gathered her supplies back into the bag.  She didn't know what caused a change in his mood.  Amina worried that she went too far with her last comment.  She started to follow Youngbae out of the room, when he suddenly turned and grabbed the bag from her.  He opened the door to let her through. "Gomawo," she replied before proceeding ahead.

They went into a lounge that was directly across from the recording studio.  There was a large flat screen television, surrounded by modern black leather extra-wide sectionals and a white shaggy rug.  A plastic curved coffee table sat in the middle of the room.  A white modern half ball chair sat in the corner. The back wall of the room was surrounded by black glass, with electric lights displaying hits from various YG artists.  The other walls were covered in dark slabs of granite material, their dark colors lending a feeling of intimacy and comfort in the otherwise cold modern room.

Youngbae plugged the blood pressure monitor in an outlet near the head of one sectional before sitting down.  He started pulling up his pant leg for her inspection. This time, his uninjured leg was pressed up against the back of the sofa, giving more access to his right leg. Amina sat near his feet and picked up the blood pressure machine.  She scooted up once he moved his right leg to the floor.

Amina cuffed his arm and asked the standard questions.  She took down his vitals and said, "You can forego the pain medications today, if you haven't already." 

He nodded in response, distracted.

She quickly grabbed new gauze and bandages before examining his leg.  Everything looked normal and appeared to be healing as expected.  She told him as much before changing the wrap.  Once finished, she started to gather her equipment and power down tablet. "So, you're next appointment is with Dr. Park on Wednesday at noon."  Amina continued, "And then that's it.  After tonight, you can probably be done with the wrap as well.  Just make sure it's kept clean and dry, okay?"

"Neh," he replied.  They both stood up and looked at one another. The night was ending too quickly for Youngbae.  He needed to figure out a way to see her again.  His mind started racing for ideas.

"So I guess this means I won't see you again?" asked Youngbae.

It was a loaded question and they both knew it.  "Um.. I'll available at the hospital if you ever need to reach me. And I will probably be there for your visit with Dr. Park next week."  Amina knew it wasn't the answer he was looking for. "Well then... Annyeong."

She started to brush past him and paused when he grabbed her arm.  She looked at him expectantly. 

"Here, I'll take that," he said, attempting to take her bag.  "I'll drive you home tonight."

"No," she shook her head.  "You don't have to drive me home.  I'll take the transit."

"But it's late."

Amina pulled glanced at the clock above the television.  It was half past ten.  "I'll be fine.  I've gotten out of work later than this.  It's no big deal."

"But its snowing outside."

Amina followed Youngbae's gaze and lo and behold, it was snowing outside.  And it was coming down in heavy fat flakes.  Amina cringed inwardly at the trek she'd have to make to the station and the amount of time she'd have to wait until the next bus came by. But she would rather face that than prolonging the inevitable goodbye.  Amina grabbed her bag and pulled it over her shoulders.

"Wait..." Youngbae said, desperate to prolong her leaving.  He pulled the bag off her body and laid it next to them on the floor. "I don't want you to leave yet."


Amina glanced up Youngbae. His eyes pleaded her to stay, his voice sounded desperate.  She looked up at his face with uncertainty.  Was this the moment? Was he going to tell me that he wanted to see me again? Her heart skipped a beat, waiting for him to explain.  But she pretended to misunderstand him.  "Wae? Is there something else?"

He breathed in deeply and looked into her eyes.  "Neh, " he replied.  "I haven't gotten my kiss yet."

Warmth pooled into her stomach at his earnest request.  She felt blood rush to her cheeks and lips.  But as much as her body desired to kiss him, her heart sank when she realized that's all that he wanted from her.  Just another kiss.

"Oh..." She summoned a half smile.  "How could I forget?"

Youngbae noticed the slash of hurt in her eyes and immediately regretted his request.  He had only meant to .  He wished he could take back his words. "Amina-ah, I was..."

"Close your eyes."

"Mwuh?"

"Just close your eyes."

He stared at her for a few seconds, watching her face closely for signs of anger or hurt, but she schooled her features and hid her emotions well.  Youngbae slowly closed his eyes and waited.

Amina took in a deep breath and looked at the man standing before her.  With his eyes closed, she could observe him without caution.  Her eyes swept over his face, memorizing every feature.  She wished he knew how beautiful he was to her, both inside and out.  How her heart yearned to make him hers. She stepped closer to him and placed both of her hands lightly on his chest.

Very gently, she reached up and placed a kiss on the corner of his lips, moving slowly across his bottom lip until she made her way to the other corner.  Amina continued to kiss his lips lightly, taking her time to kiss every inch of his mouth.  She felt his muscles twitch slightly beneath her palms, the only reaction she'd earned from him so far.  Growing bolder, she increased her pressure and parted to worry his bottom lip in-between her own. 

Other than his torso becoming suddenly stiff, Amina didn't sense any other reaction from Youngbae.  Losing confidence, she slowed her kiss to a stop and looked down....  only to notice his hands were both fisted tightly against his sides. Her heart soared at the sight and she smiled slightly before she reached back up to further her kiss, closing her eyes and losing herself to him.

She moved her hands up his chest and looped them loosely around his neck, pressing her body full on his.  To Amina's delight, Youngbae reacted just as she hoped, placing his hands on her lower torso and bottom - bringing her body in closer contact to him than before.  He began to take over the kiss, increasing the pressure between their lips, scraping his five o'clock shadow across her lower jaw in his eagerness.  His tongue plunged with desire, marking her.  Amina moaned lightly into his mouth.

A quick knock sounded at the door, breaking their kiss.  Amina immediately dropped her hands from Youngbae's neck and buried her head in his chest as he shifted his body to block her from view. He called over his shoulder, "Yeah?"

"Oh... um, hyung says he's ready for you to sing your part now," an embarrassed Seungri stammered.  He quickly backed out of the doorway, intending to escape, but stopped when Youngbae called his name.

Still not fully turned around, his grip firm on Amina, Youngbae said over his shoulder, "I need you to drive Amina home tonight."

"Neh," Seungri bowed slightly.  "I'll wait for her outside."  He slowly closed the door and left.

Once the door click firmly closed, Amina lifted her head from Youngbae's chest and attempted to leave.  But Youngbae still held her imprisoned in his arms.  She looked up at his face, pressing lightly on his chest for him to let her go. But he didn't let her go.  Instead, he reached up and gently angled her face, rubbing her jaw and inspecting it.

Noticing the red marks he left on her delicate skin, Youngbae sighed and clucked his tongue.  "I need to shave..."

Confused and frustrated by his last parting remarks, she quickly wrestled herself out of his arms and reached down to grab her bag.  Without a second glance, she left the room.


Seungri stood patiently near the elevators, waiting for Amina to leave the lounge.  He didn't see what went down, but seeing how close those two were standing when he opened the door, made him certain that he almost walked in on something serious.  He pressed the elevator button as soon as he saw Amina rush out of the room.  She looked upset.

"Noona, are you okay?"

"Neh," she replied.  "Thanks for driving me home."  Amina looked down at the floor, ceasing all conversation. 

They walked in companionable silence as they left the building and got into Seungri's silver Jaguar XJ.  They left the parking lot and headed to her apartment in Suyu-dong.  After a few moments of silence, Seungri looked over to check on Amina.

"So I guess today is your last day for taking care of hyung's injuries?"

"Neh." Amina continued to look out the window.

More awkward silence.

"I'm going to miss seeing you around..."  Seungri said. 

At that remark, Amina turned in her seat to face him. "I'm going to miss seeing you too Seungri... It's been fun."

"Yeah, it has been. The hyungs don't pick on me as much when you're around."

Amina laughed.

"Yeah it's been fun," he repeated. "But it doesn't have to end.  What are you doing tomorrow?"

Amina couldn't help but smile at the maknae's tenacity.  She wished someone else had the same courage.

"Nothing.  It's my first free weekend," she replied without thinking.  "Maybe I'll do a little home decor shopping."

He nodded.  "Well, if you're free I have this party I'm going to tomorrow.  I've been having trouble finding a date."

"You? Having trouble finding date?"  She shook her head and smiled.  "I don't believe you."

"It's true," Seungri nodded solemnly.  "I can't bring just anyone either... it's a company party."

"Oh," Amina replied.  She silently wished she had made something up for this weekend.

"Yeah... all the hyungs are bringing someone, but I haven't found a date yet," he replied, stretching out the truth.  He knew he would get in trouble from his white lie, but he was doing it for a good cause.  They would thank him later.

"I"m sure you'll find someone to take with you."

"Not by tomorrow."  He revved up his engine at the stop light.  "I can't believe it... another party without a date.  I'm going to get an earful this time," he said, shaking his head.  "I really can't show up without a date."

Amina felt sympathy for the maknae.  It was true that he did get picked on a lot in the group.  She'd seen it with her own eyes.  But to tease someone over not having a date to the party?  That was going a bit too far...

"I'll go with you," she replied, shrugging.

"Jjinja?"

"Neh..."

"Are you sure?  I mean, can I ask you something first?  I don't want you to take this too personal."

Puzzled by his remark, Amina replied, "Sure, ask away."

Seungri paused. "How do I say this... Is there something going on between you and Youngbae hyung?"

Amina hadn't expected the question and it caught her off guard.

"I mean... because if there is, you don't have to go.  It would be awkward. Especially since he's bringing someone else... Aigo... I'm making a mess of this, aren't I?"

Amina looked down and laughed it off.  "Aniyo Seungri... There's nothing going on with me and Youngbae oppa."  She looked at him with sadness in her eyes.  "Absolutely nothing at all."

Seungri watched as Amina returned her gaze towards the road.  He felt a pang of guilt for asking her the question.  It obviously hurt her to answer it, even if her actions said otherwise.  "Okay then... I guess I'll pick you up at seven tomorrow," he replied right as he was turning into the apartment parking garage.

"Okay.. I'll see you tomorrow." Amina let herself out of the car and walked into the building.